…Tryin’ to Change the Whole Wide World…I- Isolation

We’ve done our best to practice social isolation in order to flatten the curve of the pandemic this week. As COVID-19 continues to spread across America and the world, more things are being cancelled or postponed. This week, it was announced that the Indy 500 will now be a sweat box when it is held this year at the end of August. The Olympics won’t occur this year. They may try to hold them next year, but some countries and some athletes have already pulled-out of these games. Even the annual Hot Wheels convention has been cancelled for the first time ever. …And there are dozens of stories like that all over the place. There is still no sports, no concerts and no social gatherings as people try to stay away from each other to keep this damn disease from spreading. We’ve done well to abide by the stay at home order. Outside of going to work, we stayed put for the most part. Matt had a full week of teaching from his apartment in Greenwood, doing e-learning for his students. Abby had a full week of classes from home, doing e-learning as well. Luke continued to enjoy his extended Spring Break this week. He and Abby have maintained quarantine all week and even got so bored they began Spring cleaning the house! Ann & I continued to work each day as healthcare is considered essential – making us immune to the travel ban. I only logged a little over nine miles but still managed to lose about three pounds this week. The dogs are loving having the kids in the house. The Coronavirus has ramped up here locally as well. In fact, Decatur now has more cases per capita than any other county in the state. We are trying to stay positive and keep to ourselves as much as much as possible. We’re missing our friends and family but realize that we have a social responsibility to help keep everyone safe right now. As I keep telling Luke…this, too, shall pass… Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work for Ann & I on Monday morning. It took me a couple extra snoozes on the alarm to get my butt in gear. We had a chilly start in the 30s but it warmed nicely into the 60s and we even got to see Mr. Sun for a bit. Although it was a typical Monday at work for both of us, Ann said her day had flown by as quickly as mine. Before I knew it, I was out walking two miles around the airport property. The college campus was empty – like a ghost town. There were maybe seven cars in all the lots combined – security and maintenance, I presume. There was light traffic on Poshard and Central, but the rest of my walk I saw more folks out biking, skating and running than I did driving. The governor had declared a travel ban for the entire state earlier that day. For now, it still doesn’t include healthcare; so it won’t affect Ann or I…but it was weird – most people were complying with the request as it looked like a holiday weekend out by us. The commute to and from work was even lighter than last week and I assume it will continue to thin out when the official ban goes into effect on Wednesday. The kids kept busy by cleaning the house again that day. They cleaned both their bedrooms. We were impressed at how good they looked! I asked why they hadn’t gotten to the closets or under the beds, but they said that was later… Ann made dinner that evening – a chicken pasta dish that was really good…despite not having all the correct ingredients. The kids hung out with us that evening and watched the new X-Men movie on the big screen. Gary came back that evening to spend time with Ms. Abby before the restrictions kick in… Here are pictures from Matt’s birthday party last weekend.

lp20.03.05 mbdp20.01 mbdp20.02 mbdp20.03 mbdp20.04 mbdp20.05 mbdp20.06 mbdp20.07 mbdp20.08 mbdp20.09 mbdp20.10 mbdp20.11 mbdp20.12 mbdp20.13 mbdp20.14 mbdp20.15 mbdp20.16 mbdp20.17 mbdp20.18 mbdp20.19

Abby had a cute note waiting for Ms. Ann that morning, reminding her to take the fruit salad that Bu made yesterday with her for lunch. It was a little warmer and there was a pretty sunrise greeting us for our trip to Columbus. It was another fast day for both of us as we continue dealing with the COVID-19 impact upon our businesses. As for me, I set up two employees to work from home, trained all our therapists on how to use laptops and zoom (telehealth app) to hold virtual family sessions and then began prepping with my team to create a negative pressure room – just in case the illness makes it into the facility somehow. I looked up at one point, thinking it was time for lunch…only to realize it was after 2 already! That afternoon, I walked about three miles around the empty airport property. I was pleased to see even more people out exercising – especially families. It began raining when we got home and I think it pretty much rained all night. Luke had cleaned parts of the house, Abby and Gary did e-learning and he ended up sleeping over again on the final night before the statewide travel ban goes into effect for the next two weeks. Bu was sad when she received the official word today – FC would be on e-learning the rest of the semester. She said that instructions would come later, regarding when they could come get their stuff from the dorms. She was pretty bummed to say the least… We took it easy, watching DVR’d shows that evening until I fell asleep on the couch and went to bed. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis20.03.195 sis20.03.196 sis20.03.197 sis20.03.198 sis20.03.199 sis20.03.200 sis20.03.201 sis20.03.202 sis20.03.203 sis20.03.204 sis20.03.205 sis20.03.206 sis20.03.207 sis20.03.208 sis20.03.209 sis20.03.210 sis20.03.211 sis20.03.212 sis20.03.213 sis20.03.214 sis20.03.215 sis20.03.216 sis20.03.217 sis20.03.218 sis20.03.219 sis20.03.220 sis20.03.221 sis20.03.222 sis20.03.223 sis20.03.224 sis20.03.225 sis20.03.226 sis20.03.227 sis20.03.228 sis20.03.229 sis20.03.230 sis20.03.231 sis20.03.232 sis20.03.233 sis20.03.234 sis20.03.235 sis20.03.236 sis20.03.237 sis20.03.238 sis20.03.239 sis20.03.240 sis20.03.241 sis20.03.242 sis20.03.243 sis20.03.244 sis20.03.245 sis20.03.246 sis20.03.247 sis20.03.248 sis20.03.249 sis20.03.250 sis20.03.251 sis20.03.252 sis20.03.253 sis20.03.254 sis20.03.255 sis20.03.256 sis20.03.257 sis20.03.258 sis20.03.259 sis20.03.260

Annie & I slept like babies overnight and had a little trouble pushing snooze on Humpday. We had a lonely, foggy commute to work that morning. There was obviously decreased traffic, but the fog made it feel like we were the only ones on the road. It was more of the same at work for both of us as we continue to adjust to the current new norm. I finally saw daylight at the end of my tunnel and late that afternoon, I actually completed a normal task that was due a couple weeks ago – LOL. Thankfully, the Joint Commission and other governing bodies have loosened their regulatory guidelines a bit to help us manage during this emergent time. Vic ran to Captain D’s for Justin, Michelle and I then I guilt-walked about three miles around an oddly-quiet college campus and airport grounds. All the parking lots are empty out there right now – except ours. There were a bunch of families out enjoying the sunny weather that afternoon again. Ann ordered BWR for dinner on the ride home. We swung by Needlers to pick up a few supplies and ran into Angie. I hated we couldn’t get the gang together for Bryan’s birthday yesterday, but we’ll have to make it up to him when this is all over. On our way out, we saw Jamie and stopped to talk with him for a minute. He said he & Dee were doing good but looking for TP like the rest of us. 😊 We picked up dinner from Wings and talked with Randall and Mary for a bit. We had quite the meal when we got home, carrying it home in a huge box that resembled something you’d see if we were getting our meal catered or something. We had a ton of leftovers as, unbeknownst to us, Gary had gone home shortly before we got to the house. We got things cleaned up and Luke & I went out back to throw. I wanted to get his new mitt worked-in a little. We need to do a lot more of that this week and next, if the weather can hold-out. Ann made Moscow Mules for us and Abby took my place while I joined Ann on the back porch. Abby got the outdoor furniture cushions out for the first time but we ended up putting them away when we were done that night, for fear Delilah would eat them! We enjoyed some back-porch time and watched a lovely sunset with a couple cocktails. Abby & Luke joined us for a little family time. It was actually quite nice. We laughed and laughed. I hope we can have more moments like this as the weather continues to warm. It was good for the soul… We came in and got warmed up and sat down to watch some TV and promptly fell asleep. I think Ann was actually out before me this time! Here are pictures of the latest additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.03.37 hwc20.03.38 hwc20.03.39 hwc20.03.41 hwc20.03.43 hwc20.03.44 hwc20.03.45 hwc20.03.46

We were up far too early on Thursday morning to head off to work. The roads were virtually deserted. I’d say there were about two dozen cars total. Ann and I are both finally starting to slow down at work. I fasted all day due to all the horrible things I ate yesterday and it felt good. I was late getting out to walk and didn’t quite get in two miles. It started storming while I was headed back to work and we drove through the rain most of the way home. Once it stopped, there was a cool rainbow. Ann cooked dinner when we got home, making smothered cheesy sour cream chicken and corn on the cob. The kids were busy today as well. Abby attended e-school on the patio with the dogs. That afternoon, they cleaned the half bath and the laundry room. It looks great! We were quite pleased when we got home. We had left one of the old cushions on the patio furniture as a test…and Delilah tore the crap out of it, unfortunately. Once the storms blew through town, we opened up the house and enjoyed the great weather.

I was up early and into work on a rainy Friday morning. Ann slept in, enjoying a well-earned day off. She and Abs went to Dunkin for coffee and donuts. Bu did college classes from home that morning while Luke slept-in until the girls let Delilah in his bedroom and it wasn’t long until he was up. The kids cleaned the big bathroom and it looked better than it has in a long time – they even got the closet re-organized! I had a fast day then left in the early afternoon. I stopped by 450 N for a couple bottles of wine and a growler of their Honey Kolsch. I picked up Bu and ran errands around town for about two hours. When we got home, we got everything put away and prepped for Family Night. We hadn’t had one in a long time. We played a couple games of Uno, Ann made Fireworks popcorn for dinner on the couches and we watched the new Star Wars movie on the big screen- Episode 9 (Rise of Skywalker). It was an epic way to wrap up the Skywalker story. I hear they are still going to make Star Wars films but that they will be using new characters in a different storyline. I guess time will tell… We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp20.03.129 smp20.03.130 smp20.03.131 smp20.03.132 smp20.03.133 smp20.03.134 smp20.03.135 smp20.03.136 smp20.03.137 smp20.03.138 smp20.03.139 smp20.03.140 smp20.03.141 smp20.03.142 smp20.03.143 smp20.03.144 smp20.03.145 smp20.03.146 smp20.03.147 smp20.03.148 smp20.03.149 smp20.03.150 smp20.03.151 smp20.03.152 smp20.03.153 smp20.03.154 smp20.03.155 smp20.03.156 smp20.03.157 smp20.03.158 smp20.03.159 smp20.03.160 smp20.03.161 smp20.03.162 smp20.03.163 smp20.03.164 smp20.03.165 smp20.03.166 smp20.03.167 smp20.03.168 smp20.03.169 smp20.03.170 smp20.03.171 smp20.03.172 smp20.03.173 smp20.03.174 smp20.03.175 smp20.03.176 smp20.03.177 smp20.03.178 smp20.03.179 smp20.03.180 smp20.03.181 smp20.03.182

We were up early on Saturday morning. I had forgotten to turn my alarm off so I was awake at 6. I tossed and turned for an hour before finally just getting up and doing a few morning chores. The girls didn’t sleep in much later. They ended up driving back to St. Paul’s Wildflour Bakery for more delights. 😊 Luke, on the other hand, slept until the girls got him up to eat donuts when they got home…Lord knows how long he was up last night playing Call of Duty on that PS4. The pastries were amazing as always. Mine were savory instead of sweet, but Abby let me have a couple nibbles off the good ones. It rained a couple times but didn’t storm like they said it would. We had the house open until it got too humid and we had to close it back up. We enjoyed a family day by playing Aggravation. Annie was the big wiener that night. We then moved into the living room to watch a movie on the home theater called The Invisible Man and drank a bottle of Simmons rhubarb wine, which was really good. Ann made some sort of southwest chicken, cauliflower rice and Mexican street corn for dinner and we ate every last bit of it! Afterward, we watched a little TV and relaxed. Luke and I got outside and checked fluids in the vehicle then played catch for about a half hour over in Mr. Green’s side yard. That night, we played Scrabble and had a few cocktails. It was close, but dear ol’ Dad pulled out the win. Ann & Luke bowed out but Abby & I played a quick game of Yahtzee and then went out on the back porch with Delilah and watched the storm roll through town. There was lots of pretty lightning. When Ann went to bed, Bu and I tried to watch a scary movie called the Grudge but we fell asleep shortly into it.

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. The storms were gone and we enjoyed a cooler, sunny day. We opened the house back up and enjoyed a nice breeze that day as we did our weekly household chores. Ann read her newest book and napped while I enjoyed a Sci-Fi morning of a classic Star Trek episode and new episodes of Ancient Aliens and the Bill Shatner series called The Unexplained. While I wrote out this week’s html code for the blog, Abs got up and hit the books and Lukey slept till noon. The girls made a big lunch of homemade meatballs in a homemade sauce. Yum! Afterward, we took naps while I finished writing this week’s blog entry. I think I nodded off a few times. When we got up that evening, we dug the bikes out of the shed so the kids could ride them next week then played a couple games of Clue with the old man bringing home the gold both times! 😊 We enjoyed a new cocktail during the game – a raspberry Limoncello Moscato – and it was pretty good. Afterward, we settled flopped on the couches with big bowls of Fireworks popcorn and watched The Magnificent 7 on the big screen until bedtime. It was a relaxing way to wind down the weekend and put a cap on another week before we get up and do it all over again in the morning…

Next up is our Waybac section. We continue to feature miscellaneous photo albums from a box in our bedroom closet. We lead off this week in Greensburg, where we find Maggie the dog in ’84, Ann & Amy in ’85 and Ann’s Jez in ’87 – all at her childhood home on Main St.; then we see a photo of Ann with her Delta Delta Delta sorority sisters in their suite at FC, circa 1990; next we have Paul & I striking a pose on my wedding day in the ‘Burg followed by more pix of our reception in Columbus – both in September 1995; and finally we see Abby in her GES yearbook from 2009.

Waybac.1984.moms01 Waybac.1985.aimsh00 Waybac.1985.aimsh01 Waybac.1987.ajc01 Waybac.1990.awtds01 Waybac.1990.awtds02 Waybac.1995.09.taw94 Waybac.1995.09.taw95 Waybac.1995.09.taw96 Waybac.1995.09.taw97 Waybac.1995.09.taw98 Waybac.1995.09.tawr185 Waybac.1995.09.tawr186 Waybac.1995.09.tawr187 Waybac.1995.09.tawr188 Waybac.2009.agyb01 Waybac.2009.agyb02 Waybac.2009.agyb03 Waybac.2009.agyb04

And finally, we have our video section which features one new home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s entry into the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one, practice social distancing and stay safe. We miss ya Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply