I’ve Never Kissed a Goon, but I can Shake a Chicken…

We’ve enjoyed a short work week, here at the Scheu abode. The weather was up and down, but hey; it’s Indiana so we expect that… We were able to turn the air off and open the house – which is always good. We enjoyed more patio time this week, continuing to play Around the World in the liquor cabinet. Speaking of which, Ann & I continue to search for a liquor cabinet but haven’t found anything we like yet. Matt enjoyed most of the week off. He did help out at the school to coordinate the end-of-year locker cleanouts but otherwise began looking for a new apartment as Ms. Taylor continues her job search. Abs worked fulltime and made a road trip to see Gary again this week. Luke worked part time and enjoyed hanging out with his friends and engaging in his newest sport – fishing! Ann & I continue to work during the pandemic and are thankful to have jobs. I compressed my work week into three days, so they were packed. I got out of work late each day and as such only managed to log about half of my exercise goal, getting in a mere 8 miles of walking. We received a lot of rain this week to go with all our sunshine, which meant the grass really grew. Most of the neighbors aren’t working and were able to get out and mow three times but Luke & I only mowed ours once and it was really tough. I think I killed the mower about a half dozen times in the long grass. We had some sad news this week as we lost our dear Uncle Chuck – better know to all of us cousins as Uncle Goon. He was 75 and was just a hell of a guy. There was a great description of him in his obit that summed it up perfectly, “his booming voice and loving heart will be missed by us all.” He was a huge man but was always the uncle that was on the floor playing with us kids. Whenever I think of him, I always end up smiling as I fondly remember the times he would try to sit on me or tickle me until I screamed – LOL – he even did that to my kids! Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

We all enjoyed sleeping in on Memorial Day. Abs was the first up and let the dogs out before heading over to Memaw’s house for breakfast and then going on to work at Wings & Rings. Ann & I slowly got out of bed and got around to doing our weekly household chores. We didn’t do much besides watch the Coca-Cola 600 and take a nap. Meanwhile, Luke hung out with Kam all day, going fishing with Jessica and then shopping at the outlet mall outside Columbus. They would up at Dick’s in Greenwood. He came by to grab his TV, PS4 and tent before heading out with Kam to Oakley’s house to go camping and fishing and spend the night out there. When Abs got off work, she & Ann ran errands and then later, she and I went to Walmart to get supplies for patio time and ran past BWR to pickup dinner. We saw Kristen tending bar out there. She got me a shot of Cabo Wabo as well as mix me a quick drink called Liquid Marijuana. I will have to get the liquor for it because it was really good. We came home to eat and then we made cocktails with the new Hard Truth cinnamon vodka we picked up at Big Woods when we moved Bu out of college. First up, we made Crimson Sours and enjoyed them out on the patio. We decided I still need to work on that mix – LOL! It was still very warm and extremely humid, but it was all good. After we polished off those, we changed over to a drink called a CV Spritzer. Those were much more our speed. We came inside and watched the new episode of Rick & Morty, the latest video on the blog (which has some old video clips from 2003) and then a couple episodes of SVU before calling it a night. Here are pictures from last weekend’s prom night for Irene…

lp20.05.05 pn20.01 pn20.02 pn20.03 pn20.04 pn20.05 pn20.06 pn20.07 pn20.08 pn20.09 pn20.10 pn20.11 pn20.12 pn20.13 pn20.14 pn20.15 pn20.16 pn20.17 pn20.18 pn20.19 pn20.20 pn20.21 pn20.22 pn20.23 pn20.24 pn20.25 pn20.26 pn20.27 pn20.28 pn20.29 pn20.30 pn20.31 pn20.32 pn20.33 pn20.34 pn20.35 pn20.36 pn20.37 pn20.38 pn20.39 pn20.40 pn20.41 pn20.42 pn20.43 pn20.44 pn20.45 pn20.46 pn20.47 pn20.48 pn20.49 pn20.50 pn20.51 pn20.52 pn20.53 pn20.54 pn20.55

We grudgingly returned to work after our four-day weekend. I did pretty well with my alarm – better than I thought I would anyhow. Ann & I both had very fast days. She ended up working up front on the phones and I began my monthly EOC rounds. I also did our monthly generator test, video surveillance rounds and attended an important meeting about how and when we’re going to start opening up to allow home passes and visitation again in June. I was late getting out of work and only managed to walk about a half hour but did get in a little over two miles for my trouble. It was hot and humid and I sure was sweaty when I went over to Ann’s to unload Black Betty. We returned all the items we borrowed from Ann’s coworkers for the Prom this past weekend. We ran errands when we got back to town, including making a stop at the Kennedy’s to chat and return the sno-cone machine. We ran Betty through the carwash for the first time this year before we headed on home. Abby had the day off from work. After Luke helped her get her college stuff put away (finally), she headed up to New Castle to go swimming and spend the night at Gary’s house. Luke also had the day off. After returning from camping at Oakley’s house, he went out to the high school to return his laptop and clean out his locker. They were supposed to pick-up their yearbooks, but unfortunately, they weren’t ready. Annie made cheesy popcorn with our favorite parmesan that we haven’t been able to find for about a year.

We were back to work on a wet Wednesday. It was day two for my EOC rounds and a very busy day it was as I got in over 10K steps again that day. I didn’t get out of work on time again and only managed to walk a mile and a half in about thirty minutes. We came home and took it easy. Ann made enchilada chicken and Mexican street corn that was quite tasty. I edited pictures and videos while we binge-watched season 2 of Dead to Me on Netflix. We were saddened to hear that my Uncle Chuck had passed away late last night. Uncle Goon was a huge man that had a heart of gold. As a child, his deep voice and looming height were quite intimidating. He loved to wrestle with us kids on the floor when we were little. We didn’t see much of him the last year or two, unfortunately. Apparently, he had been sick for the last few months and been in and out of the hospital. He went in again a couple weeks ago but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, no one was allowed to visit him for the final eleven days of his life and by the time Cindy and family were allowed to see him, he was already gone…very sad. I spoke with Dad & Barb that morning and of course Dad was just heartbroken. Barbie said he had both heart and lung issues, so it wasn’t immediately clear what, exactly, lead to his demise. I spent the evening going through our pictures, looking for ones of Chuck, as Cathy asked me to find some for her. Meanwhile, Luke had the day off and enjoyed spending time with Kam and later saw Jessica for a while. Abby worked that evening at BWR and didn’t get home until late. We broke out the new Hard Truth toasted coconut rum and tried to make Tropical Bay Breezes but the toasted part just didn’t work right with that mix. We stomached it but decided it would be better just on the rocks in the future. We’ll stick to the Blue Chair Bay for these types of drinks in the future. Here are random pictures of our recent adventures.

sis20.05.283 sis20.05.284 sis20.05.285 sis20.05.286 sis20.05.287 sis20.05.288 sis20.05.289 sis20.05.290 sis20.05.291 sis20.05.292 sis20.05.293 sis20.05.294 sis20.05.295 sis20.05.296 sis20.05.297 sis20.05.298 sis20.05.299 sis20.05.300 sis20.05.301 sis20.05.302 sis20.05.303 sis20.05.304 sis20.05.305 sis20.05.306 sis20.05.307 sis20.05.308 sis20.05.309 sis20.05.310 sis20.05.311 sis20.05.312 sis20.05.313 sis20.05.314 sis20.05.315 sis20.05.316 sis20.05.317 sis20.05.318 sis20.05.319 sis20.05.320 sis20.05.321 sis20.05.322 sis20.05.323 sis20.05.324 sis20.05.325

It was another humid start to our Thursday. Luke & Abby had the day off and went to Grandma’s house for breakfast with Matt. He came down for the day to see everyone and stay the night. The kids played video games on the Switch and ran around town trying to find me liquor we wanted for drinks that night. Unfortunately, they couldn’t find anything at any of the liquor stores in Greensburg. So, after I picked up Ann, we ran to the big Cork in Columbus before we left town and picked up a few bottles for our Around the World game that evening. Meanwhile, the kids ran to ElRep for dinner that night and we enjoyed a big meal around the table, just like old times again. It had been a while since just the five us had dinner together. It was kind of nice. We started off with Negroni cocktails. I didn’t get the mix quite right and they weren’t the best we’ve had so I’m not sure we would do them again. If we did, I’d have to change the mix a little for our taste. Next up we had Gimlets. They were much better and we could’ve had a couple of them but we had to make up for last time this week. Instead, we moved on to that fun drink I had earlier in the week called Liquid Marijuana. I have to admit that although it was good, it was not as good as Kristen’s, so I have to talk with her and see what we did different. Amy came over that night with Mabel to enjoy some patio time with us. We decided we needed cigars, so Luke ran Matt & I to the local Cork – but they were out of the stogies we wanted so we settled on some others that were OK. Lucas dropped us off then went on to stay the night at Oakley’s house. When we got back, we made Long Island Ice Teas and enjoyed a good smoke with our cocktail. We wrapped up the evening with a bottle of blueberry Ertel wine from Batesville. We cleaned up outside and then did the dishes (who knew mixology would require so many things?!) before cueing up a classic Rick & Morty episode called, “Pickle Rick.” It was AMAZING. I honestly never thought I’d find a newer cartoon that I could appreciate but this one episode has renewed my faith in newer animation – one of my passions. I can’t wait to binge-watch the whole series and catch up with Matt & Abby. I talked with Cathy earlier that day and she asked me to make a picture-compilation video with a few of Uncle Goon’s favorite songs. So I’ll began putting that together that evening. Here are pictures of a few recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.05.47 hwc20.05.48 hwc20.05.49 hwc20.05.50 hwc20.05.51 hwc20.05.52 hwc20.05.53 hwc20.05.54 hwc20.05.55 hwc20.05.56 hwc20.05.57

The girls were up early to get coffee on Friday morning. Abs dropped off Annie uptown at her office then came home to get cleaned-up and went to work at Wings all day and night, pulling another double. Luke & Oak got up and went with Coach Harris to do some concrete work for a few hours. Meanwhile, Matt & I slowly got up and did a few things around the house. About mid-morning we got Delilah loaded into Black Betty and picked up Ann at work. We drove out to Westport to a new groomer Ann wanted to try. We had a few hours to kill so we went to Pizzalicious for lunch. Luke ended up joining us as well. Matt left from the restaurant to stop by Gma’s before heading back up to Greenwood to see Taylor. Luke left to catch some ZZZs before working at Arby’s that night. After lunch, we drove around town, which obviously didn’t take long. We wound shopping at the Dollar Gennie and grabbed some ice cream at DQ. We did some country cruising, went through the graveyard where the Biddingers are buried and then just drove back out to the groomer’s farm and parked in her lot and waited for her to get done. Three hours later, she finally came out. OMG – what a difference! She had so many mats in her hair that she had to be shaved. She’s so stinkin’ skinny! She looks like a totally different dog. It rained for hours today so that when we finally got home, it was simply too wet to mow. Instead, we came in and napped while watching all the DVR’d races from this week. We watched the rest of Dead to Me season 2 and look forward to a third. We began watching another one called Outer Banks, which is another Netflix original. Abs came home and told us about her day. She was pretty fired up and talked really loudly. She said had a good day but her feet were killing her. A little while later, Lukey came home after spending a couple hours with Kam after work. He said he had an interview out there tomorrow – good grief; I’m not sure if that’s such a great idea that those two knuckleheads work together at the same time…LOL! We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp20.05.247 smp20.05.248 smp20.05.249 smp20.05.250 smp20.05.251 smp20.05.252 smp20.05.253 smp20.05.254 smp20.05.255 smp20.05.256 smp20.05.257 smp20.05.258 smp20.05.259 smp20.05.260 smp20.05.261 smp20.05.262 smp20.05.263 smp20.05.264 smp20.05.265 smp20.05.266 smp20.05.267 smp20.05.268 smp20.05.269 smp20.05.270 smp20.05.271 smp20.05.272 smp20.05.273 smp20.05.274 smp20.05.275 smp20.05.276 smp20.05.277 smp20.05.278 smp20.05.279 smp20.05.280 smp20.05.281 smp20.05.282 smp20.05.283 smp20.05.284 smp20.05.285 smp20.05.286

The girls were up early again on Saturday morning while Luke & I enjoyed sleeping in a few hours. Abby and Ann returned to St. Paul for their weekly visit to Wildflour for more pastry treats and then stopped by Dunkin for coffee and tea. I won’t lie; I kind of like their new weekend routine. 😊 Luke & I slowly got moving and got outside to check fluids in our vehicles. Afterward, we loaded up Betty White and ran some errands around town and then went to Mom & Sandy’s house to mow and trim the yard while Ann took a nap and Bu went to work at Wings. Kam ended up walking over from his house across the street to come over and help. The boys mowed while I trimmed. We visited with Gma & Gigi for a little while and then came back home to mow. Luke did the front while I did the back. As thanks, I bought takeout from Taco Bell for lunch and gave him a new $20 bill for his report card. We ate our lunch and then I worked on html code for this week’s blog entry and Luke went into work early, taking the truck because it is such a fun ride in this type of weather. It was noticeably cooler and the humidity finally left town so we opened up the house again. Later, Ann & I went uptown to look for a liquor cabinet and wound up in Batesville. We couldn’t find any shops open so went to their huge liquor store and ended up we several new bottles of goodies. Although we didn’t find a liquor cabinet, we did find plenty of liquor! We bumped into Paul as we were walking out. We made tentative plans to get together with them in a few weeks. That evening, I began working on creating Uncle Chuck’s memorial video while we binge-watched SVU on Ion. Kimmy called with Aunt Sue and Jackie and maybe Vick; I couldn’t tell…they were laughing so much as they went through a huge batch of old family pix. We made plans to get together at some point, early next week because I don’t think Aunt Sue & Jack can stay in town that long. We ended up going out to the Sunken Boat Bar for a couple hours later that evening where we met up with Bryan & Angie as well as Bob & Pam for some social distancing cocktails around the fire pit on a perfect night. We came home about the time Abs got off work and visited with her for a bit. We enjoyed an Electric Lemonade cocktail to wind down the evening and called it a night.

We all enjoyed sleeping in on a lovely Sunday morning. It as the last day of May and It was refreshing to have the house open with a nice breeze blowing through it. We slowly got around to doing weekly household chores. We took it easy, binge-watching the remainder of the Netflix show Outer Banks. I compiled about a couple hundred pictures of Uncle Chuck and created a video to take to the gathering next week. You can view an early draft of it here: https://scheumann.us/Uncle_Goon.mp4. I’m not done with it yet, so it is not the one that will be shown at the funeral home. Abby got up about mid-morning and went into work at BWR. Luke came home from fishing a little while afterward. He didn’t catch anything, unfortunately. He pretty much went to bed and slept past the time he was supposed to be at work. He was mad at us for letting him sleep, but we told him it was his responsibility – not ours. He worked at Arby’s until after dark. Abby was even later. We plopped on the couch and enjoyed the down time with the dogs. I watched the NASCAR race and worked on the blog while Ms. Ann read a book. It was a relaxing way to wind down the weekend and put a cap on another week…

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature some classics from nearly two decades ago, in 2003: We start in June where we find the kids hanging out with Gma & Gigi on Main St.; a few photos of Luke’s birth in Columbus and Gracie visiting with Gigi & Memaw; then we move on to July for 4th of July fun – parade downtown, lunch on Main St and then swimming & fireworks in Ryle; then we have a couple fun pix from Sandy’s birthday party; next we move on to October where the girls are trick-or-treating at Grandma & Gigi’s house; in November we had Gma’s birthday party and Thanxmas; and finally we have a couple in December during Christmas Eve with Mom & Sandy.

Waybac.2003.06.ggh06 Waybac.2003.06.ggh07 Waybac.2003.06.lbd05 Waybac.2003.06.lbd06 Waybac.2003.06.lbd07 Waybac.2003.06.sic04 Waybac.2003.07.foj24 Waybac.2003.07.foj25 Waybac.2003.07.foj26 Waybac.2003.07.foj27 Waybac.2003.07.foj28 Waybac.2003.07.foj29 Waybac.2003.07.gbd05 Waybac.2003.07.gbd06 Waybac.2003.10.tot04 Waybac.2003.11.maobd01 Waybac.2003.11.txm15 Waybac.2003.11.txm16 Waybac.2003.11.txm17 Waybac.2003.12.oce06 Waybac.2003.12.oce07 lp20.05.05

Next up is our video segment which features one new home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply