Reaction Making Impact…Invisibly

We had a fast week blur past us this week. It was back to a full week of work for Ann & I. In fact, I worked more hours this week than I did the last three weeks of December!! Matt returned to work as well as wrestling this week. He also had his first competition, the annual Green/Gold scrimmage. Abby enjoyed a down week, spending time with family and friends, including going up to see Gary. Luke returned to school, wrestling and work this week. He gave us quite a scare when had an allergic reaction to something while at school. Ann & I had fast work weeks as we returned to business as usual after a nice vacation away from it all. I began working on trying to get a handle on my diet and got back to walking this week. I managed to log about a little under eight miles. It was well short of my goal, but at least it was something. I hope to do more next week. It was good to see my work friends and we even got to spend time with Mom & Sandy as well as our other friends this week. Poor Molly had a rough week. She was noticeably different this week, week and sleepy. She only got up to pee and occasionally drink or eat. She had constant accidents unless she was wearing her doggy diaper. She has more and more blood in her urine. It’s hard to tell how much pain she is in because she has such a high tolerance. I’m glad Abby made the paw Christmas ornament because she is really slowing down and I’m just not sure how much longer she’ll be around at this point. The weather turned colder but at least it was dry! Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

We grudgingly got up early on Monday morning to return to work. It was a long, busy day for both Ann & I. I heard her tell Mom O later that, “You could tell I’d been gone for a week and a half.” I concur; you could tell that I hadn’t been there for a couple weeks just because of all the little things and a couple weird things that folks obviously had to do in a pinch until I returned. I was thankful that I had worked from home three days over the break so I had a decent hold on emails. If not, I would’ve easily had about 250 emails during that span. The guys and I went to lunch at Snappy but it did not agree with my tummy that afternoon. I walked a 5K outside in my new running shoes I got for Christmas. My feel felt like they were walking on clouds! I was pretty winded as I am totally out of shape after so few workouts during the month of December. It felt good to get out there and I just hope the weather holds out…but I know better… Luke enjoyed sleeping in on his final day of vacation. He went to wrestling practice. When he got back, he showered and went straight to his room. We didn’t see him the rest of the evening. Abby and Gary also slept in. They drove up to campus to visit and have a birthday lunch with one of their friends. Gary returned to his house afterward and Abby came back home. I watched the Purdue bball game from this weekend vs. Illinois. Although they looked better than last week, it was the same outcome for the young Boiler-Brats – who still haven’t won a game outside of the friendly confines of Mackey. Abs wanted to have a fire that night, but I was pretty tired and didn’t feel like fooling with it. Instead, we had a find your own dinner night and put on some DVR’d shows as Ann read the next book of the Outlander series and I napped while editing pictures and videos for this week’s blog. Here are pictures from Luke’s wrestling meet last week.

lp21.01.03 lwgi21.01 lwgi21.02 lwgi21.03 lwgi21.04 lwgi21.05 lwgi21.06 lwgi21.07 lwgi21.08 lwgi21.09 lwgi21.10 lwgi21.11 lwgi21.12 lwgi21.13 lwgi21.14 lwgi21.15 lwgi21.16 lwgi21.17 lwgi21.18 lwgi21.19 lwgi21.20 lwgi21.21 lwgi21.22

It was back to school on Tuesday for little Lukey. I was pleased to see he popped right out of bed and was nearly ready by the time Ann & I commuted over to Columbus. The Barneymobile was a little icy when I let him warmup that morning. It was another busy day for Ann & I. While she put out fires most of the day, Justin & I held orientation then went to lunch at Special Dogs, downtown on the square. It was even better than advertised. We were hoping to see Tony Stewart, as he frequents the restaurant. The afternoon was even faster than the morning and before I knew it, I was out walking in the cold. I got in two miles before calling it quits due to the chilly temps and strong wind. Luke had a good first day back at school then went on to wrestling practice. He said he was a couple pounds under beforehand, so he felt very favorable about his chances of actually eating tomorrow – LOL. Abby got up that morning as well. She went over to Gma’s house and had breakfast with her. They visited and Abs wound up staying for lunch and beyond. She came back to grab a quick nap before we got home. We had Jamie over that evening to play some euchre. Ann ordered Pizza King for dinner that really hit the spot! Luke got called into work at Hibbett’s that evening. I guess they are short of help right now due the virus. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis21.01.52 sis21.01.54 sis21.01.55 sis21.01.56 sis21.01.57 sis21.01.58 sis21.01.59 sis21.01.60 sis21.01.61 sis21.01.62 sis21.01.63 sis21.01.64 sis21.01.65 sis21.01.66 sis21.01.67 sis21.01.68 sis21.01.69 sis21.01.70 sis21.01.71 sis21.01.72 sis21.01.73 sis21.01.74 sis21.01.75 sis21.01.76 sis21.01.77 sis21.01.78 sis21.01.79 sis21.01.80

Wednesday was a long day. We were late getting out of the house and then had to come back home to get the cameras that I had forgotten. We needed them for Luke’s wrestling meet that night in Brookville. We had fast mornings at work then made plans with Abby to do lunch. So, she drove over and picked me up and we went to get Ann. When we got there, she told us that Luke had experienced an allergic reaction and was with the nurse and resource officer. We immediately drove back to Greensburg to be with him. He had a dose of Benadryl to combat the hives and by the time we got to school, it had started to clear up. When he got home, he was a little freaked-out but otherwise doing better. We kept an eye on him and he didn’t get any worse outside of a strange feeling in his throat. The girls napped while I worked from home the rest of the afternoon. That evening, we decided to keep him home from his wrestling meet. He wasn’t happy, but he understood why we made the decision in his best interest. To help cheer him up, we took him out to eat at El Reparo. We were thrilled to hear that Deana was released from the hospital that evening! Unfortunately, Grace had some issues and wound up in the hospital herself last night – geez! Abby & I had margaritas with our dinner and we enjoyed our dinner, laughing and enjoying spending time together. Although we’re sad that we missed out on watching Luke at his meet, we’re glad he’s feeling better. The Pirates ended up losing the meet by one point and he would’ve had a forfeit. It’s too bad things turned out the way they did today, but it is what it is…

It was back to work and school on Thursday. Luke did pretty good at school but did say his throat felt a little weird. He took a Benadryl and a Claritin and felt a little better. He said he noticed more when he was active. He felt fine the rest of the day and did good through practice. He did take medicine again after he showered, here at home. But then he wound up going in to work that night. Abby drove up to New Castle to stay the night with Gary and his folks. Ann and I had fast days at work. Justin & I took Dennis out to lunch for his breakfast at Five Guys. Ann couldn’t make it due to her crazy schedule but we did drop a burger off on our way back to work. After an afternoon of meetings, I got out a little late but managed to walk about two and a half miles in the cold with a biting wind that made my face go numb. Ann and I had a quiet night at home, watching a few DVR’d shows like the new Name that Tune as well as old favorites like Oak Island and Pawn Stars while eating Fireworks popcorn for dinner. Later, while Ann read and napped, I watched the Dr. Who Christmas special. Here are pictures of recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc21.01.11 hwc21.01.12 hwc21.01.13 hwc21.01.14 hwc21.01.15 hwc21.01.16 hwc21.01.17 hwc21.01.18 hwc21.01.19 hwc21.01.20 hwc21.01.21

I turned off my alarm Friday morning and got up a little later to run Ann to work. We went through Dunkin to get goodies before dropping her off downtown. I went over to Mom & Sandy’s house afterward to surprise her with her favorite coffee and donut. We visited for a while then I ran a couple errands before going back to the house to work from home. I got a lot done that day and evening while Ann napped. Luke came home after school and said he felt 100% better. He didn’t have wrestling practice so he worked again that evening until closing. Meanwhile, Ann ordered Koch’s for dinner that evening and had them deliver it. We watched the new SVU and tried to watch the new Clooney movie on Netflix called The Midnight Sky but it put me to sleep so I turned it off and went to bed just when Luke got home.

We enjoyed sleeping in a little on Saturday morning. I got up and paid bills and when Ann got up we went to St. Paul to get danishes and bread from Wildflour Bakery. We were hoping to get there before she ran out of homemade hot chocolate. Unfortunately, we got the notification about halfway there that it was gone. Still, we got a big batch of goodies and went through Dunkin to get drinks (and donut holes for Luke) before going over to Mom & Sandy’s house to visit. We stayed for about an hour or so before heading back home. Meanwhile, Luke got up early and went in to wrestling practice. That morning, we dug all the Christmas tubs from the garage and took down the tree and decorations. Ann made lunch with a loaf of the fresh ciabatta bread (just one of the goodies she picked up this morning) and fresh deli meat for some delicious panini-like sandwiches and a side of pasta salad that really hit the spot. Luke helped a little with the tree and then went in to work at Hibbett’s until late that night. Abby came home from Gary’s house to help as well and joined us for lunch. We got everything in the living room down and put back away in the garage. Ann still needs to take down the decorations in the family room, but that will have to wait for another day. While we worked, we watched the Purdue bball game from last night vs. Michigan State. The Boilers looked over-matched in the first half but battled back in the second half and knocked off the #23 Spartans with a Williams jumper with 4 seconds left to steal a win! Lola and Molly were napping on the couch while Ann & I were working on the tree when the alpha (Lola) woke up in absolute battle mode and started fighting and biting Molly. Now, if you know anything about our Scotty (Molls), she is the coolest, calmest dog around. The attack was so violent that even Molly had to fight back and wasn’t taking any crap from Lola. I swatted Lola’s ass and Ann put her in Delilah’s pin for a long time-out, away from everyone. After about an hour, we put her outside for another couple hours until she was able to get her shit together. After we got everything put away, we watched the Colts on the big screen. It was a close game all the way. A couple of risky calls by Coach Reich and a field goal that doinked off the upright left 7 points on the table throughout the game. Due to poor timeout management, the Colts had 0 TOs when they got the ball back, down 3, with two and a half minutes to play and pissed away their chance to win the game at the end, losing by 3. It was a tough loss in a game they should have probably won. Oh well… On a positive note, I did receive my second of four singles from the Metallica vinyl club. It has a pair of tracks from the MotherLOAD contest concert in 1996. I remember entering that contest myself! Abby had Megan & Heather over that night while Ann & I went out to the Sunken Boat Bar to see the Messers and other friends. We had a great time catching up with everyone We have tons of social media pictures to share this week.

smp21.01.127 smp21.01.128 smp21.01.129 smp21.01.130 smp21.01.131 smp21.01.132 smp21.01.133 smp21.01.134 smp21.01.135 smp21.01.136 smp21.01.137 smp21.01.138 smp21.01.139 smp21.01.140 smp21.01.141 smp21.01.142 smp21.01.143 smp21.01.144 smp21.01.145 smp21.01.146 smp21.01.147 smp21.01.148 smp21.01.149 smp21.01.150 smp21.01.151 smp21.01.152 smp21.01.153 smp21.01.154 smp21.01.155 smp21.01.156 smp21.01.157 smp21.01.158 smp21.01.159 smp21.01.160 smp21.01.161 smp21.01.162 smp21.01.163 smp21.01.164 smp21.01.165 smp21.01.166 smp21.01.167 smp21.01.168 smp21.01.169 smp21.01.170 smp21.01.171 smp21.01.172 smp21.01.173 smp21.01.174 smp21.01.175 smp21.01.176 smp21.01.177 smp21.01.178 smp21.01.179 smp21.01.180 smp21.01.181 smp21.01.182 smp21.01.183 smp21.01.184 smp21.01.185 smp21.01.186 smp21.01.187 smp21.01.188 smp21.01.189 smp21.01.190 smp21.01.191 smp21.01.192

We finally got to sleep in late on Sunday morning. It was refreshing but I was really looking forward to having a day off from everything and just watching some playoff football. We slowly got up and got around to our weekly household chores. Unfortunately, I received a call from my boss, who asked me to come in to work second shift that evening. So, I got done what I could around the house while catching up on the Mandalorian that morning until it was time to grudgingly get ready and head into work. I have to be honest that I had butterflies and a little acid reflux as I walked onto the unit that day. The one thing that put me at ease and ultimately allowed me to enjoy the day was the fact that I worked with Justin. He, too, had been called into work as well. We had a great shift. The girls we worked with were very good to us and didn’t try to take too much advantage of us! They let us go a little early, which was appreciated because I was pretty pooped when I drove home that night. I came home to a quiet house with everyone asleep. I was still a little wound up and sort of hungry as well. So, I grabbed a couple snacks and watched the NFL playoff games highlights on SportsCenter while I finished up the blog. Thankfully, I had most of it done so I was able to finish up pretty quickly and head on to bed to get a few hours’ sleep before we get up early and do it all over again tomorrow morning.. What a long week it was…

Next up is our weekly Waybac segment which currently features a pair of collections – one is an old set of photos from Ann’s Uncle Red and the other is a huge number of photos from Dee’s digital camera in 2004. We lead off with the Uncle Red pix: Ruth E Howe (10 yrs.) & Harold C Rohrs (7 mo.) in Dry Mouth, KY in May 1941; Maryann (Mom O) and Cecile during their vacation at Lake McCoy in July of about 1944; Uncle Red with the US Army Signal Corps HQ-45-1857 in the 1950s; Red & Lindy getting married in the ‘60s; Mae, Edna & Lindy in Madison in Oct 1964; Red & Lindy and friends travelling to VA in ’78; Cecile in May 1979; Lindy & friends at New Point school in May ’79; Dee, Ann & Keith in August 1979; Uncle Red in the 1980s; then on to Dee’s pix in 2004: April – Easter Day; May – Abby in the Dixon Dance Revue; June – Luke’s birthday; July – 4th of July downtown on the square and at Mom & Sandy’s house as well at our house for swimming and fireworks, Fair parade, Grace’s Bday, Indy Blues Fest and Gig’s birthday; August – meeting Minnie & Charlie; September – Abby’s birthday; November – Mom O’s birthday and Thanksgiving Day; December – Christmas time fun Christmas Day, Eve and at the Xmas Parade downtown.

Waybac.1941.05.reh10hcr7.drk Waybac.1944.07.cama.lm Waybac.1950s.rusasc1 Waybac.1950s.rusasc2 Waybac.1960s.ralw02 Waybac.1964.mel.mi Waybac.1978.ralttv01 Waybac.1979.05.cmaeh Waybac.1979.05.ralttv02 Waybac.1979.08.okis01 Waybac.1979.08.okis02 Waybac.1979.08.okis03 Waybac.1979.08.okis04 Waybac.1980s.ralp02 Waybac.2004.04.ed15 Waybac.2004.05.ddr23 Waybac.2004.06.lbd27 Waybac.2004.06.lbd28 Waybac.2004.07.foj101 Waybac.2004.07.foj102 Waybac.2004.07.foj103 Waybac.2004.07.foj104 Waybac.2004.07.foj105 Waybac.2004.07.foj106 Waybac.2004.07.foj107 Waybac.2004.07.foj108 Waybac.2004.07.foj109 Waybac.2004.07.foj110 Waybac.2004.07.fp52 Waybac.2004.07.fp53 Waybac.2004.07.gbd40 Waybac.2004.07.gbd41 Waybac.2004.07.gbd42 Waybac.2004.07.gbd43 Waybac.2004.07.ibf15 Waybac.2004.07.sbd15 Waybac.2004.08.mmc43 Waybac.2004.08.mmc44 Waybac.2004.08.mmc45 Waybac.2004.08.mmc46 Waybac.2004.09.abd27 Waybac.2004.09.abd28 Waybac.2004.11.mabd16 Waybac.2004.11.td22 Waybac.2004.12.cd21 Waybac.2004.12.ce28 Waybac.2004.12.cp14 lp21.01.03

Next up is our video segment which features two new home movies as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply