…Got Me Runnin’ for Shelter…Needing Quarantine…

We’ve enjoyed a warming trend this week, melting the entire foot of snow we had accumulated just one week ago. As the temps rose, so did the gas prices – continuing the push towards $3 a gallon this week. Poor Miss Molly really took a turn for the worse at the start of this week. She was so lethargic that she rarely got up to even eat or drink, much less go outside. Instead, she spent her days sleeping on what we surely thought might be her death bed. For the first time, she fought me every morning to get her meds down – even with meat and cheese treats. Ann and I even started thinking about needing to have “that talk,” sadly. Thankfully, as the week ended she was back to her normal self – so we’ll see… Matt had another busy week of teaching and coaching wrestling in Zionsville. Abby had a full week of classes in Franklin. But it was Luke who took the cake this week. Sure, he had school, lifted weights and still refused to tryout for baseball…but on top of that he had surgery at the start of the week and if that wasn’t enough, he was sent home from the high school to be tested for COVID at the end of it and is now quarantined. I fell short of my workout (two days) and exercise goals (only logged a little over eight miles) this week. For the second week in a row, Ann and I worked in Columbus just three days. As predicted, the dogs have turned our backyard into a muddy cow pasture thanks to the snow melt and the excessive amount of rain we’ve received…can you imagine how much snow we’d have now if it had stayed cold instead of warming up?! Because of Luke’s diagnosis, we had a quiet weekend, staying quarantined in the house and hanging out… Hello and welcome to the latest installation of the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work and school on a chilly Monday morning. It was clear and sunny that day and eventually warmed into the 40s! Ann and I had fast days at work, as we do with most Mondays. After getting things caught up that morning, I worked on my annual report in the afternoon then walked two and a half miles at the mall before we left Columbus. Luke had a good day at school, lifting with the football team afterwards. He was the first one home and did a good job of cleaning up the dogs’ messes for us. Molly was obviously not feeling well. She was apathetic and didn’t do much more than sleep. I even had to carry her outside to go pee. She is eating less and less and wouldn’t even take her medicine with hot dogs (one of her favorites)! I made my way out to the Sunken Boat Gym to work out with Bryan that evening. We worked on building our maxes on squat and bench presses. I was never good at the bench press and never even got 200 pounds up in high school. That evening, I matched my high school max, doing it four times easily. We sat in the sauna afterward (did not care for that very much) before having a quick drink at the Sunken Boat Bar and heading home. Ann had enjoyed a quiet night and made Fireworks popcorn and cheese for dinner – yum! She talked with Matt for a while that night. He has a big decision to make, but it’s a good problem to have… Luke wound up staying the night out at Oakley’s house that night. Earlier in the day, he went to a doctor appointment in Columbus with Ann for his cauliflower ear (he didn’t want to wear his headgear during wrestling practice, despite our warnings). Now he has to have plastic surgery done this week to fix the damage before it’s too late. We watched American Idol that night…well, Ann did…I watched part of it and then woke up and went to bed – LOL. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

lp21.02.04 sis21.02.193 sis21.02.194 sis21.02.195 sis21.02.196 sis21.02.197 sis21.02.198 sis21.02.199 sis21.02.200 sis21.02.201 sis21.02.202 sis21.02.203 sis21.02.204 sis21.02.205 sis21.02.206 sis21.02.207 sis21.02.208 sis21.02.209 sis21.02.210 sis21.02.211 sis21.02.212 sis21.02.213 sis21.02.214 sis21.02.215 sis21.02.216 sis21.02.217 sis21.02.218 sis21.02.219 sis21.02.220 sis21.02.221 sis21.02.222 sis21.02.223 sis21.02.224 sis21.02.225 sis21.02.226 sis21.02.227 sis21.02.228 sis21.02.229 sis21.02.230 sis21.02.231 sis21.02.232 sis21.02.233 sis21.02.234 sis21.02.235 sis21.02.236 sis21.02.237 sis21.02.238 sis21.02.239 sis21.02.240 sis21.02.241 sis21.02.242 sis21.02.243 sis21.02.244 sis21.02.245 sis21.02.246 sis21.02.247 sis21.02.248 sis21.02.249 sis21.02.250 sis21.02.251 sis21.02.252 sis21.02.253 sis21.02.254 sis21.02.255 sis21.02.256 sis21.02.257 sis21.02.259 sis21.02.260 sis21.02.261 sis21.02.262 sis21.02.263 sis21.02.264 sis21.02.265 sis21.02.266 sis21.02.267 sis21.02.268 sis21.02.269 sis21.02.270 sis21.02.271 sis21.02.272 sis21.02.273 sis21.02.274 sis21.02.275 sis21.02.276 sis21.02.277 sis21.02.278 sis21.02.279 sis21.02.280 sis21.02.281 sis21.02.282 sis21.02.283 sis21.02.284 sis21.02.285 sis21.02.286 sis21.02.287 sis21.02.288 sis21.02.289 sis21.02.290 sis21.02.291 sis21.02.292 sis21.02.294 sis21.02.295 sis21.02.296 sis21.02.297 sis21.02.298 sis21.02.299 sis21.02.300

It was noticeably warmer on Tuesday and just like that – the great snow melt of 2021 was officially on! Our yard became grass again that day as the snow ebbed – as did most of the region. The sun was full and very bright that day. I began my monthly EOC rounds at work about mid-morning. After the monthly generator test that morning, the boys and I went to eat at Snappy Tomato. I again had a big salad and didn’t eat the outside crust, so I felt much better that afternoon while continuing my monthly rounds. When I left work to go walk at the mall, I found a beautiful spring afternoon outdoors. I couldn’t help but walk outside that afternoon. I logged around three miles and kept warm in the sunshine. In fact, when I picked up Annie from work, I had the windows down in the Barneymobile. It was about 60 degrees or so. Luke again had a fast day of school then went to St. Mary’s to play basketball with the baseball team (maybe they’ll convince him to play this spring?!). Ann worked on insurance stuff while I returned to the Sunken Boat Gym to workout with Bryan and Alan that evening. It was an intense one that left my muscles shaking and aching afterward. I was pretty sore that night and made sure to take my Advil! 😊 We had a find-your-own night and watched some DVR’d shows. As usual when I put on Oak Island, I fell asleep – LOL. Luke came home that evening just long enough to shower and went back out to spend the night with Oak again.

Lola had us up before the alarm clock on Wednesday morning. We were hoping to sleep in a little while because Ann & I had taken the day off to be with Luke for his ear surgery. Luke and Oakley went to Leadership Academy, first thing that morning – out at the high school. When Luke got home that morning, we jumped in the van and headed up to Indy. Luke had a plastic surgeon repair his cauliflower ear. Ann went in with him while I stayed in the car. I wound up doing a little Hot Wheels hunting around the area and found a handful of new cars. His procedure went really well and we were out before noon! We went to lunch across the street at one of our old watering holes – Shallo’s! We enjoyed the chips and dip with a couple of Six-Foot Strawberry Blondes. I had the mahi-mahi tacos and a big bowl of steak and beer cheese soup – yum!! I couldn’t finish my meal…when’s the last time you heard that?! It was a gorgeous day – sunny and warm. I think it got all the way up to about 60°. Wow, what a difference a week makes! It was a lovely ride home. But by the time we got to the house, it became cloudy and actually started raining moments after we got inside. So, we decided it was nap time that afternoon… Luke went over to see Gma and Gigi at some point while we were napping. Later, he picked up Oakley and he spent the night with us. Meanwhile, Ann & I slept through the entire day and didn’t wake up till around 7! In fact, I missed my workout session completely. So, I sent an apology to my workout buddies and tried to wake up. Ann made us Fireworks popcorn and cheese for dinner and we began binge-watching a show on Prime called Tell Me Your Secrets until we fell asleep. The boys woke us up when they got back from Taco Bell that night and we went on to bed. Luke slept in the recliner because he wasn’t supposed to lay flat that night. We have several social media pictures to share this week.

smp21.02.202 smp21.02.203 smp21.02.204 smp21.02.205 smp21.02.206 smp21.02.207 smp21.02.208 smp21.02.209 smp21.02.210 smp21.02.211 smp21.02.212 smp21.02.213 smp21.02.214 smp21.02.215 smp21.02.216 smp21.02.217 smp21.02.218 smp21.02.219 smp21.02.220 smp21.02.221 smp21.02.222 smp21.02.223 smp21.02.224 smp21.02.225 smp21.02.226 smp21.02.227 smp21.02.228 smp21.02.229 smp21.02.230 smp21.02.231 smp21.02.232 smp21.02.233 smp21.02.234 smp21.02.235 smp21.02.236 smp21.02.237 smp21.02.238 smp21.02.239 smp21.02.240

The dogs actually did really well with the boys sleeping with them in the living room. The boys got up and went to school. Luke was feeling a little weird that morning, but we chalked it up to his surgery yesterday and the anesthesia. We sent him on to school with instructions that if he didn’t get feeling better, he should call Ann. Sure enough, a couple hours later he was feeling lousy so he went to the nurse and she sent him home under suspicion of COVID. He isn’t allowed to return until next week unless he gets a negative test. That afternoon, Ann worked on getting him tested and has an appointment at CRH tomorrow. They’ll test for Strep, Flu and COVID. Unfortunately, we have no idea if any of them are rapid tests, so he may be quarantining in his room for the weekend…. Meanwhile, I had a busy day of monthly EOC and PM rounds that helped me accumulate over 15K steps. Justin, Vic & I went to China Buff for lunch and I walked a 5K after we held a second shift fire drill that afternoon. Angie surprised Bryan for his 50th birthday by taking him to Mexico for a week. I did a few things around the house and we wound up not working out that night. Later, I ordered Wings & Rings take out and went to the Bewley B&B Bar for a night of poker. It was weird not having Bryan there as he is the common denominator for our friend group. Still, we have all developed a bond with each other and things went just as well without his presence that night. In fact, we had just as much fun teasing him over text messages that night so he was there in spirit if nothing else. Shawn made smoked meatballs that were amazing as always and Rick made his stuffed peppers casserole with lots of onions since Bryan wasn’t there to cry about it – LOL. 😊 We had a great time. Bob and Mark also made it so we had a good fivesome that made for some good poker. I was up and down but ended the night a dollar ahead, so I called it a winning night!

We slept in a bit on Friday morning before getting on with our day. I ran Ann to work after hitting Dunkin then picked up Luke and took him to CRH. They administered a strep, flu and COVID test in a drive-through setting. The good news is that he doesn’t have strep throat or the flu…however, he does have the COVID-19. While in Columbus, I did a little HW hunting and got Luke a new pair of headphones to help cheer him up, as he was a little down after receiving the news. This means he’ll need to quarantine for a couple weeks, which will keep him out of school. Coupled with Spring Break, I think he may just take the month of March off! I dropped him off at home and picked up Ann from work. We made our own lunches then Ann & Luke took naps while I worked from home in the family room. I finally stopped working around six when Ann & Luke got up. Ann ordered delivery from Koch’s on a cold, rainy night. After dinner, we turned on HBO Max and watched the new Tom & Jerry movie. It was just OK…it had its moments but was obviously geared towards a younger crowd. We took it easy that night, snuggling up with the dogs in blankets while watching some of our DVR’d faves. Here are pictures of recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc21.02.31 hwc21.02.32 hwc21.02.33 hwc21.02.34 hwc21.02.35 hwc21.02.36 hwc21.02.37 hwc21.02.38 hwc21.02.39 hwc21.02.40

Lola had us up early on Saturday morning. Doesn’t she know we get to sleep in on the darn weekend?! Ann made us biscuits and gravy for breakfast that really hit the spot. After such a big meal, we all had to have a big nap – and that’s just what we did. 😊 We were sad that we had to turn away Abby from coming over due to Luke quarantining, here at home. Since Ann & I are also self-quarantining with Luke, I made the most of it by checking in new Hot Wheels, updating my Disney movie collection and organized new additions to my music collection and backed everything up. That kept me busy all day. Ann made mozzarella chicken over cauliflower rice with cheesy broccoli for dinner that was out of this world. There wasn’t much leftover, that’s for sure! We watched some DVR’d shows and binge-watched a few more episodes of the Tell me Your Secrets show on Prime. It was a quiet day that sped by us before we knew it. I fell asleep on the couch and didn’t go to bed. In fact, I watched the last few episodes of the SVU marathon that went until the wee hours of the morning. It had been a lovely, sunny day that clouded up late in the afternoon and by sundown, it was raining.

It was still raining when Lola woke us up, early on Sunday morning. It rained so much that our already over-saturated yard was now swamp-land. There was so much standing water and we had to wipe down Delilah every time she went outside. We did our weekly household chores that morning and by the time lunch rolled around, the sun was out and actually began to dry-up stuff a little bit. Unfortunately, it didn’t last long and the clouds returned and eventually the rain did as well. It continued raining that night and was still coming down when we went to bed. We all napped for a couple hours again that day, which was nice. While Annie continued napping, I started watching a new show on Netflix called DARK that was kind of creepy (meaning I loved it!). That evening, Ann made Fireworks popcorn and cheese for dinner. We finished binge-watching Tell Me Your Secrets. I would recommend it – the story was told pretty cool. I can’t wait for season 2 now! Afterward, I turned on the long-awaited return of The Walking Dead to wind down the night, followed by Talking Dead – which made me sleepy and went on to bed. It was a relaxing end to another interesting week, here at the old Scheu abode…

Next up is our Waybac segment, still featuring two libraries from Ann’s side of the fam – some old ones from Red & Lindy in the 20th century as well as Dee’s first digital camera in 2004. We lead off in the 1930s – Ann’s Great Grandpa Lee & Great Grandma Mae Morrison with their grandkids (from Edna), Francis & Anna Mae; then Lindy’s mother in their vineyard in May 1938; 7-month-old Harold Clark Rohrs from Dry Ridge, KY in May 1941; Lindy & family in the Napoleon cemetery in 1970s and Red & Lindy’s backyard garden (and pooch) in 1981. Next, we move on to 2004: April – Easter Day; May – Dixon Dance Revue; June – Luke’s birthday; July – 4th of July parade, cookout and fireworks; Fair Parade and final night of the county fair; Grace’s birthday, Sandy’s birthday and Indy Blues Fest; August – new pups Minnie & Charlie; September – Abby’s birthday; October – Trick or Treating on Halloween; November – Maryann’s birthday and Thanksgiving Day; and December – Christmas Eve and Christmas parade.

Waybac.1930s.ggplmggmmm.wgkfam Waybac.1938.05.miv Waybac.1941.05.hcr.drk Waybac.1970s.lafinc Waybac.1981.ralbyg4 Waybac.2004.04.ed22 Waybac.2004.05.ddr30 Waybac.2004.06.lbd40 Waybac.2004.07.foj153 Waybac.2004.07.foj154 Waybac.2004.07.foj155 Waybac.2004.07.foj156 Waybac.2004.07.foj157 Waybac.2004.07.foj158 Waybac.2004.07.foj159 Waybac.2004.07.foj160 Waybac.2004.07.fp72 Waybac.2004.07.fp73 Waybac.2004.07.gbd62 Waybac.2004.07.gbd63 Waybac.2004.07.gbd64 Waybac.2004.07.sb19 Waybac.2004.07libf20 Waybac.2004.08.mmc65 Waybac.2004.08.mmc66 Waybac.2004.08.mmc67 Waybac.2004.08.mmc68 Waybac.2004.09.abd39 Waybac.2004.09.abd40 Waybac.2004.10.tot09 Waybac.2004.11.mabd20 Waybac.2004.11.td29 Waybac.2004.12.ce36 Waybac.2004.12.ce37 Waybac.2004.12.cp21 lp21.02.04

Next up is our video segment which includes one new home movie as well as a ton from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply