Reborn and Baptized in a Moment of Grace

Well, it’s been an interesting week since we last touched base. The weather has been more seasonal this week with temps in the 60s and 70s. Ann & continue to sneeze, cough and hack as Spring continues to pop-up all around us. Our landscape is filled with brilliant greens, purples, pinks and yellows. Most trees are in full bloom, tulips are popping up around town and even Ann’s flowers around the light pole are starting to sprout. After enjoying a week off for Spring Break, Matt returned to teaching in Zionsville while contemplating his future. He met with Cathy again this week to cross some t’s and dot some i’s. Abby had another good week at FC. She met with her Accounting professor again to discuss adding a third major. However, they couldn’t work out the schedule and still graduate in 4 years. However, they did find a path for her to earn a minor in it. Luke had his restrictions lifted after having his wisdom teeth removed last week, returning to sports – attending football practices and lifting weights. He spent time with his buddies and Ms. Sarah and took a big step in his spirituality. I did better with my diet, losing about seven pounds this week. My exercise routine was much better as well, but still fell a half mile short of my goal of fifteen. Molly struggled this week. I’m not sure when the last time we saw her eat. She’s still drinking but she no longer moves much. She pretty much lies about and sleeps most days. She doesn’t seem to be in an discomfort, but just lethargic… This week went so fast – in fact, 2021 is flying by. I can’t believe we’re already in the second quarter. Mom always said the years go faster as you age. This time next year, we’ll be looking at Abby graduating college and Luke graduating from high school. That is truly frightening…damn; we’re old… Hello and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

It was a lovely start to the week. That being said, it was a little hard to get out of bed on that Monday morning. It took so long to get Molly cleaned up that I had time for little else before Ms. Ann was out and ready to go. I had a fast morning, catching up with Justin and Vic while Ann scrambled to put out fires at her office. The guys drug me out to lunch at Chicago’s Pizza buffet. But I was a good boy. I ate two plates of salad and tore the toppings off all my pizzas and did not eat the crust! The afternoon went by even faster and time got away from me and I got out of work a little late. Still, I was able tot get in about a mile and a half of walking. I was hoping to get in some frisbee golf that evening because it was gorgeous out. However, when I mentioned it to Ann, she reminded me that Luke was being baptized that evening. Yes, you heard me right…Luke decided on his own that he wanted to be baptized. He has been talking with Coach Harris as well as Coach Spears. Turns out, both are very spiritual men. Coach Spears also happens to be the assistant pastor at a Christian church in Newpoint. So, Abby drove down and met up with us at the house and we drove over together in Black Betty. Mom & Sandy met us there as did Alex and Christy and Coach Harris. We were surprised when Principal Peters showed up as well – how cool is that? Everyone said very nice things about Luke and it was obvious that he is well-liked at the high school. It was a very quick ceremony, led by Coach Spears. Afterwards, we visited with the attendees and then invited them all to join us for a celebratory dinner at La Rosa’s. Unfortunately, most had other plans already but Mom, Sandy and the Dances joined us for a big dinner. We are proud of our little Lukey for his decision to take such a big step for such a young person and obviously wish him well on his spiritual journey….

lp21.04.03 sis21.04.126 sis21.04.127 sis21.04.128 sis21.04.129 sis21.04.130 sis21.04.131 sis21.04.132 sis21.04.133 sis21.04.134 sis21.04.135 sis21.04.136 sis21.04.137 sis21.04.138 sis21.04.139 sis21.04.140 sis21.04.141 sis21.04.142 sis21.04.143 sis21.04.144 sis21.04.145 sis21.04.146 sis21.04.147 sis21.04.148 sis21.04.149 sis21.04.150 sis21.04.151 sis21.04.152 sis21.04.153 sis21.04.154 sis21.04.155 sis21.04.156 sis21.04.157 sis21.04.158 sis21.04.159 sis21.04.160 sis21.04.161 sis21.04.162 sis21.04.163 sis21.04.164 sis21.04.165 sis21.04.166 sis21.04.167 sis21.04.168 sis21.04.169 sis21.04.170 sis21.04.171 sis21.04.172 sis21.04.173 sis21.04.174 sis21.04.175 sis21.04.176 sis21.04.177 sis21.04.178 sis21.04.179 sis21.04.180 sis21.04.181 sis21.04.182 sis21.04.183 sis21.04.184 sis21.04.185 sis21.04.186 sis21.04.187 sis21.04.188 sis21.04.189 sis21.04.190 sis21.04.191 sis21.04.192 sis21.04.193 sis21.04.194 sis21.04.195 sis21.04.196 sis21.04.197 sis21.04.198 sis21.04.199 sis21.04.200 sis21.04.201 sis21.04.202 sis21.04.203 sis21.04.204 sis21.04.205 sis21.04.206 sis21.04.207 sis21.04.208 sis21.04.209 sis21.04.210 sis21.04.211 sis21.04.212 sis21.04.213 sis21.04.214 sis21.04.215 sis21.04.216

Tuesday morning was nearly as hard to get out of bed. I managed to get up eventually after like five snoozes on the alarm clock. I have to start getting up early because it takes so long now to clean up Molly and her messes that I can’t get all of my morning routine completed before we leave for work. We tried to talk to Abby yesterday about making a date to put her doggy down, but that conversation fell apart nearly as fast as it began. Ann & I both had fast days again with more of the same as yesterday. We called it an early day so she could attend her next Prom / After-Prom meeting at the high school. We got there just as school was ending. As she went to her meeting, I hit the walking track that stretches from Rebeka Park to the BMV, winding its way through the back of the high school grounds. It was another lovely day that hit 70 degrees. It was cool to see all the kids out at their sporting events – from baseball and softball to track and field to cross country and tennis. Luke returned to workouts that night, hitting another new squat max! He said he picked up right where he left off in his quest to be a beast by the time his senior football season rolls around. I logged just under 4 miles of walking that night and had planned to get a round of frisbee golf in but I forgot by the time we got home and got everything cleaned up from the dogs. I think we’ve decided we will continue to crate train any future dogs moving forward and will opt for bigger dogs as well, if we choose to have any others. Mom & Sandy came over that night and we chatted for awhile before I loaded up my spreader and hit the front and back lawns with a heavy dose of Scott’s Weed & Feed. I really should’ve mowed it first and probably waited longer where there some dew on the lawn, but I was ready to get my comfy clothes on and relax at that point. Thankfully, there was no wind so we should be fine. Plus, it isn’t supposed to rain until the weekend. We kept the dogs off it that night and will let them get back on it in the morning. We relaxed and caught up on our DVR’d shows while Ann made Fireworks popcorn for dinner. Luke showered after his lifting workout and then went out in Betty White to see Sarah & Brayden at their home track meet that evening. We all got to bed at a decent time that night for once….

Luke was up early and out the door on Wednesday morning for Leadership Academy (football). Afterwards, he drove to Shelbyville where he got his sutures out from where he got his wisdom teeth pulled. He said he felt great and so after returning to school, he came back to the house to let the dogs out, clean up Molly and swap vehicles. He wants to drive the truck, but it doesn’t have any heat at the moment and it’s been too chilly to drive it in the morning, so he’s stuck driving the old grocery getter for now. He went to football practice that evening. When he got home from practice, he had time to eat and then we ran his car over to Jerry’s garage to get the power steering system looked at. Matt texted me and said that he and Abby had met up after work/school at Shallo’s for dinner. Abby said she did really good on her Econ exam that she had worked so hard on. Ann and I had good days at work. I finally completed my monthly report and can now focus on my quarterly report. After work, I walked a 5K around the airport property on another perfect afternoon. When we got home, Ann made dinner. She had put chicken breasts in the crockpot when we left that morning, so it was ready when we got home. We had stopped at the store to get a few things like riced cauliflower, jalapenos and corn. Before I could even get my comfy clothes on, she had dinner ready. We took it easy that night as it got cooler. There was even a chance for frost overnight. I chatted with Matt for a while, trying to get an app on his TV to work. I finally got it solved, but he had fallen asleep by then, so I finished watching Oak Island and went on to bed myself…

smp21.04.110 smp21.04.111 smp21.04.112 smp21.04.113 smp21.04.114 smp21.04.115 smp21.04.116 smp21.04.117 smp21.04.118 smp21.04.119 smp21.04.120 smp21.04.121 smp21.04.122 smp21.04.123 smp21.04.124 smp21.04.125 smp21.04.126 smp21.04.127 smp21.04.128 smp21.04.129 smp21.04.130 smp21.04.131 smp21.04.132 smp21.04.133 smp21.04.134 smp21.04.135 smp21.04.136 smp21.04.137 smp21.04.138 smp21.04.139 smp21.04.140 smp21.04.141 smp21.04.142 smp21.04.143 smp21.04.144 smp21.04.145 smp21.04.146 smp21.04.147 smp21.04.148 smp21.04.149 smp21.04.150

Thursday was another fast day for Ann & I at work. I put out a few fires in the morning, went to lunch with the boys at Chicago’s Pizza buffet again. But again, I had two big plates of salad and only a handful of pizza – sans crust again – so it was a low-carb meal. I walked a 5K after work on a cool afternoon – which was fine by me…that way I didn’t sweat as much! I heard from Jerry…well Jerry’s son – he sounds so much like his dad that is uncanny. They were able to squeeze it in a week early, which was very cool. They found the issue and had it ready that afternoon. When I told Luke, he was so excited! In fact, he drove straight there after school and lifting and swapped vehicles right away. He and Sarah went driving for a bit and then after he dropped her off, he picked me up and we got the Barneymobile back home. We got the house cleaned-up from the dogs and then washed Molly. It got chilly that night. Ann made Fireworks popcorn and cheese for dinner, which we enjoyed in front of the big screen – with blankets and dogs. Luke went out to the car wash to hang out with buddies and give the Hot Rod Lincoln some love (can you tell he missed not driving it for a week?). Annie fell asleep in her chair while I edited pictures for this week’s blog.

Lola had me up at 330 on Friday morning. I assume that she wanted to bark at a cat or other animal moving outdoors that she could smell. So she went out and when she wanted back in, guess what…she stayed out for another three hours (damn dog). While I was up, I cleaned up the mess she had made in the kitchen and then focused on getting Molly, her blankets and the wall and floor around her cleaned-up. By that time, I was wide awake so I just decided to stay up. I was able to do a load of laundry, the dishes, pay the bills and even had a little time to work on my Hot Wheels collection. When Ann got up, we ran thru Dunkin and stayed in town to work – Ann uptown and me from my desk in the family room. On my way home from Ann’s office, I stopped at Walmart to pick up a few supplies for the house. I was able to get a few things done before I picked up Annie and we went to lunch downtown at Carriage on the Square. She got the loaded mac and cheese (pulled pork and BBQ sauce on top) while I had the spicy Bro Pony. It was so good that we can’t wait to go back again! We came home so Ann could nap and I went back to work. I had a to-do list that I accomplished and then some! I am starting to think I could work from home all the time and then just be on-call and go in maybe three for four days a month. 😊 After wrapping up, I loaded up Betty White with yard tools and went to Mom & Sandy’s house to mow and trim. I visited with them for a while before coming home to mow and trim as well. By the time I finished, I was tired and sore. I got a shower, took some ibuprofen and relaxed. Ann made some concoction from the leftovers that were really good. Luke and I couldn’t get enough of it. I don’t know how she does that – cook something from nothing. I’m always amazed at how good she can make leftovers taste. 😊 We watched a couple shows and fell asleep on the couch.

hwc21.04.21 hwc21.04.22 hwc21.04.23 hwc21.04.24 hwc21.04.25 hwc21.04.26 hwc21.04.27 hwc21.04.28 hwc21.04.29 hwc21.04.30 hwc21.04.31 hwc21.04.32

The dogs allowed us to sleep in a little on Saturday morning. Luke had come home late from Sarah’s house last night after we went to bed and didn’t put the gait up. So, with Lola prancing and clip-clopping in the hall, she eventually woke me up and I wasn’t able to fall back asleep. It was the same old story – clean up the mess from Lola and then clean up Molly and the surrounding area. We slowly got around to cleaning up the house and ourselves. And about mid-morning, we put leashes on Lola and Delilah and took them for a ride in Black Betty. We went through Dunkin to fuel us for our trip to Westport, where the dogs went to the dog groomer, Macy. We stopped by the Dollar Genny on our way out of town then came home where Annie napped and I checked fluids in the vehicles in a light sprinkle. It continued to rain for a while – nothing too bad, but enough to keep me off the frisbee golf course, unfortunately. It wasn’t too long before Macy was calling, saying the dogs were ready. So, we went and picked them up then ran a couple errands. The dogs loved going through the CVS drive thru when they received dog biscuits! The girls were wiped-out when they got home and both sacked-out within just a few minutes of getting home. 😊 The rain eventually subsided and the sun came that evening. Unfortunately, by that time it was only the 40s and I had lost interest in going out in the cold. We watched a couple shows from the DVR white Ann read and I wrote out this week’s html code for the blog pictures. Ann made cheesy Fireworks popcorn for dinner and we watched a couple movies on the big screen. I’ve texted to Matt a few times this week. He is still considering a career change. He supposedly told the school that he was looking and that they were taken aback. He said he is meeting with his boss to see if he could stay on at the wrestling coach. He was supposed to meet with Cathy to talk more about being a loan officer. He is such a gifted teacher. I hate it for the kids that will miss out on his skills. He said he would consider a return to teaching down the line sometime, if this opportunity pans out. I feel bad for his co-workers as well because they all love him. Luke had a busy day, working for Coach Harris in the morning and then working at Hibbett’s that afternoon. When he got off that night, he went out to Oakley’s house to hang out with his buddies for a while. Abby went to the Franklin football game that afternoon. The entire Heartland Conference cancelled their football season, you may recall, due to COVID then decided to move it to the spring. Abby said it’s weird to go to football game in the afternoon and then to a baseball game that evening – LOL.

Delilah was up with the sunrise on Sunday morning…which meant that I was up with the sunrise. After cleaning up the dog messes, I did a few things around the house like dishes and laundry. I was able to get most of the blog done as well before we all went over to Mom & Sandy’s house. Matt came home for a while and we enjoyed catching up with him for a while. Luke had to go to work at Hibbett’s about noon. Matt ended up taking Ms. Ann as I had a few chores to finish up and then had to find the tools I need to help Mom assemble and hang a new quilt rack that she bought this week. Abby & Gary were already at Mom & Sandy’s house when I got there. We sang a rousing version of the Birthday Song and enjoyed some cake & ice cream. We talked and laughed for a while then we got Mom’s new shelf hung. Matt & Ann went to meet Angie for some business stuff then came back to the house while Abby & Gigi played Jamie & I in a quick game of birthday euchre. It was neck and neck until Abby took over – she euchred us and then went out on a loaner! They won 10-5 and now the 2021 series stands at 2-1 in favor of the girls. We said our goodbyes and came on home where we visited with the kids. Luke got off work a little early and came over to Jamie’s birthday celebration for a bit. He spent most of it trying to stop another nosebleed, unfortunately. He had one yesterday as well. Not sure what’s up with that? We visited with the kids for a couple hours before Matt had to head back up Carmel. Abby & I had a cocktail (Diet Dr Pepper with some 151 rum) and a couple shots (Liquid Cocaine and later some Skrewball) and loved on Molly and her sisters. That evening she & Garrett returned to the FC campus for their final month of their junior years. Luke went out with Brayden for dinner at El Reparo then picked up dinner for Ann & I from A&W and brought it to us (for a menial delivery fee of course – LOL). That night, Ann read and I logged in some new Hot Wheels while we watched American Idol and voted live with America. I got one of my faves through (the rocker, Casey) and Ann got both of her faves through to the top 10. Afterward, Annie went on to bed while I watched Fear the Walking Dead and finished up this week’s blog entry. It has been a long but memorable week, for sure. The only thing I didn’t get to do this week was get out to the park. I hope it’s warm enough next week for me to get back out on that frisbee golf course…

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature Dee’s digital camera pictures from 2004. We lead off in April for Easter pix downtown with the Easter Bunny, downtown on the square; in June we have Luke’s first birthday party at our house; in July we see fun on the 4th on Main St and in Ryle along with the fair parade, Grace’s birthday, the Indy Blues Fest with Joe Bonamassa and Sandy’s birthday; in August we meet Minnie Mabel and Charlie; we see Trick-or-Treating at Mom & Sandy’s house in October and then Christmas at the Nazarene church in December.

Waybac.2004.04.ed25 Waybac.2004.04.ed26 Waybac.2004.04.ed27 Waybac.2004.06.lbd51 Waybac.2004.06.lbd52 Waybac.2004.07.foj205 Waybac.2004.07.foj206 Waybac.2004.07.foj207 Waybac.2004.07.foj208 Waybac.2004.07.foj209 Waybac.2004.07.foj210 Waybac.2004.07.foj211 Waybac.2004.07.fp95 Waybac.2004.07.fp96 Waybac.2004.07.fp97 Waybac.2004.07.gbd84 Waybac.2004.07.gbd85 Waybac.2004.07.ibf28 Waybac.2004.07.ibf29 Waybac.2004.07.ibf30 Waybac.2004.07.sbd22 Waybac.2004.07.sbd23 Waybac.2004.08.mmc95 Waybac.2004.08.mmc96 Waybac.2004.08.mmc97 Waybac.2004.08.mmc98 Waybac.2004.10.tot16 Waybac.2004.12.cp26 Waybac.2004.12.cp27 lp21.04.03

We wrap up with our video segment, which features one new home movie from this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply