Headin’ out to (the ‘Burg) for the (Memorial) Day Weekend Show…

What a great week we’ve had, here at the old Scheu abode. We had a fast work week, saw all our babies and got the family got together for a long, holiday weekend. These are the weekends – the moments – we work so hard for months to achieve. Truly, it has been near-perfect – from the weather to everyone’s health, from the cars all getting fixed to my BG being the lowest it has been all 2021. Matt finished up teaching and began his summer vacation. His plans are to have knee surgery at the end of next week and then begin studying for and taking some sort of certification training for his job with Cathy. Abby began working at WTRE in the sales department. She is a legacy in the position as Ms. Ann worked there for a while when we were dating back in the 90s. She spent a couple days with friends this week as well at Gary. She was a big help in getting the house ready for family this weekend. Luke continued his mission to “get jacked” for his senior football season. He finished up his junior year and is now an official high school senior. He worked a little but mostly spent the week running around with friends and enjoying the last summer of his childhood. He also took part in a cool photo shoot with a couple dozen other seniors. Ann & I did good this week with smooth weeks at work and cut loose a little this weekend. Although we didn’t get to see our friends, we did enjoy the hell out of seeing all the family. Who knows how many more of these special get-togethers we will have with us all…you just never know! So, we enjoyed it took time to stop and smell the flowers, thankfully to have everyone together this year. I exceeded my workout goals, logging over 18 miles and my new medicine is working great, lowering my blood sugar closer and closer to normal with the lowest readings I’ve had since before my birthday last year. I managed to lose another 4 pounds to bring my total to 17 since starting this new med. I’m sure I gained it all back this weekend though – it sure was a good one! Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work and school for us all…except Abby. She enjoyed sleeping in on her second day of summer vacation. It was also her last (since she starts work with Gigi tomorrow!). Abs spent her day cleaning her room and doing a ton of laundry. She also did some shopping for us and picked up a ton of food for dinner that night. Luke had a good day at school then went to football workouts that afternoon. Later, he went swimming and got back after dark. Being as driven and dedicated as he has become – he came home long enough to change and went out to the YMCA to lift again. Meanwhile, Ann and I had good days at work. I was busy most of the day and got caught up on my paperwork and some of our regulatory stuff. It was a hot one that day with temps getting all the way up to the mid-eighties. I got in a 5K after work and was pretty sweaty afterwards. That night, Ann and Abby made some amazing fish tacos for dinner. OMG – they were so good and we were all stuffed afterward. We flipped on the air in the living room for a couple minutes when we got home that night – just to help chill the air a bit. We watched a couple shows that evening – including a couple season finales – and called it a night. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

lp21.05.05 sis21.05.390 sis21.05.391 sis21.05.392 sis21.05.393 sis21.05.394 sis21.05.395 sis21.05.396 sis21.05.397 sis21.05.398 sis21.05.399 sis21.05.400 sis21.05.401 sis21.05.402 sis21.05.403 sis21.05.404 sis21.05.405 sis21.05.406 sis21.05.407 sis21.05.408 sis21.05.409 sis21.05.410 sis21.05.411 sis21.05.412 sis21.05.413 sis21.05.414 sis21.05.415 sis21.05.416 sis21.05.417 sis21.05.418 sis21.05.419 sis21.05.420 sis21.05.421 sis21.05.422 sis21.05.423 sis21.05.424 sis21.05.425 sis21.05.426 sis21.05.427 sis21.05.428 sis21.05.429 sis21.05.430 sis21.05.431 sis21.05.432 sis21.05.433 sis21.05.434 sis21.05.435 sis21.05.436 sis21.05.437 sis21.05.438 sis21.05.439 sis21.05.440 sis21.05.441 sis21.05.442 sis21.05.443 sis21.05.444 sis21.05.445 sis21.05.446 sis21.05.447 sis21.05.448 sis21.05.449 sis21.05.450 sis21.05.451 sis21.05.452 sis21.05.453 sis21.05.454 sis21.05.455 sis21.05.456 sis21.05.457 sis21.05.458 sis21.05.459 sis21.05.460 sis21.05.461 sis21.05.462 sis21.05.463 sis21.05.464 sis21.05.465 sis21.05.466 sis21.05.467 sis21.05.468

Tuesday was pretty much a repeat of Monday on many levels. Luke had school, football workouts but then went over to Harris’ to work at the rental property they are renovating. He came back and then went to the Y to do his daily weightlifting. When he got home, he was wiped-out and got cleaned up and went to bed. Meanwhile, Abby went to work at WTRE, working in the sales department like her mom did 25 years earlier. She had a good first day, selling almost $300 worth of ads! Ann and I had fast days at work. I began my monthly EOC rounds after we got back from lunch at Chicago’s pizza buffet. I walked three miles out in the 90-degree heat that afternoon. I’ll be honest, with the breeze it was not too bad. Granted, I worked up a good sweat, but it truly wasn’t that bad. When we got back to town, I dropped off Annie at home and picked up Abs. We ran to CVS then went to the park to play a quick round of frisbee golf. I shot an even par while Bu had a 5-over. We came home and Abs and Delilah went out back and did some yoga for a couple hours while Ann & I watched a few more DVR’d shows – all of which were season finales. Ann had Fireworks popcorn for dinner while Abs and I celebrated taco / tequila Tuesday with leftover fish tacos and a Cadillac Margarita cocktail for a nightcap. ‘Gail is really getting the hang of this mixology thing…so I guess there were a few good things that came out of COVID last year! 😊

Luke was up early on Wednesday to go lift with a group of guys. He woke up Delilah and she started barking. I was hoping she would stop but she didn’t and Ann wound up getting up with her. We got Abby up before we left for work, so she could do some work from home for Sandy. Later, she got up and went in to WTRE and was again successful in her sales – to the point where she earned her first bonus! Way to go, Bu! After working, she went out to Megan’s house for a while before meeting us back at the house that evening. After Luke worked out, he went to school and then on to work at Hibbett’s. Ann had a long day while my day went really fast. We went to Culver’s for some comfort food after receiving some tough news. I finished up the EOC rounds and the guys helped me run a 2nd shift fire drill before we left that day. I walked about three miles outdoors after it finished raining. It was a little cooler but the humidity was definitely up. On the way home, we got a call from Matt. He was having some serious car issues. Specifically, transmission issues. It has been an ongoing issue with that car. He had it repaired once before, right after he bought it. That was covered under a recall. He bought the extended warranty, so hopefully the issue falls under that protection. He was able to limp it home. The good news is that he and Taylor are staying at home right now and his new job will be from home, so it will at least give them a chance to save up if they do need to pay for a repair. That poor kid just can’t seem to catch a break… When we came home, I dropped off Ann again and picked up Abby. We got gas in Black Betty and then went out to the park to play a quick round of frisbee golf. The ballparks were jam-packed again that evening. On Abby’s second throw, she threw it in the rough. We spent 10 minutes looking for it before we found it. Unfortunately, that was not the last time we chased our discs into the heavily overgrown brush. She and I had fun, enjoying the beautiful weather and talking about stuff. Abs did some yoga with Delilah on the back porch. She cut up a bunch of veggies to go with her Shallo’s ranch dip and we had a find-your-own dinner night. We took it easy that evening, watching a few DVR’d shows (all season finales) until bedtime. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp21.05.313 smp21.05.314 smp21.05.315 smp21.05.316 smp21.05.317 smp21.05.318 smp21.05.319 smp21.05.320 smp21.05.321 smp21.05.322 smp21.05.323 smp21.05.324 smp21.05.325 smp21.05.326 smp21.05.327 smp21.05.328 smp21.05.329 smp21.05.330 smp21.05.331 smp21.05.332 smp21.05.333 smp21.05.334 smp21.05.335 smp21.05.336 smp21.05.337 smp21.05.338 smp21.05.339 smp21.05.340 smp21.05.341 smp21.05.342 smp21.05.343 smp21.05.344 smp21.05.345 smp21.05.346 smp21.05.347 smp21.05.348 smp21.05.349 smp21.05.350 smp21.05.351 smp21.05.352 smp21.05.353 smp21.05.354 smp21.05.355 smp21.05.356 smp21.05.357 smp21.05.358 smp21.05.359 smp21.05.360 smp21.05.361 smp21.05.362 smp21.05.363 smp21.05.364

Thursday was noticeably cooler. We were thrilled when Black Betty finally cleared her throat after another dose of Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner and a fresh tank of premium petrol. She ran like a dream all day, so that’s one less thing on our mind! I took in the Husqy mower for Vic to service during his break. He sharpened the blade and got the walk-behind wheel speed adjusted for me. As a thank you, I treated him and Michelle to lunch at Arni’s. The two Justins joined us as well and we had a nice lunch, talking about the future of our management team and the changes that are coming next month. I had a great day, achieving all the goals I had set for the month and setting myself up to work from home tomorrow. I walked three miles around the airport property after work on a cooler but still humid day. I think I prefer to have the heat over the humidity. That humidity does not play well with my fat, hairy body. I picked up Annie and we headed home. She said her day went really fast because they were so busy. I like days like that as well. I tried to get her to go out to lunch with me, but like always she had a better option. I’m starting to get a complex! Luke went to his last day of school for his junior year. It’s official – we have a high school senior now…damn, I’m old… He went to Advanced PE, where he got 255 on bench! I think that now makes him an official member of the 1000-Pound Club!! He’s worked so hard for it; I just hope he keeps going over the summer and stays healthy. He came over to Columbus that afternoon, where he sold his weight set to Justin for Gabe to use as he begins his journey with football. We just need to get rid of the bench now. It’s a nice one, but it’s too small for he and I. If anyone knows of someone interested in the bench, it is a combo flat/inclined bench. I’m sure Luke would let it go for next to nothing to someone who can get some use out of it. Otherwise, he will probably just scrap it. He ran around for awhile then worked out at the Y. That evening, he came home long enough to get cleaned-up and then spent the night with Ethan. Abs had a solid day, working at WTRE and make a handful of sales, earning her a second bonus! When we got home, Abs and I went out to the park and played a round of frisbee golf. She found a golf disc the last time out and used it a couple times and is starting to get pretty good. She gave me a run for my money that night. I barely edged her by one single point – 29-30! Ann wanted ice cream, so we ran out to Dairy Point after golfing and wound-up ordering dinner and ice cream out there and brought it home. It was really good and there was so much food that none of us ate all our meal. I look forward to those leftovers this weekend! 😊 We watched the Friends Reunion Show (subtitled, The One Where They Get Back Together”). It was really good. I know I laughed and cried a few times. I forgot how much I liked that show. I really haven’t watched many reruns of it. I should probably do that this summer and see how much I’ve forgotten in 20 years…

We slept in a bit on Friday morning before getting up to do our morning routine. We went through Dunkin drive-thru for breakfast. I dropped off Ann at the downtown office and came home to work from my desk in the family room. Abs got up and went to work at WTRE while I cranked up the tunes with the dogs and waited for the rain to pass. It had rained overnight and was forecast to rain all day, putting a damper on my plans to mow that afternoon. Abs came how from work at about noon, after making another sale. Shortly thereafter, Ann called saying she was ready and so was Macy. So, we loaded Lola & Delilah into Black Betty, picked up Annie and headed down to Westport to get the dogs groomed. On our way home, we stopped there in town and ate at Pizzalicious. We came back to the house after lunch and Ann took a nap while Abby got ready to leave for the night and I continued working from home. I wrapped up my work in the early afternoon and since it was still raining, I went ahead and paid the bills then edited pictures and videos for this week’s blog entry. Abby drove up to spend the night with Garrett and his family in New Castle, leaving Ann & I with a truly empty nest. Meanwhile, Luke didn’t even come home that morning. Instead, he went up to Greenwood with his buddies to go blow their money. When he finally got back that afternoon, Ann made him work with Abby on the choreography before she headed out. He and some of his buddies will be re-enacting parts of The Greatest Showman for a photo shoot tomorrow. He is a representative of one of the local photographers (the same gal who did Abby’s senior pix) that is putting out ads for the parents with incoming seniors…like us! Luke went running around with his buddies again that evening but had to come home early enough to watch the movie (Greatest Showman) so he sort of had an idea of what the heck he is supposed to be doing tomorrow… Ann & I ran back to Westport to pick up the dogs after the groomer finished with them. They look so good! I just know that after I mow tomorrow, Lola will want to go roll around in the yard and will end up green by the end of the day! We stopped at DQ on the way back for a couple of the new Blizzards. Later, Abby unexpectedly called when she was just a mile or so from Gary’s house and said she had a flat tire. She has the worst luck with tires, doesn’t she? Luckily, Garrett and his dad came down the road and got Tonya to their house. Even better, his dad (a mechanic) was able to repair the tire! That evening, I ran to the store to get oil and Asiago cheese for Ann to make us cheesy Fireworks popcorn for dinner. Luke & Oak drove back from Lake Santee and picked up Barney from Jerry for me. We had to get it in due to a flat tire and he was kind enough to squeeze us in at the last minute. They watched the first half of the movie and then for whatever reason they went back out to Lake Santee and then Luke stayed the night at Oakley’s house. As the rain moved out, the temps really started to dip and ended up in the 40s. We turned off the air and opened up the house. It felt amazing… Here are pictures of recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc21.05.57 hwc21.05.58 hwc21.05.59 hwc21.05.60 hwc21.05.61 hwc21.05.62 hwc21.05.63 hwc21.05.64 hwc21.05.65 hwc21.05.66 hwc21.05.67

The dogs had me up early on Saturday morning. It was downright chilly in the house that morning. The yard was way too wet to mow, so I had to just wait it out. I watched a few DVR’d shows, including the latest episodes of Debris, Manifest and a new show called Mike Tyson: The Knockout. I’ve always been fascinated with his story and this show did not disappoint. Luke and Abby got back home at about the same time. After they got cleaned-up, Abby helped Luke with his choreography again. They ran through it for about a half hour or so. Around noon, they all headed out to meet with Farren for the big photo Senior Rep shoot. Ann and Abby were helping her with hair and makeup while Luke went to another location. Apparently, there were two locations where he, Oakley and the others met up in full garb. I went out and checked the yard but it was still soaked. I came back in and cleaned up the house a little and had a clean-out-the-fridge lunch while watching the Carb Day / Final Practice from the speedway that I taped yesterday. I took a nap during the Charlotte truck race and when I woke up the wind had finally blown the grass dry enough for me to get out and start working in the yard. So, I loaded up Betty White and headed over to Mom & Sandy’s house to mow and trim. I finished up there and ran to the store to get supplies for this weekend. I was trying to hurry so that I could get back to meet up for dinner with Keith & Rosie. In my haste, I completely forgot to pickup Ann’s supplies for tomorrow’s big lunch! By the time I realized it, I was already back home and unloading. So, I went ahead and mowed / trimmed at home then ran back to Mom & Sandy’s house for a quick bite to eat with the fam. It was good to finally see Keith, Rosie & Megan – the first time since COVID. We caught up for a while then I left and went back to the store to get Ann’s stuff before heading home. Meanwhile, Abby left the photo shoot in the middle of the afternoon and came home to get a few things, make a side dish and headed up to Franklin to spend the night with her friends. Luke & Ann were at the photo shoot until the early evening. Ann said they never even got to Shelbyville for the second shoot because the Greensburg one took so long. Ann was home by the time I got back and filled me in on how her day went. It sounded like it was pretty cool. She said Luke and the kids did great and she thinks the photos will be really cool! Luke went to the Y and worked out by himself that night after he dropped Annie off at home. I took some ibuprofen and we tried to stay awake as we watched a couple SVU episodes on Ion and the first couple episodes of season 2 of Mr. In-between. It was so chilly that day, we had to close up the house before we went to bed…

Lola was up at the butt-crack of dawn on Race Day. It was fine by me, because I love to watch the TV coverage of the all the fans coming into the track and all the behind-the-scenes stuff. Although the attendance is limited this year, it is estimated to be the largest gathering in the nation since COVID – something like 135K. It started out cold – the coldest since before I was born (42 tied with 1961! One of the cool facts I saw was that it was 20 degrees cooler than the past three years races. So much for global warming? I was thrilled when Ann said that Roger Penske announced that they lifted the blackout for the 500! I did a few things around the house and then waited for Ann to get up before I started running the vacuum back in the family room and started getting everything set up for Matthew to stay with us a couple days. Meanwhile, Ann cooked all morning, making green bean casserole, brussels sprouts casserole and dinner rolls. Abby came home and got cleaned up and Luke eventually woke up and they both cleaned their bedrooms. Then, around noon, we loaded up the car and headed over to Gma & Gigi’s house for the big ThanxChrEaster lunch! Deanna and Mom went all-out again this year with turkey, cold cuts and cheese slices along with mashed potatoes, noodles, the good mac & cheese, corn casserole, deviled eggs, dressing, sweet potatoes, pasta salad, Jamie’s baked beans, and then chocolate lava cake, strawberry pie, and a couple Pepperidge Farms cakes that were safe for Lukey – it was quite the spread! It was Mom & Sandy; Keith, Rosie & Megan; Ann & I, Matt & Taylor, Abby & Gary and Luke; Dee, Jamie & Gracie and Keith’s friend, Ronnie. The guys watched the Indy 500 on Sandy’s big screen while the girls talked in the living room. It was a great day of eating and racing. It was perfect weather – in the 70s. When the race ended, the kids came home with Ann & I and we split up from there. Gary & Gale went out to Megan’s house, Ann took a nap, Luke worked out at the Y and Matt & Taylor went with me to Batesville to play a round of frisbee golf. We stopped by our favorite liquor store to pick up some spirits for the evening. We settled on a handle of lemon Absolute and a fifth of lime Patron Citronage. They both mixed really well with 7-Up and black cherry sparkling Ice splash – mmm. We all had several glasses along with numerous other drinks – mostly made by our favorite little bartender, Abby. At Liberty Park, we played one round of golf. I threw pretty well and ended with a 1-under 26, nearly getting a hole-in-one on 7. It hit the chains, bottom of the inside of the basket…only to bounce out. But it was the closest I’ve had! 😊 Matt threw a respectable 4-over 31. It was Taylor’s first time out. She got better as she went but ended with a 48. There was an incident with Matt, but we managed to stay out of trouble. When we got home, we set up the backyard, getting out the boards and prepping the fire pit. Matt & I took on all comers and went undefeated that evening. Keith & Rosie came over along with Dee, Jamie & Grace. We got a big kick out of the “drive-through” service for our many cocktails. Abby would go to the kitchen and we would walk up to the window and she would make our drinks for us right there. 😊 Very cool, Bu! As the sun went down, we made a fire to keep everyone warm for several hours of porch time. Big thanks to Lukey, who came through in the clutch with some much-needed lemons and limes! With the filter replaced in the fridge and an extra bag, we never ran out of ice! We were up MUCH too late. Matt & Taylor slept out in the family room on the spare bed. They stayed up late with me, helping to clean-up, grabbing a midnight snack (Jamie & Dee brought over some leftovers from lunch which was very cool!) and we watched an episode of Rick & Morty. I wound up staying up and watching the marathon on Cartoon Network until 4 and then fell asleep afterwards, waking up and some horrible hour, just as the sun was coming up…so I thought I should probably go on to bed… What a way to put a wrap on a great week. I’m so glad we took off Tuesday as well to make it a 4-day weekend…

Next up is our Waybac section. Sadly, this is these are the final pix from Deanna’s digital camera from back in 2004. Next week we will move on to her 2005 collection which should be fun! We lead off this week in May – Abby’s first Dixon Dance Revue; June – Luke’s 1st birthday; July – 4th of July (parade, swimming, cookout and fireworks), Fair Parade and last day of the county fair, Grace’s 4th birthday, Indy Blues Fest (featuring Joe Bonamassa) and Sandy’s birthday; August – Minnie Mabel & Charlie; September – Abby’s 5th birthday; October – Matt’s broken arm at CRH and Trick or Treating with Gma & Gigi; November – Maryann’s birthday and Thanksgiving Day; and December – Christmastime fun.

Waybac.2004.05.ddr48 Waybac.2004.06.lbd58 Waybac.2004.07.foj248 Waybac.2004.07.foj249 Waybac.2004.07.foj250 Waybac.2004.07.foj251 Waybac.2004.07.fp110 Waybac.2004.07.fp111 Waybac.2004.07.gbd99 Waybac.2004.07.ibf33 Waybac.2004.07.ibf34 Waybac.2004.07.ibf35 Waybac.2004.07.sbd26 Waybac.2004.08.mmc111 Waybac.2004.08.mmc112 Waybac.2004.09.abd59 Waybac.2004.10.mba06 Waybac.2004.10.tot18 Waybac.2004.11.mabd27 Waybac.2004.11.mabd28 Waybac.2004.11.td42 Waybac.2004.12.cp33 Waybac.2004.12.cp34 lp21.05.05

Next up is our video segment which features one short home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply