Break the Ice, I can’t Take Anymore

Well we were disappointed that we had to cancel Thanxmas due to Keith, Rosie & Megan all having the barfing bug. On Sunday night we were horrified to hear that Keith got sick while driving home and wrecked! He ended up blacking out while driving. Thankfully Rosie was able to steer the car between two signs (scraping the side) before Keith came back to his senses and got the car stopped. How scary! We are thankful no one was hurt, but there was significant damage done to their car…although it was all cosmetic. Gigi has been working very hard on her new radio station. They recently expanded to FM at 104.3! It is a mirror of the original WTRE on the AM dial. She told me she would be creating yet another station in the near future and that the format is yet to be decided. I keep pushing her for an AOR (album oriented rock) that plays classic rock and harder new rock, so you never know. My guess is it will be a mixture of newer music. Her other big news was that she is also working on a new website. It would contain, among other things, the ability to create a musical playlist of any song from virtually any artist and allow you to play it from her station. How cool is that??? Matt & I were disappointed when the #8 Boilers lost to the Richmond Spiders in the championship game at the Chicago Invitational Challenge. It was their first loss of the year and dropped their record of 7-1. The Colts looked like the old Dolts on Sunday Night Football – the Cowboys might actually stand a chance this next Sunday against them in Indy!!! On Monday it started to rain. Then it rained and just for fun it rained a little more. Abby went back to jazz class. Lola got so muddy! She was only outside for 10 minutes…how can one little Westie get so dirty? I tried to wash her off in the sink for about 5 minutes and couldn’t even get 1 paw clean. So Luke & Abby ended up giving her a bath. Dad would sure be proud to know that I have nursed our ’99 Grand Caravan to 190,000 miles!! Luke is such an inquisitive child; I know I’ve said that before but he may have topped himself that evening as he was kissing Ann good night, he looked at her lamp and asked, “If I smash your lamp. can I can see the inside?” Ann told him that he could not smash her lamp to see the wires inside and he replied in his little innocent voice in a matter-of-fact tone, “I just want to see how it works, Mommy.”

lbbp10.2 lbbp10.3 lbbp10.1a mll10.1 mll10.2 gstn10.1 gstn10.2 gstn10.3 gstn10.4

On Tuesday, Dee changed her schedule around and had to go in earlier, causing Grace to not come over before school. We told her she can come over at any time in the morning, if needed and Grandma ended up changing her schedule around and now brings Gracie over in the mornings. Luke had basketball practice that night. I picked up all the kids from Mom & Sandy’s house and we all went out. Matt & Bu did homework and played ping pong in the upstairs student lounge area while I walked the track for the hour of Luke’s practice at the Y. We enjoyed our favorite night of the week, popcorn night, when we got home. On Wednesday, Gracie returned and we had our first snowfall of the year. Ann had a successful dental appointment. Luke was so funny that night when we got home…he ran from the van and kneeled in the snow-covered yard and exclaimed, “Snow! Snow! Snow!!” The now #18-ranked Purdue Boilermakers faced Virginia Tech that night in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. It was an exciting game that was close all the way and went in to overtime where the Boilers won to up their record to 8-1. I received a text from my best friend Paul that day…our good friend Ryan passed away one year to the day. On Thursday, the boys had a quiet evening at home, trying to stay warm. The temps dropped down in to the low twenties that day and evening. The girls went to dance class where Abby practiced her tap routine. On Friday night, Ann went shopping with Amy up in Greenwood for most of the night. Luke rode the bus home to his buddy Jeremy (dubbed, “Germie” by Lukey!)’s house where he stayed the night. I picked up Bu & Gracie at Mom’s where we had a good talk for about a half hour, until Matt called that he was done with wrestling practice. Sandy was busy setting up for the Christmas parade uptown, where she was going to interview kids as they waited to see Santa, who was making his first appearance in town. The girls and I picked up Matt and we set out on a modified version of family night. We went out to eat at the old Acapulco restaurant, now called El Chile Poblano where no one left hungry and they had margaritas on special…so we all left happy. We then went home and picked out a Christmas movie. We were going to watch Christmas Vacation and then Santa Paws, but ended up watching Home Alone 2 on Netflix, via the Wii. I didn’t last a half hour before I was sawing logs… We were up early on Saturday. It had started snowing early that morning and we had close to a half inch when I ran Matt over to the 2010 Greensburg Reserve Wrestling Invitational at 6:30 a.m. at the high school. Gracie stayed the night with us and Ann took the girls to Columbus for her annual work event, “Cookies with Santa.” I picked up Lukey from “Germie’s” house and headed over to the YMCA for his basketball game. Luke played against the Jazz. It was never close (even though they don’t keep score). Luke played the best game of his short career, making 2 of 15 shots for 4 points, 1 assist and 2 turnovers when he had the ball. But it wasn’t his offensive numbers that helped his team to victory – it was his hustle on defense! He had 15 rebounds, 3 steals, 5 forced turnovers and one charge taken. But what won’t show up on the stats page was how good his defense was and how many hustle plays he made. On more than one occasion, he could be seen forcing a bad shot and then hustling across the court to get the rebound on the other side! I was very proud of how hard he played and I know it pained Ann to miss it…

cws10.1 cws10.2 cws10.3 cws10.4 cws10.5 cws10.6 cws10.7 cws10.8 cws10.9 cws10.10 cws10.12 cws10.13 lbbj10.1aa lbbj10.2aa lbbj10.3aa lbbj10.4aa lbbj10.5aa lbbj10.6aa lbbj10.7aa lbbj10.8aa lbbj10.9aa lbbj10.10aa lbbj10.11aa lbbj10.12aa lbbj10.13aa lbbj10.14aa lbbj10.15aa lbbj10.16aa lbbj10.17aa lbbj10.18aa lbbj10.19aa lbbj10.20aa lbbj10.21aa lbbj10.22aa lbbj10.23aa lbbj10.24aa lbbj10.25aa lbbj10.26aa lbbj10.27aa lbbj10.28aa lbbj10.29aa lbbj10.30aa lbbj10.31aa lbbj10.32aa lbbj10.33aa

After the game, we hurried over to the high school’s field house where the boys had set up the facility to house three simultaneous meets with plenty of seating at each mat. It was a pretty nice set up and the building is very nice still, even though it is now about 10 years old. The roads were pretty snowed over at that point and I’d say we had about 2 inches on the ground before noon. There were 6 teams, so Matt had the potential to wrestle 5 times. However, there are four boys, including him, at his weight class, 189. He was proud to make weight when he tipped the scales at 188 that morning. The coach decided not to bump him up, so that meant very limited time for him. He didn’t wrestle in the first round, which was against Lawrence North. Greensburg lost by 2 points, 35-32. He did see action in round two, when the Pirates squared off against Carmel. However, he and the team ran in to a buzz saw and were blown out. Matt was doing fine about 30 seconds in to his match when he made a mistake and kept his head down when he tried to shoot for a takedown. He was caught and thrown to his back and pinned. I thought the referee had stopped the match a little quick and I told him so…but realistically, Matt was in a really had spot and probably wasn’t getting free anyhow… He again did not wrestle in the third round, where we faced West Lafayette Harrison. We won that one by 50 points; only losing two matches the entire time. In the fourth round, the Pirates matched up against East Central – who beat our boys soundly. Ann made it back to town for that one. She dropped off the girls at Deanna’s house to play for a while. Alex and Christy showed up at this time as well. Alex broke his arm while competing in elementary school wrestling. Ann & Christy chatted for an hour while the boys ran around. Luke ended up leaving with Alex to go play at his house for a few hours. In the fifth and final competition, Greensburg faced Mooresville. Matt finally had a match and Ann finally got a chance to watch her son wrestle this year. He did not disappoint as he took his much larger opponent and stuck him to the mat in approximately 30 seconds in to the 1st period! Greensburg aped this success as they won for the second time and left the day 2-3. Carmel won the invitational by winning all five meets.

mwgri10.1 mwgri10.2 mwgri10.3 mwgri10.4 mwgri10.5 mwgri10.6 mwgri10.7 mwgri10.8 mwgri10.9 mwgri10.10 mwgri10.11 mwgri10.12 mwgri10.13 mwgri10.13a mwgri10.13b mwgri10.13c mwgri10.13d mwgri10.13e mwgri10.14 mwgri10.14a mwgri10.14b mwgri10.14c mwgri10.14d mwgri10.14e mwgri10.14f mwgri10.15 mwgri10.15a mwgri10.15b mwgri10.15c mwgri10.16 mwgri10.16a mwgri10.16b mwgri10.17 mwgri10.17a mwgri10.17b mwgri10.18 mwgri10.18a mwgri10.19 mwgri10.20 mwgri10.21 mwgri10.22

It was still snowing when we left the Fieldhouse. There was already about 3 inches on the ground and it continued to snow off and on all the way through the next morning. We came home and ate some great homemade meatloaf and potato fries before going outside to try and make a snowman. The kids really wanted to go sledding, but at the time, the snow was too wet – which was perfect for a snowman. Well, by the time we finished dinner, the sun had long been down and when we attempted to make a snowman, the snow had refrozen and wouldn’t pack appropriately enough for a snowman…it did offer decent snowballs if you got down in to the wet stuff at the bottom, so we ran around the front yard pegging each other for a while but had to come in when Lukey started crying due to a shot to the face by his loving sister.

fsos10.1 fsos10.2 fsos10.3 fsos10.4 fsos10.5 fsos10.6 fsos10.7 fsos10.8 fsos10.9 fsos10.10 fsos10.11 fsos10.12 fsos10.13 fsos10.14 fsos10.15 fsos10.16 fsos10.17 fsos10.18 fsos10.19 fsos10.20 fsos10.22 fsos10.23 fsos10.24 fsos10.25 fsos10.26 fsos10.27 fsos10.28 fsos10.29 fsos10.30 fsos10.31 fsos10.32 fsos10.33 fsos10.34 fsos10.35 fsos10.36 fsos10.37 fsos10.38 fsos10.39 fsos10.40

On Sunday, Ann and I went to Indianapolis to meet up with her docs, George & Dan and their wives for lunch at Mo’s, downtown. Afterwards we drove over to Lucas Oil Stadium to watch the Colts take on my Dallas Cowboys. Actually, it was a win-win situation for me as I follow and support them both! I was just hoping for a good game…and a couple trips to the Bloody Mary bar!! 😛 I’ll provide the recap next week…along with Matt’s fall awards banquet as well. For now, we have to get going up to Indy…

Here are this week’s videos:

Next up, let’s flip on the Waybac Machine…we start off with Mo & Poppy with their children around 1950 or so; a couple more slides from Dean’s collection: Dean in the woods and some gal in a stairwell; part of my Hot Wheel collection at Crum’s house in 1977; and then several of us in November of 1980 at the Kenwood St home in LaPorte: Mom & I after raking leaves in the side yard, Thanksgiving Day dinner with our young family and Grandmaw & Grandpaw Brown (I love the look Grandpaw & Rob are giving each other); and then Rob ready to eat at our set table.

Waybac.1950.mapwk Waybac.1950s.DiJ Waybac.1950s.lib Waybac.1976.HotWheels Waybac.1980.11.rkoks1 Waybac.1980.11.rloks2 Waybac.1980.11.tgdoks1 Waybac.1980.11.tgdoks2 Waybac.1980.11.tgdoks3 Waybac.1980.11.tgdoks4

Fast-forward to about October of 1987 with Rob opening presents in our Rockwood St living room with his buddies. It looks like he had a little accident as his knee is all busted up and his ankle is taped up…Rob, any clue what happened? Then on to what appears to be the Brown Family Christmas in about ’87 (Mom, I don’t recognize this area – maybe a garage or basement – is it Kenny & Marilou’s house? Then a year later in about 1988 in our living room and then what I think is the Bryan Family Christmas in Kokomo in about ’88: Uncle Virden, Uncle Dan and Rob; Rob, Nathan & I doing the birthday thing; and then waiting for presents in the living room – we have a very young Dena Marie, Grandpaw Brown (was this the only time he visited this house?), me (biting my fingernails) with Rob trying to get me to probably go play catch, Nathan and Aunt Sharon and Ann with her colleagues in the Greensburg High School jazz band (thanks to her friend on Facebook for this photo). They were joking about her wearing a table cloth. 😉

Waybac.1987.10.rwhfaf.rslp Waybac.1987.12.bfc Waybac.1988.10rbdsp.lp Waybac.1988.11.bfc1.wski Waybac.1988.11.bfc2.wski Waybac.1988.11.bfc3.wski Waybac.1988.Ann.Jazz.Band.Group.Photo

Here we have a bunch from the summer of about ’89: More pics from the summer vacation at White Birch Village in Wisconsin – looks like it was Grandpaw Brown’s birthday…I see Grandpaw, Kenny, Marilou, Kenny’s sister, Dorothy, Timmie, Mom, Dad and Rob – what a crew… then Aunt Lou Atha out at the Hausers during what is likely a fish fry…although it may be a baby shower judging by the balloons; and then 2 pictures of the Brown home on Elmwood shortly after Grandpaw passed away:

Waybac.1989.07.viwgb0 Waybac.1989.07.viwgb1 Waybac.1989.07.viwgb2 Waybac.1989.07.viwgb3 Waybac.1989.09.viwgb4 Waybac.1991.11.gpbdh Waybac.1991.11.gpbdh1

Next we have pictures of the 1994 Brown Family Christmas, downstairs at Mom & Dad’s dream house in Rossville: Rob with Cujo; Dad setting at the table (that now sets in our kitchen) and Mom showing off her new sweatshirt; Rob & Amanda at Christmas time in Rossville in ‘94; and then a barrage from 1997: Rob with a horse in Three Springs, AL in April; Mom & Dad B at the Sand Pebble and Cinderella’s Castle during the 25th Anniversary celebration at Walt Disney World in May; Mom in AL in May; Ann with Matt at the baby contest and Matt & I and Matt & Gigi on July 4th; Matt mowing the lawn at Mom & Sandy’s; Matt running around our Main St home and enjoying feeding himself in July.

Waybac.1994.12.bcir1 Waybac.1994.12.bcir2 Waybac.1994.12.bcir3 Waybac.1994.12.raa.ri1 Waybac.1994.12.raa.ri2 Waybac.1994.12.raa.ri3 Waybac.1997.04.tsarwh1 Waybac.1997.04.tsarwh2 Waybac.1997.05.fv1 Waybac.1997.05.fv2 Waybac.1997.05.fv3 Waybac.1997.05.fv4 Waybac.1997.05.tsact Waybac.1997.07.mabcwa1 Waybac.1997.07.madwf1 Waybac.1997.07.mag Waybac.1997.07.mmml Waybac.1997.07.moms1 Waybac.1997.07.moms2 Waybac.1997.07.moms3 Waybac.1997.12.moms4

And finally, several pictures of Matt at our Breakfast with Pooh in Walt Disney World in May of ’99; then Matt with Mom, poolside at the Sand Pebble a couple days later; Mo & Poppy with their grandchildren around 2000 and my friend Mark at a Meet n Greet with Mötley Crüe at the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indy on Sept 21, 2005.

Waybac.1999.05.09.bwpwdw1 Waybac.1999.05.09.bwpwdw2 Waybac.1999.05.09.bwpwdw3 Waybac.1999.05.09.bwpwdw4 Waybac.1999.05.09.bwpwdw5 Waybac.1999.05.09.fv1 Waybac.1999.05.09.fv2 Waybac.1999.05.09.fv3 Waybac.2000.bfgcp Waybac.2005.09.21.RedWhiteAndCrueMnG.CFindy

That does it for this week’s version of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one.
Later, Scheu

3 comments to Break the Ice, I can’t Take Anymore

  • Mom

    Good going Lukie Duke. Great game and his skills are improving each week. Good going also to Matt for his meets. I agree with you Tom…that was an awfully quick call on the pin against Matt. But… to the pictures, the ones with Aunt Lou and dad in Wisconsin had to be around his birthday as that looks like a cake (or something) in a pan with a candle in it. Rob with the two boys is at LaPorte and the two boys are Pam Levandoski’s boys Shawn (with the dark hair and Batman shirt) and Christopher that is sitting by Rob. I sent it to her. Again thanks for the snow picture and the dogs are sooo cute expecially Molly with her snow nose. Glad to hear that Keith is okay the would be very scarey. Take care and we love you and again thanks for your efforts each week. XXXOOO’s

  • How is Pam? I don’t remember her boys, but by that time in my life I was more interetsted in what was going on away from the home than in or near it. 🙁 If you look at Rob in that picture, his knee is all scraped up and if you look real close, you will see his ankle is wrapped as well…any idea what happened? If you think she would like it, I can send you a much better version of that picture in it’s original quality. LMK if you want me to email it to you. Love you guys…c’mon, you gotta be missing all this snow and cold weather – be honest now… 🙂 LOL! It is 5 this morning. I just went out and started the van and it really didn’t want to wake up! I enjoyed talking to you the other day. We love you guys. Talk to you later,
    – Tom

  • Mom

    I really don’t remember what happened with his ankle and knee…hard telling. Yes, send me that pic so I can forward on to Pam please. She would love it. Also, I don’t know where that one pic is taken unless it was the year that the Brown Christmas was at Tammie’s. I don’t know as nothing looks familiar to me. Have fun in the snow and cold. Love you very much and maybe Rob remembers what happened to him in that picture. Take care, stay warm and enjoy the coming weekend. XXXOOO’s

Leave a Reply