Dance, Dance, Dance…Dance, Dance, Dance…All Night Long

Rain…although it is essential for life, it sure has a way of getting in the way of living it at times as well. We have had over a foot of rain in the month of April. But the April showers are now gone (right???) …and so we are now looking forward to all the May flowers. Monday saw the beginning of ISTEP this week at the elementary school. Abby has a done a good job of getting a good breakfast and plenty of sleep each night this week and reported she felt pretty good about the outcomes of the testing. I was so proud of my oldest son on Monday afternoon. He texted me and wondered if he should skip practice due to the inordinate amount of homework he was charged with for the night. I told him that school always comes first before sports. He made the correct choice and knocked out all his homework (good job, bud!). Ann had a rough day, as did I as we began our week-long state licensing survey. We were all headed over to Mom & Sandy’s for dinner (Keith & Rosie were staying one more night) and Ann requested the rum and coke to help unwind with her brother…of which I was happy to oblige. Mom had lots of leftovers to munch on, as you might imagine; but she also made two great big pots of chili as well. We ate all night long. The kids were a little over-the-top – all of them. The girls were a bit dramatic and the boys were a little moody. When we tried to get a nice family portrait, it was a bit like the old Simpson’s bit. That was the first time I’d ever seen the Simpsons and it I knew then that I could never get enough of those little yellow angels. It was on the Tracey Ullman Show I was watching and Homer was simply trying to get a nice picture of the family…well you can see it below for yourself if you’ve never seen it before – suffice it to say that our photo shoot had similar results! LOL! However, it all worked out in the end and we have a couple very nice portraits to share with you today…oh it did I mention it rained?!

asq11.45 epam11.1 epam11.2 epam11.3 epam11.4 epam11.5 epam11.6 epam11.7 epam11.8 epam11.9 epam11.10 epam11.11 epam11.12 epam11.13 epam11.14 epam11.15 epam11.16

On Tuesday, Ann made us all a big breakfast (for Abby, but she made plenty of extras for the rest of us – thanks Honey!). Matt returned to weight lifting, but that was the only sport going on that night. Luke and I went to baseball practice where I spent close to half an hour just trying to get the field dried out after the morning downpour. It eventually turned out to be a decent evening (if a little chilly) for a baseball practice). We worked on defense the entire practice, which I was happy to see). Ann got her Pacifica back and said goodbye to leaky, little Herby. Matt was mortified to be dropped off at school in it and I was a bit surprised he didn’t volunteer to take the bus. 😉 We had some pretty bad flooding that day, especially on our way to work where one of the roads was nearly closed due to the water flowing steadily across it…
On Wednesday, we got more rain…a LOT more rain. Abby’s softball and Luke’s baseball practices were cancelled – which was just as well as I had the EOC tour portion of our licensure inspection that day. I felt like we did pretty well – about a B+. We are looking to totally gut and upgrade our bathrooms in the EOC…which was what the inspector hit on. That was also the topic for one of the two corporate visitor tours that were also facilitated today. It was a long day that saw me get in to work a little after 7 and didn’t see me get my ass home until almost 11 that night. My corporate project manager took a very close and frank look at our building and met with Kelly, JT, Denis and myself; along with an entourage of his project crew. He will be putting together a five year plan to address our building’s needs on a priority basis…so there’s lots of work to do. We later went out for dinner at Papa’s Grill. Gracie left for Florida to be with Chad and his parents during their annual visit. It was curious that they would pull her not only in the middle of a school week – but especially puzzling as it was during ISTEP testing, which will set her behind; I hope she can catch up quickly…did I mention it rained on and off all day today??

aard11.1 aard11.2 aomif11.1 aomif11.2 aomif11.3 mlf11.1 mlf11.2 mlf11.3 mlf11.4 mlf11.5 mlf11.6 mlf11.7

Thursday gave us…yep, more stinkin’ rain! It came all day and night again. Luke had a dental appointment that was a follow up to his last check-up. The poor little guy had two teeth pulled. He bled for about an hour afterwards before it finally stopped. Ann & I had our reservations about him taking place in the practice game he had that night. In fact, I called his coach and told him he would likely NOT be participating. He warmed up really well and didn’t seem too hazy and convinced me that he could protect himself and do no further damage. He convinced me that he was OK and was a real trooper out there – going 2 for 3 at the plate, scoring two runs, getting and RBI and made several assists and other defensive plays at pitcher. I, on the other hand, was a bit rusty as I was asked to pitch at the last minute when the other coach didn’t show up at the game. It was very wet and every pitch hit the ground and when the ball came back to me, it was muddy and slick – which didn’t help. I struck out two of the first three kids I faced, but did much better as the game progressed. We won again, this time 6-0 in a shortened game.
I was a bit sore on Friday morning…sore and stiff. I had lizard butt that morning as I was draggin’ ass! LOL! However, it was a fast half-day, as I left early and met up with Ann, who had pulled the kiddos out a couple hours early from school so we could get Bu all ready and we could all head up to Franklin for the weekend. The boys dropped off the girls at that beautiful new high school of theirs around 4:15 and headed to the hotel to check-in (a very nice Comfort Inn) and then headed out to join the gals and do a whole lotta waiting. In all, we were there 6 hours for a 3 minute performance. Abby’s tap competition dance was up first. The gals have been doing competitions for a few years now; this year was a routine to Route 66. The gals didn’t hit the stage until after 9 but did fairly well throughout. There were a couple mistakes towards the end but still, I thought they did very well. They earned Gold status but no other awards. I tried to order the video and pictures, but was very disappointed to find that the video was just a low quality, standard 1-camera video and that the pictures were few and far between. They only took 16 pictures of the routine. Although I did not attempt to get any pictures, I did shoot my own video and I have to say that mine from the back row is in better quality than what I bought from them. The few pictures they did have of Abby won’t be available for a couple weeks, so I took my video and captured some screen shots off it which will have to suffice – but that really grinds my gears!! I even asked the photographer to shoot some extra pictures and there were only a handful with Abby even in them. When the awards ceremony ended, we were all hungry so we went across the street to Chili’s and didn’t get back to the hotel until near midnight and it was well after 1 before we all finally fell asleep. Luke & Abby fought in the bed and wouldn’t settle down so poor Matt ended up sleeping on the floor but said he was much more comfy down there than up with his siblings.

asq11.1 asq11.2 asq11.3 asq11.4 asq11.5 asq11.6 asq11.7 asq11.8 asq11.9 asq.10 asq11.11 asq11.12 asq11.13 asq11.14 asq11.15 asq11.16 asq11.17 asq11.18 asq11.19

After a mere 3 ½ hours, the girls were awake and back at it again. I let the boys sleep in a little and took the gals back out to the high school to meet up with Amy & Baili for Abby’s second dance – this time a jazz routine to Break Your Heart. The girls nailed it – it was the best I’d seen her dance. She has really improved. We were so proud of her performances in both dances. The girls earned a High Gold (equivalent to platinum at ShowStopper) but did not win any other awards. I told Matt at the time and I still feel this way – I felt like the competition was fixed in favor of one of the local dance studios that somehow managed to win all of the major awards and all had very high marks. Whatever; I don’t know that we’ll be back to this one next year for these very issues that our dance instructor feels as well. The other issue I had with this was that our girls are 11 years old and are competing after 9 pm and the same thing happened the night before – on a school night! I know there isn’t probably much that could be done about it, but we were also not pleased that she danced last one night and first the next morning with only a few hours between – and these are elementary-aged children. We got out of there after 1:30 pm and were starving. We went in to town to the Applebee’s where we had a terrible waitress that was easily confused and only served to piss off Amy the longer we were there…needless to say we won’t be back anytime soon. We finally made it home in the late afternoon. Bu & Duke joined me in mowing at Meema & Gigi’s house. I still have the trimmer out of commission so I need to figure out if JT is going to be able to really look at it or if I need to take it elsewhere. We all came home and the kids cleaned out the Pacifica and Grand Caravan by vacuuming and Windex-ing (thanks guys!). They were about ¾ done when all of their friends started coming out of the woodwork. By the time I got done with mowing our yard, the kids were all inside and left me to clean up the front yard. Joel Chase had come over to have Matt work on his iPod. After I got out of the shower, Matt asked me to take Joel home (he lives in Ann’s childhood house just a couple doors down from Maryann & Sandy). I took all the kids out for ice cream at Dairy Point and got home just before it started to rain yet again. Ann took a long nap that afternoon / evening and got up around 9:30 to prepare for working at the After-Prom event at the high school. She got back at some point on Sunday morning, just before dawn. Due to the lack of sleep, it was no mystery that she was a bit grumpy on Sunday.
It rained all night and I love to sleep during the rain / storms…so much so that I slept in until I forced myself to get up at 11! That was the latest I’d slept in quite a long time. We got up and got to doing our weekly chores to clean up the house as it rained all day and night again…too bad I’m not a frog; I’d love all this wet weather! As I finish this entry up late tonight, Matt just came out to the living room and had me turn the TV on to a local station and there I heard President Obama announce the ominous news – that Osama Bin Laden had been killed, nearly 10 years after 9-11…perhaps now some of my fellow Americans can now have closure on that tragic event…where were you when you heard the news?

asq11.20 asq11.21 asq11.22 asq11.23 asq11.24 asq11.25 asq11.26 asq11.27 asq11.28 asq11.29 asq11.30 asq11.31 asq11.32 asq11.33 asq11.34 asq11.35 asq11.36 asq11.37 asq11.38 asq11.39 asq11.40 asq11.41 asq11.42 asq11.42a asq.11.43 asq11.44 asq11.45 asq11.46 asq11.47 asq11.48 asq11.49 asq11.50 asq11.51 asq11.52 asq11.53 asq11.54 asq11.55 asq11.56

Here are this week’s videos, including our latest family video which has two recordings (official & bootleg) of both of Abby’s dance performances this weekend in Franklin at ShowStopper:

Simpsons Shorts – Family trait

Next, let’s flip on the Waybac machine…although it doesn’t go too far back this week…we lead off in the not so distant past of 1987…ah, what a great year that was! Here we have the annual October birthday party – this year at the Smith’s in Kokomo. I see where Mom posted on the blog that yesterday was Uncle Dan’s 60th birthday…Happy Birthday, Uncle Dan! Included in these pictures are Katie, Nathan and Dan; then we have rare pictures of me playing football at Franklin College. I was actually healthy for this game, dressed and standing in the cold rain. These are followed by a slew of pictures of a trip to the Studebaker Museum somewhere nearby, I suppose. I believe Mom, Dad, Rob & Uncle Timmie & Aunt Dorothy went in the spring of 1989.

Waybac.1987.10.bdik1 Waybac.1987.10.bdik2 Waybac.1987.10.bdik3 Waybac.1987.10.bdik4 Waybac.1987.10.tcfg1 Waybac.1987.10.tcfg2 Waybac.1989.vtsm1 Waybac.1989.vtsm2 Waybac.1989.vtsm3 Waybac.1989.vtsm4 Waybac.1989.vtsm5

Next, we head to the nineties for Matt and Grandpaw Bryan during a visit to Greensburg for Thanksgiving weekend in 1997, including a wagon ride uptown to see the tree in the courthouse; next are a group of great photos of Dad B & Uncle Kenny with the grandkids out back of Kenny’s pole barn during the annual fish fry / Brown family reunion in June of ’98; these are followed by pictures of Dad & Matt on a tractor, Dad at the Bryan family Christmas at their house in ’99 and finally Christmas Day at our house in ’99.

Waybac.1997.11.26.tgig1 Waybac.1997.11.26.tgig2 Waybac.1997.11.26.tgig3 Waybac.1997.11.26.tgig4 Waybac.1998.06.vir1 Waybac.1998.06.vir2 Waybac.1998.06.vir3 Waybac.1998.06.vir4 Waybac.1998.06.vir5 Waybac.1999.12.10.bfcir1a Waybac.1999.12.10.bfcir2a Waybac.1999.12.25.cdig15 Waybac.1999.12.25.cdig16 Waybac.1999.12.25.cdig17 Waybac.1999.12.25.cdig18

The final section starts with Matt getting ready eat birthday cake in 2000, then we have a bunch of the kids visiting Mom & Dad in Y2K; Matt’s birthday in 2001 with Mom, Dad, Matt, Gigi, Rich & Maddie Drew, and Baili & Amy Ewing; Week 19 party in May of 2001 at the Sand Pebble (which is coming up next week, I believe!!); Matt playing Hot Wheels off the stairs in 2001; and finally Christmas Day in 2006.

Waybac.2000.03.mbdp0 Waybac.2000.ttgh1 Waybac.2000.ttgh2 Waybac.2000.ttgh3 Waybac.2000.ttgh4 Waybac.2001.03.mbdc Waybac.2001.03.mbdp1 Waybac.2001.03.mbdp2 Waybac.2001.05.13.wnpasp1 Waybac.2001.05.13.wnpasp2 Waybac.2001.mwhwt1 Waybac.2001.mwhwt2 Waybac.2006.12.25.cdig11a Waybac.2006.12.25.cdig12a Waybac.2006.12.25.cdig13a Waybac.2006.12.25.cdig14

That wraps up another episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for checking in with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one.
Later, Scheu

2 comments to Dance, Dance, Dance…Dance, Dance, Dance…All Night Long

  • Mom

    Rain, rain go away….come again another day!!! How’s that sound? Great video of the dance contest. She looked good to me and I agree with you she should have gotten better, but….not with those judges I guess. The waybac was good also. We went to the Studebaker museum which was in South Bend with Uncle Timmie and Aunt Dorothy. It was a very neat museum to see. Had a good time and Uncle Timmie sure liked the old cars. Oh I remember sitting in the rain and cold to watch you at Franklin. I should say see you on the sidelines huh?? Oh well I guess it was a good experience for you. Such cute pics of little Matthew too and a very little Abby. Take care and I am trying to push some of this heat your way and dry weather too. We leave Sat. for the condo on Treasure Island. Maybe one day you can all come down for the week. Love you bunches!! XXXOOO’s

  • Uncle Robby

    Hey guys sorry I havent been keeping up real well as of late. Things have been so busy for us around here. We too have been hit by rain and so very nasty storms. We have been fortunate and received no damage but it sure looks like a war zone with all the trees down around us. So ready to get week 18 over and enjoy the 19th one. We fly out Fri and come back on Mon 16th. Kind of nervous or dreading the whole airport after the news of us finally getting bin laden I think I would of hung his body from the brooklyn bridge for a week that would stop any extremesist arab uprising I bet. Well i need to go so I can get up and be able to get all my stuff done tomorrow. Love you guys.

Leave a Reply