Can’t Wait for Nine Tonight

Mom & Dad have had a busy week – even busier than our week, I believe! “Little” Vicky (Albrights) is down this week to visit with her good buddy, Mom. Rob & Sharon are down on a semi-permanent basis, doing some intense house-hunting around the area and waiting to get word of work for Rob. It was a chemo week for Mom…only one more round to go! Not only did the poor thing have three chemo treatments, but also a vitamin booster, 2 rounds of dialysis and a transfusion…plus a doctor’s appointment – poor thing. Protests continued at the Apostolic Church, following the viral YouTube video of the small child spewing hate within the sanctuary as the congregation cheered like spectators at a bull fight. Mitch Daniels was named the President…of Purdue University – that is, we finally had time to get a few things done around the house that were damaged last year by the tornado and our drought continued to make things arid and dusty not only around the house and work, but especially out at the ball diamonds where we continued to spend a fair amount of our free time. But the big news of the week was that we celebrated our “baby” Lukey’s 9th birthday! I guess he’s not a baby anymore…man are we old!! As promised last week, we begin with pictures from last weekend on Father’s Day.

afsft12.11 tfd12.1 tfd12.2 tfd12.3 tfd12.4 tfd12.5 tfd12.6 tfd12.7 tfd12.8 tfd12.9 tfd12.10 tfd12.11 tfd12.12 tfd12.13 tfd12.14 tfd12.15

After a long weekend, Monday had me back to work. It was hot, muggy and dry. Matt went in early for football practice before work. That evening Abby had slow-pitch softball vs. Eaton Day Law (her old team w/ lots of friends) in the “Battle for the Basement!” You see, it was the final game of the regular season and both teams entered the game with only one win and ten losses. The loser would claim the worst record in the league. Our girls came out fired up and ready to play that night and we won 18-10! Abby was 3-4 from the plate with 3 singles, a walk and a K (that really honked her off again!). We were pleased to that she hit the ball so well tonight! She played 1st base and made a really nice play to dig out a bad throw as well as made all the routine catches. She had 2 RBIs as well from the leadoff position. Of course, it helped that we only had 9 players and we were missing the “right” players that are less athletic on the team. Matt had football practices again in the early evening as well. Ann & I had a long talk with Bu at the dinner table, regarding the birds & bees, personal info, and how those two things tie in to Facebook, texting and boys…

asbfb12.1 asbfb12.2 asbfb12.3 asbfb12.4 asbfb12.5 asbfb12.6 asbfb12.7 asbfb12.8 asbfb12.9 asbfb12.10 asbfb12.11 asbfb1.212 asbfb12.13 asbfb12.14 asbfb12.15 asbfb12.16 asbfb12.17 asbfb12.18 asbfb12.19 asbfb12.20 asbfb12.21 asbfb12.22

Matt had early football again on Tuesday. Abby had volleyball practice in the morning, so Luke stayed with Gma in the morning – which he loved… Matt returned to the high school practice field for evening football practice and then stayed late to do running to make for lost time last week during wrestling camp…as if he didn’t run enough while he was gone?????? …But whatever… I spoke to Dad on the phone that night. He and Mom talked with the doctors today, regarding tests from last week. …Sounds like the news was mixed, but mostly positive – most tumors have shrunk, some have disappeared all together and a few had very little change. Best news of all – no new tumors! This is a chemo week, so she has received treatments yesterday, today and will have one more tomorrow. I asked Dad about her kidneys and the possibility of regaining their function, but it sounds like at this point they are lost to dialysis for the rest of her life. The kids and I played catch (practicing pitching) for about a half our or so before Dad pooped out. The kids played for another half hour or so before the head zapped them as well.

lapc12.1 lapc12.2 lapc12.3 lapc12.4 lapc12.5 lapc12.6 lapc12.7

It was hot & very arid on Wednesday. We had to finally start watering our plants and young trees at work and at home. All kids had the day off, so they did some good cleaning at home. When Ann & I got home, the kids and I worked on our temporary fence in the backyard. Because we are still haggling with the insurance company over fence reimbursement, we figured our fence might be here for a while until we get it replaced. They gave us an allowance for a 6’ fence when we had an 8’ one. So we have held off on replacing it (only the gate remains now) so that we still have physical proof of its size (we got rid of all the rest of it after the tornado last year). Besides, we decided that “we” wanted to upgrade the kitchen appliances this year instead anyhow. :0) …at least until we get appropriate reimbursement on the fence. This, along with the need to have a gate to get out the back yard for mowing, playing, etc and needing a better area for pitching with a more appropriate backstop (the kids are tearing up the shed), we decided to make the best of our temporary fence and move it back to our original fencerow. The kids did a great job helping me. With teamwork, we got it knocked out in only a couple hours in the heat (man, that ground was hard!). It looks OK for what it is, if I do say so myself… Lots of Facebook pictures to share this week, including Lindsay & June in Africa, Wendy & Bethany, Cathy & Chuck, Conner & Karsen, Mackenzie (Natalie’s daughter) & our old friend Wayne.

fbp12.6.41 fbp12.6.42 fbp12.6.43 fbp12.6.44 fbp12.6.45 fbp12.6.46 fbp12.6.47 fbp12.6.48 fbp12.6.49 fbp12.6.50 fbp12.6.51 fbp12.6.52 fbp12.6.53 fbp12.6.54 fbp12.6.55 fbp12.6.56 fbp12.6.57 fbp12.6.58 fbp12.6.59 fbp12.6.60 fbp12.6.61 fbp12.6.62 fbp12.6.63

It was another long, hot day again on Thursday. Matt returned to football in the early morning. We dropped Abby & Luke off at Meema & Gigi’s house so Bu would have a ride to volleyball practice and then the kids returned back home for the day. Matt participated in a 7-on-7 competition with North High School that evening. He played varsity center for the Pirates – pretty cool. Luke & I finally put the curtains back up in the playroom that evening (which have been down since the tornado hit last year). Matt & I watched the last game of the NBA finals with Miami vs. OKC…and the Heat took home the title and LeBron “King” James was named the MVP after a triple double. Matt was happy, as he claims to be a Heat fan now. Ann made one of our favorite dishes for dinner – garlic chicken!

mfbcia12.1 mwss12.1b lamh12.6 lamh12.7

I went in to work early on Friday to facilitate a 3rd shift fire drill and then worked all day and stayed late working on our submission of the capital expenditure paperwork for our major bathroom renovation project that is finally nearing the end of the planning stage and actually starting after two years! Matt had the day off from football. Abby had batting practice before her game, out at the YMCA. I hurried to the ball diamonds where I met Ann and the kids for Bu’s fast-pitch softball game. It was the Battle of the Banks as our First Federal girls took on the powerful Fifth Third team. We battled pretty well but in the end, came up short with a close loss, 8-6. Abby went 0-0 with 2 walks, 3 stolen bases and 2 runs scored. With the loss, the girls saw their record drop below .500 at 2-3. Before her game ended, Luke & I had to leave diamond 3 and head over to diamond 5 where Luke’s Mesco White Sox were playing in their first tourney game against the last place Blue Jays. Luke played 1st and batted leadoff. He had damn good defense – making several plays with one error. He went 3-3 at the plate with 3 singles, 3 runs scored and 2 RBIs. The game was never close as we blew out the winless team 20-1! Matt spent the night at Joel’s and missed the game after Luke told him that he didn’t want him to come. I was disappointed that he wasn’t the bigger person and come anyhow. He would’ve loved the game. It was very exciting (for our team). After the game, Abby stayed behind at the ball diamonds and hung out with her friends while waiting for Kenzi’s game to end (which ended up being after 10!) and then she spent the night with us. The girls ended up staying up all night till about 4 in the morning…

afsft12.1 afsft12.2 afsft12.3 afsft12.4 afsft12.5 afsft12.6 afsft12.7 afsft12.8 afsft12.9 afsft12.10 afsft12.11 afsft12.12 afsft12.13 afsft12.14 afsft12.15 afsft12.16 afsft12.17 afsft12.18 afsft12.19 afsft12.20 afsft12.21 afsft12.22 afsft12.23 afsft12.24 lbtr12.1 lbtr12.2 lbtr12.3 lbtr12.4 lbtr12.5 lbtr12.6 lbtr12.7

As you might expect, the girls slept in till noon on Saturday. Ann got up and went scrapbooking with Amy at Mrs. B’s. Matt spent all day and then stayed the night again with Joel at his house. Abby, Kenzi & Luke played outside in our front yard and street with neighborhood kids all day and didn’t come in until it was dark. I finally got around to ordering parts for our gas grill’s innards that were destroyed when the tornado flipped it over last year. Sunday was Lukey’s 9th birthday! We talked to Mom B a couple times in the morning. She was incredibly lucid, upbeat and her old self again! She said she was having the best day she has had since she was diagnosed!! She said she wasn’t real sure why she felt the way she did, other than she has stopped some of her pain meds. I know she was happy with being able to eat, walk, read and do all the normal things she hasn’t been able to do for months now. We are so happy for her and relieved that her quality of life is returning. Matt came home before the party started and Ann made corndogs for lunch, per Luke’s request. About 2, Grandma & Gigi came over as did Phyllis & Dick and we had a nice little party with a “death march” version of the birthday song (along with trick candles). 😉 Luke had a huge football cake from Amy’s mother-in-law that was half chocolate / half vanilla and all yummy! Luke got a Kindle Fire and a military-grade case for it along with lots of cash (needless to say, he was happy!). The kids played outside again most of the day before Kenzi went home before 5 that evening. Luke got to choose his birthday dinner, so Ann made chicken tacos along with some spicy salsa & Robby’s guacamole – it was very, very good!! We will have pictures and videos next week of today’s events. In the meantime, Aunt Sharon sent us several pictures from her recent events, including her visit down to Treasure Island & Largo to see Mom, Dad & Rob as well as Nathan, Steph and the girls’ vacation down to Treasure Island and then to Sea World and finally the grandkids – Haleigh & Jaicie – after winning the 8U softball league title (way to go Dairy Queens!) and then Katie’s kids riding with Grandpa (Uncle Dan) on the tractor.

asp12.1 asp12.2 asp12.3 asp12.4 asp12.5 asp12.6 asp12.7 asp12.8

In the meantime, we have videos – one family video from this week’s activities as well as a bunch from around the internet…

Next up we have our Waybac section and of course we are still featuring the Gil Hutton Collection of the Scheu family photo collection. Leading off we have several more from Sue & Hank’s wedding in April of ’61, including Aunt Mary K., Aunt Sue & Uncle Hank, Aunt Sally, Aunt Mary, Uncle Chuck and the others in the wedding party that I don’t know. That is followed by several of a young Cousin Cathy in ’64 – 3 months old in April, a couple at 11 months old in September (those numbers don’t work out, but that is what the information cards say!) and an undated one in a red outfit.

Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw9 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw10 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw11 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw12 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw13 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw14 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw15 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw16 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw17 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw18 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo1 Waybac.1964.09.03.c11mo2 Waybac.1964.09.03.c11mo3 Waybac.1964.cs2

Also included in this batch are a couple of Cousin David in April of ’65 at 3 months old; several of Uncle John & Aunt June’s wedding in December of ’68 – including pictures of Dad Scheu, who was the Best Man; then 6 ½ year old Cathy in June of 1970; a visit to someone’s farm where David & Cathy went horseback riding; and Cousin Steven who was 8 months old in November of 1978.

Waybac.1965.06.29.d1mo3 Waybac.1965.06.29.d1mo4 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw10 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw11 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw12 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw13 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw14 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw15 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw16 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo6 Waybac.1970.10.01.dacoh2 Waybac.1978.11.13.s8mo3

We have the Shit that Luke Says segment next…building off last week’s comments and after watching the video portion again, I had forgotten another one that crept out of his mouth… So, I told you that with his mouth full, he had tried to say Happy Father’s Day, but it sounded like Happy Ball’s Day, right? Well after some razzing of him, he started to take it further as you will see in this week’s video. Instead of Happy Balls Day, he then utters Happy Father’s Balls and then went too far when he quipped, I love your…” …well, you get what I’m saying – and if not, you’ll just have to watch the video as I really don’t want to repeat it here. …what a ham!! We live with our very own little stand up comic! We just need to teach him when the appropriate time to turn it off is… 😉

In closing, it has been a great week. Talking to Mom today and hearing her “complete” again was a real boost. I have been thinking more and more about her for obvious reasons and how she was but a shell of the woman she was…but she was back today. So good to talk to “you” today, Momma. We love you. Stay strong… For those of you still reading this far in to this week’s entry – thank you for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one.
Later, Scheu

2 comments to Can’t Wait for Nine Tonight

  • Mom

    Thanks Tom for all your wonderful comments!! I still am doing very good and am also so very proud of the kids and their accomplishments!! Loved the pics in the Waybac section…they are priceless!!! Hope you have a great week and I love you all. Great video also!!!

  • sharon

    Thnaks Tom for posted my trip to FL to see Ron n Sandy. I had a great time. Loved being with them. 🙂

    Love, Aunt Sharon

Leave a Reply