Hot Fun in the Summertime…

It’s been a couple of weeks since we touched base last time. While I write this, I find our family still thinking about that Florida sunshine and missing all the good times we had with our friends and family. The first week back was cooler with some rain most every day. We opened up the house but had to close it up for the 2nd week when the temps soared back up into the 80s and 90s and that darned humidity reared its evil head again. When we returned from vacation, Matt had a follow-up doctor visit with his surgeon and was cleared to do most lifting again! Abby had softball practice after school. Luke & I went with her and held our own practice out in the outfield before helping with their practice. Only 5 girls showed up for the practice – pretty shabby. Ann attended a social meeting/party at the neighbor’s house (some kind of shopping party-type thing). Luke and I trimmed trees around the yard and I fell asleep on the couch by 8, totally wiped-out from my first day back to work. Sadly, I learned that the rock world had lost another two classic rock players – Ray Manzerek, keyboard player and primary music writer of the Doors and Trevor Bolder, bassist for Uriah Heep and David Bowie’s backup group, the Spiders from Mars – both died of cancer. Matt got his prom pictures back. While we were away on vacation, we sent flowers to Barb for Mother’s Day. In the sweetest act kindness I have seen in many, many years – she took half of them to Mom’s grave and took a few pictures. I am forever grateful for this selfless act. We love you, Barbie…

mdf13.3 mdf13.2 mdf13.1 mpp13.1 lmmg13.1 lmmg13.2 lmmg13.3

On Tuesday, Abby had a softball game where she batted 3rd in the lineup and went 2 for 2 with a double and single. She also had two walks, scored 3 runs and had 2 RBI’s. She played 1st base and had a nice putout as she fielded the ball over the base and stepped on the bag. She also caught a fly ball to end the game as they easily won, 23-3! Matt had football practice. Abby was in early for Student Council. I had an eye doctor appointment due to losing my glasses on vacation during the flight down to FLA. Sadly, he said I was getting old and will likely begin losing my close-up vision. I had actually noticed it already while I am putting in my contacts.

ase13.1 ase13.2 ase13.3 ase13.4 ase13.5 ase13.6 ase13.7 ase13.8 ase13.9 ase13.10 ase13.11 ase13.12 ase13.13 ase13.14 ase13.15 ase13.16 ase13.17 ase13.18 ase13.19 ase13.20 ase13.21 ase13.22 ase13.23 ase13.24 ase13.25 ase13.26 ase13.27 ase13.28 ase13.29 ase13.30 ase13.31 ase13.32 ase13.33 ase13.34 ase13.35 ase13.36

On Wednesday, Matt had Leadership Academy before school and physical therapy afterwards. Abby had her track banquet at the Junior High. Luke brought home a bunch of artwork that we want to share. I thought he did really good on these…

ssb13.1 ssb13.2 ssb13.3 ssb13.4 ssb13.5 ssb13.6 ssb13.7 ssb13.8 ssb13.9 lap13.6.1 lap13.6.2 lap13.6.3 lap13.6.4 lap13.6.5 lap13.6.6 lap13.6.7 lap13.6.8 lap13.6.9 lap13.6.10 lap13.6.11 lap13.6.12 lap13.6.13

On Thursday, Abby’s softball game was cancelled, which allowed us to have a nice, quiet evening where I fell asleep early on the couch again. Ann left for her work retreat in Florida the next day (Friday). I helped her pack up the van at her work and said good-bye. Abby softball and pictures were again cancelled. Luke had baseball and it was our turn for snacks. Because I was running late, I just ran and got tickets at the concession stand. We faced what has become our arch-rivals, the Rangers. Basically, this is the other half of our team that split after last year. We got down early, giving up 7 runs in the top of the first inning. We continually fought back throughout the game but came up just short, losing 7-8. Luke went 1-2 with a double (his first hit of the year!). He also had a stolen base and scored a run on his buddy Drew’s homerun. He played 1st base where he had 2 putouts and made one error. We grabbed drive through afterwards and went to the Messers to eat our dinner and have a nightcap beverage. Drew came home with us and stayed the night.

lbra13.1 lbra13.2 lbra13.3 lbra13.4 lbra13.5 lbra13.6 lbra13.7 lbra13.8 lbr13.9 lbr13.10 lbr13.11 lbr13.12 lbr13.13

On Saturday, we did our outdoor work at Mom/Gigi’s house and then back at our home. In between, we ran Drew home. We later got cleaned up and went to the batting cages at the YMCA. We had to stop at the ice cream truck in the Topp’s parking lot afterwards since Luke hit a double last night. We have a ton of Facebook and other miscellaneous pictures to share this week…

bc13.1 bc13.2 bc13.3 bc13.4 bc13.5 bc13.6 bc13.7 bc13.8 bc13.9 bc13.10 bc13.11 bc13.12 bc13.13 bc13.14 bc13.15 bc13.16 bc13.17 bc13.18 bc13.19 bc13.20 bc13.21 ddp13.1 ddp13.2 ddp13.3 ddp13.4 ddp13.5 ddp13.6 ddp13.7 ddp13.8 fbpa13.5.30 fbpa13.5.31 fbpa13.5.32 fbpa13.5.33 fbpa13.5.34 fbpa13.5.35 fbpa13.5.36 fbpa13.5.37 fbpa13.5.38 fbpa13.5.39 fbpa13.5.40 fbpa13.5.41 fbpa13.5.42 fbpa13.5.43 fbpa13.5.44 fbpa13.5.45 fbp13.5.46 fbp13.6.1 fbp13.6.2 fbp13.6.3 fbp13.6.4 fbp13.6.5 fbp13.6.6 fbp13.6.7 fbp13.6.8 fbp13.6.9 fbp13.6.10 fbp13.6.11 fbp13.6.12 fbp13.6.13 fbp13.6.14 fbp13.6.15 fbp13.6.16 fbp13.6.17 fbp13.6.18 fbp13.6.19 fbp13.6.20 fbp13.6.21 fbp13.6.22 fbp13.6.23 fbp13.6.24 fbp13.6.25 fbp13.6.26 fbp13.6.27 fbp13.6.28 fbp13.6.29 fbp13.6.30 fbp13.6.31 fbp13.6.32 fbp13.6.33 fbp13.6.34 fbp13.6.35

Sunday was Race Day! All the kids and I went to Paul & Dayla’s house for their annual Memorial Day party. Last year, it was so hot that we were in the pool most of the day. This year, it was about 30 degrees cooler and the kids only jumped in the pool once or twice after lunch. We watched the Indy 500 down in Paul’s Man-cave. It was an exciting race that nearly saw Matt win $100 but then the caution came out and the host took home the top prize. Paul cooked out on the grill and had so much food! We ate like kings. We played cornhole for a few hours and got a lot of sun (even through it was overcast). Again, the host (with his father-in-law) took home top honors. We went back inside when it started to rain and watched the Coca Cola 600, which had an odd thing happen when a TV cable broke loose and caused the race to stop for close to an hour! We had a pool tourney where Paul & I won. Matt ended up taking the van and going to a friend’s house while Abby, Luke & I stayed the night. Matt picked us up early (only after a couple hours’ sleep) and brought us home where we did our weekly household chores, watched replays of the races and napped on the couches. Even though it was a Monday, it was Memorial Day, which we all had off.

md13.0 md13.1 md13.2 md13.3 md13.4 md13.5 md13.6 md13.7 md13.8 md13.9 md13.10 md13.11 md13.12 md13.13 md13.14 md13.15 md13.16 md13.17 md13.18 md13.19 md13.20 md13.21 md13.22 md13.23 md13.24 md13.25

I went in late to work on Tuesday, as Luke had his awards day at the elementary school. I sat with Gma, Brian and Angie. Luke was recognized for his reading and making the Honor Roll. Abby had a late softball game that seemed to never end… They lost to the top team in the league, like 4-30 of something like that… Abby played 1st base and shortstop where she had one assist and one putout. She went 1-2 with a single and a strikeout. She also scored a run.

lad13.0 lad13.1 lad13.2 lad13.3 lad13.4 lad13.5 lad13.6 lad13.7 lad13.8 lad13.9 lad13.10 lad13.11 lad13.12 lad13.13 lad13.14 lad13.15 lad13.16 asss13.8 asss13.9 asss13.10 asss13.11 asss13.12 asss13.13 asss13.14 asss13.15 asss13.16 asss13.17 asss13.18 asss13.19 asss13.20 asss13.21 asss13.22 asss13.23 asss13.24 asss13.25

We were back at the ball diamonds again on Wednesday night. Abby had pictures and then game. Luke had his tooth pulled earlier in the day at his dentist appointment. It was very warm that evening. Abby and her team rebounded very nicely and had a big game. Abby went 2-3 with a big bases-loaded single, another single, a walk and a strikeout. She scored 2 runs and batted in 3. She played first base where she had 5 putouts and a nice unassisted out to end the game again as they easily won 8-0! Next up was Luke’s ball game. They were facing the best team in the league that had all older kids. They had amazing pitchers that threw faster than anything our kids had ever seen! Phyllis & Dick’s grandson, Luke finally broke up the perfect game late in the 3rd inning. This team had run-ruled every team up until our game. Somehow we held out and played the entire game until time ran out. Still, we had a earned a moral victory though we lost 4-12. I thanked their coach afterwards as well, as he was very classy and did not embarrass our kids when he had the game locked up. He could’ve kept the peddle to the metal, but pulled on the reigns and I let him know I appreciated what he had done…very classy. They obviously still got the victory, but it also allowed our kids to gain a little confidence, which is good for the league and obviously for the kids. Luke went 0-2 with 2 strikeouts. He had a couple putouts as he played first base. Late that night (well, early on Thursday), Ann came home from Florida. She was able to hang out with Charles Kelley from Lady Antebellum at the resort’s bar one night!!

asss13.1 asss13.2 asss13.3 asss13.4 asss13.5 asss13.6 asss13.7 awr13.0 awr13.1 awr13.2 awr13.3 awr13.4 awr13.5 awr13.6 lbt13.1 lbt13.2 lbt13.3 lbt13.4 lbt13.5 lbt13.6

Thursday was the kids’ last day of school. Poor Matt had to wait until his final hour of the day to take his last final. Abby had awards day. Mom & Ann joined me. Abby was recognized for being in Student Council as well as S.T.A.R.S. and for being in the Top 10. In a huge surprise, Abby was named the winner of the Community Action Coalition Role Model for the 2013-14 school year – meaning her picture will appear on posters all around town next year! She will be the poster child for the teenagers being drug, alcohol and tobacco-free. Way to go, Bu! :0) Drew rode home with Luke and spent the night. We had Adamo’s pizza for dinner as Ann was asleep early. Abby finally brought home her yearbook, which had several pictures of her this year…

aad13.1 aad13.2 aad13.3 aad13.4 aad13.5 aad13.6 aad13.7 aad13.8 aad13.9 aad13.10 aad13.11 aad13.12 aad13.13 ay13.1 ay13.2 ay13.3 ay13.4 ay13.5 ay13.6 ay13.7 ay13.8 ay13.9 ay13.10 ay13.11 ay13.12 ay13.13

It rained on and off all day long on Friday. Abby’s softball game was rained out but Luke & I played catch before dinner. It rained overnight and all morning. It stopped eventually and Luke & I mowed at Maryann & Sandy’s house and then back at our house. We kept thinking it was going to rain, as it looked nasty and the forecast was for more rain. However it never did rain again. Luke had Alex over for a while and then they went back to his house where Luke stayed the night. Meanwhile Angie called Ann and invited us out for dinner on the grill and a couple of beverages. We had a great time hanging out around the fire on their back patio and watching the Pacers. They won game 6 to force a decisive game 7! We slept in on Sunday and spent the day mostly on the couches, watching movies, watching racing and taking naps in between doing our weekly household chores. Rob, Sharon & Dad are all over in Jamaica this week for their honeymoon and to cross off an accomplishment from Dad’s bucket list when they go deep-sea fishing! I can’t wait to see pictures from there. Overall, it was a great couple of weeks that rung in the start of summer. Rob & Sharon’s photographer posted about 250 pictures from their wedding this past week. I have about half of them posted below.

ow1 ow2 ow3 ow4 ow5 ow6 ow7 ow8 ow9 ow10 ow11 ow12 ow13.18 ow13 ow14 ow15 ow16 ow17 ow18 ow19 ow20 ow21 ow22 ow23 ow24 ow25 ow26 ow27 ow28 ow29 ow30 ow31 ow32 ow33 ow34 ow35 ow36 ow37 ow38 ow39 ow40 ow41 ow42 ow43 ow44 ow45 ow46 ow47 ow48 ow49 ow50 ow51 ow52 ow53 ow54 ow55 ow56 ow57 ow58 ow59 ow60 ow61 ow62 ow63 ow64 ow65 ow66 ow67 ow68 ow69 ow70 ow71 ow72 ow73 ow74 ow75 ow76 ow77 ow78 ow79 ow80 ow81 ow82 ow83 ow84 ow85 ow86 ow87 ow88 ow89 ow90 ow91 ow92 ow93 ow94 ow95 ow96 ow97 ow98 ow99 ow100 ow101 ow102 ow103 ow104 ow105 ow106 ow107 ow108 ow109 ow110 ow111 ow112 ow113 ow114 ow115 ow116 ow117 ow118 ow119 ow120 ow121 ow122 ow123 ow124 ow125 ow126 ow127 ow128 ow129 ow130 ow131 ow132 ow133 ow134 ow135 ow136 ow137 ow138 ow139

Next up is our video section, which features three new family videos and several from around the internet…

Next up is our Waybac section, which features just a couple of pictures this week. We start off with Grandpaw Brown at Christmas in his Elmwood Ave. house in 1980; then Rob & I on our birthday in our Rockwood St. house in 1981; then Easter at Grandpaw’s house in 1982 (this appears to be one of the first pictures of Mom after her aneurism surgery when her eye was still shut); then it’s a visit to Grandmaw & Grandpaw’s house in July of 1982 with Great Grandpa & Grandma Morgan, Grandmaw Brown, Mom, Rob & I; then it’s several pictures of our summer vacation at the Big Chief Lodge in Monticello (next door to Indiana Beach!) with Vicky, Gary & Mark Crum, Grandmaw & Grandpaw and Mom, Dad, Rob & I in August of ’82; then we have Dad at the Moose Christmas party in ’82; Rob & I’s birthday cake in 1986; Grandpaw’s birthday in July of 1988; Mom & Dad in Treasure Island during Week 19 in 2007; and finally Abby’s birthday party with Bu, Luke, Dad and Grace.

Waybac.1980.12.cd1 Waybac.1981.10.25.bd1 Waybac.1982.04.eil3 Waybac.1982.07.18.vtgagh2 Waybac.1982.08.06.svim3 Waybac.1982.08.06.svim4 Waybac.1982.08.06.svim5 Waybac.1982.08.06.svim6 Waybac.1982.12.mcp1 Waybac.1986.10.28.bdp2 Waybac.1986.10.28.bdp3 Waybac.1988.07.17.gpbblah2 Waybac.2007.05.17.wn13 Waybac.2007.05.18.wn14 Waybac.2007.05.18.wn15 Waybac.2007.09.asbd2

…And that does it for this special double edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss you, Mom.
Later, Scheu

2 comments to Hot Fun in the Summertime…

  • Uncle Robby

    Hey buddy! We made it back… it was for the most part kind of a bust of a trip that I will tell you about later. Granted we did have fun at times but it was not what we all dreamed up. It was however a very interesting country and very pretty to see mountains again and have the blue waters of the Carribean Sea. Just going to keep this short love you

  • Glad you made it home safely, brother. Will try to catch up with you soon.
    Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply