Like an English Rain…So Light, yet Endless

You know since the tornado hit here, the 4th of July just hasn’t been the same here for us. In years gone by, we always had a big party but now that all seems like decades ago. Gone is the backyard oasis – the pool, privacy fence, trees, grill, even the beautiful weather. It was yucky again this year. I tell you, it just isn’t the same anymore. We didn’t even buy any fireworks again this year… The rain has been the story of the week. After having back to back summers with intense droughts, we are making up for lost time this year and this week has been the antithesis of last year when we had a burn ban and they cancelled the city fireworks. And we weren’t the only ones. I spoke with Dad this week who said they too were inundated with precipitation to the point where the park has flooded a few times. Sadly, we lost one of our childhood TV stars – Sammy Terry (actor Bob Carter). He used to scare the crap out of me on Indy’s channel 4 (WTTV) on Nightmare Theater. Other recent deaths include drummer Ed Cassidy of Spirit, drummer Clive Burr of Iron Maiden and guitarist Jeff Hanneman of Slayer. Something is obviously wrong with our West Highland Whitey, Lola; as she is limping around the house on 3 legs (we’ve been calling her ‘Peg’ or ‘Tripod’) and cries when one of us gets too close or one of the kids try to pick her up. In fact, she not only cried but bit Abby when she wouldn’t put her down. I don’t know that Lola has ever bit her before. In fact, I don’t know that she has ever done anything like this…and obviously we can’t have her continue with this behavior either. We will play it day to day to see if she is getting better or if we need to run her to the vet for treatment. …Although you couldn’t tell she was hurt when we were letting off fireworks in the backyard! She was jumping and barking like she always does…the only difference was afterwards she really paid for it. Molly on the other hand, continued to have nothing to do with the explosives. When the first one went off, she was ready to go in and enjoyed the fireworks from inside on the couch. :0) We celebrated the 4th of July holiday and enjoyed a slow week that culminated with Ann & I having a 4-day weekend!!
On Monday, Matt began his moratorium week from football. It was also his final week for summer school. Abby began fast-pitch softball. Her first practice was in the rain. Luke’s all-star practice was cancelled due to the rain. We dropped Bu off and went to the field where Luke was supposed to practice with his team and we did a 1:1 practice during the slated time, despite the rain. He practiced both pitching and hitting. He really wants to try pitching next year. We enjoyed Ann’s dinner of spaghetti that night.
Matt returned to school on Tuesday and Luke had all-star practice. While Luke practiced, Abby & I found a free field and had a 1:1 practice. It was pretty hot – it actually got warmer as the night progressed. We had a good workout. Luke her brother, we practiced both pitching and hitting. Bu, too, would like to pitch next year. My friend Bryan went to the Rush concert in Cincy…and not just attended it, but had an all-access pass! He got to sit in on the sound check, hangout at the soundboard, hang out backstage and talk to the band again (he has known them for years). Wow!! Speaking of new shows, I picked up a great one tonight. One of my favorite new rock bands, The Nocturnals w/ Grace Potter played a big show about a week ago with another one of my faves – The Sensational Space Shifters w/ Robert Plant. Now that would’ve been a great show! And the Reds have made a run again and find themselves only a few games out of first place. Helping spark the Redlegs was pitcher Homer Bailey, who threw a no-hitter this night! We have a ton of new Facebook & Instagram pictures this week, including Scheu cousins and their kids, Bryan, Abby, Allen, Aunt Cindy’s 60th birthday party, Chris & Tricia in Chicago, Down Yonder flood and Paul, Pat & the gang at Wayne & Shannon’s…

foj13.7 fbp13.7.6 fbp13.7.1 fbp13.7.2 fbp13.7.3 fbp13.7.4 fbp13.7.5 fbp13.7.7 fbp13.7.8 fbp13.7.9 fbp13.7.10 fbp13.7.11 fbp13.7.12 fbp13.7.13 fbp13.7.14 fbp13.7.15 fbp13.7.16 fbp13.7.17 fbp13.7.18 fbp13.7.19 fbp13.7.20 fbp13.7.21 fbp13.7.22 fbp13.7.23 fbp13.7.24 fbp13.7.25 fbp13.7.26 fbp13.7.27 fbp13.7.28 fbp13.7.29 fbp13.7.30 fbp13.7.31 fbp13.7.32 fbp13.7.33 fbp13.7.34 fbp13.7.35 fbp13.7.36 fbp13.7.37 fbp13.7.38 fbp13.7.39 fbp13.7.40 fbp13.7.41 fbp13.7.42 fbp13.7.43 fbp13.7.44 fbp13.7.45 fbp13.7.46 fbp13.7.47 fbp13.7.48 fbp13.7.49 fbp13.7.50 fbp13.7.51 fbp13.7.52 fbp13.7.53 fbp13.7.54 fbp13.7.55 fbp13.7.56 fbp13.7.57 fbp13.7.58 fbp13.7.59

Matt wearily made his way back to school and then spent the evening with his buddy, Andy. Meanwhile, I worked a double shift by running security for the big festival out in our area of town, which had Duke Tumatoe & the Power Trio performing, food vendors, kiddy rides and of course culminated with the big musical fireworks display! It was a near perfect day for it being summertime in Indiana. We had a picnic, played ball, laughed with work friends and enjoyed the fireworks. The rain that had earlier threatened during the day (it was really wet early that morning), stayed to the east and outside of a few bug bites, was about the best we could ask for… The big news of the day, however, was that Butler’s coach (Brad Stevens) signed a huge contract with the Celtics. This comes just a year after stating he would be with Butler for the long-haul.
We were up early on Thursday to clean and decorate Luke’s bike for the annual Independence Day parade through the downtown area. Luke & I got his bike ready, threw it in the truck and went to pick up his buddy Drew in the drizzling rain. We got Drew’s bike and headed uptown to drop them off at the proper area for bikes. I dropped the boys off and parked over at Mom & Gigi’s house. Ann and the rest had already headed up to our regular spot, where we’ve set up every year for as far back as I can recall. It was rainy and overcast all day – not at all conducive to a fireworks display. We went back to Mom & Gigi’s house for lunch with Dee & Jamie and Linda & Dave. The highlight of lunch for me, of course, was Gma’s homemade macaroni & cheese. 😉 We came back home and took naps. Luke ended up going out with Drew and his family out to a private fireworks display while Matt & Abby raided what was left of our fireworks from two years ago. We managed to have about a half-hour’s worth of fun. But again, it just wasn’t the same… One of my favorite new rock bands, The Nocturnals w/ Grace Potter played a big show that evening with another one of my faves – The Sensational Space Shifters w/ Robert Plant. Now that would’ve been a great show!

foj13.0 foj13.0a foj13.0b foj13.1 foj13.2 foj13.3 foj13.4 foj13.5 foj13.6 foj13.7 foj13.8 foj13.9 foj13.10 foj13.11 foj13.12 foj13.13 foj13.14 foj13.15 foj13.16 foj13.17 foj13.18 foj13.19 foj13.20 foj13.21 foj13.22 foj13.23 foj13.24 foj13.25 foj13.26 foj13.27 foj13.28 foj13.29 foj13.30 foj13.31 foj13.32

Friday brought more of the same weather – dreary, overcast, and rainy all day long. It was the final day of summer school for Matt. He celebrated afterwards by going golfing in a light drizzle with my old clubs that are actually Grandpa Bryan’s old clubs. Abby went to a birthday party with her friends and was brought home early by her brother. He is very over-protective of her – something I am grateful for, to be sure. We are still trying to figure out exactly what happened.
Saturday was – can you guess…rainy, dreary and overcast all day. Fun! Luke & I decided to go ahead and mow through the weather. The grass was long, it was humid and it rained on and off, but he and I knocked it out at Gma & Gigi’s house as well as back here at the Scheu abode. We were both sweaty and worn out afterwards. We got cleaned up and went to Taco Bell (one of our faves) for lunch. Ann went out with her friend Amy, who had been laid up for a couple weeks following surgery. Matt went out with his buddies until late. Paul & Dayla came over for a brief visit on their way to the movies and picked up their video camera and DVDs I had made for them a couple months ago. It was good to see them. They may be moving to Ohio, as Paul has a chance at a good job over there. I hope he finds something but I also hope it’s not that far away from here…
Would you believe that Sunday morning was overcast again? Although we started our weekly chores under these circumstances, we later saw the sun for the first time in several days and it ended up being a very nice afternoon. The girls went shopping, Matt went to Gma’s house and Luke & I went to North Park for a short all-star practice where all we did was try on our new uniforms. On our way home, we saw the first few trucks starting to arrive for the fair, which will open up next week!! We were so excited, Luke & I had to have one of the new posters that are currently pasted all over town… And finally, Lindsay and Jack have a really cool wedding website set up that is outstanding. I highly recommend checking it out. It is very nicely done and is very classy.

dcf13.0 lbpa13.1 lbpa13.2 lbpa13.3 lbpa13.4 lj1 lj2 lj3 lj4 lj5 lj6 lj7 lj8 lj9 lj10 lj11 lj12 lj13 lj14 lj15 lj17 lj18 lj19 lj20 lj21

Next up is our video section, which includes one new family video and several from around the ‘net this week.

For our Shit that Luke Says section, we have another substitution – this time it’s Bu. Abby invented a new word when she was describing a show we had watched the night before when she exclaimed, “I scrame several times during that Texas Chainsaw movie!” Today, after Ann had made a delicious dinner of fajitas, Luke looked at the clock and stated, “I can’t believe it – this is the first time I’ve ever had an early dinner!” It was 5:20 pm… :0)

Next up is our Waybac section. We have a ton of old photos this week. We start off in the forties with Grandmaw and her Morgan family unit. We follow that up with four pictures from August 1946 with what I believe are wedding pictures of Grandmaw & Grandpaw. Next is Grandpaw Brown in the paper in 1952 with a new emergency car. Then we have a day at the beach for a very young Aunt Karen, circa 1953; Grandpaw’s toxicology degree in ’54 from IU; Mom in about ’54; back to the beach and the party afterwards in July of 1956 with some excellent photos of Mom, Grandpaw, Aunt Marilou, Aunt Lou Atha, Great Grandma Brown and others; Mom in her new summer dress in August of ’57; the vacation cabin in October of ’57 plus one of the best pictures from this era which features Great Grandma & Grandpa Morgan and the three amigos – Mom, Brenda & Karen; next we have Grandpaw in the paper for a school safety program in September of ’58; then Grandmaw & Grandpaw in their Elmwood St home in November of 1958; Mom, Grandpaw & Aunt Midge in February of ’59; summer cabin in July of ’59; Aunt Karen, circa ’68 (?); the Lafayette courthouse in the 60s; Mom in her living room in about ’61; Grandpaw at work in the police station in February of ’62; me, circa 1970; the White House in September of ’80; the Morgan family Christmas in 1980 w/ Norma & Ralph, Keith & Sharon, Grandpaw & Great Grandpa Morgan at Uncle Keith’s house; Kathy (senior pic?) in the 80s; four of our Easter in Lafayette in March of ’82 at Grandmaw & Grandpaw’s house – this must’ve been shortly after Mom’s aneurism as her eye doesn’t appear to have opened back up yet in these photos…and looks like this is when I got my first Rawlings baseball mitt (I still have and use that baby weekly!) and Grandpaw’s basketball duffel bag (I wonder what ever happened to that thing??); then a Brown family reunion fish fry at Marilou & Kenny’s house with Great Grandmaw Brown and (I think) Debbie; Mom & Santa on Rockwood in ’82; Peanuts looking for scraps under the Easter table in April of ’88 – along with a couple of other house shots; Brett & Tammy’s wedding with Uncle Kenny in June, 1988; Mom & Danny on our front porch steps and then Matt & kids opening presents in the living room at Matt’s 7th birthday party in March of ’03; Ann at Luke’s baby shower (??) in 2003; Ann w/ Rosie at Gma’s & Gigi’s house in ’03-ish; Mom, Dad and the kids in December of 2004 at their 2nd house in Rossville; Bu & Daddy in 2006 on Christmas Day in our living room; Dad & Sue’s brother at the Pebble in May of ’07; Dad & Rob with Rob & Sharon’s dogs in the TN mountains in August of 2007; and finally Matt & Gigi in September of 2007 for Bu’s eighth birthday party at our house in Greensburg.

Waybac.1940s.mfp1 Waybac.1940s.mfp2 Waybac.1946.08.31.gmgpbm1 Waybac.1946.08.31.gmgpbm2 Waybac.1946.08.31.gmgpbm3 Waybac.1946.08.31.gmgpbm4 Waybac.1952.gin6 Waybac.1952.gin7 Waybac.1952.gin8 Waybac.1953.kob1 Waybac.1953.kob2 Waybac.1953.kob3 Waybac.1953.kob4 Waybac.1954.gciu Waybac.1954.mwg1 Waybac.1956.07.sv1 Waybac.1956.07.sv2 Waybac.1956.07.sv3 Waybac.1956.07.sv4 Waybac.1956.07.sv5 Waybac.1956.07.sv6 Waybac.1957.08.mid1 Waybac.1957.08.mid2 Waybac.1957.10.sm4 Waybac.1957.10.sv1 Waybac.1957.10.sv2 Waybac.1957.10.sv3 Waybac.1957.10.sv5 Waybac.1958.09.12.gin1 Waybac.1958.09.12.gin3 Waybac.1958.9.12.gin2 Waybac.1958.11.gmgp1 Waybac.1958.11.gmgp2 Waybac.1959.02.gw1 Waybac.1959.02.gw2 Waybac.1959.02.gw3 Waybac.1959.02.gw4 Waybac.1959.02.gw5 Waybac.1959.07.gvh1 Waybac.1959.07.gvh2 Waybac.1959.07.gvh3 Waybac.1960s.ksp1 Waybac.1960s.lch1 Waybac.1961.milr1 Waybac.1962.02.gin1 Waybac.1962.02.gin2 Waybac.1962.02.gin3 Waybac.1962.02.gin4 Waybac.1970.tmscp1 Waybac.1980.09.19.whv1 Waybac.1980.12.21.mfrakh Waybac.1980s.ktsp Waybac.1982.03.28.eil1 Waybac.1982.03.28.eil2 Waybac.1982.03.28.eil3 Waybac.1982.03.28.eil4 Waybac.1982.07.17.bfr1 Waybac.1982.07.17.bfr2 Waybac.1982.12.cilp5 Waybac.1988.04.03.eilp1 Waybac.1988.04.03.eilp2 Waybac.1988.04.03.eilp3 Waybac.1988.06.18.tabw7 Waybac.2003.03.25.msbdp9 Waybac.2003.03.25.msbdp10 Waybac.2003.albs1 Waybac.2003.armh1 Waybac.2004.12.cir13 Waybac.2004.12.cir14 Waybac.2004.12.cir15 Waybac.2006.12.25.cdig9 Waybac.2007.05.18.wn30 Waybac.2007.08.31.madttr1 Waybac.2007.09.02.madttr2 Waybac.2007.09.15.abdp15

And that puts the kibosh on this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks as always for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply