Knock me Down, it’s all in Vain…I get Right Back up on my Feet Again

Obviously the big news of the week for us was Matt having his 2nd major surgery of the year – this time on his left knee. Luke was in full swing with basketball and had his first doubleheader of the year. Abby got to go to the Colts home stadium to do volunteer work and the girl drama seemed to finally settle down at the junior high school. The weather was all over the place this week and sadly, the Simpson’s world lost another character this past week. Marcia Wallace who does the voice of Edna Krabappel (Bart’s frisky school teacher) passed away. Matt Groening and the writers on the show have decided to retire the character rather than to have her voiced by someone else.
On Monday, I had my labs drawn in preparation for my first physical in a couple years. Matt drove over to Columbus for an appointment with his surgeon to ensure his knee was ready for surgery and thankfully his swelling was down and he had gotten back enough range of motion. He came back and went to wrestling practice. Luke had basketball practice followed by a parents’ meeting. We have joined a new league and nearly doubled the size of our team. I’m not sure what that means as far as playing time goes for Luke, but he may be the tallest kid on the team so maybe he will at least have a role to play on the team. Abby and Ann went to jazz practice and picked out uniforms, which was apparently loads of fun! We have a ton of new social media pictures to share this week; including Ann and Angie with the girls at Angie’s 40th party last weekend; Ryan & Carly in their neat engagement pix; Kimmy and the boys trick or treating; the big Jupiter balloon in 1859 – maybe the biggest thing to ever happen in Lafayette; Bryan and his band Skeeter McGee; Chris & Trish’s youngest and new puppy; Abby with 80s rocker hair; a lovely morning in Greensburg a couple days ago; Bu and her friends; cover of the new Beatles album, which is coming out soon; the new Hot Wheels SEMA toy show car; Nat & Mike’s son, Brayton, and his Mt Vernon team made it to the sectional finals this Friday but lost; Matt and Abby at the doctors this past Friday; Matt’s “zipper” that Luke wants him to undo (!); Mackey Arena where the Boilers barely won their opening game vs. Northern KY – this was Aunt Judy’s view as she had a chance to attend the game this Friday; the one and only Marcia Wallace and her alter ego, Edna Krabappel; and finally one of my all-time faves- Tony D.

lbmj13.7 fbp13.11.74 fbp13.11.75 fbp13.11.76 fbp13.11.77 fbp13.11.78 fbp13.11.79 fbp13.11.80 fbp13.11.80a fbp13.11.81 fbp13.11.82 fbp13.11.83 fbp13.11.84 fbp13.11.85 fbp13.11.86 fbp13.11.87 fbp13.11.88 fbp13.11.89 fbp13.11.90 fbp13.11.91 fbp13.11.92 fbp13.11.93 fbp13.11.94 fbp13.11.95 fbp13.11.96 fbp13.11.97 fbp13.11.98 fbp13.11.99 fbp13.11.100 fbp13.11.101 fbp13.11.102 fbp13.11.103 fbp13.11.105 fbp13.11.106 fbp13.11.107

Tuesday was Matt’s big day. After running Abby in early for Student Council and then Lukey to elementary, we headed over to Columbus with Matt for his arthroscopic knee surgery with Dr. Guse. Memaw & Gigi joined us for the venture. Matt was a cool customer the whole time and the girls took very good care of him as they always do… We had to move about halfway through the procedure because the waiting room had been taken over by folks you only see at the county fair, the demolition derby or on that great website – The People of Wal-Mart!! After our move, Gigi and I enjoyed watching Red 2 with Bruce Willis and an all-star cast. Dr. Guse met with Ann & I and said that Matt’s MCL had already begun repairing itself, so he only tightened it up. However, his ACL was completely shredded and needed a graft. I believe it came from his patella maybe…anyhow, it is only the framework – his body will actually regenerate and grow a new ACL – how cool is that? He also made a few repairs to his meniscus, but it wasn’t as bad as the MRI originally led him to believe. He said it felt just short of the perfect surgery, so we felt very good overall. Now that the easy part is over, it’s time again for the hard part…the part that Matt knows all too well – rehab. He will have a day or so to rest and then he will start physical therapy. There is a book he has to follow. When he completes the book – he can have full contact again. Meanwhile Abby went with her fellow Student Council members up to Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy to pack food bags for the food banks to distribute to the needy this holiday season. We are very proud of her efforts and believe the charity work is an important part of building good moral fortitude.

mks13.1 mks13.2 mks13.3 mks13.4 mks13.5 mks13.6 mks13.7 mks13.8 mks13.9 mks13.10 mks13.11 mks13.12 mks13.13 fbp13.11.104 afb13.1 afb13.2 afb13.3 afb13.4 afb13.5 afb13.6 afb13.7 afb13.8

Ann stayed home with Matt to aid in his recovery on Wednesday. After I dropped the kids off at school and headed to work, it started to rain. It would continue raining the entire day and well into the night. Of course that’s not saying much these days. Now that we’ve changed our clocks again, it is dark regularly by 6 pm. Ann was working when I got home so after I got off the treadmill we got Koch’s. It has been our favorite carry-out place – a little greasy spoon. However, it appears they’ve gone through a change in ownership. It looks completely different inside. The food was a little different as well. I’m not sure we’ll be going back as often as before. And sadly; one of my childhood football heroes, Tony Dorsett, announced today that he had CTE (a degenerative condition that scientists have linked to depression and dementia), which has no known cure.
Matt had a doctor appointment on Thursday, followed by a physical therapy session. He was pretty sore afterwards. We had a baby shower for my old work friend, Stephanie. She is expecting a little girl who will be named Jillian Claire. Best wishes on the delivery, Stephie! Luke was supposed to have basketball practice, but it was cancelled due to the 4th grade Family Fun Night at the elementary school. He sang Veterans Day songs and then we had a snack. Abby got her caramel apple all over my sweatshirt – thanks a lot, Bu! Next we headed down to Mr. Scudder’s classroom where Luke and others were putting on a Wax Museum presentation where the kids had to give presentations of old scientists. Luke was a famous botanist, Carolus Linnaeus. He was awfully cute, but looked more like Mozart! 😉 We checked out a couple of the other kids like his buddies Grayson, Alex and others. We found more bebouts in the classroom! OMG!! We got home and the girls headed to tap practice where they picked out uniforms for their routine to the Pat Benatar classic, “Heartbreaker.”

sbs13.1 sbs13.2 sbs13.3 lffn13.1 lffn13.2 lffn13.3 lffn13.4 lffn13.5 lffn13.6 lffn13.7 lffn13.8 lffn13.9 lffn13.10 lffn13.11 lffn13.12 lffn13.13 lffn13.14 lffn13.15 lffn13.16 lffn13.17 lffn13.18 lffn13.19 lffn13.20 lffn13.21 lffn13.22 lffn13.23 lffn13.24 lffn13.25 lffn13.26 lffn13.27 lffn13.28

Only Luke & I were up early on Friday. Ann and the older kids came over to Columbus a little later in the morning. Abby had a follow-up doctor appointment for her stomach and head as well as received her flu shot and a breathing test. Matt also got his flu shot and had a follow-up visit to get his dressing changed. He’s got one hell of an incision and will have a great scar and story to tell my grandkids! We grabbed lunch at Johnny Carino’s. Abby went to a play at the junior high and then on to the twins’ house for a slumber party. Ann went scrapbooking all night at Mrs. B’s with Shawna. Luke & I made a run for the border for Matt…so the boys chilled all night, catching up on our DVR’ed shows.
We slept in on Saturday. We discovered we had been TP’ed overnight. Abby returned about mid-morning with only a handful of hours of rest. We did our weekly chores around the house and tended to Matt. He is propped up on the couch and is getting up and down pretty good. He is starting to regain some range of motion and is pushing himself and is committed to returning to action as soon as possible. Luke & Bu got the neighborhood cleaned up from the TP. Luke & Abby also helped me to mow at home and at Mom & Sandy’s house, do all the dishes, get the oil changed in the van, shop at Wal-Mart and get take out from Wendy’s (thanks kiddos!). Luke had basketball practice at the junior high and Ann went with Amy up to Indy for some Christmas hobby / nick-nack show. And of course, the Boilers lost again.
Sunday was Luke’s big day. We slept in and then watched the new American Masters (PBS) from this week, which was on Jimi Hendrix, entitled “Hear My Train a-Comin.” It was a nice, relaxing morning with bright sunshine. The temps got up in to the 50s and Luke & I played football out in the front yard. It was Luke’s first “game day” in a few weeks – and it was a doubleheader. Thankfully we were at home for our opener. Grandma & Gigi came to watch him play for maybe the first time (?). Thanks to Gigi for getting some really good pictures for us! First up, we played Morristown. We came out on fire and never looked back, scoring the first 10 points of the game and beating them by nearly 30, 43-14! Luke was 0-2 from the field with a wild one from way behind the arch and a short one, under the basket. He did have an assist to go along with 5 rebounds, a steal and a blocked shot while knocking out 2 players…unfortunately only one of them was their player! He had good hustle but obviously looked a little rusty. We had a break and then faced a very good Jac-Cen-Del team. Luke did not play much, never got in to the swing of the game and did not have any stats. It was a pretty close game until the final minutes where we began to build our lead and won 23-11. So the boys open the season with a 2-0 record! We came back home and watched the Colts lose, Peyton’s Ponies win and the Cowboys take on the Saints in a game that ultimately saw Dallas get their butts kicked after they lost a couple key defensive players and the defensive coordinator they fired last year held them to only one TD. Meanwhile, NASCAR was in Phoenix for the penultimate race of the year. Unfortunately, Gordon finished outside the top 10 again and is now out of the race for the chase. I did some maintenance on the blog site late in to the night and am in the middle of upgrading some things. So if I screw it up, this may be the last entry for awhile! :0)

lbmj13.1 lbmj13.2 lbmj13.3 lbmj13.4 lbmj13.5 lbmj13.6 lbmj13.7 lbmj13.8 lbmj13.9 lbmj13.10 lbmj13.11 lbmj13.12 lbmj13.13 lbmj13.14 lbmj13.15 lbmj13.16 lbmj13.17 lbmj13.18 lbmj13.19 lbmj13.20 lbmj13.21 lbmj13.22 lbmj13.23 lbmj13.24 lbmj13.25 lbmj13.26 lbmj13.27 lbmj13.28 lbmj13.29 lbmj13.30 lbmj13.31 lbmj13.32 lbmj13.33 lbmj13.34 lbmj13.35 lbmj13.36 lbmj13.37 lbmj13.38 lbmj13.39 lbmj13.40 lbmj13.41 lbmj13.42 lbmj13.43 lbmj13.44 lbmj13.45 lbmj13.46 lbmj13.47 lbmj13.48 lbmj13.49 lbmj13.50 lbmj13.51 lbmj13.52 lbmj13.53 lbmj13.54 lbmj13.55 lbmj13.56 lbmj13.57 lbmj13.58 lbmj13.59 lbmj13.60 lbmj13.61 lbmj13.62

Next up is our video section, which includes two home videos and several from around the internet.

As for our Shit that Luke Says segment, we have this: The day after Matt had knee surgery, he had to start with basic stretches and flexes of muscles. When Matt got up to do his exercises, Ann asked Luke to get off the Xbox and let Matt use that area of the playroom. When Luke asked what Matt was doing, he replied as he hobbled on his crutches, “Getting on the treadmill.” Luke asked in an exasperating, mystified, believing voice, “Reeeeally??”

Finally, our favorite part of the blog – the Waybac segment… Leading off, we have Grandmaw & Grandpaw Brown with Aunt Norma & Uncle Ralph back in the mid-40s…approximately 1945; then Grandpaw with colleagues at what I believe is Purdue for a “intoxicology” training in the ‘50s; next we have something very rare – the actual police blotter of my Great-grandpa’s death – when Great-grandma called in the middle of the night in October of 1953; then we have a few more newspaper clippings of Grandpaw – all from 1955; then we have some beach time with Grandmaw & Grandpaw, Aunt Marilou, Mom and the Atha’s in July of ’56; then Great-grandma Brown w/ Aunt Marilou & Uncle Kenny in August of ’56; the Mom and her family with Aunt Midge and her family at the summer cottage in August of ’58; then an old one of yours truly in ’69; Dad O in Haiti in ’75; Robby in our Kenwood St home in LaPorte at Christmas in 1980; Grandmaw, Lou and friends in Florida in September of ’82; my 7th grade picture in the fall of ’82; Rob on Santa’s lap on Christmas Eve in our Rockwood St. home in LaPorte in 1982; another lovely school picture – this time in the fall of ’86 when I was 17 years old – what a great summer that was leading up to this picture…then our Christmas tree in LP in ’87; Matt & Rob playing the “new” PlayStation on Christmas Day in approximately 2002; Matt & Abby on Christmas Day of 2003; Mom B with newborn Lukey Duke in 2003; Ann on Christmas day in 2006; and finally Mom again – this time with Ms. Sharon in Downtown Disney in August of 2007.

Waybac.1945.nar1 Waybac.1945.nar2 Waybac.1945.nar3 Waybac.1945.nar4 Waybac.1945.nar5 Waybac.1950s.pis1 Waybac.1950s.pis2 Waybac.1953.10.19.ggbdpb1 Waybac.1955.03.17.gin1 Waybac.1955.12.08.gin1 Waybac.1955.gin5 Waybac.1956.07.bd1 Waybac.1956.07.bd2 Waybac.1956.07.bd3 Waybac.1956.08.bfp1 Waybac.1958.08.sc1 Waybac.1958.08.sc2 Waybac.1958.08.sc3 Waybac.1958.08.sc4 Waybac.1958.08.sc5 Waybac.1958.08.sc6 Waybac.1969.tmsomp2 Waybac.1975.dih3 Waybac.1980.12.cok1 Waybac.1980.12.cok2 Waybac.1982.09.28.cblacb1 Waybac.1982.09.ts13yrs Waybac.1982.12.24.ceor1 Waybac.1982.12.24.ceor2 Waybac.1986.09.ts17yrs Waybac.1987.12.25.cilp1 Waybac.2002.12.25.marcd1 Waybac.2003.12.25.amcd1 Waybac.2003.lwgmb1 Waybac.2006.12.25.cdig46 Waybac.2007.08.31.dtd1 Waybac.2007.08.31.dtd2

And that does it for this week’s edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks as always for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Mom…
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply