But I call you Stormy Today

Severe weather permeated our week here at the Scheu abode. Between the storms, flash floods, the flooding, the extreme heat and the high humidity levels – it was not much fun to be outside. Matt and I got to work out in the heat. Ann’s business nearly came to a standstill. Abby braved the conditions to attend the county fair with her friends. Luke had issues with the conditions while playing his final baseball game of the year. And we were saddened to hear that Sharon’s brother, Dave, passed away while battling cancer. She and Robby will be in Lafayette soon for a memorial for him.
The week got kicked off with severe weather all day on Monday. In fact, during the day the kids and dogs went to Memaw’s house during the first line of bad storms while Ann & I rode it out in Columbus at work. Luke & I went to Hibbett’s that evening to get a nice tee to help him with his baseball swing. So while he worked out on the tee, I mowed the front yard. I was sopping wet afterwards due to the humidity. After a quick shower, I took him and Bu out to the fair for one-ticket-ride night. It’s funny; the idea is enticing, isn’t it? Normally a ride is about $4 (3 x $1.25 tickets). On this night, the tickets were $1.50 and the rides were about 1/3 to ½ the length as it is on any other day. We got Luke signed up for football, officially – though we still made the caveat that if there wasn’t enough for a team, he would either be applying for a waiver to play on the 7th grade practice squad or go out for soccer, which he has really been talking a lot about lately. We had to call it an early night as the 2nd round of nastiness closed in on us…but not before we got our share of rides and our annual fair dinner – food we really shouldn’t have (especially me)…but I figured it’s once a year, right? So we enjoyed a pork burger and tenderloin from Smyrna church, a fish sandwich from Lett’s VFD and of course a box of fresh glazed donuts at the Shrine booth. We brought them home and they were gone within 20 minutes! I had to watch the highlights from Cincinnati where the All-Star festivities were in full swing, pardon the pun. Hometown hero, Todd Frasier, won the Home Run Derby competition that night in dramatic fashion. I think Jamie & Dee might have been in attendance!

lbcpa15.77 dcf15.13 dcf15.14 dcf15.15 dcf15.16 dcf15.17 dcf15.18 dcf15.19 dcf15.20 dcf15.21 dcf15.22 dcf15.23 dcf15.24 dcf15.25 dcf15.26 dcf15.27 dcf15.28 dcf15.29 dcf15.30 dcf15.31 dcf15.32 dcf15.33 dcf15.34 dcf15.35 dcf15.36 dcf15.37 dcf15.38 dcf15.39 dcf15.40 dcf15.41 dcf15.42

Tuesday brought heavy storms overnight again, causing a lot of damage in Columbus – we were hammered with 3” of rain and 80-90 MPH winds. Ann’s work had a 30’ tree in the middle of their driveway. We had a smaller one toppled in the front yard along with 3 truck loads of branches around the property. We also had issues indoors with leaks in 3 areas of our brand new roof, ruining a smoke detector, security camera and computer. We had some other issues as well and worked our tails off all day and got most of it all done before the close of business. Abby went to Pirateers practice. Luke went with Drew & Bryan to the fair. Abby & Megan followed later and Megan stayed the night. It was the big All-Star night in Cincy! It was a great evening to be a Reds fan such as myself. Pete Rose was a part of the celebration along with other Redlegs greats like Bench, Morgan & Larkin. They even had Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Sandy Koufax there for pregame ceremonies. Unfortunately the AL won 6-3 with the Angel’s Mike Trout taking home the MVP award again. The highlight for me was Chapman (The Cuban Missile) striking out the side in his only inning of work.
I had the day off on Wednesday and got to sleep in a little. Luke & I ran errands and had lunch at Subway. We worked on his swing again – this time a new drill, recommended by his coaches, with tennis balls in our chain link fence. Later he had a game vs. the U12 All-Star team where they won, 5-2. Luke played first base, pitcher and third base. He went 1-3 at the dish with a groundout, pop-up and a rocket-shot through the 2nd baseman in to right field. He stole two bases and was on the mount for an inning where he had a pair of K’s and no runs. Meanwhile it was Soup Night at the house – Abby had Megan, Brittany and Brooke over for Ann’s delicious chicken corn chowder. Afterwards they all went out to the fair and got home late.

csd15.1 csd15.2 csd15.3 csd15.4 csd15.5 csd15.6 csd15.7 csd15.8 csd15.9 dcfp15.1 dcfp15.2 dcfp15.3 dcfp15.4 dcfp15.5 dcfp15.6 dcfp15.7 dcfp15.8 dcfp15.9 dcfp15.10 dcfp15.11 dcfp15.12 dcfp15.13 dcfp15.14 dcfp15.15 dcfp15.16 dcfp15.17 dcfp15.18 dcfp15.19 dcfp15.20 dcfp15.21 dcfp15.22 dcfp15.23 lbga15.1 lbga15.2 lbga15.3 lbga15.4 lbga15.5 lbga15.6 lbga15.7 lbga15.8 lbga15.9

I was off again on Thursday due to our low census at work, giving the guys in my department my hours. Besides, I am close to maxing-out my PTO bank, so I needed to take some time away. That didn’t stop me from working from home for a few hours again, as I did yesterday. Ann worked at the Greensburg office due to the internet still being down at the Columbus office due to the big storms that blew through. That allowed us to do lunch at Wings & Rings. Abby slept past noon. Matt worked all day and then played basketball for a couple hours with his buddies. Luke & I mowed and trimmed the backyard and then he had Alex over to play and spend the night. Bu worked for Gigi/WTRE at the fairgrounds as the Disco Duck and was the Grand Marshal of the Midway parade on the final night of the county fair. When Megan & Abby went out to the fair awhile, Ann & Matt got DQ for the rest of us.
Friday was another day off for me, making it a five-day weekend! It was an extremely hot & humid day with the heat index well above 100°. Megan and Alex went home. Abby had a Student Council meeting at the high school then we ran errands before she headed out to a Pirateers party out in the county. We had several rounds of severe t-storms again, which put a damper on their plans. It also ruined Ann’s plans to have Shawna over for some long-overdue porch time. We briefly lost power but the new housing edition behind us was down for several hours that night. As I write this on Sunday, there are still many folks out in the county without power. It dumped a couple more inches of rain on us in only a few hours’ time. As we went to bed that night, we weren’t sure what effect it would have on ball games in Columbus this weekend. I talked to Rob for quite a while that night and am so proud of him landing a new job. We wish him well in his new role! We heard the sad news that Phil Chapple – who was the high school principle for several years (and the only one that Matt & Abby have known) – passed away. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week: Abby with her spirit animal and performing down Park Rd.; Gracie; Barn & Steph; Chris & the boys; David’s daughter; All-Star game pix; the CEO of Nintendo died suddenly this week; Ally & daughter; the Cowboys signed Dez Bryant finally; Grace announced she will bring her new band our way around my birthday (hint!); the UFC had some fantastic fights recently – including Connor McGregor becoming a champ; the JJ crew w/ Bryan & Angie; Missy, Mindy, Kathy & Homey; even more All-Star moments in Cincy; a cool Rush-inspired menu; and a recent ad in a Lafayette periodical that features Camille – Aunt Karen’s granddaughter / my cousin Emily’s daughter!

laab15.1 pcd15.1 sts15.1 sts15.2 smp15.07.90 smp15.07.91 smp15.07.92 smp15.07.93 smp15.07.94 smp15.07.95 smp15.07.96 smp15.07.97 smp15.07.98 smp15.07.99 smp15.07.100 smp15.07.101 smp15.07.102 smp15.07.103 smp15.07.104 smp15.07.105 smp15.07.106 smp15.07.107 smp15.07.108 smp15.07.109 smp15.07.110 smp15.07.111 smp15.07.112 smp15.07.113 smp15.07.114 smp15.07.115 smp15.07.116 smp15.07.117 smp15.07.118 smp15.07.119 smp15.07.120 smp15.07.121 smp15.07.122 smp15.07.123 smp15.07.124 smp15.07.125 smp15.07.126 smp15.07.127

Saturday was brutally hot & humid. As expected, all that rain last night caused delays to our games. What a weird summer it has been – how many of our games have been delayed or canceled due to the rain this year?? So we enjoyed lounging around the house in the A/C that morning but eventually loaded up the car and headed over to Columbus to play in our final baseball tourney of the year at CERAland Park. First up, we faced the Columbus Strike. I think we may have played them before. We had a rough start but settled in nicely and hung with them the rest of the game. Unfortunately we missed out on too many opportunities and lost a close one, 3-5. Luke had some issues with the 100° + heat index in the first game, having to sit for a half-inning during the 2nd inning while playing 1st base. He said that everything started turning white. So we got him his cooling towel and replenished his drink and sat him in the shade. By the time the next inning rolled around, he was back at his position on the field, but gave us a bit of a scare. He had several nice plays on defense, including an unassisted double play! At the plate, he was much improved going 2-2 with 4 stolen bases and a run scored. After a short rest, we played the Columbus Force (his buddy, Grayson’s team). Defensively, we had a really good game until the final inning, when we made several errors. We actually had the lead going in to the final inning but couldn’t hold them and ended up losing 4-7. Luke was still not himself, not having his normal energy level and playfulness. He was 1-2 with a sacrifice, a stolen base and an RBI on offense. Defensively he played 1st base, pitcher, center field and 3rd base. On the mound, he went 1 2/3 innings, giving up 4 runs, none of which were earned. He struck out 4 and walked 2. He went 3 up / 3 down in the 5th inning and got two quick outs in the 6th. Then his defense gave up four errors and he walked a pair, including walking in the eventual winning run. Even though we had last at-bats and had our 2/3/4 hitters up, we went down in order, including a check-swing strikeout by Lukey to end the game. We couldn’t wait to get home and get out of the heat. After dinner and a shower (not necessarily in that order), Luke went over to Drew’s house to spend the night. Of course, it wouldn’t be the same if we didn’t have yet another round of severe weather as a band of thunderstorms rolled through town that evening. Thankfully, it moved through quickly. Abby went to the movies with Megan. Matt went out to his buddy’s house. And we did our weekly household chores while being thankful for the man who invented air conditioning. We were very sad that we missed out on a Scheu Family wedding up at the Omni in downtown Indy today. We would like to congratulate Seth & his lovely bride, Hannah. We so wanted to share in their special day today and see all the rest of our family. Seems we only see our extended family now at weddings, deaths and Christmas. I hope to have pictures next week.
We got to sleep in a little on Sunday before we got up and headed back to CERAland in Columbus for Luke’s final U11 baseball tourney. It was again a sweltering armpit outdoors. Thankfully the heat index was down because the sun was behind the clouds. We faced the Columbus Strike again for our 3rd game of the tourney. We just couldn’t quite put them away. We left 8 runners on base through the first four innings and ran out of gas. We had the lead with two outs in the final inning again today but couldn’t stop from shooting ourselves in the foot with 3 straight errors that allowed 2 runs to score and we lost 1-2 to end our season on a tough note. Luke was 0-1 at the plate but on base twice with a pair of walks. He batted 4th all weekend. He played 1st base all game and made a couple of nice plays as well as all the routine ones. The pitching was outstanding today and the defense did great until that final inning. It again was our batting that kept us out of the win column today. If we had won that game, we would’ve advanced to the championship game. As it was, we thanked the coaches and all went our separate ways. We took Luke to Qdoba for lunch while it poured down rain (what else would you expect?). We reflected on his season and felt he met his goals. We came home, showered and napped while watching the NASCAR race. Is there anything better to nap to? Abby went out on a dinner date with Noah. And we started planning for our next sport – football, which begins tomorrow. One thing leads to another I guess…so hold on, ‘cause here we go again!

lbcpa15.1 lbcpa15.2 lbcpa15.3 lbcpa15.4 lbcpa15.5 lbcpa15.6 lbcpa15.7 lbcpa15.8 lbcpa15.9 lbcpa15.10 lbcpa15.11 lbcpa15.12 lbcpa15.13 lbcpa15.14 lbcpa15.15 lbcpa15.16 lbcpa15.17 lbcpa15.18 lbcpa15.19 lbcpa15.20 lbcpa15.21 lbcpa15.22 lbcpa15.23 lbcpa15.24 lbcpa15.25 lbcpa15.26 lbcpa15.27 lbcpa15.28 lbcpa15.29 lbcpa15.30 lbcpa15.31 lbcpa15.32 lbcpa15.33 lbcpa15.34 lbcpa15.35 lbcpa15.36 lbcpa15.37 lbcpa15.38 lbcpa15.39 lbcpa15.40 lbcpa15.41 lbcpa15.42 lbcpa15.43 lbcpa15.44 lbcpa15.45 lbcpa15.46 lbcpa15.47 lbcpa15.48 lbcpa15.49 lbcpa15.50 lbcpa15.51 lbcpa15.52 lbcpa15.53 lbcpa15.54 lbcpa15.55 lbcpa15.56 lbcpa15.57 lbcpa15.58 lbcpa15.59 lbcpa15.60 lbcpa15.61 lbcpa15.62 lbcpa15.63 lbcpa15.64 lbcpa15.65 lbcpa15.66 lbcpa15.67 lbcpa15.68 lbcpa15.69 lbcpa15.70 lbcpa15.71 lbcpa15.72 lbcpa15.73 lbcpa15.74 lbcpa15.75 lbcpa15.76 lbcpa15.77 lbcpa15.78 lbcpa15.79 lbcpa15.80 lbcpa15.81 lbcpa15.82 lbcpa15.83 lbcpa15.84 lbcpa15.85 lbcpa15.86 lbcpa15.87 lbcpa15.88 lbcpa15.89 lbcpa15.90 lbcpa15.91 lbcpa15.92 lbcpa15.93 lbcpa15.94 lbcpa15.95 lbcpa15.96 lbcpa15.97 lbcpa15.98 lbcpa15.99 lbcpa15.100 lbcpa15.101 lbcpa15.102 lbcpa15.103 lbcpa15.104 lbcpa15.105 lbcpa15.106 lbcpa15.107 lbcpa15.108 lbcpa15.109 lbcpa15.110 lbcpa15.111 lbcpa15.112 lbcpa15.113 lbcpa15.114 lbcpa15.115 lbcpa15.116 lbcpa15.117 lbcpa15.118 lbcpa15.119 lbcpa15.120 lbcpa15.121 lbcpa15.122 lbcpa15.123 lbcpa15.124 lbcpa15.125 lbcpa15.126

Next up is our Waybac section, which continues to feature photos from our picture albums Ann created of our young family when we were just starting out. It features a few with Mom. We begin with Matt’s birth in Columbus in Mach of ’96, including a great one with Papaw Bryan; then a Brown family fish fry at Kenny & Marilou’s house in Rossville in August ’96, including one of my faves of Matt & I crashed out afterwards, down in Mom & Dad’s basement in the Dream House; then Matt’s first birthday in Columbus with the whole gang in March ’97; then we have Matt at Halloween in October ’97 at our 1st G’burg house; then Matt’s second birthday party on Main St. in March ’98 with all the grandparents; and finally out at the Decatur County fair in the livestock barn and the Merry-go-Round in July ’98. If I remember correctly, it was during this photo session that the paper took one of Matt and a pigmy goat and it ended up in the newspaper!

Waybac.1996.03.21.mb11 Waybac.1996.03.21.mb12 Waybac.1996.03.21.mb13 Waybac.1996.03.21.mb14 Waybac.1996.08.bff1 Waybac.1996.08.bff2 Waybac.1996.08.bff3 Waybac.1996.08.bff4 Waybac.1996.08.bff5 Waybac.1997.03.m1b1 Waybac.1997.03.m1b2 Waybac.1997.03.m1b3 Waybac.1997.03.m1b4 Waybac.1997.10.m2h1 Waybac.1997.10.m2h2 Waybac.1997.10.m2h3 Waybac.1997.10.m2h4 Waybac.1998.03.m2b1 Waybac.1998.03.m2b2 Waybac.1998.03.m2b3 Waybac.1998.03.m2b4 Waybac.1998.03.m2b5 Waybac.1998.03.m2b6 Waybac.1998.07.mcf11 Waybac.1998.07.mcf12 Waybac.1998.07.mcf13 Waybac.1998.07.mcf14 Waybac.1998.07.mcf15

Next up is our video section which features three new family movies and several other videos from around the internet this week.

Well that does it for this week’s entry in to the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks as always for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply