It’s Late August and I really should be Back at School

The sound is deafening as we drive through the countryside on our way to and from work as the cicadas, locusts, crickets all compete to be heard. The temps were generally cooler and we even had the house opened up for a few days. As we neared the end of the week though the temps began rebounding and I expect we will have one last hurrah before Labor Day gets here. Football continues to ramp up around here and our lives seem to revolve around the sport. As Ann and I sit on the couch and I write this, our house seems very empty and quiet as Matt has gone back to school, Abby is out doing her thing and Luke is at practice. Even the driveway has too much space without Bebe out front. We started making plans to have Dad & Lynn visit in a month or so. Many of our favorite TV shows are either wrapping up with their season finales or making plans for their season debuts. In general it is that time of year for change. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog. It was a busy week again so let’s get to it.
Monday was cooler and we even ran the heater in the car to remove the chill as we took the kids to work. Abby had Pirateers practice after school and then she and Ann went on to jazz class at Dixon Dance Studio. Luke and I had football practice where we actually had all twelve of our players. The effort, though, wasn’t quite there and we warned the boys that we needed to work harder if we wanted to get better. It is a little frustrating as a handful of boys want to really learn and get better but the majority of the team just isn’t that focused on that goal. Bryan and I spoke and I have decided I am changing my goals for the team. In lieu of pushing to try and win, my personal goal for the boys is just to keep them interested in the game enough to want to play again next year. This town just doesn’t support football like Bryan and I enjoyed in our youth, which is a shame. Meanwhile Matt took the day off and he had his buddies over to hang out one last time before he leaves. The air was turned off in the house that night for the first time this summer and it was so refreshing to air out the old girl. Sandy let me borrow her card from her camera. She got some really good photos at last week’s varsity football game. Thanks Gigi!! And we also have a few more pictures from last weekend’s On Eagle’s Wings 5K and the St. Mary’s Festival where Bryan and Skeeter McGhee performed and later we all sat around Bryan & Angie’s back porch until the wee hours of the morning.

mmd15.1 gcap15.1 gcap15.2 gcap15.3 gcap15.4 gcap15.5 gcap15.6 gcap15.7 gcap15.8 gcap15.9 gcap15.10 gcap15.11 gcap15.12 gcap15.13 gcap15.14 gcap15.15 gcap15.16 gcap15.17 gcap15.18 gcap15.19 gcap15.20 gcap15.21 oew15.12 oew15.13 oew15.14 oew15.15 oew15.16 oew15.17 oew15.18 oew15.19 oew15.20 oew15.21 oew15.22 oew15.23 oew15.24 oew15.25 oew15.26 oew15.27 oew15.28 oew15.29 oew15.30 oew15.31 oew15.32 oew15.33 oew15.34 oew15.35 oew15.36 oew15.37 oew15.38 oew15.39 oew15.40

Tuesday was an amazing day in the mid-seventies. Matt took the day off to pack but instead spend the day with Memaw and who can blame him…I’m actually proud of him. Meanwhile, Luke’s football team was really struggling to find motivation at North Park during practice that evening. It was terrible. The team showed no will to push themselves to improve, instead wanting to act like 6th graders – the nerve of those boys! However the screwing around got old really fast and they couldn’t get it together. We even scrimmaged the 5th graders and they kicked our butts! Bryan and I aren’t sure what to do with the team at this point. We were missing three boys and we think one of them quit the team again. I just don’t get how the parents can allow this to occur. It was Soup Night! Per request, Ann made a huge pot of chicken corn chowder and man was it good! The Homework Club was together again as well with Brittney & Kiersten making over and somehow convinced Abby to eat a bowl with them! We couldn’t believe it…after nearly 18 months, she decided she would begin including chicken in her diet occasionally. That’s my Bu – before long we’ll have her eating steak and burgers again. Not sure how much homework got done though…
Wednesday barely made it in to the 70s – perfect in my opinion. Abby was in to school early for Pirateers practice before classes began. Luke had four baby teeth pulled (poor kid) and slept most of the afternoon and evening. Matt stayed home again to pack and actually succeeded this time, getting the majority of his stuff ready. I trimmed over at Mom & Sandy’s house – it needed it really bad. It took me nearly an hour and a half to do it all after not getting over there for nearly a month. It was Matt’s choice for dinner and he came through strong with his request of garlic chicken – always a favorite for everyone. She has become such a good cook. Even Abby enjoyed the chicken tonight!! Afterwards, Ann went out for a few cocktails with Amy. Matt went out with Colton. And we saw the unbelievably shocking video of the maniac that shot that poor reporter and cameraman on live TV. What is wrong with people?? We have lots of new social media pictures to share this week: Luke at school; Abby & Noah after the game last week; Bu and the Pirateers; Luke’s tryout sheet; Homework Club; Lola; Abby & Megan throwback; IN Delta Phi Delt house; Jeff’s cool throwback color scheme; new Star Wars Hot Wheels; a cool real-life Hot Wheel; more Bu pix; an oldie of Matt on WTRE; game day flags; me at work; Angie at the 5K; Megan in VT; Gigi’s niece Ally; a round of the Scheu family nectar; two sad deaths this week: Darryl Dawkins and Justin Wilson (never work up from coma); more Jeff at Bristol; and another cool shirt. I also was inducted in to the CPI (verbal de-escalation) Hall of Fame this week. I have since retired but my numbers were good enough to get me in: 1,000 trained employees, 1500 training hours, 250 training classes, 5 instructor classes and 20 years of active training.

smp15.08.164 smp15.08.165 smp15.08.166 smp15.08.167 smp15.08.168 smp15.08.169 smp15.08.170 smp15.08.171 smp15.08.172 smp15.08.173 smp15.08.174 smp15.08.175 smp15.08.176 smp15.08.177 smp15.08.178 smp15.08.179 smp15.08.180 smp15.08.181 smp15.08.182 smp15.08.183 smp15.08.184 smp15.08.185 smp15.08.186 smp15.08.187 smp15.08.188 smp15.08.189 smp15.08.190 smp15.08.191 smp15.08.192 smp15.08.193 smp15.08.194 smp15.08.195 smp15.08.196 smp15.08.197 smp15.08.198 smp15.08.199 smp15.08.200 smp15.08.202 tcpi15.1 tcpi15.2 tcpi15.3 tcpi15.4

After having such a subpar practice on Thursday, it was no surprise that we had a poor turnout for football practice that night with like 8 boys or something like that. So we did what we could but began discussing the idea of what we want to do about the game this weekend. We will likely only have 10 kids for the rest of the season. Do we want to call it quits, play short-handed, bring up a couple 5th graders? We aren’t sure what the right answer is at this point. We don’t want to put in more effort that boys and waste everyone’s time, if you know what I mean. Ann continued with Matt’s choice again for dinner and for his last supper, he chose his fave – chicken fettuccini alfredo. It was amazing as always. Matt & I worked on his car that night. Ann went with Abby to tap class at Dixon. It was Alex Lifeson’s birthday and the silver anniversary of Stevie Ray Vaughn’s death. And sadly, Darryl “Chocolate Thunder” Dawkins passed away from a heart attack.
Ann & I took the day off on Friday. It was Move-In Day at U Indy for Matt and his classmates. He and Colton changed dorms and will live on a co-ed floor – man how times have changed! We got everything moved in pretty easily but he has some work to do to rearrange the room the way he and Colton want it. Afterwards we took him out to lunch at Five Guys and took him shopping for some last minute items for his room. We came home and took a cat nap before Kama came over to see Abby and I took the girls out to the Messers to meet up with Bryan and head down to North Vernon. The varsity football team faced the larger Jennings County team that is always a tough game for us. Bryan & I continue to keep stats from our perch, high above the field on top of the press box. It was a perfect night for football and their halftime show was very entertaining. They have a good band, a rock band and color guard. The game quickly got away from the Pirates and they lost 14-35. Abby’s boyfriend, Noah, broke his helmet late and had to leave the game. I’m not sure if he ever made it back in to the game. Afterwards we went out for dinner there in town at Pizza Hut. Meanwhile, Luke stayed home and had his buddy Oakley over to stay the night and have Papa John’s pizzas. Ann had Amy over for some quality porch time where they enjoyed some homemade Patron strawberry margaritas – sorry I missed those!

mmd15.1 mmd15.2 mmd15.3 mmd15.4 mmd15.5 mmd15.6 mmd15.7 mmd15.8 mmd15.9 mmd15.10 mmd15.11 mmd15.12 mmd15.13 mmd15.14 mmd15.15 mmd15.16 mmd15.17 mmd15.18 mmd15.19 mmd15.20 mmd15.21 mmd15.22 mmd15.23 tsjc15.1 tsjc15.2 tsjc15.3 tsjc15.4 tsjc15.5 tsjc15.6 tsjc15.7

Saturday was a long, fun day for Luke and I. We ran errands early in the morning, worked on the pickup truck, mowed the lawn and played catch with the football while discussing strategy for the game later that day. We met up with Bryan and Drew and headed to Rushville for our second football game of the season. As anticipated, we only had ten boys and asked the opposing team to play 10-on-10 but they only laughed. Thankfully, we were able to get four volunteers from the fifth grade squad to play with us. They played their own game only moments earlier and then turned around and played another full game with us. Our hats are off to those kids, their parents and the coaches for sticking around another couple hours to play with us. We were very thankful to have them but were careful to work them in gradually and not just throw them to the wolves. The Rushville team was huge – they had several boys over 6’ tall and a few double-stripers (over 200 lbs!). This is the team that beat us pretty soundly in the jamboree, but we were sandbagging since it meant nothing. Today it was for real. The boys were inspired by how hard the 5th graders worked and rallied around them. It was a good mix. Luke had a big game as did several of our boys. He was a captain for the coin toss. He played several positions for us. At tight end, he had 2 receptions for 50 yards and his first touchdown of his career! At fullback, he rushed 5 times for 15 yards. At kicker, he was 1-for-2 in his PAT’s and kicked off 4 times: a big 50-yarder, a 40 and 35 yarder and then did an onside kick that he himself recovered! The problem is that he and his buddy Grayson did this on their own without the coaches knowledge! We will talk to them about it at Monday’s practice. He played linebacker (middle and outside) all game and had 6 solo tackles and 11 assists. Our defense had two takeaways (both interceptions) and we won 19-6! Our record is now even at 1-1. Ann brought Amy and Bu to watch the game with her. The girls drove home separately and had dinner at ElRep. Abby went to hang out at the Messers for movie night with Myles & Wesley. Meanwhile the boys left the game and stopped at Taco Bell for dinner before heading south for a road trip to Kentucky to watch the night races at the Florence Speedway! Bryan’s tent company is sponsoring a young driver named Dave Lehman this year. We had pit passes and got to go meet him and see the #25 modified race car. The boys loved it and were in awe the entire night. It was really loud but extremely cool. The racing was tight and Dave spun out 4 times on a tough night, missing the feature event. He was very nice and watched the final races with us. Those cars threw a ton of dirt in the air and lots of mud marbles at us that actually stung when they hit you in the face! But the high banks of the ½ mile dirt track provided some really close racing and a few thrilling wrecks. It was dollar beer night but after the first six pack, we slowed way down and were good boys due to the 90 minute drive home with no DD. Bryan’s car had a thick film of dust on it when we returned to the parking lot and we didn’t get home until the wee hours of the morning. Thanks to Bryan for a thrilling night of racing! We really enjoyed ourselves.

lfr15.0 lfr15.0a lfr15.0b lfr15.0c lfr15.1 lfr15.2 lfr15.3 lfr15.4 lfr15.5 lfr15.6 lfr15.7 lfr15.8 lfr15.9 lfr15.10 lfr15.11 lfr15.12 lfr15.13 lfr15.14 lfr15.15 lfr15.16 lfr15.17 lfr15.18 lfr15.19 lfr15.20 lfr15.21 lfr15.22 lfr15.23 lfr15.24 lfr15.25 lfr15.26 lfr15.27 lfr15.28 lfr15.29 lfr15.30 lfr15.31 lfr15.32 lfr15.33 lfr15.34 lfr15.35 lfr15.36 lfr15.37 lfr15.38 lfr15.39 lfr15.40 lfr15.41 lfr15.42 lfr15.43 lfr15.44 lfr15.45 lfr15.46 lfr15.47 lfr15.48 lfr15.49 lfr15.50 lfr15.51 lfr15.52 lfr15.53 lfr15.54 lfr15.55 lfr15.56 lfr15.57 lfr15.58 lfr15.59 lfr15.60 fs15.1 fs15.2 fs15.3 fs15.4 fs15.5 fs15.6 fs15.7 fs15.8 fs15.9 fs15.10 fs15.11

We slept in on Sunday morning. We awoke to a house filled with the smell of Ann’s homemade chocolate chip muffins that got us all out of bed. We did our weekly household chores and watched football and racing on the big screen along with the series finale of one of my faves – Falling Skies. Abby had a Pirateers meeting where she and her buddy Shelby choreographed a new dance. Luke had basketball practice in the evening and Ann made some chicken parmesan dish that was outstanding. It was a quiet end to an otherwise loud week at the Scheu Abode.
For our Waybac section, we are right in the middle of featuring photo albums Ann put together of our young family in the late nineties, including a few new photos of Mom. This week’s collection is special as it has a couple of our all-time favorite photos. We lead off this week in Columbus with all my parents in town to see newborn Matthew in March of ’96; then Matt crawling and being fed by Memaw in our living room in October ’96; Matt & I out discovering our backyard in Columbus in March ’97 and then our little one at Gma & Gigi’s house for Easter in Greensburg a month later; visiting Grandma & Gigi’s house again at Christmas in ’97 – he loved their tree, which had a train that ran around the bottom; Matt’s 2nd birthday party at our 1st Greensburg home in March ’98 with all of Matt’s grandparents; then a month later he went to Sesame Street Live in Indy with Mom & Sandy in April ’98; and finally we head back to Columbus to my work for a family cookout, and bon fire in the backyard in October of 1998.

Waybac.1996.03.mb20 Waybac.1996.03.mb21 Waybac.1996.03.mb22 Waybac.1996.03.mb23 Waybac.1996.10.mfc1 Waybac.1996.10.mfc2 Waybac.1996.10.mfc3 Waybac.1996.10.mfc4 Waybac.1997.03.mfb18 Waybac.1997.03.mfb19 Waybac.1997.04.me6 Waybac.1997.04.me7 Waybac.1997.12.mc5 Waybac.1997.12.mc6 Waybac.1997.12.mc7 Waybac.1997.12.mc8 Waybac.1998.03.msb13 Waybac.1998.03.msb14 Waybac.1998.04.mss6 Waybac.1998.04.mss7 Waybac.1998.10.mbhc15 Waybac.1998.10.mbhc16 Waybac.1998.10.mbhc17 Waybac.1998.10.mbhc18

We have an entry this week in our Shit that Luke Says segment. On our way to the race track on Saturday night, Bryan & I were talking about working and saving money to support yourself with the boys when Luke spouts off, “Dad, I need a G. O. B.” We all laughed hard except Luke, who wasn’t sure what we were laughing at when he stops and mumbles, “Wait…I mean J. O. B!” :0)
And that brings us to our final section, which is our video segment. This week we have three new family movies to share as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for another episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply