Sometimes Happy… then Sad

After such a fantastic week last week, this one brought with it a few hurdles, set backs and even tears. The household was a little off this week with Matt back at school. We all felt it – even the dogs – but none could adequately express it – that figurative elephant in the room, you know. Ann battled physical ailments and had doctor appointments. Severe weather dampened all our football spirits. There were a couple celebrity deaths. And the anniversary of Mom’s death was also this week. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog. The leaves started falling from certain trees this week, the weather had been cooler but as the week progressed it got hotter and hotter, topping out in the 90s by the weekend. It was the final week of the pre-season for the NFL and more importantly, college football was finally back. But our Labor Day weekend was the best in recent memory…
Monday morning came way to early this week. Abby was back to her dance routine after school by having Pirateers practice and later jazz class at Dixon Studios. Meanwhile Luke and the 6th grade football team had a good practice as they prepare to play the best team in the league this week. True to his word, Coach Messer ended practice early and all the kids piled in to his truck and headed over to Dairy Point for ice cream due to winning this past week! The kids were very excited to practice today, still rolling with the momentum of their big win. Sadly, the legendary horror film director Wes Craven (Swamp Thing, Nightmare on Elm St, The Hills have Eyes, Shocker, Scream) died today of brain cancer.
Tuesday was Soup Night for the Homework Club again. However, in lieu of soup (per request), Ann made fully loaded baked potatoes, crispy chicken and tossed salad. Only Brittany was able to attend this week but the girls had fun and I think they actually got some homework done! Luke and I had football practice again that evening. We worked primarily on blocking drills and then our offense while scrimmaging against the 5th graders. We have a long way to go but the boys at least are looking sharper. We officially now have just eleven boys as our center/nose guard (and biggest guy on the team) broke his hand and is out for the season. I sure hope the 5th graders are willing to help us out the rest of the year…
Wednesday was the three-year anniversary of Mom’s passing. It has been so long since I heard her voice that it seems much closer to twenty-three years. I spoke with Dad, Rob & Sharon and I think we all feel the same way without even needing to say it. We miss her so much. The tears were fewer this year, but still present. Maybe it was because it’s been another year, maybe it’s because I didn’t talk as much about it this year or maybe it’s because death is becoming a more prominent in my life in general that I’ve started to accept my own mortality and that of those around me. Abby was back at Pirateers after school that evening. Luke had the night off from sports so enjoyed it by spending time with his friends and family. He played football with Oakley, went on a long bike ride and then played basketball with Abby until it was nearly dark. Noah came over later to hang out with Bu and the family. And we lost another Hollywood talent that day. Dean Jones, best known for his work with Disney in such classics as The Love Bug, The Shaggy DA and That Darn Cat, succumbed to Parkinson’s disease. We have lots of new social media pictures to share this week: Abby and friends; Megan’s 1st day of school; Keith & Rosie in VT; Uncle John & Aunt June with family; Aunt Sharon Smith’s grandkids; Tammie; Emily & daughter; Kathy cutting a rug; Aunt Judy; Bryan and family; Phyllis & Dick; Wes Craven’s death; Brady got off the hook somehow this week; Jeff’s final trip to the Lady in Black; Calvin & Hobbes Sunday panels; Aunt Sharon Morgan and kids; FC lost their season opener, as did Purdue; more Bu and friends; Cathy at NHRA; Wayne & Sharon (& Jino) at the Don Felder concert in Columbus this weekend; and a nice solute to Jeff at Darlington, where he finished with a top 20 and is still in the running to get in to the chase, regardless of no victory this year.

nhra15.11 smp15.09.00 smp15.09.01 smp15.09.02 smp15.09.03 smp15.09.04 smp15.09.05 smp15.09.06 smp15.09.07 smp15.09.08 smp15.09. 09 smp15.09.10 smp15.09.11 smp15.09.12 smp15.09.13 smp15.09.14 smp15.09.15 smp15.09.16 smp15.09.17 smp15.09.18 smp15.09.19 smp15.09.20 smp15.09.21 smp15.09.22 smp15.09.23 smp15.09.24 smp15.09.25 smp15.09.26 smp15.09.27 smp15.09.28 smp15.09.29 smp15.09.30 smp15.09.32 smp15.09.33 smp15.09.34 smp15.09.35 smp15.09.36 smp15.09.37 smp15.09.38 smp15.09.39 smp15.09.40 smp15.09.41 smp15.09.42

Ann had an MRI done on her ailing knee on Thursday. Taking a page out of our eldest’s book, she not only tore her meniscus…she shredded it and will need surgery later this month to repair it. I left work early to get Luke & Drew for football practice back at North Park that evening for football practice. Coach Messer had a gig that night and was unable to attend. Although we only had ten that night, I still hoped to play against the 5th graders again to get in some defensive work but that never came to fruition. Instead we worked on our offense in split-squad drills. Ann and Bu returned to the Dixon Dance Studio for tap class later that night.
Bu was up and in early for Optimist Club before school on Friday morning. Ann went with Dee for a meeting in Indy after work. I left work early to meet up with Abby & Kama and head over to Bryan’s house and we all headed up to Connersville under the threat of severe weather. We were hoping it would miss us but wouldn’t you know it – we no sooner than signed in to get our tickets than they announced that the field and stands had to be evacuated due to lightning. Thankfully Abby & Kama were just getting ready to pay for their tickets when the announcement was made. We were on an official 30-minute delay but with each new lightning strike, it pushed that clock back another half hour. We decided to go grab a quick dinner at Taco Bell where we swore we saw Wednesday from the Addams Family – specifically the Christina Ricci version! It was so windy when we went inside as the storm passed. We piled back in the car as the storm seemed to hover above us and refused to move on. We headed back to the field but never got back out of the car. Finally after two hours of waiting, it was mercifully cancelled and rescheduled for Saturday night. Unfortunately, Bryan & I will not be able to do stats for the team due to our own game. So we headed home, bummed that we didn’t get our “Friday Night Lights” fix this week. Luke played football out in the front yard with like eight or nine boys and then stayed the night at Alex’s house and returned early the next morning.
We slept in on our first day of the long holiday weekend on Saturday morning. We slowly got moving and Luke & I got outside to mow and trim before it got too hot/humid. We were still dripping wet afterwards and had to shower afterwards. We took it easy and did a little napping before getting ready for our football game. Luke and the sixth graders had a tall challenge this week as they squared off with a team they have not beaten in two previous attempts. This team has gone undefeated four straight years and has obviously won the league and playoff championships since we’ve been in the league. We even created a defense on the fly a few years ago and named it after them! We were again under the threat of severe weather as Luke & I went out to the field early for our home opener. We set up the gazebo for Gma, Gigi and Ann. We were moments from kickoff when the officials put us on a 30-minute delay due to lightning. The weather only worsened and about 15 minutes later, the game was cancelled. We will likely make the game up at a later date. Therefore our record either remains at 1-1 for now. The nasty stuff blew in quickly and the lightning worsened. Most everyone had left and only a few volunteers were scurrying to put everything away. Once we were sure all the kids were accounted for, Luke & I pitched in to help put everything away as the wind howled and thunder rumbled overhead. We were able to get everything picked up just before it started raining. As we pulled away, we saw a transformer blow up across the street from the field. Thankfully, Gma had left 30 minutes earlier so she made it home safely. Ann met us at ElRep for an early dinner when the skies opened up. It absolutely let go. You couldn’t see outside the windows because it was coming down so hard. The stop lights were sideways and the thunder claps were really loud. They lost power briefly three separate times. We had a nice dinner and waited until it stopped raining before we left. Meanwhile, Abby went with Brittney up to Deer Creek to see another country show. This time it was an artist named Dierks Bentley. I wasn’t familiar with his work, but the girls loved it. Luckily, they did not get any of the nasty weather and enjoyed a lovely evening at the outdoor arena. They ended up upgrading their lawn seats to pavilion to get a little closer to the stage. Ann & I watched a movie on the big screen as we waited for Bu to get home.
We all slept in again on Sunday morning. We eventually got motivated to do our weekly household chores as we watched a ton of racing and football. Abby went out with Noah and spent the day with him. Ann went with Amy to spend the day together which left Luke and I cleaned up the family room and his bedroom before cleaning the headlights on the Pacifica and then it was time for some fun. We went out to the fairgrounds to fly his helicopter and then grabbed dinner at BK. Later, Ann had Amy & Baili over for some porch time on a perfect summer night.

abc15.01 abc15.02 abc15.03 abc15.04 abc15.05 abc15.06 abc15.07 abc15.08 abc15.09 abc15.10 abc15.11 abc15.12 abc15.13 abc15.14 abc15.15 abc15.16 abc15.17 abc15.18 abc15.19 abc15.20 abc15.21 abc15.22 abc15.23 abc15.24 abc15.25 abc15.26 abc15.27 abc15.28 abc15.29 abc15.30 abc15.31 abc15.32 abc15.33 tas15.1 tas15.2 tas15.3 tas15.4 tas15.5 tas15.6

Monday was Labor Day and the final day of our long weekend. It was a scorcher that reached well in to the 90’s with heavy humidity. Bryan & Drew took us up to Clermont for the NHRA Nationals at Lucas Oil Dragway! Bryan got us a great place to park and a ride through the grounds on a Gator, so we didn’t have to walk anywhere. We got to see all kinds of drag races. The top fuel dragsters actually hurt your ears if you didn’t plug them. The thunderous engines made your whole body quake as the sound waves moved through you like ripples in a pond. It was amazing. The smell of nitro and burning rubber was unlike anything I had ever experienced. We accidentally sat next to our family friend Billy and after the first round we made our way back to the pits. We met up with my cousin Cathy and her husband Cookie, who actually works for Schumacher Racing. The boys got to meet the eventual funny car champion, Fast Jack Beckman, who also works for Schumacher Racing. Tom took us inside one of their trailers where we got to see the machine shop and that was really cool! We left there and walked though the fan zone where the boys got their pictures taken with the Harley girls. We stopped by the shop and got some souvenirs. Bryan got us in to the Top Eliminator Club where we ate a big lunch. We sat on the other side of the raceway for some of the other classes, including the motorcycles and then headed back to the pits. The heat really drained us of our energy, despite the adrenaline rush of watching the amazing machines. Tom said that his top fuel machines produce 10K horsepower! Wow!! Bryan, being a machinist himself by trade, really hit it off with Cookie. Unfortunately we didn’t get to hang out much with Tom & Cathy but hope to spend more time with them next year. We ended up sitting in the Gator down at the finish line for the semi’s and then headed out and caught the finals on TV when we got home. Big thanks to Tom, Cathy, Bryan and of course Matt’s boss (Keith) for making Luke & I’s first experience at an NHRA event a memorable one. We are hooked now and can’t wait to get back again next year! When we got home, Luke was so amped he didn’t know what to do with himself so we sent him outside to play. He rode bikes with Oakley and then later got his neighborhood buddies together again for another round of football. Ann scrapped with Shawna today at Mrs. B’s. Abby went out to eat with Noah in Rushville and later we relaxed on the couch in the air conditioning, watched the NHRA wrap-up and some prime time college football made our night complete.

nhra15.1 nhra15.2 nhra15.3 nhra15.4 nhra15.5 nhra15.6 nhra15.7 nhra15.8 nhra15.9 nhra15.10 nhra15.11 nhra15.12 nhra15.13 nhra15.14 nhra15.15 nhra15.16 nhra15.17 nhra15.18 nhra15.19 nhra15.20 nhra15.21 nhra15.22 nhra15.23 nhra15.24 nhra15.25 nhra15.26 nhra15.27 nhra15.28 nhra15.29 nhra15.30 nhra15.31 nhra15.32 nhra15.33 nhra15.34 nhra15.35 nhra15.36 nhra15.37 nhra15.38 nhra15.39 nhra15.40 nhra15.41 nhra15.42 nhra15.43 nhra15.44 nhra15.45 nhra15.46 nhra15.47 nhra15.48 nhra15.49 nhra15.50 nhra15.51 nhra15.52 nhra15.53 nhra15.54 nhra15.55 nhra15.56 nhra15.57 nhra15.58 nhra15.59 nhra15.60

Next is our Waybac segment which continues to feature our first 6 photo albums from our young family. We lead off in October of 1995 for the first images of our baby Matthew; then Matt nearly a year later in August ’96 – just starting to move around in our Columbus townhouse; then right around Matt’s 1st bday in March ’97 (where is that shark hat today??); then a couple of our favorites of our little buddy during a trip to the park by the high school in October ’97 (I still have that little shirt somewhere!); and then on to our big boy in January ’98: showing off the goods at our 1st house in Greensburg and then his first hair cut at Joann’s; and finally in July of 1998 – horsing around with Uncle Chad in our living room and then rushing to find Papaw Bryan at the house on the hill in Rossville.

Waybac.1995.10.25.mus1 Waybac.1995.10.25.mus2 Waybac.1995.10.25.mus3 Waybac.1995.10.25.mus4 Waybac.1995.10.25.mus5 Waybac.1996.08.hgpd1 Waybac.1996.08.hgpd2 Waybac.1996.08.hgpd3 Waybac.1996.08.hgpd4 Waybac.1997.03.mhbd1 Waybac.1997.03.mhbd2 Waybac.1997.03.mhbd3 Waybac.1997.03.mhbd4 Waybac.1997.10.mhfd1 Waybac.1997.10.mhfd2 Waybac.1997.10.mhfd3 Waybac.1997.10.mhfd4 Waybac.1997.10.mhfd5 Waybac.1998.01.mhny1 Waybac.1998.01.mhny2 Waybac.1998.01.mhny3 Waybac.1998.01.mhny4 Waybac.1998.01.mhny5 Waybac.1998.07.mhsv1 Waybac.1998.07.mhsv2 Waybac.1998.07.mhsv3 Waybac.1998.07.mhsv4 Waybac.1998.07.mhsv5 Waybac.1998.07.mhsv6

Our final segment is our videos. This week we have XX new family movies to share as well as a bunch from around the internet.

Jimi Hendrix-Can You See Me by peakers

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply