Children get Older…And I’m getting Older Too

We experienced another fast week, here at the Scheu abode. Ann got a good checkup at the doctor. Matt worked hard at school and came home to work this weekend. Abby was feeling much better and was busy as ever, including a special night that we’re very proud of… Luke officially finished football and began basketball. It was time for mid-terms and we got to talk to all the kids’ teachers. I focused more on my diet than exercise this week. I managed to survive another trip around the sun this week as well. But the thing that captured our attention daily was that of our new house guests. Since development has begun behind us, we have seen an increase in field mice activity on our property. First they made their way to the shed a couple years ago when they broke ground back there. Then they discovered the garage last year when they started to build homes on the street behind us. Now that they are developing the land directly behind us, they suddenly began exploring the house this week. Although it has disrupted our lives, we did manage to catch ten little critters and feel pretty good that we have a handle on it. Lola and Molly are good “mousers,” but they kept us up a couple nights. We’ve never experienced anything like this before, but it forced us to do a lot of cleaning – which is never a bad thing. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
It was back to work and school on Monday morning. Luke did not have basketball due to the Awards Banquet that night after school. Luke received his second letter as well as a special award for perfect attendance at football practice. Sadly, only seven of the boys from the team even bothered to show up that night. I walked 3 miles after work on a warm day in the 70’s. After the chill and rain of last week, it was a nice change. In fact, it’s been pretty nice all week. Abby had Pirateers after school. Mom & Sandy listed the old Main St house today and 3 hours later they had an offer! Wow!! I have mixed feelings about the situation…on one hand, I’m extremely happy for them to turn it around so quickly and without any stress…but on a selfish note, I’m really sad because of all the wonderful memories in that beautiful house. Thankfully, we are in the middle of featuring that old beauty in our Waybac segment and will be for the next several months.

anhs16.42a lfab16.1 lfab16.2 lfab16.3 lfab16.4 lfab16.5 lfab16.6 lfab16.7 lfab16.8 lfab16.9 lfab16.10 lfab16.11

Abby was up early and out of the house on Tuesday for Student Council. I took the day off to run Ann up to Indy for her follow-up endocrinologist appointment. It went very well. We caught a quick bite to eat downtown and then headed back to get ready for Abby’s big night. Gma brought Luke home from basketball practice as normal and he decided to join us as Abby was inducted in to the National Honor Society at the high school. It was a cool ceremony in the auditorium that went really quick and then we took a bunch of pictures in the gym. Mom & Sandy met us there for Bu’s special night, along with about 40 other students. Way to go, Bu!! We are so proud of you! Gma & Gigi disappeared during pictures and did not accompany us to Buffalo Wings & Rings for a celebratory dinner. Randal was our waiter and did a nice job. Later, he came over to hang out with Abby and they made a huge batch of brownies for school tomorrow. The World Series kicked off that night with an Indians victory over the Cubbies. Cleveland lost only one game in the post season leading up to this series, so this is gonna be a touch one for Chicago.

anhs16.1 anhs16.2 anhs16.3 anhs16.4 anhs16.5 anhs16.6 anhs16.7 anhs16.8 anhs16.9 anhs16.10 anhs16.11 anhs16.12 anhs16.13 anhs16.14 anhs16.15 anhs16.16 anhs16.17 anhs16.18 anhs16.19 anhs16.20 anhs16.21 anhs16.22 anhs16.23 anhs16.24 anhs16.25 anhs16.26 anhs16.27 anhs16.28 anhs16.29 anhs16.30 anhs16.31 anhs16.32 anhs16.33 anhs16.34 anhs16.35 anhs16.36 anhs16.37 anhs16.38 anhs16.39 anhs16.40 anhs16.41 anhs16.42 anhs16.43 anhs16.44 anhs16.45 anhs16.46 anhs16.47 anhs16.48 anhs16.49 anhs16.50

Wednesday was another warm day, up around 80 degrees. Luke had basketball practice and Ann went with Abby to jazz class at Dixon that evening. Afterwards, Abby & Mary worked out at the Y with Randal. I walked 3 mi after work on a gorgeous evening. The Cubs won game 2 of the World Series and are headed back to Chicago for the weekend. That night, Ann ran Luke over to stay the night with his buddy Luke (Phyllis & Dick’s grandson).
Abby & Luke had the day off from school on Thursday. Luke did not have basketball practice. Abby had Pirateers then worked at the high school as a greeter for Student Council at the Parent – Teacher Conferences. Ann & I left work early to stop by the junior high and then the high school to meet with the kids’ teachers. We purposely went to the junior high first to get the potentially bad news over with! However we were pleasantly surprised to hear that our youngest is finally maturing. His teachers all had nice things to say…though he still needs to work on his talking, which has always gotten him in trouble (as it did for his parents back in the day as well!). The high school teachers also gave glowing reports and so we left that evening, feeling pretty good about our parenting skills! :0) Later, Ann again went with Abby to Dixon; this time for tap class. The teacher changed the music for their dance. It was supposed to be The Who but now it will be Twisted Sister. It was Robby’s 37th birthday that day. He had the day off to celebrate and got a new job that morning, so it was a good day for him. We have lots of new social media pictures to share this week: Timm cousins; the Smiths; Matt’s apartment; recent memes; Abby & Colton; Monica; Bu & friends; more cousins and some various stuff.

smp16.10.231 smp16.10.232 smp16.10.233 smp16.10.234 smp16.10.235 smp16.10.236 smp16.10.237 smp16.10.238 smp16.10.239 smp16.10.240 smp16.10.241 smp16.10.242 smp16.10.243 smp16.10.244 smp16.10.245 smp16.10.246 smp16.10.247 smp16.10.248 smp16.10.249 smp16.10.250 smp16.10.251 smp16.10.252 smp16.10.253 smp16.10.254 smp16.10.255 smp16.10.256 smp16.10.257 smp16.10.258 smp16.10.259 smp16.10.260 smp16.10.261 smp16.10.262 smp16.10.263 smp16.10.264 smp16.10.266 smp16.10.267 smp16.10.268 smp16.10.269

Friday was my birthday. Mom O called me at the butt-crack of dawn to sing the birthday song to me. Luke had basketball practice after school. Ann & Angie had their Beer & Boobies day (their annual mammograms) and allowed Bryan & I to join them this year…well the beer part anyhow! I left work early as Bryan picked me up and we met the girls at the Garage Pub for an early dinner and some brews. I had a very good Bacon Bloody Mary with dinner as well. After a few hours of laughing and drinking, we made our way home. We continued the party at the Sunken Boat Bar where Bryan & I watched the World Series (Cubbies lost) outside on his patio. It was a gorgeous night and enjoyed a bottle of rum, a stogie and a fire. It was a wonderful way to end a very nice b-day. Meanwhile Luke had Luke H over for the night and Abby had Randall over for dinner as Ann ordered pizzas for the kids. The boys played football outside with the neighborhood kids until late while the older kids watched the classic horror flick, “It.” Ann developed a nasty headache, so she did not come over to the Messers with me. Instead, she stayed and talked with the kids until late. I went to bed after the game and Ann & the kids ended up making jalapeño popper dip at like 1 in the morning!

tbd16.1 tbd16.2 tbd16.3 tbd16.4 tbd16.5 tbd16.6 tbd16.7

We were up early on Saturday morning as Ann went to Cincy with Shawna to scrapbook for the day. Abby went to Randal’s house for a while then later they went to Cincy to hit a big haunted house with another couple. I ran the boys to basketball practice and came home to find Matt’s car parked out front! He was in town for work and stopped over to say hi. After work, he showered and headed back up to school for a Halloween costume party (he went as a rabbi). Meanwhile, Luke & I mowed the back yard – his mower finally died. We worked on it for about a half hour. At this point, we’re thinking about not repairing it again and instead I think we will end up replacing it with a new one. I’ve had my eye on a Husqy over at Herbert’s for a couple years now… So I mowed while he trimmed. He was pretty exhausted after practice (all the boys looked winded as they filed out of the junior high). He decided he did not want to work on b-ball drills at the Y because he was still tired from practice so we went straight to the 5K track to exercise. He ended up taking his bike and riding it on the trail. Afterwards we grabbed a late lunch at Subway and then ran to Walmart before coming home to shower. He wound up getting picked up to go spend the night with his buddy, Colin. That meant that I had a quiet evening (late birthday present! LOL). I took a nap, caught up on several DVR’ed shows and watched game 4 of the World Series at Wrigley Field. Unfortunately, the Cubs lost again, going down 1 game to 3 and now have their backs against the wall. Here are some random photos from our week.

sis16.10.154 sis16.10.155 sis16.10.156 sis16.10.157 sis16.10.158 sis16.10.159 sis16.10.160 sis16.10.161 sis16.10.162 sis16.10.163 sis16.10.164 sis16.10.165 sis16.10.166 sis16.10.167 sis16.10.168 sis16.10.169 sis16.10.170 sis16.10.171 sis16.10.172 sis16.10.173 sis16.10.174 sis16.10.175 sis16.10.176 sis16.10.177 sis16.10.178 sis16.10.179 sis16.10.180 sis16.10.181 sis16.10.182 sis16.10.183 sis16.10.184 sis16.10.185 sis16.10.186 sis16.10.187 sis16.10.188 sis16.10.189 sis16.10.190 sis16.10.191 sis16.10.192

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning before getting up to do our weekly household chores. Abby went in to work at BWR and Matt came home for a little while to visit before heading off to work at Aspen Place. Luke spent the morning at Colin’s house before Heather brought him home. Ann worked from home for a few hours and I enjoyed a day full of football, which again stated at 9 am in England and ended after 11 pm in Dallas. When Abby got off work, she met up with us over at Memaw & Gigi’s house for cake & ice cream for my birthday party. We visited with them and Dee & Jamie and watched the end of the Colts game (which sucked). We’ll have a few pictures and video next week. We came back home and Luke & I watched Red Zone while Ann made dinner. Both afternoon games were close and exciting right to the end. Annie didn’t feel well so we took a rain check on her delicious lasagna and instead we enjoyed some yummy bacon cheeseburgers! Matt came home after work and picked up Luke to go over and visit with Gma & Gigi. Afterward, we watched the Cowboys face the Eagles in a battle for 1st place in the NFC East. It was a close game that ended up going in to overtime. Philly always plays the Cowboys well, so it was a nail-biter. The Cowboys won in dramatic fashion by going for it on 4th down and then Prescott throwing a TD to Whitten! Lee had a phenomenal game on defense, which made the difference tonight. We flipped between that game and game 5 of the World Series in Chicago, where the Cubbies finally won one at home to extend the series and send it back to Cleveland. Matt spent the night and planned to get up and go eat breakfast with Memaw before heading up to his classes in the morning. It was nice to spend a couple relaxing hours with him before we put a wrap on another interesting week…
Next up is our Waybac section. As mentioned earlier, we continue to feature our second 6 photo albums which have our young family moving to Greensburg and living in our first house. It was a special time for our family as we were just starting out. We had moved to a new city to be closer to Ann’s family, Abby came in to our lives and we were hosting all the family special days like Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, birthdays…it was pretty cool. We lead off this week with Matt taking his first ride in his new Hot Wheels Lamborghini Power Wheels on Christmas morning in December, 1998; then Matt’s third birthday party in March, 1999; then on to the Morgan family reunion outside Lafayette in September, 1999; Matt and his YMCA soccer team in September, 1999; Matt as Batman on Halloween in October, 1999; Ann’s work party in April, 2000; the annual Easter egg hunt on Main St in April, 2000; Camping/Canoeing trip in Bloomington in August, 2000; our trip to Lafayette for Christmas – first with Dad & Barb at the cabin in Buck Creek and then with the whole Scheu family clan at John & June’s Lingle home in December, 2000; next is Matt’s 5th birthday party in March, 2001; and we end with a few cute photos of our little cutie Bu in March, 2001.

Waybac.1998.12.mnc1 Waybac.1998.12.mnc2 Waybac.1998.12.mnc3 Waybac.1998.12.mnc4 Waybac.1999.03.mbdp10 Waybac.1999.03.mbdp11 Waybac.1999.03.mbdp12 Waybac.1999.03.mbdp13 Waybac.1999.09.mfr1 Waybac.1999.09.mfr2 Waybac.1999.09.mfr3 Waybac.1999.09.mfr4 Waybac.1999.09.mfr5 Waybac.1999.09.myst1 Waybac.1999.09.myst2 Waybac.1999.09.myst3 Waybac.1999.09.myst4 Waybac.1999.09.myst5 Waybac.1999.10.iabm1 Waybac.2000.04.awl1 Waybac.2000.04.awl2 Waybac.2000.04.awl3 Waybac.2000.04.awl4 Waybac.2000.04.eoms1 Waybac.2000.04.eoms2 Waybac.2000.04.eoms3 Waybac.2000.04.eoms4 Waybac.2000.04.eoms5 Waybac.2000.04.eoms6 Waybac.2000.04.eoms7 Waybac.2000.08.mct1 Waybac.2000.08.mct2 Waybac.2000.08.mct3 Waybac.2000.08.mct4 Waybac.2000.08.mct5 Waybac.2000.08.mct6 Waybac.2000.08.mct7 Waybac.2000.12.scc1 Waybac.2000.12.scc2 Waybac.2000.12.scc3 Waybac.2000.12.scc4 Waybac.2000.12.sfc11 Waybac.2000.12.sfc12 Waybac.2000.12.sfc13 Waybac.2000.12.sfc14 Waybac.2000.12.sfc15 Waybac.2001.03.mbdp4 Waybac.2001.03.mbdp5 Waybac.2001.03.mbdp6 Waybac.2001.03.mbdp7 Waybac.2001.03.mbdp8 Waybac.2001.03.mlb1 Waybac.2001.03.mlb2 Waybac.2001.03.mlb3

And we end with our video section. This week we have one new home movie to share as well as several videos from around the internet.

King Crimson – 21st Century Schizoid Man – BBC session (1969) HQ from ThinkFloyd61 on Vimeo.

And that does it for this week’s entry into the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. I missed ya this week, Momma…
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply