Over Men and Horses, Hoops and Garters

It’s been another long week, here at the Scheu abode. After a nice few days last week, Mother Nature reminded us that it’s still winter in Indiana. The temps dropped further and further south as the week went progressed. Luke finished up his basketball season this week. Abby was busier than ever this week. Matt had more health issues. Ann’s knees continued to push her further towards replacement surgery. I continued to exercise each day, battling the bulge. We’ve had some snow this week but not enough to go sledding, unfortunately. Ann & I got to see our old college stomping grounds and we got to catch up with more family this week that we hadn’t seen in quite some time. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
Ann & I ran the “Fridge” back in to the shop to have the heating system checked out on our way back in to work in the Barney mobile. Turned out it is a clogged heater core that may or may not work itself free. Matt had breakfast with Gma before heading back up to college at U Indy. Luke & Abby returned to school. The Duke had basketball practice afterwards. After a full day of her AP classes, Bu had an SAT prep class after school then went on to Pirateers practice before heading over to Dixon for technique class and finally winding up out at the YMCA to work out as she tries to shed a few extra pounds ahead of a big formal dance. After a long day at work, it was actually good to get out and walk about two and a half miles afterwards. Here are random pictures from this week.

lbgrt17.69 sis17.01.147 sis17.01.148 sis17.01.149 sis17.01.150 sis17.01.151 sis17.01.152 sis17.01.153 sis17.01.154 sis17.01.155 sis17.01.156 sis17.01.157 sis17.01.158 sis17.01.159 sis17.01.160 sis17.01.161 sis17.01.162 sis17.01.163 sis17.01.164 sis17.01.165 sis17.01.166 sis17.01.167 sis17.01.168 sis17.01.169 sis17.01.170 sis17.01.171 sis17.01.172 sis17.01.173

We drove Black Betty in to work on Tuesday. After getting her oil changed and tire rotated, it was actually a little warmer as the heater tries to work out its funk. The rotation gave it a terrible shake however, making my hands go numb on the way over to Columbus. Abby went in early for Student Council. After school she tanned, worked out at the Y again and then headed in to work at Wings & Rings. I walked a couple miles after work before Ann & I left early to go to Luke’s final regular season game. The 7th grade Pirates faced Brookville – this was a combined team from the Brookville area, so not a true school team. Our boys started fast but Franklin County came back and made it close at halftime. In the 2nd half, we gradually pulled away and won 51-43. Their record now stands at 17-1 headed to their season-ending tourney this weekend. Luke’s stats: He had 9 rebounds, 2 tip-outs, a steal & a block vs. a very large boy. He added 4 points on 0-5 shooting by going 4-4 from the stripe. We headed home and I uploaded the game tape to Hudl and watched the #20 Boilers beat Michigan St on the road.

lbfc17.01 lbfc17.02 lbfc17.03 lbfc17.04 lbfc17.05 lbfc17.06 lbfc17.07 lbfc17.08 lbfc17.09 lbfc17.10 lbfc17.11 lbfc17.12 lbfc17.13 lbfc17.14 lbfc17.15 lbfc17.16 lbfc17.17 lbfc17.18 lbfc17.19 lbfc17.20 lbfc17.21 lbfc17.22 lbfc17.23 lbfc17.24 lbfc17.25 lbfc17.26 lbfc17.27 lbfc17.28 lbfc17.29 lbfc17.30 lbfc17.31 lbfc17.32 lbfc17.33 lbfc17.34 lbfc17.35 lbfc17.36 lbfc17.37 lbfc17.38 lbfc17.39 lbfc17.40 lbfc17.41 lbfc17.42 lbfc17.43 lbfc17.44 lbfc17.45 lbfc17.46 lbfc17.47 lbfc17.48 lbfc17.49 lbfc17.50 lbfc17.51 lbfc17.52 lbfc17.53 lbfc17.54 lbfc17.55 lbfc17.56 lbfc17.57 lbfc17.58 lbfc17.59 lbfc17.60 lbfc17.61 lbfc17.62 lbfc17.63 lbfc17.64 lbfc17.65 lbfc17.66 lbfc17.67 lbfc17.68 lbfc17.69 lbfc17.70 lbfc17.71 lbfc17.72 lbfc17.73 lbfc17.74 lbfc17.75 lbfc17.76 lbfc17.77 lbfc17.78 lbfc17.79

Wednesday was our one nice day this week, a gorgeous, sunny day in the mid-fifties! I took advantage of it, walking two and a half miles after work. Ann held an After Prom meeting at the high school then went on to Dixon Dance to meet up with Bu for jazz class. Meanwhile, Abby participated in Big Brothers / Big Sisters during lunch. We are so proud of her and all the things that she does. She held a Prom meeting (as part of student government) after school then over to DDS to work with Kuyhlia, ran home to grab dinner & watch the Simpsons with me before heading back out to Dixon for jazz class. Luke had basketball practice after school then hung out in his room all night, allowing me to have a nice, quiet evening to edit pictures and video. We were saddened to hear that Mary Tyler Moore died today. And in an odd twist of fate, Matt suddenly had a gut-wrenching pain in his really lower abdomen, causing him to have his roommate drive him to the ER in the middle of the night. They ran some tests but everything looks pretty good right now. He is doing much better now and is no longer in pain; but if it happens again, they think he may need surgery for it – poor kid can’t catch a break… We have several new social media pictures to share this week: Bu & friends; Aunt Sharon Smith & grandkids; Tammie & Sara; Aunt Sharon again; Walt; Hot Wheels, Zep; Boilers; celebrity deaths; Walt again; Wendy; Patsy; Kuyhlia’s wedding card; Drew ladies; Luke’s artwork project and I aced the latest Simpsons trivia quiz.

smp17.01.223 smp17.01.224 smp17.01.225 smp17.01.226 smp17.01.227 smp17.01.228 smp17.01.229 smp17.01.230 smp17.01.231 smp17.01.232 smp17.01.233 smp17.01.234 smp17.01.235 smp17.01.236 smp17.01.237 smp17.01.238 smp17.01.239 smp17.01.240 smp17.01.241 smp17.01.242 smp17.01.243 smp17.01.244 smp17.01.245 smp17.01.246 smp17.01.247 smp17.01.248 smp17.01.249 smp17.01.250 smp17.01.251 smp17.01.252 smp17.01.253 smp17.01.254 smp17.01.255 smp17.01.256

Thursday snapped right back to another cold day. Despite the inclimate weather, I walked about 5K after work in a biting wind while it spat snow on me. Ann & I headed north after work to meet up with my cousin David and his daughter Monica. They had flown up from North Carolina earlier today and were looking to spend the weekend up in Indy to take in a Butler game and see some old fraternity friends. Speaking of fraternities, we took the long way up to Greenwood, going up 31 and stopping off in Franklin. We drove through the FC campus. It looks great, overall. Unfortunately, the Phi Delt house is currently abandoned due to having its charter revoked yet again. That’s twice now since I graduated. They will have to wait until all the current actives have graduated before applying for recolonization. It looked abandoned but not too dilapidated thankfully. The SAE house looked a little worn and the KDR house did as well. We didn’t see LXA house, making us wonder if they lost their house. We headed on up after a quick tour to meet up with them at Shallo’s restaurant. We had a couple drinks (I had a few Strawberry Blonde draft beers while David had his signature bourbons) and of course a big plate of chips & dip. I love their grilled tenderloin – one of the best in the state. We spent a couple hours of laughing and catching up before heading home in the cold and snow. I was so wired that I couldn’t fall asleep and ended up staying up late.
Friday was Ann’s birthday. Memaw called us before 5 – only a few hours after I finally fell asleep! It was another cold day. We had a dusting of snow overnight and it continued to spit snow the rest of the day. After work, I walked for only about a half hour before I had to quit due to feeling like my skin was going to fall off my face! Abby was supposed to work at BWR after school but got off in order to attend dance technique class and Ann’s party. Luke had basketball practice after school then went on over to Grandma & Gigi’s house afterward to make Ann’s card. I came home and woke up Ann from her nap so we could meet everyone over at Mom & Sandy’s house for her birthday party. Maryann made a huge dinner of roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, carrots, garlic rolls, salad and some kind of mini pies. We sang to her (one of the worst versions ever, I think!), enjoyed Mom’s homemade cake with some ice cream before Ann opened her presents. We sat and talked for a little while but I was so tired from being up late last night that I came home and went to bed. Damn, I’m old…

asbd17.01 asbd17.02 asbd17.03 asbd17.04 asbd17.05 asbd17.06 asbd17.07 asbd17.08 asbd17.09 asbd17.10 asbd17.11 asbd17.12 asbd17.13 asbd17.14 asbd17.15 asbd17.16 asbd17.17 asbd17.18 asbd17.19 asbd17.20 asbd17.21 asbd17.22 asbd17.23 asbd17.24 asbd17.25 asbd17.26 asbd17.27 absd17.28 absd17.29

We were up early on Saturday morning for Luke’s final basketball games of the year. The end-of-the-year tourney was hosted by the Pirates, known simply as the Greensburg Four-Way Tourney. I guess this tournament has joined the same four teams for many, many years. The 7th and 8th grade teams hosted the respective teams from Greenfield, Rushville and Shelbyville. We drew Greenfield for the opening game of the day. It was our final game in the big gym for the year. This is a very big team that had a successful season. They were very physical – probably the roughest we’ve seen this year. Their coach and crowd were both obnoxious and very outspoken. We couldn’t let that happen at our house, so that made us rowdy and boisterous as well. I will apologize ahead of time if you watch the video below! Gma joined Ann in the front row and gave the referees and the opposing players hell while I taped up high. It was an intense game that was hotly contested but we pulled it out in the second half, winning 44-35 to move on to the championship game vs. Rushville. Luke’s stats: 5 boards, a tip-out & a block with no points on 0-1 shooting while collecting 3 fouls against a man-child. He pretty much shut down his opponent, holding him to only 6 points. After a break where we watched the 8th grade lose to Greenfield in their opening game, we played the title game in the small gym. We faced Rushville in the first game of the year, so it was only fitting that we also end our season facing them. Their coaches are not very nice people and I’m so pleased that we had Coach Buening this year. He was a great coach for the kids and Luke learned so much this year. It was a close game the whole time but we did lead the entire game and even got the bench some garbage time on our way to a 40-28 victory, capturing the tourney championship. It was our second tourney win (of two) this year and the boys finished with an outstanding 19-1 record for the year! Luke’s stats: 3 points on 1-4 shooting from the floor and 1 of 2 from the charity stripe. He added 6 rebounds & 2 blocks with 3 fouls. He faced another hoss in this game as well and again did very well in the paint. After the trophy presentation and lots of pictures, we took Lukey out to Chili’s for lunch to celebrate his season & big tourney win. We are very proud of how hard he worked this year and the improvement he made to his game. We came home and I uploaded the game tapes to Hudl, uploaded the 500+ pictures that Ann took of the boys today and uploaded them to Facebook then began editing the videos for this blog entry. Meanwhile Abby worked a double shift at BWR then had Megan over late. The girls had their beaus over to watch a couple movies on the big screen and Megan ended up spending the night. Luke went out with basketball buddies to the movies that night. Collin came home with him and spent the night. Luke has some decisions to make this coming week. We’re not sure if he will begin training for baseball now, possibly look at playing AAU basketball, try wresting again or just take a little time off before track starts? We were saddened to hear of yet more celebrity deaths that day as Geoff Nicholls (best know as keyboardist for Black Sabbath) lost his battle with cancer and actor Mike Connors (best known for the title role in the TV show Mannix) and ΦΔΘ alum passed away.

lbgrt17.00 lbgrt17.01 lbgrt17.02 lbgrt17.03 lbgrt17.04 lbgrt17.05 lbgrt17.06 lbgrt17.07 lbgrt17.08 lbgrt17.09 lbgrt17.10 lbgrt17.11 lbgrt17.12 lbgrt17.13 lbgrt17.14 lbgrt17.15 lbgrt17 16 lbgrt17.17 lbgrt17.18 lbgrt17.19 lbgrt17.20 lbgrt17.21 lbgrt17.22 lbgrt17.23 lbgrt17.24 lbgrt17.25 lbgrt17.26 lbgrt17.27 lbgrt17.28 lbgrt17.29 lbgrt17.30 lbgrt17.31 lbgrt17.32 lbgrt17.33 lbgrt17.34 lbgrt17.35 lbgrt17.36 lbgrt17.37 lbgrt17.38 lbgrt17.39 lbgrt17.40 lbgrt17.41 lbgrt17.42 lbgrt17.43 lbgrt17.44 lbgrt17.45 lbgrt17.46 lbgrt17.47 lbgrt17.48 lbgrt17.49 lbgrt17.50 lbgrt17.51 lbgrt17.52 lbgrt17.53 lbgrt17.54 lbgrt17.55 lbgrt17.56 lbgrt17.57 lbgrt17.58 lbgrt17.59 lbgrt17.60 lbgrt17.61 lbgrt17.62 lbgrt17.63 lbgrt17.64 lbgrt17.65 lbgrt17.66 lbgrt17.67 lbgrt17.68 lbgrt17.69 lbgrt17.70 lbgrt17.71

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. Ann cooked eggs & bacon for breakfast for the boys and us while Abby & Megan went out to Stack’s. Abby ended up running around with Megan all day as her support net. It was the anniversary of Megan’s dad’s death. She joined the family at the graveyard in the late afternoon then went out to dinner and later went to the movies. The boys played air-soft outside on a cold, snowy day until Collin went home after noon. We did our weekly household chores and Luke cleaned his room all day. Mom & Sandy stopped by for a while to visit that afternoon. Ann went shopping and I watched the 17-4 Boilers travel to Nebraska and lose a heartbreaker. I doubt they will stay at #20 this week. Ann made Chipotle-style burrito bowls for dinner and we watched the Pro Bowl that night.
Next up is our Waybac segment which continues to feature yet more pix from our second six family photo albums which features our life during our time in the Main St home. We lead off this week with our trip up to the Brickyard 400 qualifications in August 1997; then more from Christmas morning on Main St in December 1998; more of Matt’s birthday on Main St in March 1999; then down to the Sand Pebble and on to Disney World in May 1999; Matt & Brayton at the Indy Zoo in June 199; Matt playing Y t-ball out at the high school (they were still building the current YMCA) also in June 1999; Ann’s work having yet another baby shower in March 2000; Matt’s birthday on Main St in March 2000; Independence Day fireworks at Mom & Sandy’s house in Ryle in July 2000; Abby’s 1st birthday party on Main St in September 2000; Abby playing out at the YMCA in October 2000; Abby’s 1st bday cake and Moe up in Rossville in September 2000; Matt’s school pic in September 2000; and Matt playing on Main St in March 2001.

Waybac.1997.08.byfh22 Waybac.1997.08.byfh23 Waybac.1997.08.byfh24 Waybac.1997.08.byfh25 Waybac.1998.12.coms41 Waybac.1998.12.coms42 Waybac.1998.12.coms43 Waybac.1998.12.coms44 Waybac.1999.03.mboms26 Waybac.1999.03.mboms27 Waybac.1999.03.mboms28 Waybac.1999.03.mboms29 Waybac.1999.05.wnwp01 Waybac.1999.05.wnwp02 Waybac.1999.05.wnwp03 Waybac.1999.05.wnwp04 Waybac.1999.05.fv34 Waybac.1999.05.fv35 Waybac.1999.05.fv36 Waybac.1999.05.fv37 Waybac.1999.06.mabiz01 Waybac.1999.06.mabiz02 Waybac.1999.06.mabiz03 Waybac.1999.06.mtbymca01 Waybac.2000.03.awbs01 Waybac.2000.03.awbs02 Waybac.2000.03.awbs03 Waybac.2000.03.mbdd22 Waybac.2000.07.foj13 Waybac.2000.07.foj14 Waybac.2000.07.foj15 Waybac.2000.07.foj16 Waybac.2000.09.abdoms16 Waybac.2000.09.abdoms17 Waybac.2000.09.abdoms18 Waybac.2000.09.abdoms19 Waybac.2000.09.abdpoms23 Waybac.2000.09.abdpoms24 Waybac.2000.09.abdpoms25 Waybac.2000.09.awfhy07 Waybac.2000.09.awfhy08 Waybac.2000.09.msp22 Waybac.2000.10.awfhy05 Waybac.2000.10.awfhy06 Waybac.2001.03.mahoms06 Waybac.2001.03.mahoms07 Waybac.2001.03.mahoms08 Waybac.2001.03.mahoms09

And we wrap up with our video segment which includes ten new family movies as well as several from around the internet this week.

Well that does it for this week’s entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply