…Against a Hot Summer Sky

The kids enjoyed their first full week of summer – and it sure felt like it as temperatures were in the 80s and 90s most of the week. Matt began summer school and got a promotion at work this week. Likewise, Abby started summer school, got her promotion at work a few weeks back and also tried out for the Pirateers dance squad this week. Luke had a pair of baseball games vs. North Decatur this week and spent more time with his friends. I walked nearly 15 miles this week and had the opportunity to pass along what little knowledge I possess about vehicle repairs to the kids. Ann felt better this week than she has in months and cooked several times (it’s because Matt’s home!). LOL Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
It was back to work on Monday morning for Ann & I. The kids enjoyed sleeping in, except for Matt who had to work the early shift. Afterward he went back up to school to stay the night at his apartment. Abby spent the day hanging out with her Pirateer friends, swimming and eating before they had Pirateers workouts. Luke spent the day cleaning up his room and the family room. Poor old Black Betty lost her A/C again so we called Acra’s to change the darn compressor again for the 5th time! I managed to get in three miles of walking after work. It was a quiet night until just before I was going to bed. Abby came home and quickly entered the house with a desperate tone in her voice. She said that her car was hissing and that I need to come see it. So I got up and checked it out. It turns out she had a screw in her tire and it was quickly going down. I took advantage of the opportunity to show her and Trevin how to change a tire since neither of them had been in the situation before. Unfortunately it took like 10 minutes to get the spare out because of all the crap in her trunk! She wanted to just take the truck and have me deal with the car tomorrow but I wasn’t having any of it. She must have a small rusted hole in the trunk under the spare because it was wet, rusty & slimy but the rest of the trunk was bone dry. The scissor jack was so corroded that I couldn’t get it to work. Her lug wrench was equally nasty so I grabbed my 4-way and floor jack. I know what she’s getting for her birthday! :0) By the time we got Tonya jacked up and the tire off, it was completely flat. Good thing she came straight home. We got the donut mounted and I sent the kids on their way. Bu ran Trev home and went to go spend the night with a few of her Pirateer friends. Here are some random pictures of our adventures this week.

lbnd17.24 sis17.06.32 sis17.06.33 sis17.06.34 sis17.06.35 sis17.06.36 sis17.06.37 sis17.06.38 sis17.06.39 sis17.06.40 sis17.06.41 sis17.06.42 sis17.06.43 sis17.06.44 sis17.06.45 sis17.06.46 sis17.06.47 sis17.06.48 sis17.06.49 sis17.06.50 sis17.06.51 sis17.06.52 sis17.06.53 sis17.06.54 sis17.06.55 sis17.06.56 sis17.06.57 sis17.06.58 sis17.06.59

Matt started summer school classes in Muncie on Tuesday. It was the closest school he could find that offered the class that is a prerequisite for one of his classes in the fall. This course lasts like 8 weeks and he’ll have to take another class after this one. Aspen Place has been real good about working around his schedule. Abby left her friend’s house and went down to Five Points to get her tire fixed that morning. She later went to Pirateers that afternoon. I walked two and a half miles after work. Luke & I loaded up the truck when I got home and drove a minute to the ball diamonds. He and his Babe Ruth Marlins baseball team squared off against their rivals, North Decatur. They have a huge team this year with 18 boys on their roster. Luke played 1st base and later roamed centerfield. He recorded a few putouts at first and had one catch in center. With that catch, he came up throwing to 2nd base and very nearly doubled off a runner who had strayed a little too far off the base. At the plate, he was 2-3 with a couple singles and a groundout that he nearly legged out. He swiped three bases & a scored a pair of runs. It was close up until the final innings when we finally began to pull away and ended up winning, 9-3. Afterwards, Abby talked Ann & I into going out for dinner and a drink at ElRep. It was good to have the family together for dinner.

lbnd17.01 lbnd17.02 lbnd17.03 lbnd17.04 lbnd17.05 lbnd17.06 lbnd17.07 lbnd17.08 lbnd17.09 lbnd17.10 lbnd17.11 lbnd17.12 lbnd17.13 lbnd17.14 lbnd17.15 lbnd17.16 lbnd17.17 lbnd17.18 lbnd17.19 lbnd17.20 lbnd17.21 lbnd17.22 lbnd17.23 lbnd17.24 lbnd17.25 lbnd17.26 lbnd17.27 lbnd17.28 lbnd17.29 lbnd17.30 lbnd17.31 lbnd17.32 lbnd17.33 lbnd17.34 lbnd17.35 lbnd17.36 lbnd17.37 lbnd17.38 lbnd17.39 lbnd17.40 lbnd17.41 lbnd17.42 lbnd17.43 lbnd17.44 lbnd17.45 lbnd17.46 lbnd17.47 lbnd17.48 lbnd17.49 lbnd17.50 lbnd17.51 lbnd17.52 lbnd17.53 lbnd17.54 lbnd17.55

On Wednesday, it was Abby’s turn to start summer school. She is taking government for the next 4 or 5 weeks. Matt worked at Aspen Place. I walked 3 miles after work. Ann went out to dinner with her scrapbooking friends. Luke & I drove to Dairy Point to get ice cream for hitting the grass last night. Later, Matt & I watched game 3 of the NBA finals and were shocked to see the Warriors come from behind to take a commanding 3-0 lead.
Matt drove back to school in Muncie on Thursday. He determined it took less time to travel from home than from school so he spent the night at home last night. I followed him out of the neighborhood that morning and noticed that he had a tail light out. That evening, I showed him how to change it out. Abby had school again then went on to Pirateers. I walked another three miles after work. Luke spent night at the Hellmichs so Ann & Bu ended up going to Dairy Queen for ice cream for the rest of us. Matt and I went to Gma & Gigi’s to borrow old Abe Lincoln again as we ran Black Betty into Acra’s. It was nice to stay and visit for a while with the two of them. We just don’t see them as often as we used to…
Friday would’ve been Mom & Dad’s 39th anniversary. Abby had school then worked at Wings & Rings before going to Pirateers tryouts. Matt worked at Aspen then both he & Bu met up with Ann & I at the ballpark to watch Luke & the Mesco Marlins face the Chargers again. I walked another three miles after work. Luke started at 1st played there the whole game, making several nice plays, including being part of two pickles that led to outs. We weren’t sure what to expect as North Decatur got back a couple starters they were missing earlier in the week and we were down three players and had to play all night with only eight on the field. It hurt us a couple times. Offensively, he went 2-2 with a pair of walks & a pair of singles. He recorded six stolen bases, scored two runs and had a pair of RBI’s. This game was neck and neck until the closing innings when we pulled ahead and won again, 11-8, to remain undefeated on the year at 6-0-1. We came home to shredded chicken taco bowls – sort of like Chipotle – that were amazing. Ann had slow-cooked the chicken all day. It was really nice for all five of us to sit down at the kitchen table for dinner that night. We don’t get to do that very often any longer, so that was pretty cool. However the positive thoughts were short-lived. That night, Abby received the news that she had not been named as captain of next year’s Pirateers dance squad. And to add insult to injury, she was told that she somehow scored considerably lower on her audition this year and was in jeopardy of not even making the team. In the past three years, she had either the top score or near the top – so it was very hard for us to understand how it could be so different this year. She was upset by the news, as you might expect. Apparently, Mary also did not score well and was also not named a captain. She ended up coming over with her boyfriend so the girls could console each other. In hearing some of the questionable circumstances of this week, during practices and tryouts, it seems like it might have been pre-arranged to assure a change in the guard by the young coach and her new assistant, advisors and judges at this year’s tryouts. I won’t go into specifics here but there is a definite history that did not favor Abby, making it seem a lot like collusion from this outsider’s point of view. She was undaunted by the young coach last year by speaking up for bullied teammates, voicing disapproval of questionable behavior by the coach and not being manipulated into just following orders. That’s what made her a great captain but also probably led to this year’s outcome as well. Ann did a great job with her and although we felt bad for her, Ann helped her to see things from a broader perspective. She explained how it may be a blessing in disguise as she has a very full year ahead of her. This outcome will alleviate most of the drama and stress that she experienced last year and allow her to focus on other things such as soccer, college visits and homework. She is lucky to have such a great and wise mommy. To top off the crappy evening, we learned that the original Batman – Adam West – passed away today as well.

lbnd17.56 lbnd17.57 lbnd17.58 lbnd17.59 lbnd17.60 lbnd17.61 lbnd17.62 lbnd17.63 lbnd17.64 lbnd17.65 lbnd17.66 lbnd17.67 lbnd17.68 lbnd17.69 lbnd17.70 lbnd17.71 lbnd17.72 lbnd17.73 lbnd17.74 lbnd17.75 lbnd17.76 lbnd17.77 lbnd17.78 lbnd17.79 lbnd17.80 lbnd17.81

We enjoyed sleeping in a little on Saturday morning. Matt was the first to get up because he had to work first shift at the old folks’ home. This week, he began training as a cook, which is a nice promotion for him. Congrats to him for his efforts and work ethic. Abby & Ann went out for retail therapy & lunch at Ruby Tuesdays to talk about last night’s events. Ann came home and napped while Bu went on to work at BWR. Meanwhile, Luke & I eventually got outdoors to mow. That odd broadleaf is really taking over the lawn this year. I looked around it has really taken off in all the neighbor’s yards as well. I need to take Bryan’s advice and get a sample of it down to Kova so we can eradicate it from our lawn. We got cleaned up a little and grabbed a quick bite to eat at Taco Bell before we drove out to North Decatur where he practiced driving Betty White for about a half hour. We came back in to town and stopped at the ball diamonds to get in a little practice. Luke pitched about 60 balls to me on diamond 1 and then took some batting practice over on diamond 2, where he hit a couple balls over the fence! We came home and then he went over to the Hellmich’s to spend the night with Luke again. Meanwhile it was my turn to nap. Matt came home and we watched the movie Life until bedtime.
We all enjoyed sleeping in pretty late on Sunday morning. Matt went to have brunch with Gma & Gigi before heading in to work again. Abby seemed a lot better as the events from Friday and the words of wisdom from momma bear began to sink in for her. She learned that she did make the dance team and that there will be 15 girls on the squad this coming season. She went on an adventure with Trevin and his family before she had to head back to work. With Luke at the Hellmichs that morning, it was a nice, quiet house for Ann & I to do our weekly household chores. We may have even gotten in a nap. We picked up Lukey in the early afternoon and the three of us enjoyed a lazy day in the air conditioning. Ann made a yummy lunch of cheesy potatoes with sausage, onion & peppers. Later, she made a delicious dinner of Cajun chicken pasta with corn on the cob – for National Corn on the Cob Day! We took it easy the rest of the night, cheering on the men’s soccer team vs. Mexico (they tied, which was as good as a win for the US) and then enjoyed Fear the Walking Dead until finally calling it a week… We have tons of social media pictures to share this week.

smp17.06.67 smp17.06.68 smp17.06.69 smp17.06.70 smp17.06.71 smp17.06.72 smp17.06.73 smp17.06.74 smp17.06.75 smp17.06.76 smp17.06.77 smp17.06.78 smp17.06.79 smp17.06.80 smp17.06.81 smp17.06.82 smp17.06.83 smp17.06.84 smp17.06.85 smp17.06.86 smp17.06.87 smp17.06.88 smp17.06.89 smp17.06.90 smp17.06.91 smp17.06.92 smp17.06.93 smp17.06.94 smp17.06.95 smp17.06.96 smp17.06.97 smp17.06.98 smp17.06.99 smp17.06.100 smp17.06.101 smp17.06.102 smp17.06.103 smp17.06.104 smp17.06.105 smp17.06.106 smp17.06.107 smp17.06.108 smp17.06.109 smp17.06.110 smp17.06.111 smp17.06.112 smp17.06.113 smp17.06.114 smp17.06.115 smp17.06.116 smp17.06.117 smp17.06.118 smp17.06.119 smp17.06.120 smp17.06.121 smp17.06.122 smp17.06.123 smp17.06.124 smp17.06.125 smp17.06.126 smp17.06.127 smp17.06.128 smp17.06.129 smp17.06.130 smp17.06.131 smp17.06.132 smp17.06.133 smp17.06.134 smp17.06.135 smp17.06.136 smp17.06.137 smp17.06.138 smp17.06.139 smp17.06.140 smp17.06.141 smp17.06.142 smp17.06.143 smp17.06.144 smp17.06.145

Next up is our Waybac section, which continues to feature our young family at the turn of the century during our time in the Main St home. We lead off this week in September 1999 where we welcomed our newest addition to the family – our little Bu – both at the hospital and back at the house; next it’s Abby’s first trip up to visit Dad, Barb & Granny up at Dad’s cabin in Buck Creek in November 1999; then we have Abby’s first Christmas – at our home with the Owens family, in Lafayette with the Scheu family at John & June’s and then a few more back at the Main St home – all in December 1999; next we go to May 2000 where we have little Abs in her Dedication dress, hopping in the doorway to the kitchen with her Jedi brother and crawling around the house; and then we have a bunch of pictures from Abby’s first trip to Florida for vacation in May 2000 – at Downtown Disney in Orlando and at the Sand Pebble in Treasure Island.

Waybac.1999.09.amtmsh1 Waybac.1999.09.amtmsh2 Waybac.1999.09.amtmsh3 Waybac.1999.09.amtmsh4 Waybac.1999.09.tfma01 Waybac.1999.09.tfma02 Waybac.1999.09.tfma03 Waybac.1999.09.tfma04 Waybac.1999.11.amgs01 Waybac.1999.11.amgs02 Waybac.1999.11.amgs03 Waybac.1999.11.amgs04 Waybac.1999.12.afcoms01 Waybac.1999.12.afcoms02 Waybac.1999.12.afcoms03 Waybac.1999.12.afcoms04 Waybac.1999.12.afsc01 Waybac.1999.12.afsc02 Waybac.1999.12.afsc03 Waybac.1999.12.afsc04 Waybac.1999.12.cas01 Waybac.1999.12.cas02 Waybac.1999.03.cas03 Waybac.1999.12.cas04 Waybac.1999.12.momss01 Waybac.1999.12.momss02 Waybac.1999.12.momss03 Waybac.1999.12.momss04 Waybac.2000.05.add1 Waybac.2000.05.add2 Waybac.2000.05.add3 Waybac.2000.05.add4 Waybac.2000.05.add5 Waybac.2000.05.afar1 Waybac.2000.05.afar2 Waybac.2000.05.afar3 Waybac.2000.05.afar4 Waybac.2000.05.afdtd1 Waybac.2000.05.afdtd2 Waybac.2000.05.afdtd3 Waybac.2000.05.afdtd4 Waybac.2000.05.afdtd5 Waybac.2000.05.afdtd6 Waybac.2000.05.afdtd7 Waybac.2000.05.afdtd8 Waybac.2000.05.afdtd9 Waybac.2000.05.afdtd10 Waybac.2000.05.afgss1 Waybac.2000.05.afgss2 Waybac.2000.05.afgss3 Waybac.2000.05.afgss4 Waybac.2000.05.afgss5 Waybac.2000.05.afgss6 Waybac.2000.05.ammal1 Waybac.2000.05.ammal2

We finally have a Shit that Luke Says entry – although it was Abby that had the quote of the week this time. While we were changing her tire, I told her she would need to get it patched the next morning. She said, “Can’t you just do it?” I said no, that I had to work and that she would need to do it. She asked, “Who’s going to pay for it?” I said it would only be about $10 and she said, “I didn’t put the screw in my tire, why should I pay for it?” I asked her who should pay for it and she quipped, “Whoever put that screw in the road!” I don’t think she was thinking straight at that point…LOL

And we end with our video section which includes one new home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

Well, that does it for this week’s entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Mom and think about you a lot at this time of year.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply