I’m an Over-Forty Victim of Fate…Arriving too Late

What happened to autumn? It felt more like winter much of the week. We had the coldest October weekend in about a decade. We had a couple frost warnings. In fact, we turned on the heat (I think I may have even suggested it on Tuesday night!) in a couple rooms. Drama, drama, drama… Luke had a full week of basketball and had some drama at school. Abby focused on dance and work while also having some drama at school. Matt stayed focused on his studies and also had a little drama at school. Ann & I put up with our typical amounts of drama at work…but that’s to be expected working in healthcare. Ann did a little better with her aching body (or perhaps the cold just masked the pain?) and I topped my workout goal again this week with 16 ½ miles. I also completed another trip around the sun this weekend…the last one before I get really old! Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
It rained all day and night on Monday. It was a much cooler day – only in the 50s. Luke had basketball practice after school and was thrilled to again make the A-team! Way to go, buddy. Abby worked at Dixon Dance after school then had class with Kuyhlia. Ann had another long day of meetings and trainings. I, too, had a long day at work then walked three-plus miles in the cold rain. Needless to say, I was soaked when I got home. That damp air must’ve taken it out of me as I fell asleep early that night.
Tuesday was colder, never getting out of the 40s. Luke had basketball practice after school. Abby was in early that morning for Student Council. She was pulled out of class to deal with some Pirateers drama during school that we weren’t real thrilled about. It definitely felt like winter today when I was out walking. Ann continued the trend of meetings and training as we both had fast days in Columbus which culminated with a brisk walk for only two and a half miles before Ann and I left early to head back home. It was one of the fastest paces of the week for me. In fact, my leg muscles felt great all week, out in the cold. When I say cold, I mean it was friggin’ cold and windy. I had to breakdown and grab a sweatshirt. We got dressed up at home where Trevin came over and rode to the high school with the three of us to support Abby at National Honor Society. The ceremony was very fast this year. We got some nice pictures and then celebrated both kids’ successes (Abby in NHS and Luke making the A-team) this week by going out for dinner at El Reparo. The World Series began that evening with a Dodger win at home. I was surprised at how many players on both teams that I didn’t know. Man, I’m old… I think we had a frost warning that night. Without having the house’s crawl space closed-up, the cold wind made it warmer in the garage than the living room – no joke! I used the bed warmer for the first time in over year; I just couldn’t get warm. Ann & I were quite the sight that night, huddled up on the couches with our dogs and blankets!

anhs17.00 anhs17.01 anhs17.02 anhs17.03 anhs17.04 anhs17.05 anhs17.06 anhs17.07 anhs17.08 anhs17.09 anhs17.10 anhs17.11 anhs17.12 anhs17.13 anhs17.14 anhs17.15 anhs17.16 anhs17.17 anhs17.19 anhs17.20 anhs17.21 anhs17.22 anhs17.23 anhs17.24 anhs17.25 anhs17.26 anhs17.27 anhs17.28 anhs17.29 anhs17.30 anhs17.31 anhs17.32 anhs17.33 anhs17.34 anhs17.35 anhs17.36 anhs17.37 anhs17.38 anhs17.39 anhs17.40 anhs17.41 anhs17.42 anhs17.43 anhs17.44 anhs17.45 anhs17.46 anhs17.47 anhs17.48 anhs17.49 anhs17.50 anhs17.51 anhs17.52 anhs17.53

The cold trend continued Wednesday morning as the wind blew many of the leaves off the trees. It’s amazing how many leaves fell today. Suddenly, everyone’s lawn is full of dead leaves! Luke had basketball practice after school. Abby worked at DDS after school then attended her weekly jazz & tap classes. Ann joined her at Dixon to do her Dance Mom thing while as picked out their costumes for competitions this spring. Ann enjoyed yet another day of more trainings and meetings. I had a fast day where I walked 4.2 miles on the coldest day yet. I worked on Gigi & Memaw’s new PC that evening but ran into a snag and called Gigi, who decided to scrap the computer. Bummer; I was looking forward to getting it up and running again after being dead for two years. We were saddened to hear that music legend Fats Domino passed away today. Houston beat LA in extra innings during game 2 that evening to tie the Series at 1-1.

lfp17.01 lfp17.02 lfp17.03 lfp17.04 lfp17.05 lfp17.06 lfp17.07 lfp17.08

Ann & the kids slept in on Thursday morning while I got up and went to work. I had to scrape frost off the vehicles and teased Dad B with a picture of what he was coming back to next weekend. Luke had basketball practice that afternoon. Abby had Pirateers practice. Ann attended parent / teacher conferences that morning where she learned that both kids made the A/B honor roll. Good job, kiddos! It was interesting to hear that the varsity coaches already know Luke’s name and are following his progress closely. It could be an interesting season next year. The kids enjoyed the day off from school. Luke ran around the neighborhood with his buddies while Abby got her nose pierced before working at DDS again that evening. Matt called me in a panic from school. He had driven to the elementary school just fine but when he came out to leave, his car was dead. We ran through some troubleshooting steps and found that he had accidentally left his lights on. We got him jumper cables as well as some emergency stuff to keep in his trunk years ago and he was able to quickly get back on his way – crisis averted! Ann only worked a few hours, which was consumed with, yep you guessed it, a meeting and a training. I had a fast day then walked about 3.5 miles. Justin gave us a dozen of his homegrown brown eggs, so Ann made breakfast for dinner! I love it when she does that… They were really good eggs. Even Luke liked them, and he’s not a huge egg guy. It was good to talk with Dad & Lynn earlier that morning and then Dad & Barb on the way home. I need to call them more often than I do. It was good catching up with them all and thanked them for the nice birthday cards. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis17.10.138 sis17.10.139 sis17.10.140 sis17.10.141 sis17.10.142 sis17.10.143 sis17.10.144 sis17.10.145 sis17.10.146 sis17.10.147 sis17.10.148 sis17.10.149 sis17.10.150 sis17.10.151 sis17.10.152 sis17.10.153 sis17.10.154 sis17.10.155 sis17.10.156 sis17.10.157 sis17.10.158 sis17.10.159 sis17.10.160 sis17.10.161 sis17.10.162 sis17.10.163 sis17.10.164 sis17.10.165 sis17.10.166 sis17.10.167 sis17.10.168 sis17.10.169 sis17.10.170 sis17.10.171 sis17.10.172 sis17.10.173 sis17.10.174 sis17.10.175 sis17.10.176 sis17.10.177 sis17.10.178 sis17.10.179 sis17.10.180 sis17.10.181 sis17.10.182 sis17.10.183 sis17.10.184 sis17.10.185 sis17.10.186 sis17.10.187 sis17.10.188 sis17.10.189 sis17.10.190 sis17.10.191 sis17.10.192 sis17.10.193

Friday was Robby’s 38th birthday. I wanted to talk to him, but he was sick as a dog, so we just talked over text. Luke had an incident at school where he got punched in the jaw. To my surprise, he turned the other cheek and walked away. I was proud of him, but secretly wouldn’t have blamed him if he had punched the guy back. Don’t tell him I said that… Because it happened so late in the day, he missed basketball practice. His face hurt for a while, but he was fine by the time we got home. Gma was beside herself, which surprised no one since he’s her “baby.” He went out and played with friends in the neighborhood until dark. Of course, it gets dark now pretty early. When we go through the time change next weekend, it will be dark REAL early. Abby worked at BWR that evening and ended up going to Trevin’s house until late. Matt stayed at school this weekend. I’m not sure if he picked up any hours at the moving company or not. It was yet another cold, wet day. My buddies at work took me out to eat for lunch for my birthday to Chicago Pizza. I got a ton of pepper flakes for my shakers as well as a couple bottles of hot sauce and a jar of jalapeno jam. I was able to get out and walk off our big lunch with a trek of 3+ miles in the bitterly cold rain (my cheeks were numb!). My legs felt great and I was prepared to tough it out for about 5 miles and push my total for the week up to 18 again, but I ended up cutting it short when my phone died, and I could no longer hear my tunes nor track my workout…besides, it was so cold that I was ready to call it a week and head home. I was soaked and cold to the bone on the ride home. The temps really dropped again that night, into the 30s…even I had the bed warmer on and the heat turned on a bit to at least take the chill out of the air. Ann made chicken lazone for dinner – yum! The varsity football team played in the second round of the Sectionals on a cold, wet night. We decided not to go because of the weather. We figured it was our last year of having this choice. For the next four years, we’ll be at every game and won’t have that luxury. Sadly, the boys ended their season that night with a three-possession loss to Lawrenceburg. But the future is bright for the young Pirates… We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp17.10.188 smp17.10.189 smp17.10.190 smp17.10.191 smp17.10.192 smp17.10.193 smp17.10.194 smp17.10.195 smp17.10.196 smp17.10.197 smp17.10.198 smp17.10.199 smp17.10.200 smp17.10.201 smp17.10.202 smp17.10.204 smp17.10.205 smp17.10.206 smp17.10.207 smp17.10.208 smp17.10.209 smp17.10.210 smp17.10.211 smp17.10.212 smp17.10.213 smp17.10.214 smp17.10.215 smp17.10.216 smp17.10.217 smp17.10.218 smp17.10.219 smp17.10.220 smp17.10.221 smp17.10.222 smp17.10.223 smp17.10.224 smp17.10.225 smp17.10.226 smp17.10.227 smp17.10.228 smp17.10.229 smp17.10.230 smp17.10.231 smp17.10.232 smp17.10.233 smp17.10.234 smp17.10.235

Saturday was another very cold day. I’m pretty sure it never even got out of the 30s. Luke had basketball practice where only three kids showed up on that cold morning. Abby worked at Wings again. Luke & I did our weekly outdoor chores and our annual winterizing outdoors on a bone-chilling day. I dropped off Lukey at practice and ran a few errands. It was spa day for Black Betty – oil change, car wash and gas fill-up with fuel injector cleaner. We drained the water from Betty White’s radiator and put in the antifreeze for the winter. Later, we mowed the backyard and put away the air conditioners and hoses. We closed-up the crawl spaces and then went to lunch at Taco Bell, where we waited for about 20 minutes. It seems they are perpetually under-staffed. I see that a lot anymore – where are all the people working?? Afterward we went HW hunting then Luke practiced driving Barney out in the country for about a half hour then drove us home. We had time for a quick nap then we headed over to Gma & Gigi’s for my 49th birthday party. We had Pizza King Cowboy pizza as well as cake and ice cream. I was stuffed; it was so good! We watched a few exciting college football games that evening – #6 Ohio St beat #2 Penn St by 1 point; IU almost pulled off an upset but lost by 3; Northwestern beat #16 Michigan St in triple OT; and then Purdue played Nebraska to end the evening. They looked good again, but it turned out to be another heartbreaking loss by 1 point with only a few seconds left. Ann met up with Farren that afternoon and picked up Abby’s senior pictures, which are amazing. She’s such a good photographer…and that flash drive is cool as hell! We’ll have those photos for you next week. We had another frost warning that night, but with the crawlspaces all winterized, the house was nice and toasty.

tbdp17.01 tbdp17.02 tbdp17.03 tbdp17.04 tbdp17.05 tbdp17.06 tbdp17.07

We enjoyed sleeping in on a cold Sunday. It never got out of the 30s again today. It was the third straight cold, damp and dark Sunday…perfect for staying inside and taking it easy. Abby worked at BWR again. Luke went out running in the neighborhood with Drew & his buddies. I had a nice breakfast of eggs, bacon and a Bloody Mary with my new siracha mix – yum! We eventually got motivated to start in on our weekly household chores and then settled in for a day of football, NASCAR races in Martinsville (love that short track racing – what exciting finishes!) & a few DVR’ed shows. The Colts lost a close one to the Bengals (Bryan & Angie were at the game). The Cowboys played their rivals, the Redskins and won a close, exciting game on a sloppy field. Drew Brees hit another milestone in his HoF career – completion #6,000! He is the fastest of the 3 QBs with that many (Manning & Favre) to reach that mark. Abby got off work, picked up Mary and ran to Columbus to go shopping. Luke & I ran to Mom & Sandy’s house for leftover pizza for lunch. Luke had Drew over late in the day and he stayed for dinner. The girls returned home safely, and Mary stayed for dinner as well. Ann made my favorite for meal (my annual birthday choice) – lasagna! It did not disappoint…I swear she gets better each year. Mary helped Abby fill out more college applications that night. We again wrapped up our evening by watching the Walking Dead / Talking Dead. What a great episode! It was another nice, relaxing way to wrap up the week before we start it all over again tomorrow. One final note – we send all our love to Ms. Phyllis tomorrow and look forward to seeing her back on her feet real soon. We love you!! 😊
Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature our young family at the turn of the century as we moved in to our new house. We lead off with a batch of pictures from Mom & Sandy which shows Mom & Dad O during the mid-fifties; then Dee & Chad, circa ’91 and an autographed picture of Jay Stutz from the Animal Planet show Good Dog U, who visited the Greensburg Animal Shelter in May 2009; then we move on to Matt’s bday party on Main St in March 2001; out to Matt’s t-ball game at the new YMCA in June 2001; up to LaPorte for fun on Pink Lake in August 2001 (thanks for the full moon, George!); back to the ‘Burg for Bu’s 2nd bday in our new Ryle home in September 2001; our first Christmas in our new home in December 2001; Abby’s first “real” haircut with Joann in February 2002; Matt playing soccer in April 2002; the Fair Parade from the back of Betty White on the WTRE grounds in July 2002; Matt at soccer camp with European players at Washington Field in August 2002; Abby’s third bday at Gma & Gigi’s on Main St with Gracie in September 2002; and finally Kimmy & Chuck’s wedding in Lafayette in September 2002.

Waybac.1955.mado.01 Waybac.1955.mado02 Waybac.1955.mado03 Waybac.1955.mado04 Waybac.1955.mado05 Waybac.1955.mado06 Waybac.1991,cadso91 Waybac.1999.jsdgu1 Waybac.2001.03.mbdcons01 Waybac.2001.06.mytbg01 Waybac.2001.06.mytbg02 Waybac.2001.06.mytbg03 Waybac.2001.06.mytbg04 Waybac.2001.08.lpvpl01 Waybac.2001.08.lpvpl02 Waybac.2001.08.lpvpl03 Waybac.2001.08.lpvpl04 Waybac.2001.09.abdpra01 Waybac.2001.09.abdpra02 Waybac.2001.09.abdpra03 Waybac.2001.09.abdpra04 Waybac.2001.12.cdord28 Waybac.2001.12.cdord29 Waybac.2001.12.cdord30 Waybac.2002.02.ahcaj02 Waybac.2002.02.ahcaj03 Waybac.2002.02.ahcaj04 Waybac.2002.02.ahcaj05 Waybac.2002.04.mys55 Waybac.2002.07.fp22 Waybac.2002.07.fp23 Waybac.2002.07.fp24 Waybac.2002.08.mscwf22 Waybac.2002.08.mscwf23 Waybac.2002.08.mscwf24 Waybac.2002.08.mscwf25 Waybac.2002.09.agci01 Waybac.2002.09.agci02 Waybac.2002.09.agci03 Waybac.2002.09.agci04 Waybac.2002.09.kcw01 Waybac.2002.09.kcw02 Waybac.2002.09.kcw04 Waybac2002.09.kcw03

Finally, we have our video segment which contains only one new family movie from this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks as always for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss you, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply