To Catch my Breath, Before I Start off Again

We enjoyed another slower week, here at the Scheu household. We’ve got one more week before things really start to pick-up around here again, so we are enjoying the calm before the storm. Speaking of storms, it was another rainy week. We didn’t see the sun much at all this week, which didn’t help – given the week that Ann & I had at work. Abby spent the week studying, dancing and working. Luke continued to practice basketball with the A team and hang out with his buddies in the neighborhood. Matt stayed up at school and focused on studying and student teaching at a local elementary school. Ann and her company finally made their big computer system change…and oh boy, was it rough. We struggled with the lability of our residents as we continue to see a change in the type of client that needs our services and large amounts of property damage. On a more positive note, I did manage to walk over 18 ½ miles – my single largest weekly output this year! Also, Ms. Phyllis is on the mend and will hopefully be out of the hospital (or nearly out) by the time she reads this entry! We love you and are thinking of you, Phyllis!!
It was a cold, wet, dreary start to the week on Monday morning. It was grudgingly back to work and school. Luke returned to basketball practice after school and Abby drove over to Columbus for her doctor appointment. Ann & I both had fast day. I walked only about 2 ½ miles after work on cold, rainy afternoon then, by chance, followed Abby home (what are the odds we’d both be heading back home at the same exact time?). The three of us went to her soccer banquet where we enjoyed a fried chicken dinner pitch-in and Abs received some accolades, including 2 Players of the Game awards, her first Varsity letter and Academic All-State honors! Way to go, Bu! Afterward, she went on to Dixon Dance Studio to work and then had class with Kuyhlia. The talk in the office was of the World Series game last night. And wow – what a game it was – maybe the best baseball game I’ve ever watched: 7 homers, extra innings and a walk-off ending to an amazing game as Houston took a 3-2 lead by winning 13-12!

asb17.00 asb17.01 asb17.02 asb17.03 asb17.04 asb17.05 asb17.06 asb17.08 asb17.09 asb17.10 asb17.11 asb17.12 asb17.13 asb17.14 asb17.15 asb17.16

Tuesday was Halloween. It was a long day at work for Ann & I. It was another cold start with frost on windshields and never got much warmer than 40. I do have to say that we briefly saw the sun finally during my nightly walk. I got in 3+ miles after work. Luke again had basketball practice. Abby worked at Buffalo Wings & Rings. Luke ended up going trick-or-treating with his buddies around the three neighborhoods out here. Meanwhile, Ann & I handed out candy – we got back from work about an hour after the start of the annual event. The neighborhood was already full of little ghouls and goblins. Still, we saw about 100 or so kids…whereas Mom & Sandy had about 700!! Luke & I eventually kept our tradition alive by playing catch with the football out front while passing out candy towards the end of the night. He enjoyed scaring the kids with a mask he borrowed from his friend. It freaked out more than one little kid! We came in and watched the Rob Zombie-directed Halloween remake from 2007. After that we watched It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. I flipped over to Sports Center to watch highlights from the World Series and sure enough – the Dodgers won to force a game 7! Here are some random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis17.11.00 sis17.11.01 sis17.11.02 sis17.11.03 sis17.11.04 sis17.11.05 sis17.11.06 sis17.11.07 sis17.11.08 sis17.11.09 sis17.11.10 sis17.11.11 sis17.11.12 sis17.11.13 sis17.11.14 sis17.11.15 sis17.11.16 sis17.11.17 sis17.11.18 sis17.11.19 sis17.11.20 sis17.11.21 sis17.11.22 sis17.11.23 sis17.11.24 sis17.11.25 sis17.11.26

The first day of November was cold and wet. We saw our first wintery mix on the way in to work today. Ann finally had her long-awaited computer go-live day…and even with all the preparation, they still had several issues, which is to be expected. I had another fast day then walked 3+ miles in the cold rain…and were those flakes I saw, scattered in there?? Ann went out with her scrapbooking friends for drinks and dinner at BWR after work. Luke had basketball then turned in early, tuckered-out after the long day yesterday. Abby was in early for Pirateers then gave blood at school. Later, she worked at DDS afterwards then stuck around to attend jazz and tap classes. We watched most of the World Series game 7, but it was over early as the ’Stros won their first title in team history. It was a feel-good story for the flood-ravaged Houston area. George Springer was named MVP after having a monster series – he tied the record (5) for homers and broke the record (29) for total bases. Both records were previously held by the great Reggie “Mr. October” Jackson during his incredible 1977 series.
Thursday was warmer and very humid. It was overcast all day but climbed into the 60s…what a difference from the start of the week. Luke had a good basketball practice then ran around with neighborhood buddies until dark. Abby worked at the dance studio again after school. Ann had a long day of chasing down issues with her new EMR. I had a very busy day then walked another 3+ miles.
We enjoyed a perfect fall day on Friday. It was again warm and in the 60s with lots of sun. It was yet another long day for both Ann & I at work. She continued to shake out the bugs of her new EMR and I dealt with yet another state inspection. Justin made the day brighter by bringing in a big bowl of his deer chili, which made it bearable. It was such a gorgeous afternoon / evening that I just kept walking until it started to get dark and ended up with over 6 miles after work. Abby had a good day at school then work at Wings & Rings. Luke, who earlier in the week was cleared of any wrong-doing in last week’s skirmish in gym class, had a fast day at school and basketball practice again that day. He ended up over at a buddy’s house until after dark. Ann & I were so worn out from our weeks that we both ended up falling asleep early, watching our DVR’ed shows on the big screen. Here are Abby’s long-awaited senior pictures.

asp17.00 arsp17.01 arsp17.02 arsp17.03 arsp17.04 arsp17.05 arsp17.06 asp17.07 asp17.08 asp17.09 asp17.10 asp17.11 asp17.12 asp17.13 asp17.14 asp17.15 asp17.16 asp17.17 asp17.18 asp17.19 asp17.20 asp17.21 asp17.22 asp17.23 asp17.24 asp17.25 asp17.26 asp17.27 asp17.28 asp17.29 asp17.30 asp17.31 asp17.32 asp17.33 asp17.34 asp17.35 asp17.36 asp17.37 asp17.38 asp17.39 asp17.40 asp17.41

I was up early with the damn dogs on Saturday morning, so I went ahead and stayed up to write out the bills. Abby got up early as well and went to Columbus with her friend Kevin to re-take the SAT test. It was a big day for our Bryan-side of the family with Dena-Marie’s marriage. She is the last of my cousins on that side to tie the knot. Ann stayed home to wait for Abs to get back before heading north a couple hours. Meanwhile Luke & I got cleaned-up and headed to the U Indy campus to pick-up Matt at his apartment. We had about a half hour to spare, so we went around the corner to grab lunch at Joe’s Shelby Street Diner. Luke ordered the 14 oz. tenderloin that is advertised as, “bigger than your face!” I ended up with the 1-lb burger. It was amazing… They have a challenge where if you eat two of these burgers and a pound of fries within 45 minutes, you get your meal for free, get your picture on the Wall of Fame and even get a trophy! We didn’t have enough time for that today, but I am interested in taking that challenge the next time – if Ann will let me! I can do that standing on my head! They were packed and it took them too long for us to eat it at the bar where we were sitting, so we got it to go and ate it on the way up to Wasatch Lake for Dena-Marie & Zach’s wedding. That area in Clay County, just outside the small ‘burg of Poland, IN reminded me so much of Wisconsin. It was absolutely beautiful out there! We eventually found our way to the correct place and met up with Dad & Lynn, who made it in from New Jersey. They stayed at Aunt Sharon’s house in Kokomo the day before and will be there through the weekend. We were glad to see Aunt Sharon, Katie, Reece, Uncle Vird & Aunt Belinda as well as the lovely bride. Unfortunately, the ceremony had to be moved indoors to the hunting lodge. They had to be creative with the sheer curtains to hide all the stuffed animals! 😊 But they really didn’t have a choice due to the wet weather and soggy ground. Still, it was an intimate, quick ceremony that was a lot of fun and not so formal…it was cool. We then moved to the back of the lodge for the reception, which was a mix of dancing and food. Uncle Vird had planned to sing a song but instead read a poem that was very well written and heart-felt. There were several misty eyes in the crowd. Dad took us boys out for a ride in one of the rented golf carts, where we met a friend of Vird’s. He worked on the Lafayette police force at the end of Grandpaw Brown’s time on the job. There isn’t supposed to be any motorized vehicles out there, but Dad & Vird got special permission. It is a very neat area but there is no cell phone coverage out there in the boondocks, which made things interesting. Abs missed a Pirateers performance that night to drive Ann up to join us just as dinner was served. It was a Spanish-based meal which included salad w/ Mexican caviar, chips & pico de gallo, both pollo & asada soft tacos, as well as corn tamales and beef tamales. We enjoyed lots of different spirits, had red velvet cake, caught up with the family and played a few games of pool. They had a live band that was an enjoyable power trio. I would’ve loved to stick around to hear them play their second set. It had been too long since we caught up with the Bryan family and had to call it a night way too soon in order to get Matt back to school so he could rest up for an early class in the morning. We wanted to give a big thanks to Ms. Lynn for the beach plum jam! The girls went on home while Luke & I took Matt back to school before heading our way home too. We got back to town and we heard one of the rear tires start making a loud noise. I knew right away that it was a tire going down, since we’ve been down that road before with this car. It eats rear tires. By the time we got pulled over in the Walmart parking lot, it was completely flat and on the rim. So even though we were tired from driving 2 ½ hours, we had to spend another half hour changing the damn tire. I decided I was too old to be doing this shit. I was so winded when we finished. Thanks to Luke for his help as we got it changed and went in to do some shopping and headed home. By the time we got the car unloaded and got everything put away, we were pooped and ready for bed. What a day… We will have pictures and videos from today’s big event next week. We do have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp17.11.00 smp17.11.01 smp17.11.02 smp17.11.03 smp17.11.04 smp17.11.05 smp17.11.06 smp17.11.07 smp17.11.08 smp17.11.09 smp17.11.10 smp17.11.11 smp17.11.12 smp17.11.13 smp17.11.14 smp17.11.15 smp17.11.16 smp17.11.17 smp17.11.18 smp17.11.19 smp17.11.20 smp17.11.21 smp17.11.22 smp17.11.23 smp17.11.24 smp17.11.25 smp17.11.26 smp17.11.27 smp17.11.28 smp17.11.29 smp17.11.30 smp17.11.31 smp17.11.32 smp17.11.33 smp17.11.34 smp17.11.35 smp17.11.36 smp17.11.37 smp17.11.38 smp17.11.39 smp17.11.40 smp17.11.41 smp17.11.42 smp17.11.43 smp17.11.44

We really enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. We were thankful for gaining the extra hour from “falling back” due to Daylight Savings Time. It was the fourth-straight dark, damp, gloomy and wet end to the week. We had severe weather threats all day and had a couple thunderstorms roll through the area. Ann got up and made us a big breakfast that really hit the spot. Abby spent all day at work at BWR again. I eventually got up and did a few errands around the house then got on to the weekly household chores. Luke & I watched the season 4 premier of the Curse of Oak Island and then spent the rest of the afternoon watching spots. We started by watching yesterday’s Purdue / Illinois Cannon Game – Purdue brought the cannon home but lost their starting QB Blough to a likely season-ending leg injury. We watched the Colts win a big game, fast-forwarded through the taped NASCAR races from this weekend and then watched the big Cowboys / Chiefs game. It was very exciting, but Dallas pulled out the win. It was an important victory since Zeke’s future is questionable and both Bryant and Williams had ankle injuries in the 4th quarter of the game and they could be without all three of them next week. We ended the week again with another exciting episode of The Walking Dead during yet another round of storms, which was the perfect way to wrap up our week. Earlier today, we found out that Thanxmas will be returning this year as Keith & Rosie will be here in November but not December…so that will be fun!
Next, we have our Waybac segment, which continues to feature our young family’s next three yearbooks as well as a few goodies from Mom & Sandy. We lead off this week with more from that magical 1955 Greensburg High yearbook with Dad O and the Science Club; nest we have a few of Gigi – a school picture from the 60s (?), a classic with Chris in ’73; another of Gigi (maybe in college?) in the 70s; Kenny and his family, circa late 70s; and another classic…this time from approximately the mid-90s with Dave, Sandy & Santa; next we move out to the new YMCA t-ball field to see Matt in action in June 2001; next we have Abby’s second birthday and first one in the Ryle home in September 2001; then we go to the backyard and then out to the park in September 2001; then we come home for our first Ryle Christmas in December 2001; next is Matt’s 6th bday parties in March 2002 – first at home with family then at the bowling alley with friends; then we head out to the baseball complex for Matt’s baseball game in May 2002 with him playing catcher; next we go over to Washington Fields for Matt’s soccer camp with a group of players that came over from Europe in August 2008; Nathan dancing with Aunt Sharon at his & Steph’s wedding (wish we could’ve seen those two characters yesterdays) in Kokomo in August 2002; and finally we have a couple silly pictures of Abby at her 3rd birthday party at Gma & Gigi’s house in September 2002.

Waybac.1955.gyb42 Waybac.1955.gyb43 Waybac.1955.gyb44 Waybac.1968.sbjh Waybac.1973.gwcb1 Waybac.1977.sbsp Waybac.1979. Waybac.1996.dass1 Waybac.1996.dass2 Waybac.2001.06.mytbg05 Waybac.2001.06.mytbg06 Waybac.2001.06.mytbg07 Waybac.2001.06.mytbg08 Waybac.2001.09.abdpor01 Waybac.2001.09.abdpor02 Waybac.2001.09.abdpor03 Waybac.2001.09.abdpor04 Waybac.2001.09.olsh1 Waybac.2001.09.olsh2 Waybac.2001.09.olsh3 Waybac.2001.09.olsh4 Waybac.2001.12.fcdor20 Waybac.2001.12.fcdor21 Waybac.2001.12.fcdor22 Waybac.2001.12.fcdor23 Waybac.2002.03.mrbdp01 Waybac.2002.03.mrbdp02 Waybac.2002.03.mrbdp03 Waybac.2002.03.mrbdp04 Waybac.2002.03.msbdba20 Waybac.2002.03.msbdba21 Waybac.2002.03.msbdba22 Waybac.2002.03.msbdba23 Waybac.2002.05.mbbm01 Waybac.2002.05.mbbm02 Waybac.2002.05.mbbm03 Waybac.2002.05.mbbm04 Waybac.2002.08.mscwf44 Waybac.2002.08.mscwf45 Waybac.2002.08.mscwf46 Waybac.2002.08.mscwf47 Waybac.2002.08.nasw01 Waybac.2002.08.nasw02 Waybac.2002.09.agci05 Waybac.2002.09.agci06

Next up is our video section which includes one new family movie this week as well as several other from around the internet.

Well that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss you, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply