Wondering Where my Life is Leadin…’

Change is in the air, here at the Scheu abode. Matt is back at school, student-teaching and loving every minute of it. His mom and I are so happy for him. He has truly found the right path for himself. We made a ton of progress towards getting Abby ready to go to college in a couple weeks as she continued to work and spend time with her friends during what she will look back on and say was one of the best summers of her life. I know it was for me…18 and out of school, attending concerts, working with 100% expendable income, lots of apprehension for the unknown as college was just over the horizon…and all of life still ahead as the next phase begins. We’re excited for Abby but sad that our little girl is another year closer to leaving the nest for good. Luke is officially a high schooler now as his classes began this week. His football team is much smaller than in years past (although that’s something that Bryan & I dealt with for years in the youth league) and could give him some opportunities he might not have had in other years. We’ve very excited for him. It’s been a week full of optimism for the near future for all our kids. Ann is finally getting tired of her knees holding her back and may be headed towards moving forward with surgery. I was on again / off again with my keto diet but did meet my exercise goals, logging nineteen miles this week in the heat and humidity. Although the kids are all becoming more and more independent, at least it’s finally football season! Hello again and welcome to the latest edition of the Scheu Family Blog.

After storming overnight, Monday morning was equally wet as it continued to storm on and off all day. It was Matt’s first day at Fishback Elementary. It was just a staff day, so he got to meet several of the teachers and administration. His commute turned out to be an easy one, as it only took 14 minutes. What a small world we live in – the teacher with whom he’s working with is married to one of Ann’s coworkers at CRH! He called and talked to Ann & I; he loved the first day and sounded very excited on the phone about the kids joining the classroom milieu tomorrow. The teachers all sounded very nice and invited him to come to their classrooms at any time to observe – we are so proud and happy for him! Abby worked 1st shift at Wings & Rings then drove over to Columbus to meet up with Ann & I. We had fast days at work in Columbus – Ann’s was full of meetings while I endured the first day of my monthly EOC rounds, getting in over 10K steps. I visited Jami at Innovations to get my ears lowered. It continued to rain after work so I walked in the mall where they had lost their air conditioning. Still, it was better than being soaked! It was sad to see that even more stores were closed, though granted some of it was due to the A/C being off, I think. In fact, there were only 7 stores open – including the empty arcade. An even scarier observation – there were more mall walkers than employees…and there were more employees than customers – sad… Luke enjoyed his penultimate day of summer break by sleeping in and then had football practice that evening. Thank you to Memaw for being the taxi cab all week! When Bu met us in Columbus, we took her to Best Buy to pick out a laptop and microwave as we continue to inch closer to her move-in day at FC. That evening, Keith, Rosie & Megan came to town for an extended visit. They stayed at Mom & Sandy’s house this week. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

lp18.08.01 sis18.08.01 sis18.08.02 sis18.08.03 sis18.08.04 sis18.08.05 sis18.08.06 sis18.08.07 sis18.08.08 sis18.08.09 sis18.08.10 sis18.08.11 sis18.08.12 sis18.08.13 sis18.08.14 sis18.08.15 sis18.08.16 sis18.08.17 sis18.08.18 sis18.08.19 sis18.08.20 sis18.08.21 sis18.08.22 sis18.08.23 sis18.08.24 sis18.08.25 sis18.08.26 sis18.08.27 sis18.08.28 sis18.08.29 sis18.08.30 sis18.08.31 sis18.08.32 sis18.08.33 sis18.08.34 sis18.08.35 sis18.08.36 sis18.08.37 sis18.08.38 sis18.08.39 sis18.08.40

Tuesday was Matt’s first official day of teaching with kids in the classroom…and he absolutely loved it! He was exhausted, but he thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Abby worked at BWR again. Luke was saddened as his final day of summer break flew by (it always does, buddy) and then went to football practice that evening. Ann & I again had busy days at work. I was on my feet all day for my 2nd day of EOC rounds while it stormed. It stopped just as I went out to walk a 5K, only getting wet for about 10 minutes and again getting in over 10K steps. We left Columbus early so Ann could make food for a pitch-in at Mom & Sandy’s house that evening. She made bacon-wrapped brussels sprouts and corn dip – yum! Trevin met us over there and we had a nice dinner with Mom & Sandy, Dee & Jamie and Keith, Rosie & Megan. We were stuffed from all the goodies – cold cut sandwiches, Gigi’s sausage balls, Rosie’s bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, Jamie’s baked beans, Dee’s corn casserole, Mom’s homemade mac & cheese, and Ann’s dishes that we brought – there goes my diet again! Afterward, we visited and a big game of Cards Against Humanity broke out for a couple hours before we called it a night…

Luke was up early on Wednesday for his first day of school. Our baby is officially a high school student now! Damn, we’re old… He enjoyed his first day at the new school then attended football practice afterward. Abby slept in then went croc shopping with Gigi, Rosie & Megan then went to dinner. Matt had another good – but very long – day teaching in Zionsville. Welcome to working with kids, buddy! Ann had a long day as well, going out to lunch with a friend then staying late to get her new doc ready for her first day of patients tomorrow. I had another long day at work as well with inventory and ordering nursing supplies, teaching an orientation class with Justin, meeting with a corporate visitor, helping Justin purchase and move a desk for his new supervisor and then walked a 5K afterward on a very hot day. Abby went to Trevin’s for the night and the three of us all fell asleep before ten o’clock and went to bed, worn out from our long days. Here are more random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis18.08.41 sis18.08.42 sis18.08.43 sis18.08.44 sis18.08.45 sis18.08.46 sis18.08.47 sis18.08.48 sis18.08.49 sis18.08.50 sis18.08.51 sis18.08.52 sis18.08.53 sis18.08.54 sis18.08.55 sis18.08.56 sis18.08.57 sis18.08.58 sis18.08.59 sis18.08.60 sis18.08.61 sis18.08.62 sis18.08.63 sis18.08.64 sis18.08.65 sis18.08.66 sis18.08.67 sis18.08.68 sis18.08.69 sis18.08.70 sis18.08.71 sis18.08.72 sis18.08.73 sis18.08.74 sis18.08.75 sis18.08.76 sis18.08.77 sis18.08.78 sis18.08.79

Ann & I were up early and out the door so she could be there early when her new doc started at 7 am in Columbus. That meant Luke had to get up early to ensure he was ready for Miss Mary when she came to pick him up for school. We just knew for sure he would go back to sleep once we left…but to our surprise, he stayed up and was ready to go when his ride arrived. Good job, buddy. Matt had another good day of student-teaching in Zionsville. Katie & Jake haven’t kicked him out yet, so that’s a good sign – LOL! Abby eventually came home then worked at BWR before driving to Columbus to go shopping with Regan & Julia. Luke had an uneventful second day of high school then had football practice until late. Ann & I had loooong days at work. Justin & I went out to see the land he and his wife just purchased and check out the progress on his new house that they’re building then we went to lunch at Arni’s. I walked a 5K after work on a very hot day near 90 with a heat index above 100. That evening, we went to Mom & Sandy’s house for dinner and visit with Keith & Rosie before they left. What is a K & R visit without a big Pizza King pizza party?!

Luke went in to school early with Mary as he joined Jr Optimist Club with her. Abby met up with Megan and Brittney and they drove up to Deer Creek in Noblesville to see the Zac Brown Band that night. It was a hot day over 90 with the humidity kicking. The sun was very hot that day. Matt finished up his first week of teaching. Ann worked a half day then completed all the student loan stuff for Matt & Abby. I had a fast day then walked a 5K on a hot afternoon that left me super sweaty by the time I got back home. Luke had football practice that night. Ann made her delicious cheesy chicken & broccoli rice casserole (mine was keto-friendly, made with cauliflower rice). We had to work hard not to eat all of it! Luke ended up going out in the neighborhood to spend time with his buddies until late. Ann & I watched some TV on the big screen and enjoyed the A/C. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp18.08.01 smp18.08.02 smp18.08.03 smp18.08.04 smp18.08.05 smp18.08.06 smp18.08.07 smp18.08.08 smp18.08.09 smp18.08.10 smp18.08.11 smp18.08.12 smp18.08.13 smp18.08.14 smp18.08.15 smp18.08.16 smp18.08.17 smp18.08.18 smp18.08.19 smp18.08.20 smp18.08.21 smp18.08.22 smp18.08.23 smp18.08.24 smp18.08.25 smp18.08.26 smp18.08.27 smp18.08.28 smp18.08.29 smp18.08.30 smp18.08.31

We were up early on Saturday morning to run Luke out to the high school. He had his concussion baseline test that morning then prepped for the annual Blue & White game. Usually the varsity plays last, but today they actually played first. It was so freaking hot out there on those aluminum bleachers with the sun beating down on us as well as reflecting back up on us. We were a sweaty mess just sitting in the stands. We felt bad for the boys. The game wasn’t very entertaining this year. The numbers are significantly down and the team had maybe 30 boys dressed for today’s event. So they ended up just wearing the practice jerseys and having the varsity go against the scout teams, as they do in normal practices. At the end, they did run a few “young defense” and “young offense” He played outside linebacker on scout defense and started at middle linebacker in Young D. He played fullback, flanker and tight end on scout offense as well as started at fullback on Young O. He was in on 10 tackles on defense all told and carried the ball a total of 6 times for about 35 yards and a fumble at the very end of the event. He stayed late for the annual cookie dough fund raiser after the scrimmage while the youth teams and junior high teams scrimmaged throughout the day. Ann came with me to the game then she & Abby went to Trafalgar to spend the day on Lamb Lake. They had a blast and ended up staying the night with Megan & Julie. Mom & Sandy came to watch Luke today but parked over by the practice field and watched from the comfort of the Escape. Luke & I grabbed a quick bite to eat at Wendy’s then mowed at home before driving over to Mom & Sandy’s to mow as well. We were so sweaty when finally got home to clean up. Mom & Sandy ended up coming over to visit with Luke & I for a while and bring us a huge watermelon. After he & I took quick naps, we made a run for the border (that boy is going to turn in to a taco one day). He did a good job of driving both Betty White and Black Betty today. He is starting to really talk and think about getting his learner’s permit. When we got home, he ran around the neighborhood until late while I watched the Xfinity race (it was cool when they raced in the rain), the NFL HOF ceremony (loved Ray Lewis’ speech) and the UFC 227 event (great fights, especially the two title bouts with Mighty Mouse losing his belt to The Messenger and TJ knocking out Cody again!).

I slept great that night and enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. I eventually got around to doing our weekly household chores. The girls came home and Abby was here long enough to shower and head out for a double shift at Wings & Rings, where she got to be server. I hope she made lots of tips! Luke slept in until after noon then cleaned his room and ran around the neighborhood. Ann was worn-out from all the activity on the lake yesterday and napped most of the day. Later, Bryan & Angie had us out to the Sunken Boat Bar. Ann, however, couldn’t break suction with the recliner and didn’t make it out there with Luke & I. We met with the Messers, the Bainbridges and the Havilands. We swam in the pond for hours, ate some burgers & dogs on the grill (Shawn brought some great beef and some hot jalapenos from his garden) and of course enjoyed a few cold brews while we floated in the water and a couple bourbons when we finally made it back on to the land. Luke did a great job of driving us out and back in the old pickup. That night we watched the Watkins Glenn cup race (love those road courses) – very cool to see Chase Elliott win his first race – then called it a night.

Next up is our Waybac segment which continues to feature pictures from our #16 photo album. We lead off this time at Vird & Belinda’s house for the Bryan family Christmas in December 2002; then we head to the old Indianapolis Hoosier Dome for Monster Jam in January 2003; Matt wrestling practice at the Fieldhouse in February 2003; Matt’s birthday party at our home in March 2003; Luke’s first couple days of life in June 2003; Ann’s baby shower with her girls from the office in June 2003; our annual Fourth of July party in July 2003; Abby’s fourth birthday at our house in September 2003; Danny’s fiftieth birthday bash in November 2003; and Christmas Eve at our home in December 2003.

Waybac.2002.12.bfc60 Waybac.2003.01.mj17 Waybac.2003.01.mj18 Waybac.2003.01.mj19 Waybac.2003.01.mj20 Waybac.2003.02.mw16 Waybac.2003.02.mw17 Waybac.2003.02.mw18 Waybac.2003.02.mw19 Waybac.2003.03.mbd12 Waybac.2003.03.mbd13 Waybac.2003.03.mbd14 Waybac.2003.06.lb17 Waybac.2003.06.lb18 Waybac.2003.06.lb19 Waybac.2003.06.lb20 Waybac.2003.06.lbs01 Waybac.2003.06.lbs02 Waybac.2003.06.lbs03 Waybac.2003.06.lbs04 Waybac.2003.07.fojp17 Waybac.2003.07.fojp18 Waybac.2003.07.fojp19 Waybac.2003.07.fojp20 Waybac.2003.09.abd17 Waybac.2003.09.abd18 Waybac.2003.09.abd20 Waybac.2003.09.abd21 Waybac.2003.11.dobd04 Waybac.2003.11.dobd05 Waybac.2003.11.dobd06 Waybac.2003.11.lbab01 Waybac.2003.12.ofce05 Waybac.2003.12.ofce06 Waybac.2003.12.ofce07 Waybac.2003.12.ofce08

We end this entry with our video segment which features one new home movie from this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply