Around Ninety-Five…Rockin’ and Rollin’ in Overdrive

It was sure a hot week – ninety degrees with the heat index over 95 every day – making it hard to walk in the afternoons. Besides the deafening sounds of cicadas, locusts and katydids, we began seeing a few insects for the first time this year – namely butterflies, crickets and grasshoppers – while exercising this week. Matt had a full week of student-teaching – tiring but loving every minute of it. Abby worked fulltime and started prepping to leave for school by getting things done that she’d been putting off until the summer was over – getting her car aligned, sending-out Thank You notes, cleaning her room, and registering for sorority rush. Luke enjoyed his first full week of high school and focused-in on football. Ann fought off knee pain and headaches while finding time to spend with friends and family outside of the house. I walked about 19 miles and worked harder on my diet, losing a couple pounds finally as I prep for my six-month checkup in a few weeks. Hello again and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work and school on Monday. Matt commuted from Katie & Jake’s house in Zionsville to the elementary school. Abby worked at Wings & Rings then she and Regan cleaned her room! Gasp! Luke rode to school with Mary then went to football practice and Memaw brought him home. Luke said he saw some reps on varsity offense, which is encouraging news. He says that one of the older boys will be wearing #32 this year – so we’ll have to get used to seeing him in in this new jersey number – 21. When he returned home that evening, he had cookies in tote for everyone from Gma! I walked 5K in 95° weather that evening that left me exhausted and drenched by the time I got back to the car. It was leftover night at the house as we watched our DVR’ed shows in the A/C on the big screen until we both fell asleep. Here are pictures from Abby & Ann’s visit to Lamb Lake last weekend.

lp18.08.02 aall18.01 aall18.02 aall18.03 aall18.04 aall18.05 aall18.06 aall18.07 aall18.08 aall18.09 aall18.10 aall18.11 aall18.12 aall18.13 aall18.16 aall18.17 aall18.18 aall18.19 aall18.20

It stormed overnight as well as on and off all of Tuesday morning. Luke had school and then football. Abby worked the early shift at BWR then spent the night at Trevin’s house. Matt taught at Fishback elementary. Ann & I had fast days at work then I walked a 5K again on another warm afternoon. Old Black Betty was having a senior moment when I first started her after my workout. Thankfully she was able to work herself out of it by the time we got home. We hope she won’t have any more trouble like that – she was shaking and smoking and smelled heavily like gasoline – weird! Ann made baked chicken, au gratin potatoes and cheesy broccoli for dinner – yum! Luke said he practiced a little with the varsity again then he ran around the neighborhood with his buddies until bedtime.

Wednesday was another hot, humid and sunny day – possibly the hottest of the week. Matt enjoyed teaching up north. Abby had a doctor appointment in Columbus and met up with Ann for lunch. She had to work at BWR that night. Luke was in early to school for Spirit Club with Mary then stayed late for football practice. Ann & I both had long days at work then I walked an especially sweaty 5K afterward. The sun is so hot this time of year. Black Betty did better today. We used the little tool at work to read the check engine light. The code read that it was an issue with a misfire- either a spark plug or injector issue. So, for now we’ll keep an eye on it before calling Jerry. That evening, Ann went out to dinner for a girls’ night out with her scrapbooking friends at Pizza King – much to Abby’s chagrin (she wanted them to come out and see her as she was working as a server that evening). Here are pictures of Luke playing in last week’s Blue / White game.

lfbwg18.01 lfbwg18.02 lfbwg18.03 lfbwg18.04 lfbwg18.05 lfbwg18.06 lfbwg18.07 lfbwg18.08 lfbwg18.09 lfbwg18.10 lfbwg18.11 lfbwg18.12 lfbwg18.13 lfbwg18.14 lfbwg18.15 lfbwg18.16 lfbwg18.17 lfbwg18.18 lfbwg18.19 lfbwg18.20 lfbwg18.21 lfbwg18.22 lfbwg18.23 lfbwg18.24 lfbwg18.25 lfbwg18.26 lfbwg18.27 lfbwg18.28 lfbwg18.29 lfbwg18.30 lfbwg18.31 lfbwg18.32 lfbwg18.33 lfbwg18.34 lfbwg18.35

Heavy fog made the commute to Columbus interesting on Thursday morning. Black Betty had another good day. Matt taught in Z’ville. Abby slept in then worked 2nd shift at BWR before staying the night at the White’s. Luke had a good day at school then a sweaty football practice. We had to throw his clothes in the washer when he got home so they wouldn’t stink up the house! Ann & I enjoyed fast days at work then I walked another 5K before leaving Columbus. We had a quiet night and Ann fell asleep early as we watched the Colts first pre-season game (they beat the Seahawks) and I worked on my music library for my phone.

Friday morning came early as I was up a little late last night. Matt wrapped up another week of teaching. Abby worked at Buffalo Wings & Rings that morning. Luke had school then Memaw brought him his traditional Jimmy Johns sandwich before he had to catch the bus for his football game that night. Ann had a fast day then ran some errands before going to a wine-tasting fund-raiser with Amy, Mom & Sandy. I had a long day then walked another 5K before Abby met me at work to bring me a clean shirt for the game that night. We ended up going out to dinner at one of her favorite restaurants – Ruby Tuesday. Afterward, I drove to Trafalgar where I watched Luke and the Pirates face Indian Creek in their final scrimmage of the pre-season. It was strange not having Bryan by my side at the football game. It was the first time that I watched Luke play without Bryan in a very long time – if ever? He & Angie’s absence stuck-out like a sore thumb, given that the rest of our friend group was there – Shawn & Aly, Bob & Pam, even Alan & Kristy. We were supposed to be tailgating in the RV for the next two years with this crew… What a bummer that Drew decided to play tennis. WTH, man?! At the scrimmage, Luke did not get any varsity reps but did figure predominantly in the JV offense and defense. He started and played fullback on the offensive side of the ball, lining up for 12 of 16 plays of the final evaluation before the season starts on Monday. He ran the ball three times for eight yards (4, 4 & O). He also played 12 of the 16 snaps on the defensive side of the ball, spending all of them at middle linebacker as the captain of the defense. He recorded three tackles and would’ve had either a tackle for loss or possibly even a sack but was held, clothes-lined and put in a headlock by an offensive lineman. The worst part is that they didn’t even call it! The varsity looked pretty good but obviously still has a long way to go – especially given the fact that they lost their starting quarterback for the year already with a broken collarbone. Coach Moore has the worst luck with his starting QBs! I picked up Luke and we grabbed drive-through at McDonald’s for his dinner, late that night and he ran around with his buddies until late. Ann & I caught up for a few minutes before she fell asleep and I watched the Cowboys preseason game (they lost to Niners). Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis18.08.80 sis18.08.81 sis18.08.82 sis18.08.83 sis18.08.84 sis18.08.85 sis18.08.86 sis18.08.87 sis18.08.88 sis18.08.89 sis18.08.90 sis18.08.91 sis18.08.92 sis18.08.93 sis18.08.94 sis18.08.95 sis18.08.96 sis18.08.97 sis18.08.98 sis18.08.99 sis18.08.101 sis18.08.100 sis18.08.102 sis18.08.103 sis18.08.104 sis18.08.105 sis18.08.106 sis18.08.107 sis18.08.108 sis18.08.109 sis18.08.110 sis18.08.111 sis18.08.112 sis18.08.113 sis18.08.114 sis18.08.115 sis18.08.116 sis18.08.117 sis18.08.118 sis18.08.119 sis18.08.120 sis18.08.121 sis18.08.122 sis18.08.123 sis18.08.124 sis18.08.125 sis18.08.126 sis18.08.127 sis18.08.128 sis18.08.129 sis18.08.130 sis18.08.131 sis18.08.132 sis18.08.133 sis18.08.134 sis18.08.135 sis18.08.136 sis18.08.137

We enjoyed sleeping in on Saturday morning. Abby had to get up and go in to work at BWR. I had to wake up Luke so he and I could mow and trim the yard. Since Matt didn’t trim the bushes out front this summer, Luke & I had to do it. It took us quite a while, but they look much better now. We really trimmed them back as they were completely overgrown and looked awful. We no sooner got done there (two big trash cans full of clippings) then we were off in Betty White to Maryann & Sandy’s house to mow and trim there as well. It was another scorcher but Luke was good about feeding me plenty of water throughout the day. All told, we were outside for about five hours, working in the yard. Afterwards we went out to eat and run errands. Luke was my driver all day today, doing a good job of commanding the old pickup. We came home afterwards and put away all our stuff, got cleaned up and rested a while. Luke went out and ran around the neighborhood the rest of the day and ended up staying the night at Brayden’s house. I had the pleasure of writing out bills that afternoon. Meanwhile, Ann met up with Stacy and a few of their close ΔΔΔ sorority sisters for cocktails and dinner at the Willard in Franklin. Matt had a chance to go to the lake house with Kate & Jake but decided to stay back at the house with Ms. Taylor, who is now back at school at U Indy. Abby came home early that evening after work, upset but didn’t want to talk. She went out with Mary to Columbus where they had dinner at Zaharakos. I’ve never been there, but I’ve heard good things about it. Turns out she was nursing a broken heart again. We were sorry to hear it but may be for the best as she is preparing to take a different path than he is. It sucks and it’s never easy, but unfortunately it probably won’t be her last. I relaxed in the A/C that evening, enjoying my quiet time with the dogs and watched a couple episodes of Stargate and Ancient Aliens before Ms. Ann came home. We chatted for a while then watched some TV before calling it a night.

We enjoyed a much calmer Sunday. We slept in a little before eventually getting up and doing our weekly household chores. Bu went in to work at Wings & Rings and got to be a server again. Ann & I thought it might be a nice to go eat there so she could wait on us and we could show our support for her. She was surprised when we walked in the door and we were there for nearly two hours, I think! They were pretty slow so we got to catch up with several of the girls and even Randall before we left so she could get back to work. Abby had Megan and Molie over for a bit after work then they went out for dinner in Columbus. She was better but obviously still preoccupied. Meanwhile, Luke came back from Brayden’s house and played Fortnight for several hours then later rode his bike to Shack’s house, down Park Road. They eventually ended up back at our house with a couple other little buddies for a few hours. We put Luke’s football sign up in the front yard, so we’re ready for his first official high school game tomorrow night! We wound down the week, watching the three NASCAR races and some of our favorite shows – Take Two, The Sinner, Shades of Blue and Fear the Walking Dead. It was a nice way to wind down the week before we start it all over again tomorrow morning. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp18.08.32 smp18.08.33 smp18.08.34 smp18.08.35 smp18.08.36 smp18.08.37 smp18.08.38 smp18.08.39 smp18.08.40 smp18.08.41 smp18.08.42 smp18.08.43 smp18.08.44 smp18.08.45 smp18.08.46 smp18.08.47 smp18.08.48 smp18.08.49 smp18.08.50 smp18.08.51 smp18.08.52 smp18.08.53 smp18.08.54 smp18.08.55 smp18.08.56 smp18.08.57 smp18.08.58 smp18.08.59 smp18.08.60 smp18.08.74 smp18.08.61 smp18.08.62 smp18.08.63 smp18.08.64 smp18.08.65 smp18.08.66 smp18.08.67 smp18.08.68 smp18.08.69 smp18.08.70 smp18.08.71 smp18.08.72 smp18.08.73 smp18.08.75 smp18.08.76 smp18.08.77 smp18.08.78 smp18.08.79 smp18.08.80 smp18.08.81

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature photo album # 16 of 18 of our young family, shortly after the turn of the century. We lead off this week with a few of Ms. Ann on Christmas morning in Dec 2002; then up to Indy for Monster Jam in Jan 2003; Matt wresting in Feb 2003; Matt’s birthday party in Mar 2003; Luke’s baby shower in Jun 2003; Mom’s birthday flowers in Jun 2003; Fourth of July parade in Jul 2003; Abby’s birthday party in Sep 2003; Abby’s soccer game in Sep 2003; Matt’s soccer awards day in Sep 2003; Matt at Ryan’s birthday party in Sep 2003; and the kids posing for a Christmas card in front of the tree in Dec 2003.

Waybac.2002.12.cd70 Waybac.2002.12.cd71 Waybac.2002.12.cd72 Waybac.2002.12.cd73 Waybac.2003.01.mj21 Waybac.2003.01.mj22 Waybac.2003.02.mw20 Waybac.2003.02.mw21 Waybac.2003.03.mbd15 Waybac.2003.03.mbd16 Waybac.2003.03.mbd17 Waybac.2003.03.mbd18 Waybac.2003.06.lbs05 Waybac.2003.06.lbs06 Waybac.2003.06.mbdf01 Waybac.2003.06.mbdf02 Waybac.2003.07.fojp21 Waybac.2003.07.fojp22 Waybac.2003.07.fojp23 Waybac.2003.07.fojp24 Waybac.2003.07.fojp25 Waybac.2003.09.abd22 Waybac.2003.09.abd23 Waybac.2003.09.abd24 Waybac.2003.09.abd25 Waybac.2003.09.asg01 Waybac.2003.09.asg02 Waybac.2003.09.asg03 Waybac.2003.09.asg04 Waybac.2003.09.msg01 Waybac.2003.09.rbd02 Waybac.2003.08.rbd03 Waybac.2003.12.skp05 Waybac.2003.12.skp06 Waybac.2003.12.skp07 Waybac.2003.12.skp08

Next up is our video segment, which includes one new family movie from this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that puts the kibosh on this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply