It’s (Nearly) September and I Really Should be Back at School…

We had a long and eventful week since we last touched base. Matt continued co-teaching and staying with Katie & Jake in Zionsville this week. Abby got all moved-in to FC and is now an official college student. She was involved in student orientation this weekend. Luke had two high school football games this week – he played the entire junior varsity game at middle linebacker and looked great…and under Friday night lights, he dressed for his second varsity game. Ann struggled with her knees and has decided to move forward with replacement surgery…now she just needs to pick a date. I met my goal of 15 miles walking this week and dropped another couple pounds on my keto diet. I touched base with Dad & Barb as well as spend time with Dad & Lynn. We had some severe weather that made things interesting and we were saddened to hear of the passing of a family member. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work and school on a rainy Monday morning. Luke went to school with Mary. Afterward, Memaw brought him his Jimmy Johns and he went on to his JV football game at Shriver Field. Abby continued cleaning and packing all day then spent some time with Regan. That evening, she met up with Kuyhlia and they went to the Colts game! Matt continued co-teaching, up in Zionsville. Ann & I had fast days at work then we left early so I could go see Dr. Stradley about my teeth – I need to start flossing and then increase my cleanings to every 4 months. We ran some errands and then I walked 3 miles in a little rain before we took off for the game. The Pirates “C” team faced the Shelbyville JV team. Greensburg got off to a fast start, picking right up where they left off in the 4th quarter of the varsity football game last week. We were up 24-0 after the 1st quarter and 46-0 at the half when we called off the dogs and didn’t score in the 2nd half. Luke started at middle linebacker and played every snap on the defensive side of the ball. He had 8 solo tackles and was in on 4 others – including 2 tackles for loss! He played a handful of offensive plays at fullback but was only used as a decoy and didn’t touch the ball that night. He also played kicker on the kickoff team and was very busy! He had 7 kicks for 245 yds! (37, 32, 39, 36, 35, 31 and 35). He was also the deep back on the kickoff return team, returning the only kick from the Bears for about 30 yards…before being plowed into the ground hard. He was fine and was all smiles afterward. His teammates gave him some shit and we gave the video I had of the play to one of his coaches who is going to send it in to Pat McAfee and his Barstool Sports Blog. Luke and his defense played well all night, getting their first shutout of the year and evening their record to 1-1. We grabbed some McDonald’s drive thru for dinner and came back to watch the Colts game on Monday Night Football. Here are pictures from Luke’s first varsity football game vs. Shelbyville last week, where he got to play the entire 4th quarter!

lp18.08.04 lsvf18.01 lsvf18.02 lsvf18.03 lsvf18.04 lsvf18.05 lsvf18.06 lsvf18.07 lsvf18.08 lsvf18.09 lsvf18.10 lsvf18.11 lsvf18.12 lsvf18.13 lsvf18.14 lsvf18.15 lsvf18.16 lsvf18.17 lsvf18.18 lsvf18.19 lsvf18.20 lsvf18.21 lsvf18.22 lsvf18.23 lsvf18.24 lsvf18.25 lsvf18.26 lsvf18.27 lsvf18.28 lsvf18.29 lsvf18.30 lsvf18.32 lsvf18.31 lsvf18.33 lsvf18.34 lsvf18.35 lsvf18.36 lsvf18.37 lsvf18.38 lsvf18.39 lsvf18.40 lsvf18.41 lsvf18.42 lsvf18.43 lsvf18.44 lsvf18.45 lsvf18.46 lsvf18.47

Tuesday was another rainy day as we headed back to work for a long day. I walked a 5K on a mildly wet afternoon. We stopped by Best Buy afterwards to find a TV stand for Bu’s TV but struck out again. Luke went to football practice after school and then went out shopping with Memaw. Abby went shopping with Regan in Greenwood then cleaned out her car and continued washing clothes and packing for college.

After the storms blew through overnight, it really cooled things off on Wednesday. Luke rode to school with his friend Kaitlyn that morning then had a good football practice afterward. He said they had him on scout offense and defense with the older JV boys and not practicing with the younger kids and freshmen – which is a good sign. Abby slept in then spent the day finishing packing and saying goodbye to her friends. I guess there were lots of tears around town. Ann’s knees were killing her again so she made an appointment to see Guse and get some more shots. I had another long day at work and then walked a 5K on a perfect afternoon around 80. That evening Ann made Abby her going-away dinner…and Matt would’ve loved it …chicken fettucine alfredo – and it did not disappoint! Here are pictures of Luke’s first JV football game vs. Triton Central last week.

ltcjv18.01 ltcjv18.02 ltcjv18.03 ltcjv18.04 ltcjv18.05 ltcjv18.06 ltcjv18.07 ltcjv18.08 ltcjv18.09 ltcjv18.10 ltcjv18.11 ltcjv18.12 ltcjv18.13 ltcjv18.14 ltcjv18.15 ltcjv18.16 ltcjv18.17 ltcjv18.18 ltcjv18.19 ltcjv18.20 ltcjv18.21 ltcjv18.22 ltcjv18.23 ltcjv18.24 ltcjv18.25 ltcjv18.26 ltcjv18.36 ltcjv18.27 ltcjv18.28 ltcjv18.29 ltcjv18.30 ltcjv18.31 ltcjv18.32 ltcjv18.33 ltcjv18.34 ltcjv18.35 ltcjv18.37 ltcjv18.38 ltcjv18.39 ltcjv18.40 ltcjv18.41 ltcjv18.42 ltcjv18.43 ltcjv18.44 ltcjv18.45 ltcjv18.46 ltcjv18.47 ltcjv18.48 ltcjv18.49 ltcjv18.50 ltcjv18.51 ltcjv18.52 ltcjv18.53 ltcjv18.54 ltcjv18.55 ltcjv18.56 ltcjv18.57 ltcjv18.58 ltcjv18.59 ltcjv18.60 ltcjv18.61 ltcjv18.62 ltcjv18.63 ltcjv18.64 ltcjv18.65 ltcjv18.66 ltcjv18.67 ltcjv18.68 ltcjv18.69 ltcjv18.70 ltcjv18.71 ltcjv18.72 ltcjv18.73 ltcjv18.74 ltcjv18.75 ltcjv18.76 ltcjv18.77 ltcjv18.78 ltcjv18.79 ltcjv18.80 ltcjv18.81 ltcjv18.82 ltcjv18.83 ltcjv18.84 ltcjv18.85 ltcjv18.86 ltcjv18.87

Thursday was another early day as Luke rode to school with the Wests. After a long day, he had football practice and then attended team dinner that evening. Ann & I took the day off to spend with Abby on her big day. It was Bu’s college move-in day at Franklin. So, we packed up the car, ran a few last-minute errands, said goodbye to Memaw and made our way to FC. We stopped for lunch at Ann’s restaurant, just off-campus, before heading to Cline hall to unload all of Ab’s stuff. I have to admit that it was very nice to have the upper classmen there to unload and take all her belongings up to her room on the 3rd floor! Unfortunately, they won’t be there in the spring to help us load it all back up! We played around with the layout of the room for about a half hour before deciding on bunking the beds and getting most of her room set up before her roommate Kaylie and her family got there. It was pretty busy and crowded for about an hour or so but the room turned out pretty nice by the time we left that afternoon. By the time she walked us to the car and said goodbye, Bu was in a good space and was headed to dinner to eat with some new friends. Ann & I are so very proud of her but needed a few minutes to process the day before we left town. So we drove downtown and stopped in to Shale Creek Brewery for a couple cold Creekside Cream Ales, some yummy pulled pork nachos and some amazing fried ravioli – we liked it so much that we made plans to stop in the next time we are in town. As we drove home, we couldn’t help but notice how hard the city has worked on cleaning up the downtown since were here in the 80s and 90s. It looks really nice and has a great feel to it – kind of a sleepy / slower pace to it – typical college town. That night, I checked my watch and saw I had reached over 10K steps on the day but still felt the need to go for a quick walk around the neighborhood to clear my head. I ended up getting in about a mile and a half then repainted Luke’s football sign to reflect his new number this year – 21. Meanwhile, Ann took a nap as she nursed her ailing knees. When Luke came back from playing with his friends that evening, he was really talkative. We visited for probably 45 minutes before he showered and went to bed. Ann & I watched some TV shows and I checked in my new Hot Wheels that I scored from the Power of the Past last weekend. Here are some random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis18.08.176 sis18.08.177 sis18.08.182 sis18.08.178 sis18.08.179 sis18.08.180 sis18.08.181 sis18.08.183 sis18.08.184 sis18.08.185 sis18.08.186 sis18.08.187 sis18.08.188 sis18.08.189 sis18.08.190 sis18.08.191 sis18.08.192 sis18.08.193 sis18.08.194 sis18.08.195 sis18.08.196 sis18.08.197 sis18.08.198 sis18.08.199 sis18.08.200 sis18.08.201 sis18.08.202 sis18.08.203 sis18.08.204 sis18.08.205 sis18.08.206 sis18.08.207

We tried to sleep in on Friday but Luke had trouble getting up for school and had to have constant reminders before he finally got his ass in gear. By that time, we couldn’t fall back asleep. We still took our time getting going that morning and may have even taken a short nap before getting up and doing a few errands. I mowed the lawn and wrote out bills while Ann cleaned around the house in preparation for Dad & Lynn’s arrival. Abby Face-Timed with Ann that afternoon. She was having fun getting to know her classmates with Freshman orientation and doing a ton of team-building activities. Later that evening, Ann & I went to Shriver Field for the 2nd game of the varsity season to watch the older Pirates face a very good Triton Central team. Luke was contained to a sideline view the entire game due to the Pirates being blown out by the Spartans, 49-0. It was a rough night in all three phases of the game…and to top it off, Luke’s date was cancelled. So, Ann & I took him out for dinner to ElRep before they closed.

We enjoyed sleeping in on a stormy Saturday morning. Luke & I were unable to mow and trim at Mom & Sandy’s house because it was too wet. Ann & I cleaned the house some more before Dad & Lynn got in. Luke cleaned up the boys’ bedroom so they had a place to sleep this weekend. Matt came home and we enjoyed catching up with him for a while. Abby Facetimed Ann for about an hour. As we were cleaning, I accidentally knocked the home phone in the bedroom off the cradle and saw that we had a couple missed calls and voicemails. No one ever calls us on this phone, so we never check it. I just assumed it was CVS – which one was…but the other was from Dad & Barb. That’s when we learned the sad news that Uncle Ed had passed away. The problem is that it happened last weekend and the message was several days old. I felt awful and called Dad right away and apologized for not coming to the funeral (it was Thursday) and for not returning his call. I know he was pretty close to Uncle Ed and as hard as it was to lose Ed, it was even tougher on him because I learned that it came on the heels of him losing one of his best friends only a couple months ago. Steve Hyer lost his battle with cancer. Despite the terrible circumstances, it was good to catch up with Dad & Barb for a while. I sure wish we were closer so we could see them more often. We finished cleaning the house and caught a cat nap before Dad & Lynn came to town. We missed the On Eagle’s Wings / St Mary’s 5K race again this year that runs past Bryan & Angie’s house. I’m not even sure if they got it in due to the storms. Bryan invited us out to their annual afterparty at the Sunken Boat Bar, but we never made it. Instead, we visited with Dad & Lynn for a couple hours then went for a big dinner and a pitcher of margaritas at ElRep. By the time we got to dinner, it had started to rain. As we were waiting to be seated, all hell broke loose. The storm was really strong with high winds and large, damaging chunks of hail hammering the building and the cars in the lot. Once it stopped, the boys went out to check the cars. Black Betty got beat up pretty badly. She is covered in dents on her hood, top and even on one side. But poor Bébé got the worst of it. Not only did it dent her up badly, but it damaged the roof and cracked the windshield with two huge impact craters right in the middle. Fortunately, we were safe inside the restaurant and were fixated on the strength of the storm and amount of damage around us. Ann will call the insurance company on Monday and get all of it figured out. Fortunately, the storm was only on that side of town and so all the cars and the house back home were untouched. Despite the drama, we had a nice meal and the margaritas went down smooth. We came home and ended up playing euchre (the boys swept the girls in three games!) and continued visiting. We had a good time talking with these two characters and it’s always so good to catch up with them. Abby enjoyed her day at school with her freshmen orientation stuff – including jumping off some 2-story thing into a big pillow mat! Wow! She ended up in Crawfordsville later that night to visit Devin at Wabash. It sounds like she’s having a great time being on her own…and we think she’s going to be just fine…

smp18.08.124 smp18.08.125 smp18.08.126 smp18.08.127 smp18.08.128 smp18.08.129 smp18.08.130 smp18.08.131. smp18.08.132 smp18.08.133 smp18.08.134 smp18.08.135 smp18.08.136 smp18.08.137 smp18.08.138 smp18.08.139 smp18.08.140 smp18.08.141 smp18.08.142 smp18.08.143 smp18.08.144 smp18.08.145 smp18.08.146 smp18.08.147 smp18.08.148 smp18.08.149 smp18.08.150 smp18.08.151 smp18.08.152 smp18.08.153 smp18.08.154 smp18.08.155 smp18.08.156 smp18.08.157 smp18.08.158 smp18.08.159 smp18.08.160 smp18.08.161 smp18.08.162 smp18.08.163 smp18.08.164 smp18.08.165 smp18.08.166 smp18.08.167 smp18.08.168 smp18.08.169 smp18.08.170 smp18.08.172 smp18.08.173 smp18.08.174 smp18.08.175 smp18.08.176 smp18.08.177 smp18.08.178 smp18.08.179

Matt up early to work at Aspen Place on Sunday morning. The rest of us enjoyed sleeping in for a few hours. Luke & I ran to Mom & Sandy’s house to mow (actually Luke mowed while I went inside and visited with the ladies). Luke did a good job of driving Betty White that morning for us. Dad & Lynn got going a little later in the morning when we came back and I started in on our weekly household chores. Ann got up and went grocery shopping then made us all a quick lunch, including her Shallo’s dip. Mom & Sandy stopped by to visit with Pixie after running out to the car show at the fairgrounds. After they left, we took it easy in the A/C on a sweltering day. and watched Ocean’s Eight and Rampage. Matt came home from work just long enough to clean-up before he was out the door and headed over to see Memaw & Gigi on his way back up to school. He went to the U-Indy campus to meet up with Ms. Taylor, who was putting on a special event for the students. Matt was there to provide A/V support and help setup and tear down. Later, Ann made cheeseburgers on the grill and roasted potatoes and broccoli in the oven for dinner. Afterwards we settled in to the couches and watched another movie on the big screen – this time it was Ready Player One. Dad & Lynn went to bed and Ann fell asleep in her recliner afterward, so I watched Fear the Walking Dead before calling it a night. It was a nice way to wind down the day and put a cap on another busy week, here at the Scheu abode.

Next up, we have our Waybac segment. We lead off with another pic from the Bryan family Christmas at Vird & Belinda’s house and our young family on Christmas morning with Mom & Dad in December 2002; then we move on to 2003: Matt wrestling at the Fieldhouse in February; Abby and other princesses at Elaine’s birthday party across the street from us in May; Matt mooning me on Easter morning in May; Matt taking pictures of me in June; Luke coming home for the first time in June; new baby bunnies under the shed in July; Gigi’s birthday on Main St in July; Matt playing at Ryan’s house across the street in August; Matt and friends’ awards day for soccer at Washington Fields (which was recently torn down) in September; and the Owens grandkids at our house on Christmas Eve in December.

Waybac.2002.12.bfc61 Waybac.2002.12.cd74 Waybac.2002.12.cd75 Waybac.2002.12.cd76 Waybac.2003.02.mw26 Waybac.2003.02.mw27 Waybac.2003.02.mw28 Waybac.2003.02.mw29 Waybac.2003.05.ewbp09 Waybac.2003.05.ewbp10 Waybac.2003.05.ewbp11 Waybac.2003.05.ewbp12 Waybac.2003.05.meb01 Waybac.2003.06.lb25 Waybac.2003.06.lb26 Waybac.2003.06.lb27 Waybac.2003.06.lb28 Waybac.2003.07.aus01 Waybac.2003.07.sbd05 Waybac.2003.07.sbd06 Waybac.2003.07.sbd07 Waybac.2003.08.rbd04 Waybac.2003.09.msg02 Waybac.2003.09.msg03 Waybac.2003.09.msg04 Waybac.2003.12.ofce13 Waybac.2003.12.ofce14 Waybac.2003.12.ofce15 Waybac.2003.12.ofce16

Finally, we have two new family home movies to share this week as well as several from around the internet.

Well, that does it for this week’s entry into the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply