Wanted to Bring the Year in Right…

Another week has sped past us already. The first week of the new year sure came and went quickly. Matt wound up his vacation at home, spent time with Taylor and headed up to Zionsville to begin the next phase of his student teaching. Abby also wrapped up her Christmas vacation, spent time with Garrett and began her J-Term (we used to call it Winter Term) class. She is enjoying her new room and roommate in Elsey Hall. Luke, too, saw the end of his break, spent time with his buddies, played his first basketball game of the new year and began his second semester of high school. He returned to being a two-sport athlete and contemplated adding a third sport as well. Ann and I enjoyed a short work week after spending a quiet New Years holiday. I slowly returned to my diet and exercise routine, but it was not easy. My intake has gotten better as the week progressed and I managed to eek out about nine miles in about three hours of exercise. It wasn’t my best effort, but at least it was better than last week… Hello again and welcome to the latest entry of the Scheu Family Blog.

Monday was New Year’s Eve. The entire family enjoyed sleeping in for once. Matt got cleaned up and drove over to Centerville to spend the night and ring in the new year with Ms. Taylor. I picked-up Luke from Drew’s house and then later we helped Gma put away her Christmas stuff in the attic. Abby got up and made muffins for breakfast then later drove up to stay the night with Garrett in Newcastle. That evening, Luke went to Tyler’s house for a big party and stayed the night. That left Ann & I with an empty nest that night. I don’t think that has ever happened before around here. We’ve always had at least one kid with us each time we’ve seen the new year come around. We were nearly asleep and thought we might just stay home in our jammies and have a quiet night with the dogs. However, we eventually got motivated and made our way over to Bryan & Angie’s house, unsure of what exactly was in store for us that night… Whether it was the weather or the timing of the holiday, none of us felt like doing much. It rained so hard that we had widespread flood warnings and all our other friends backed out of the evening’s festivities. So we ended with just the four of us hanging out and playing euchre all night. It was guys vs. gals and Bryan & I won two games to one. It was a nice, quiet evening that we enjoyed as it was more of our speed…damn we’re old. Here are pictures from Christmas Eve last week.

lp19.01.01 xe18.01 xe18.02 xe18.03 xe18.04 xe18.05 xe18.06 xe18.07 xe18.08 xe18.09 xe18.10 xe18.11 xe18.12 xe18.13 xe18.14 xe18.15 xe18.16 xe18.17 xe18.18 xe18.19 xe18.20 xe18.21 xe18.22 xe18.23 xe18.24 xe18.25 xe18.26 xe18.27 xe18.28 xe18.29 xe18.30 xe18.31 xe18.32 xe18.33 xe18.34 xe18.35 xe18.36 xe18.37 xe18.38 xe18.39 xe18.40 xe18.41 xe18.42 xe18.43 xe18.44 xe18.45 xe18.46 xe18.47 xe18.48 xe18.49 xe18.50 xe18.51 xe18.52 xe18.53 xe18.54 xe18.55 xe18.56 xe18.57 xe18.58 xe18.59 xe18.60 xe18.61 xe18.62 xe18.63 xe18.64 xe18.65 xe18.66 xe18.67 xe18.68 xe18.69 xe18.70 xe18.71 xe18.72 xe18.73 xe18.74 xe18.75 xe18.76 xe18.77 xe18.78 xe18.79 xe18.80 xe18.81 xe18.82 xe18.83 xe18.84 xe18.85 xe18.86 xe18.87 xe18.88 xe18.89 xe18.90 xe18.91 xe18.92 xe18.93 xe18.94 xe18.95 xe18.96 xe18.97 xe18.98 xe18.99 xe18.100 xe18.101 xe18.102 xe18.103 xe18.104 xe18.105 xe18.106 xe18.107 xe18.108 xe18.109 xe18.110 xe18.111 xe18.112 xe18.112a xe18.113 xe18.114 xe18.115 xe18.116 xe18.117 xe18.118 xe18.119 xe18.120 xe18.121 xe18.122 xe18.123 xe18.124 xe18.125 xe18.126 xe18.127 xe18.128 xe18.129 xe18.130 xe18.131 xe18.132 xe18.133 xe18.134 xe18.136 xe18.137 xe18.138 xe18.139 xe18.140 xe18.141 xe18.142 xe18.143 xe18.144 xe18.145 xe18.146 xe18.147 xe18.148 xe18.149 xe18.150 xe18.151 xe18.152 xe18.153

Tuesday was New Year’s Day. Luke was up early at Tyler’s house and headed into basketball practice – their first in about a week. Abby stayed up at Garrett’s house all day and Matt stayed up at Taylor’s all day. I woke up and made steak & eggs on another overcast morning. The steak was all that was left over from last Sunday’s amazing meal of filet and Ann’s homemade cheesy potatoes – one of her best meals of all-time! Ann made our traditional lunch of Rebel Dogs and slaw for good luck in the coming year. Lord knows we’ll need it! We watched college football bowl games all day – first the Fiesta Bowl was pretty good with LSU beating UCF by a TD. Then the Rose Bowl was eventually a good game when Washington came back in the 4th quarter to make it close but Ohio State held on to win by a handful of points. Later, the Texas edged Georgia to win the Sugar Bowl by a touchdown. Ann made chicken fettucine alfredo for dinner as the kids’ going-back-to-school dinner. We took it easy all night and enjoyed our final day of vacation.

Matt was up early for work then got his hair cut (shorter than it’s been in years). Gma took Luke to basketball practice that afternoon. Ann worked a half day then took Abby back to FC since Bu’s car is still incapacitated. Afterward, she went out to dinner with her scrapbooking friends for a girls’ night out. I returned to work for the first time in nearly two weeks. It was all I could do to just process all 150+ emails and catch up on all my paperwork. I stayed late to get all that done and then walked for the first time in almost two weeks. Due to the cold, overcast weather I ended up at the mall where I got in about a 5K. It was slow going but I toughed it out. I got passed by one of the walkers not once…but twice! Here are pictures of our Christmas Day festivities last week.

xd18.01 xd18.02 xd18.03 xd18.04 xd18.05 xd18.06 xd18.07 xd18.08 xd18.09 xd18.10 xd18.11 xd18.12 xd18.13 xd18.14 xd18.15 xd18.16 xd18.17 xd18.18 xd18.19 xd18.20 xd18.21 xd18.22 xd18.23 xd18.24 xd18.25 xd18.26 xd18.27 xd18.28 xd18.29 xd18.30 xd18.31 xd18.32 xd18.33 xd18.34 xd18.35 xd18.36 xd18.37 xd18.38 xd18.39 xd18.40 xd18.41 xd18.42 xd18.43 xd18.44 xd18.45 xd18.46 xd18.47 xd18.48 xd18.49 xd18.50 xd18.51 xd18.52 xd18.53 xd18.54 xd18.55 xd18.56 xd18.57 xd18.58 xd18.59 xd18.60 xd18.61 xd18.62 xd18.63 xd18.64 xd18.65 xd18.66 xd18.67 xd18.68 xd18.69 xd18.70 xd18.71 xd18.72 xd18.73 xd18.74 xd18.75 xd18.76 xd18.77 xd18.78 xd18.79 xd18.80 xd18.81 xd18.82 xd18.83 xd18.84 xd18.85 xd18.86 xd18.87 xd18.88

We had a cool start to our Thursday but at least the sun finally came out for the first time in several days. It was another long day at work for Ann and I. I walked about three miles outdoors after work and froze the entire time. It was Abby’s first day back to school at Franklin. It was also Luke’s first day back to school as he started his final semester of his freshman year. He shared that he only has two months until Spring Break. Matt got all doodied-up and drove up to an interview at his new school in Zionsville where he’ll be student teaching next week. As it turned out, it only lasted about 10 minutes and was pretty much a waste of time to drive a couple hours for only a few minutes. He spent the afternoon hanging out with Gma. Ann & I picked him up on our way back through town and drove to Aurora to watch Luke & the frosh basketball team face East Central. The young Pirates looked like they hadn’t practiced in a couple weeks (which they hadn’t). We were shutout through the opening quarter and were down 10 – a deficit we could never overcome. The Trojans weren’t that much better than us but turnovers and extra chance points just killed us. We didn’t pass the ball well and we sure didn’t shoot it well either – missing a handful of point-blank shots and all of our 3-pointers. In the end, the boys lost 17-40 to bring their record even at 3-3 on the year. Luke’s stats: no points on 0-3 shooting from the field (one miss was behind the arc) with a pair of assists and a turnover. Defensively, he had five rebounds, a couple forced turnovers and a block. He was aggressive, which I loved, but he looked winded for most of the game. I later learned that he wasn’t feeling well and had the same bug that is going around and would eventually catch up with me. We signed-out Luke after the game and stopped at Skyline in Batesville for dinner on our way home. Earlier, I worked out a new deal with Comcast after our bill made a $50 hike. We ended up dropping about ten channels which saved us about $100. I also spoke to Jerry who is still keeping his ears open for a transmission for Abby’s car and we discussed our options for her auto situation. We go back and forth on whether we should repair or replace her car. I packed up Ann’s heated toilet seat that morning and swapped it out with a correct version (I not only got the wrong color but the wrong shape – what a dumb ass – and I even measured!). When we got back home, I edited, uploaded and shared Luke’s game tape for the boys and parents. While I was gathering up the Wii system and games for Abby to take to school that night, I got the TV out in the family room working as well. We watched the Boilers beat Iowa in the first home game since Tyler’s death and later fell asleep with the dogs in the living watching our DVR’d shows. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.01.01 sis19.01.02 sis19.01.03 sis19.01.04 sis19.01.05 sis19.01.06 sis19.01.07 sis19.01.08 sis19.01.09 sis19.01.10 sis19.01.11 sis19.01.12 sis19.01.13 sis19.01.14 sis19.01.15 sis19.01.16 sis19.01.17 sis19.01.18 sis19.01.19 sis19.01.20 sis19.01.21 sis19.01.22 sis19.01.23 sis19.01.24 sis19.01.26 sis19.01.27 sis19.01.28 sis19.01.29 sis19.01.30 sis19.01.31 sis19.01.32 sis19.01.33 sis19.01.34 sis19.01.35 sis19.01.36 sis19.01.37 sis19.01.38 sis19.01.39 sis19.01.40 sis19.01.41 sis19.01.42 sis19.01.43 sis19.01.44 sis19.01.45 sis19.01.46 sis19.01.47 sis19.01.48 sis19.01.49

Luke was in early for football practice on Friday morning. Apparently, baseball workouts have also started. However, the afternoon practices are at the same time as basketball. That leaves the early morning workouts and Luke’s not sure if he can do it. He might just wait until basketball ends. I encouraged him to go to at least one next week to let the coach know he was interested, but we’ll see. Basketball season is nearly over. Abby got her books for school and thought the class may be harder than she initially thought. Matt enjoyed the day off and spent most of it at Mom & Sandy’s house. Ann worked a half day then ran a bunch of stuff up to Abby and took her out to lunch. I had another very long day. It didn’t help that I wasn’t feeling well. I ended up starting a Z-pack that evening. Although it is not on my diet, I had an unquenchable yearning for vitamin C at work, so I had my first orange in many months that afternoon. Afterward, I had hoped to walk outdoors but it was just raining too hard to be outside so I ended up at the mall. I didn’t have much of an energy level and didn’t quite get three miles in before I called it a week and headed home. Angie & Hannah were at the house when I arrived, talking with Ann and going through some of Abby’s dresses for an upcoming high school dance. Luke went to the JV and varsity basketball games at the high school that evening. Luke (”Mitch”) came home with Lukey to spent the night. They spent the evening hanging out in the family room, playing Fortnight until late into the morning.

I was up early on Saturday morning, thanks to Lola. I woke up Luke, who was sleeping in my seat and I wanted to sit down and watch TV. I’m glad I did – since he didn’t bother to tell me last night that they had basketball practice that morning. I ran to the store and got the boys donuts and milk for breakfast then ran them into practice at the Fieldhouse. I ran a couple errands, did the weekly PM to the vehicles and then we took down the Christmas tree and decorations. Although Matt & Abby didn’t participate this year, Luke was a big help. It was Matt’s last day at home. Early in the afternoon, we sent him off back to school. He drove up to Zionsville to stay at Katie & Jake’s house. That evening, they took Matt and the kids out to dinner and went roller skating. Luke went out to Drew’s house to play airsoft all weekend. I ended up out at the Sunken Boat Bar to watch the Colts / Texans game with Bryan while Ann & the dogs napped. Indy jumped out to an early lead and never looked back, coasting to an easy win and moving on in the playoffs. They will be in Kansas City next weekend. After that game, the Cowboys hosted the Seahawks. This was a much tighter game, going down to the last minute to decide. But in the end, Dallas held on to win only their third playoff game since they last won the Super Bowl and will travel to LA next weekend. When’s the last time the Colts & Cowboys both won a playoff game on the same day?! Bryan made us a carb-free pizza during the games that was just outstanding. We were good boys and called it an early evening. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.01.01 smp19.01.02 smp19.01.03 smp19.01.04 smp19.01.05 smp19.01.06 smp19.01.07 smp19.01.08 smp19.01.09 smp19.01.10 smp19.01.11 smp19.01.12 smp19.01.13 smp19.01.14 smp19.01.15 smp19.01.16 smp19.01.17 smp19.01.18 smp19.01.19 smp19.01.20 smp19.01.21 smp19.01.22 smp19.01.23 smp19.01.24 smp19.01.25 smp19.01.26

We enjoyed finally sleeping in on Sunday morning. It was a quiet, sunny day. We slowly got up and did our weekly household chores. With no kids in the house all day, it was quiet and a nice change of pace. We only had to deal with the dogs today, which allowed us to nap and watch football all day. Both playoff games were tight, which made it enjoyable. The Chargers held on to win and the Bears blew a big lead to allow the Eagles to move on in the playoffs. We watched some Oak Island and Ancient Aliens that night. It was a relaxing way to wind down the week before we crank it back up and start all over again tomorrow.

Next is our Waybac segment which continues to feature our photo album #17, which has all the pictures of our vacation at Walt Disney World in May 2004. We lead off this week with us waking up in the Contemporary with ducks at our back door; then we head to Epcot for fireworks and then on to the Garden Grill (rotating restaurant) for a character meal called, “Chip ‘n’ Dale’s Harvest Feast”; next, we are in Animal Kingdom where Abby was selected to participate in, “The Festival of the Lion King” show!; and we end this week’s batch at the Polynesian Resort for a luau dinner show called, “The Spirit of Aloha.”

Waybac.2004.05.wdw61 Waybac.2004.05.wdw62 Waybac.2004.05.wdw63 Waybac.2004.05.wdw64 Waybac.2004.05.wdw65 Waybac.2004.05.wdw66 Waybac.2004.05.wdw67 Waybac.2004.05.wdw68 Waybac.2004.05.wdw69 Waybac.2004.05.wdw70 Waybac.2004.05.wdw71 Waybac.2004.05.wdw72 Waybac.2004.05.wdw73 Waybac.2004.05.wdw74 Waybac.2004.05.wdw75 Waybac.2004.05.wdw76 Waybac.2004.05.wdw77 Waybac.2004.05.wdw78 Waybac.2004.05.wdw79 Waybac.2004.05.wdw80

Next up is our video segment, which includes one new home movie as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply