…They Try and Break Me

The signs of spring are starting to show – the weather is warming, the kids are either on break or preparing for it, baseball season is gearing up, our favorite TV shows are beginning to wrap-up and severe weather is upon us again. Matt had a full week of student teaching at the elementary school in Zionsville. Abby had a lot less drama at school this week. We got to see her a couple times, including spending a special day with her on the weekend. Luke enjoyed his first week of break from school, spending time running around with friends, going fishing and playing airsoft as often as possible. Ann had a big week of pushing herself, physically. She worked harder and walked further this week than she’s done to date. She is such a trooper! I was about 90% compliant with my diet and met my walking goal of fifteen miles, which allowed me to drop about five pounds this week. The weather was all over the place – from tornadoes and high winds to snow and sub-freezing temps…all the way to seventy degrees and bright, sunshine-y day…say hello springtime in Indiana! Hello again and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog…

We had a warmer start to the week on Monday. Luke began the first week of his Spring Break by going out to the Messers to run around with his buddies Drew, Dra & Brody all day. Ann had a great day – highlighted by a visit from Mom & Sandy, who brought her lunch and key lime pie! Matt had yet another car issue that caused him to have a fender bender. Thankfully, there was no damage to either car, but I spoke to Jerry and got him an appointment to figure out what’s going on with it. I had a long day at work then walked a 5K outdoors on a lovely (but windy) afternoon. I ran to Walmart and then picked up all the boys at Bryan & Angie’s house and brought them here to spend the night. They had the van packed full of airsoft crap and PS4s/TVs in preparation for their evening. No sooner did I get them to the house and unloaded, then they were off and headed to the woods. They stayed out until Ann ordered Papa John’s pizzas for their dinner, when they quickly came back. Ann & I watched American Idol and chilled out, wishing we had gone to the Metallica concert that night at the Fieldhouse in Indy. Obviously, she wouldn’t have been able to go due to her knees, but I heard it was a good one. They set a record for attendance at the venue with a final count of 18, 274 concert-goers! I should have the recording of the concert by next week. Here are various pictures from our recent adventures.

lp19.03.03 sis19.03.205 sis19.03.206 sis19.03.207 sis19.03.208 sis19.03.209 sis19.03.210 sis19.03.211 sis19.03.212 sis19.03.213 sis19.03.214 sis19.03.215 sis19.03.216 sis19.03.217 sis19.03.218 sis19.03.219 sis19.03.220 sis19.03.221 sis19.03.222 sis19.03.223 sis19.03.224 sis19.03.225 sis19.03.226 sis19.03.227 sis19.03.228 sis19.03.229 sis19.03.230 sis19.03.231 sis19.03.232 sis19.03.233 sis19.04.234 sis19.03.235 sis19.03.236 sis19.03.237 sis19.03.238 sis19.03.239 sis19.03.240 sis19.03.241 sis19.03.242 sis19.03.243 sis19.03.244 sis19.03.245 sis19.03.246 sis19.03.247 sis19.03.248 sis19.03.249 sis19.03.250 sis19.03.251 sis19.03.252 sis19.03.256 sis19.03.257 sis19.03.258 sis19.03.259 sis19.03.260 sis19.03.261 sis19.03.262 sis19.03.263 sis19.03.264 sis19.03.265 sis19.03.266

I was up early and out the door to work on Tuesday – I enjoyed a beautiful sunrise on the ride in that morning. Luke and his buddies slept in and enjoyed the 2nd day of Spring Break. They played PS4 and airsoft all day and into the evening before the boys finally went home. The house smelled like teenage boys for three days afterward! 😊 Dinah picked up Ann and they went to physical therapy in Columbus. Her therapist really smoked her knees that day and Annie was sore all night long from it. I had another long day at work then walked a 5K outside again on a nice afternoon. The boys returned from the woods and then Luke & Drew went out with friends to get dinner at Burger King. I worked on the van’s front bumper and got it re-secured after I bent it backwards until I popped out a few screws in the Chili’s parking lot a couple weeks ago. I charged the Pacifica’s battery – it drained so low, I though t it was dead…so I was pleased to see that it started that night and it would again the next few days. I set up appointments for Matt & Abby to get their cars looked at by Jerry when they come home for their Spring Break. Hopefully they won’t need too many repairs…

Wednesday was warm but overcast all day. Justin, Vic & I went to breakfast at the Hangar, which made the day go much faster! After work, I walked a 5K outside in the nearly-seventy-degree weather. I was actually a little sweaty when I finished! Ann had an easy day, resting those swollen knees of hers – they are especially swollen from the extra stretching she did yesterday. But the big news was that she got her first official shower that night and felt much better! Luke enjoyed the day off by playing airsoft in the woods with Blayne and then they went fishing, where he actually caught a few fish! We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.03.39 smp19.03.40 smp19.03.41 smp19.03.42 smp19.03.43 smp19.03.44 smp19.03.45 smp19.03.46 smp19.03.47 smp19.03.48 smp19.03.49 smp19.03.50 smp19.03.51 smp19.03.52 smp19.03.53 smp19.03.54 smp19.03.55 smp19.03.56 smp19.03.57 smp19.03.58 smp19.03.59 smp19.03.60 smp19.03.61 smp19.03.62 smp19.03.63 smp19.03.64 smp19.03.65 smp19.03.66 smp19.03.67 smp19.03.68 smp19.03.69 smp19.03.70 smp19.03.71 smp19.03.72 smp19.03.73 smp19.03.74 smp19.03.75 smp19.03.76 smp19.03.77 smp19.03.78 smp19.03.79 smp19.03.80 smp19.03.81 smp19.03.82 smp19.03.83 smp19.03.84 smp19.03.85 smp19.03.86 smp19.03.87

We had a wet start to the day on Thursday. It was still warm but dangerous weather moved into the area. We had three tornado warnings and a thunderstorm warning blow through during the day…but once it all moved-out, we were left with a gorgeous evening – sunny & seventy! I walked a 5K at the mall before heading home. Ann had PT in Columbus – thanks to Cheryle for taking care of her that day. Her therapist worked her hard again that day– she even did squats! Way to go, Annie!! Of course, that night she paid the price and didn’t move too far from her recliner… Luke had a busy day of running around with Blayne and Brett again. He came home to be with Ann during the tornado warnings and they hunkered down in the hallway. Once the all-clear was announced, he quickly went fishing and running around town with Blayne. He came home and played Fortnight long after Ann & I went to bed…

Friday was a much cooler day. I drove Black Betty into work for the first time in two months. I had my blood drawn at the hospital, here in town, for the first time in several years due to Ann’s office being closed. I had a fast day then Abby came up from college to meet me at work. She had planned to pick up Ann and come over for Jarrett’s funeral that evening. But poor Annie was still ailing from the workout that her knees had yesterday. She said they were the sorest they’ve been since before her surgery. Abs and I went to the mall to walk about a mile and a half before heading over to the funeral home to give our condolences to Wayne & Shannon. It was all very heartbreaking, of course, but I’m so glad we went. We talked to Paul, Dayla & the boys as well as a couple of others we saw, waiting in line. Afterward, Abs & I went to Five Guys for a comfort meal. What better way to help change your attitude than a great burger, Cajun fries and shake? I can tell you that we definitely felt much better afterward. We went back to my work and aired-up her tire again before we went our separate ways. I got home and took it easy, watching Purdue lose in their opening game of the Big Ten tourney. It was yet another “one and done” for the Boilers. Let’s hope they have better luck in the Big Dance, because this was a super disappointing performance. Luke and Blayne ran around town again that afternoon, hung-out at our house for a while then headed back out for a few hours that night. Here are pictures from my latest additions to the Hot Wheels collection.

hw19.03.01 hw19.03.02 hw19.03.03 hw19.03.04 hw19.03.05 hw19.03.06 hw19.03.07 hw19.03.08 hw19.03.09 hw19.03.10 hw19.03.11 hw19.03.12 hw19.03.13 hw19.03.14 hw19.03.15 hw19.03.16 hw19.03.17 hw19.03.18 hw19.03.19 hw19.03.20 hw19.03.21 hw19.03.22 hw19.03.23 hw19.03.24 hw19.03.25 hw19.03.26 hw19.03.27 hw19.03.28 hw19.03.29 hw19.03.30 hw19.03.31 hw19.03.32 hw19.03.33 hw19.03.34 hw19.03.35

We slept in a little on Saturday before we headed up to Franklin for Family Day with Abby. We had a good time on campus that day. We met up with Bu in her dorm room then went to “Bruch with the President” but he was nowhere to be found. We took Garrett and Carly with us and enjoyed a big meal. Abby made new friends there – we sat with a gal who had a couple small children that really took a shine to Bu. Afterward, we went shopping to get food for the Pi Beta Phi pitch-in luncheon. The Pi Phi suite was very nice but a little cramped. It was a great turnout for their event. We played a little scoop ball, took Ann to see the new Tri Delt suite and then went for a drive around town. Luke drove us around for a while and then we ended up downtown. While the girls went dress shopping on the square, Luke & I went into the Tapp Room for beer and wings, where I had a few Quaff On Six-Foot Strawberry Blondes. The girls joined us for a drink and some appetizers. We visited for a little while before heading back to campus where we got a few pictures and said goodbyes. We had to leave early to head back to town because Ann’s knees were screaming and she was worn out from the busy day. But she did great and we are so proud of her! Luke drove us back from Franklin and did a great job. We had planned to go to the Lowe’s Farmhouse Bar for Kristy’s surprise 50th birthday party, but we had to cancel on them because Annie simply wasn’t up for it. Instead, we got take-out from Wings & Rings and watched a couple movies on the big screen. Luke went out with Blayne for a while before coming home to play Fortnight late into the evening.

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday before the damn dogs got me up. I stayed up and Ann joined me moments later, so we started our weekly household chores early then I ran a few errands around town. Luke had made plans to play airsoft in Martinsville with Drew & Brody, but Drew couldn’t go so instead; he went with just Brody. It snowed that morning as I watched classic sci-fi: Star Trek, Buck Rogers and Stargate Atlantis. What a difference a few hours made that day. Whereas the morning was cold and depressing, the afternoon warmed to the 50s and the dogs went outside and enjoyed the sunshine! Mom, Sandy & Pixie came over to visit for about an hour. We gave them a couple FC shirts we picked-up yesterday at the bookstore and looked for an old yearbook of hers. Later, we kept warm with the dogs and tried to nap while watching NASCAR. Kyle Busch won his 200th race but neither of us caught any Z’s. Luke got home from his airsoft adventure at Spec Ops, where he had traded his gun for some other guy’s weapon. His mother & I were none to happy with him for doing this without our permission, but I guess he’ll have to learn on his own. But we told him not to ask us to buy him stuff like that again. Ann & I watched a strange-but-interesting movie called Mr. Brooks and later, Drew came over to spend the night so the two of them could catch a ride to baseball practice in the morning with Blayne. It’s hard to believe that we’re just a week or so away from baseball season already! Later, we learned that Purdue will be the #3 seed in the south region and face Old Dominion in Hartford, CT in the Big Dance. We ended our week in typical fashion with The Walking Dead & Talking Dead before calling it a day. It was a relaxing end to a long week…

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature our #17 family photo album. It has tons of pictures from our family vacation to Walt Disney World in June 2004. We lead off this week with our arrival at the Magic Kingdom on day one; then we head to Cinderella’s castle for a character meal…in this case it is breakfast with the princesses called Cinderella’s Royal Table; next we head to Animal Kingdom – first for a show called Festival of the Lion King and then on the Kilimanjaro Safari; then we move on to MGM Studios for various sights like the Rockin’ Rollercoaster, the Sorcerer’s Hat (I think that’s gone now!) and the main entrance called Crossroads of the World; next is the view of Cinderella’s Castle from on top of the Contemporary during fireworks each night; then we head to Epcot where we walked through and sampled beers in different countries in the World Showcase: DestiNations Discovered; and we wrap up this batch of pix with various sights from around the Contemporary resort.

Waybac.2004.06.wdw297 Waybac.2004.06.wdw298 Waybac.2004.06.wdw299 Waybac.2004.06.wdw300 Waybac.2004.06.wdw301 Waybac.2004.06.wdw302 Waybac.2004.06.wdw303 Waybac.2004.06.wdw304 Waybac.2004.06.wdw305 Waybac.2004.06.wdw306 Waybac.2004.06.wdw307 Waybac.2004.06.wdw308 Waybac.2004.06.wdw309 Waybac.2004.06.wdw310 Waybac.2004.06.wdw311 Waybac.2004.06.wdw312 Waybac.2004.06.wdw313 Waybac.2004.06.wdw314 Waybac.2004.06.wdw315 Waybac.2004.06.wdw316 Waybac.2004.06.wdw317 Waybac.2004.06.wdw318 Waybac.2004.06.wdw319 Waybac.2004.06.wdw320 Waybac.2004.06.wdw321

We wrap up this week’s entry with our video segment. Unfortunately, we don’t have any new home movies from this week but here are several from around the internet that I enjoyed this week.

Well, that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply