…Never even Looked Back till He was Twenty-Three

We had a busy week, here at the Scheu abode. Luke enjoyed his final week of Spring Break and moved into fulltime baseball mode. Abby wrapped up her first half of spring semester at FC and came home to begin her break. Matt wrapped up his student-teaching this week and will now focus on passing his licensure exams and passing that Chem class – 3rd times the charm! He already has a couple leads on jobs after graduation, which is very cool. He celebrated another trip around the sun this week – we can’t believe we have 23-year-old…how did that happen?! Ms. Ann continues to work hard in her rehab and is getting around easier with each passing day. She still struggles to get up and down a little, but there were key signs this week that show how far she’s come. I continue to fight the battle of the bulge. I met my weekly exercise goal, reaching fifteen miles walking but was hit or miss with my diet. My labs were great and my doctor rewarded me at my appointment this week. With all the kids in the house this weekend, the family was whole again and everything was right in the world… Hello again and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

We had a nice start to the week and I enjoyed a fast day at work on Monday. Vic & I took Justin to China Buffet for his birthday lunch. That always helps the day go by faster. After work, I walked a 5K outside in the lovely spring weather. It is my favorite time of year (well, more so in the fall, but…) where I can wear shorts and a sweatshirt and be comfortable. When the sun peaked out from the clouds, it was actually warm…but when it hid from me, the wind was nippy and I ended up with my hood up by the end of the workout. Ann said her legs felt swollen like “tree trunks.” She ordered some therapeutic Pizza King for lunch – pizzas, burritos and a hoagie – all things I was able to nibble on later that night. Luke & Drew slept in a little that morning then got up and went to breakfast at McD’s before going on to baseball practice. They caught a ride with Blayne, as usual, who got his truck hit in their parking lot. Although it was just a small dent, the offending driver sped away quickly like a wuss. At practice, Luke & Drew found out that they made the JV squad. Luke says he’s getting some reps at first base but he’s battling a junior that is also a coach’s son, so he’s got his work cut out for him. He also said he was struggling with his swing. He talked to coach and turns out that his bat is top heavy and needs a composite one that is a drop 3 or lower (his favorite bat is now considered illegal at this level). He said when he was practicing with the varsity, they threw the ball so hard that it broke his glove! He went to a second practice that evening and then went out with Blayne to Taco Bell for dinner. That night, we went online and got him a new bat, glove, helmet and bag…we just need to go up and get the glove at Dicks, where we’ll look for cleats, a belt and more practice pants as well. Drew couldn’t stay another night, so Angie came over and picked him up and Ann & I watched American Idol until late. That evening, they finally released the Indy Metallica show and I listened to it all week at work. It would’ve been really cool to see the show because it sounds great… Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

lp19.03.04 sis19.03.267 sis19.03.268 sis19.03.269 sis19.03.270 sis19.03.271 sis19.03.272 sis19.03.273 sis19.03.274 sis19.03.275 sis19.03.276 sis19.03.277 sis19.03.278 sis19.03.279 sis19.03.280 sis19.03.281 sis19.03.282 sis19.03.283 sis19.03.284 sis19.03.285 sis19.03.286 sis19.03.288 sis19.03.289 sis19.03.290 sis19.03.291 sis19.03.292 sis19.03.293 sis19.03.294 sis19.03.295 sis19.03.296 sis19.03.297 sis19.03.298 sis19.03.299 sis19.03.300 sis19.03.301 sis19.03.302 sis19.03.303 sis19.03.304 sis19.03.305 sis19.03.306 sis19.03.307 sis19.03.308 sis19.03.309 sis19.03.311 sis19.03.312 sis19.03.313 sis19.03.314 sis19.03.315 sis19.03.316 sis19.03.317 sis19.03.318 sis19.03.319 sis19.03.320 sis19.03.321 sis19.03.322 sis19.03.323 sis19.03.324 sis19.03.325 sis19.03.326 sis19.03.327 sis19.03.328 sis19.03.329 sis19.03.330 sis19.03.331 sis19.03.332 sis19.03.333 sis19.03.334 sis19.03.335 sis19.03.336 sis19.03.337 sis19.03.338 sis19.03.339 sis19.03.340 sis19.03.341 sis19.03.342 sis19.03.343 sis19.03.344 sis19.03.345 sis19.03.346 sis19.03.347 sis19.03.348 sis19.03.349 sis19.03.350 sis19.03.351 sis19.03.352 sis19.03.353 sis19.03.354 sis19.03.355 sis19.03.356 sis19.03.357 sis19.03.358 sis19.03.359 sis19.03.360 sis19.03.361

We enjoyed another nice day on Tuesday. I went off-grid (or at least tried) at work so I could focus on doing my annual report. I had to respond to a couple issues but otherwise had a fast day after I literally unplugged my phone and did not start Outlook. I got about half of it done, which I was happy with. After work, I walked a 5K outdoors on a gorgeous day. Ann had another quiet day, still resting those aching knees of hers. Luke went to baseball practice with Blayne about mid-morning and said the repair we did on his first baseman glove did not hold. His coach said he could re-string it, but he didn’t have the time to do it. Luke used his backup glove at practice, but it’s just not the same… He did not have an evening practice that night, so when I got home Ann & I took him out for Taco Tuesday dinner at ElRep where Annie and I enjoyed a margarita – her first since her surgery…she’s truly on the mend now! 😊 That evening, we watched the episode of Hoarders which featured the lady from here in town.

Wednesday had a wet start. Luke & Drew had baseball practice then went to the Messer’s for the day. Luke said his fielding really suffered due to his glove. So, we may end up going up to get the glove we ordered through Dick’s sooner rather than later. Ann went to physical therapy that day, where she did more squats and then paid the price all evening long. I reminded her of the old cliché – no pain, no gain. I had a long day then walked a 5K at the mall on a rainy evening. After two days of being “off the grid” at work, I finally finished my annual report. I spent the afternoon following up on all the voicemails and emails I had missed. After running to Walmart, I came home and ended up going out to the Sunken Boat Bar for Poker Night with the guys. Rick and Bob did very well that evening. I forgot my lucky shirt, so it was no surprise that I didn’t win. We ate and drank like kings all evening then Luke & Drew drove me home and Drew stayed the night at our house. Here are some of the latest additions to the Hot Wheels collection.

hw19.03.36 hw19.03.37 hw19.03.38 hw19.03.39 hw19.03.40 hw19.03.41 hw19.03.42 hw19.03.43 hw19.03.44 hw19.03.45 hw19.03.46 hw19.03.47 hw19.03.48

Thursday was Matt’s 23rd birthday and the first day of Spring! I spoke to him early that morning and we made a NCAA bracket group so we could face each other and the loser has to buy dinner and a pitcher of margaritas at ElRep! I had another fast day at work then walked another 5K outdoors on a cool evening. Luke & Drew went to baseball practice – Luke said his bat came in that morning and it was awesome! Ann nursed her ailing legs, but is recovering quicker each time she goes to PT. I picked up Ann and Luke that evening, loaded up the van with Ann’s scrapbooking stuff and we took it all out to the Burney church, in preparation of her big scrapbooking weekend – which will be her first time since her surgery. Now we now she’s really making strides in recovery – first a drink and now extended time out of the house! After we dropped off her goodies, we drove through the country, up to Dick’s in Greenwood to get Luke’s baseball gear. He should be good now – he has all new stuff: bat bag, bat, helmet, mitt, metal cleats, batting gloves and pants – he’s all set! Afterward, we met up with Matt & Taylor at Cheddars to celebrate Matt’s birthday. We had a feast and Matt & I had a drink to celebrate his big day. We were only missing Ms. Abby, who was participating in a philanthropy event that evening. I should have a video of her part of it to share next week! We had a great waitress – possibly the best ever? She was cool, funny and personable. She even wrote Happy Bday in Matt’s drink! 😊 How cool is that? Matt & Taylor are doing great. We had so much fun catching up with those two – they are so funny together and are such a good-natured couple. But time flew by and before we knew it, we were headed back home to watch Purdue face Old Dominion. The Boilers had a slow start but pulled away at the end and won to move on to the 2nd round of the tourney, despite Eastern getting hurt in warmups and missing the entire first half…sure hope he’s ok…

We had a much cooler start to our Friday with frost on the windshields. Luke got up early and returned to school for the first time in two weeks. He had a fast day then went to baseball practice that afternoon. I had a great day that absolutely flew by. It was just Vic & I and we had a couple issues we had to work through but it ended up being all good. The two of us went to Lowe’s for the Customer Appreciation lunch, after our friend Jason called and invited us over. The food was good – they had it catered by the Eagles. I walked early so that I could get to my doctor appointment. I only needed about a mile to make my goal, which was good since I was so late getting out and had to be back in the ‘Burg in an hour. So, I had a fast walk around campus and then headed over to see Dr. Mungcal. He was very happy with my numbers – everything was back to normal! Yay! Well, everything…except my weight, which he didn’t even address. He said whatever I’m doing…keep doing it! He took me off another med, so that’s two meds less now than I was taking at this time last year! I got done early and went over to watch Luke & Drew’s baseball practice at the high school. By the time I got there, they were leaving the field…so I figured they were done. But to my surprise, they walked to the varsity field where they scrimmaged the older boys. Luke platooned at first base along with his friend Avery. He played two innings in the field, recording two putouts and got one at-bat where he was walked on five pitches. The wind was awful and made it feel much, much colder. In fact, I eventually had to go to the van and pull it around and park on the street to watch the final couple innings because I could no longer feel my fingers. Ann went to Burney with her friends to scrapbook and enjoy fresh hot dogs on steamed buns. Matt was supposed to go to Jamie’s house to watch basketball but couldn’t make it. Instead, he enjoyed his final day at the Special Ed class in Zionsville. The kids got him all kinds of cool going-away presents. He thinks he might continue up there in a substitute role until the end of the school year. He met with the head of the Special Ed department, who offered him a couple of positions after he graduates, which is incredible news – way to go, Matt!! Abby came home for Spring Break after rocking her French midterm (way to go, Bu!). She stopped to see Ann in Burney then came home to meet up with me and go out for dinner at Tarouya. I dropped Luke at home so he could clean up his room and go out to the movies with his friends. Unfortunately, he ended up not going and so he played Fortnight and later, he had Addison over to hang out for a while. I watched the NCAA tourney games while Bu took a nap. In fact, once she went to bed, we didn’t see her again as she slept right on through till morning. Once Ann got home, we talked for a while then went to bed, worn-out from the long day. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.03.89 smp19.03.90 smp19.03.91 smp19.03.92 smp19.03.93 smp19.03.94 smp19.03.95 smp19.03.96 smp19.03.97 smp19.03.98 smp19.03.99 smp19.03.100 smp19.03.101 smp19.03.102 smp19.03.103 smp19.03.104 smp19.03.105 smp19.03.106 smp19.03.107 smp19.03.108 smp19.03.109 smp19.03.110 smp19.03.111 smp19.03.112 smp19.03.113 smp19.03.114 smp19.03.115 smp19.03.116 smp19.03.117 smp19.03.118 smp19.03.119 smp19.03.120 smp19.03.121 smp19.03.122 smp19.03.123 smp19.03.124 smp19.03.125 smp19.03.126 smp19.03.127 smp19.03.128 smp19.03.129 smp19.03.130 smp19.03.131 smp19.03.132 smp19.03.133 smp19.03.134 smp19.03.135 smp19.03.136 smp19.03.137 smp19.03.138 smp19.03.139 smp19.03.140 smp19.03.141 smp19.03.142 smp19.03.143 smp19.03.144 smp19.03.145 smp19.03.146 smp19.03.147 smp19.03.148 smp19.03.149 smp19.03.150 smp19.03.151 smp19.03.152 smp19.03.153 smp19.03.154 smp19.03.155 smp19.03.156 smp19.03.157 smp19.03.158 smp19.03.159 smp19.03.160 smp19.03.161 smp19.03.162 smp19.03.163 smp19.03.164 smp19.03.165 smp19.03.166 smp19.03.167 smp19.03.168 smp19.03.169 smp19.03.170 smp19.03.171 smp19.03.172 smp19.03.173 smp19.03.174 smp19.03.175 smp19.03.176 smp19.03.177 smp19.03.178 smp19.03.179 smp19.03.180 smp19.03.181 smp19.03.182 smp19.03.183 smp19.03.185 smp19.03.186 smp19.03.187 smp19.03.188 smp19.03.189

On Saturday, Luke was up early and had me run him over to Mom & Sandy’s house to help with their garage sale. He took some stuff but didn’t make any sales. Blayne came by and picked him up for baseball practice around noon. Jane took Ann to Burney for day two of their scrapbook weekend. I edited pictures, wrote-out bills and PM’ed all the vehicles – including getting the truck up and running after being in hibernation since October. I was pleased to see it started on the first try! Abby & I ran errands around town and then picked up Ann at scrapbooking over in Burney. We dropped her off and picked up the truck to go get one tire aired up for Matt to use on Monday. Bu enjoyed driving old Betty White around town. She drove us out to the Sunken Boat Bar so I could give Bryan his birthday gift – I actually found a bourbon he didn’t have! 😊 She then drove us to BWR for an early dinner. She talked with all her co-workers who asked her repeatedly when she was returning to work. She hasn’t decided yet if she’ll actually return after her hiatus for school but she doesn’t have anything else lined up yet. We came home and Bu took a nap while Ann & I watched a few shows and caught up on our days. Later, we watched Purdue face Villanova in a battle to go to the Sweet 16. I was amazed to see the Boilers dominate the entire game and are moving on to Louisville next weekend! The victory came thanks to the three E’s: the 42-spot, put up by Edwards, the defense of Eastern and the tenacity to do all the little things by Eiffert…plus great play by all the others, especially Haarms in the paint and Cline at the arc. The guys looked great and have a ton of momentum, which they’ll need at the next level. Luke went to Drew’s house for while then ended up going to a party at Shack’s house, where he spent the night. Abby had a headache and went to lie down for a while and again ended up sleeping straight on through till morning…

We tried to sleep in a little on Sunday but the dogs had other plans. So, Ann & I got up and started picking up the house and doing our weekly household chores. I picked up Luke so he could finish cleaning his areas before Matt got home. Abs slowly got going and was better after a cup of coffee and a shower. Matt & Taylor got home shortly before Phyllis & Dick, Mom, Sandy & Pixie and Dee, Jamie and Grace come over to celebrate Matt’s 23rd birthday. We watched a good game between Minnesota and Tennessee go into OT and chatted. TN won and will face Purdue next weekend. We slowly migrated to the kitchen and sang a less-than-stellar version of the Birthday Song to Matthew and enjoyed cake and ice cream. It was another one of Mary Ewing’s cakes and it was delicious! Matt opened up his cards and presents and we visited for a while before everybody left at about the same time. We cleaned-up the house and then everyone took naps while I watched NASCAR and more of the Big Dance. Once everyone got up, Ann, Abby and Grace made Matt his choice of birthday meal. It was not surprise that he wanted chicken alfredo fettucine – yum! It was outstanding as always. The kids laughed and talked and we watched a fantastic end to the Duke / UCF game. UCF has 7’6”, 305 lb. Tacko Fall playing center that was so much fun to watch. But Duke has the #1 player in college basketball and at the end of the game, it came down to the two of them…and it was Zion Williamson who made the game winning-basket and fouled out Fall all in the same play. Afterward, the kids and I ran Bebe and Tonya over to Jerry’s garage so he can check them out tomorrow. We dropped off Gracie and came back so Matt & Taylor could have some alone time before she had to head back to school. Matt, Ann & I watched The Walking Dead and Talking Dead to wind down the weekend. It was a shocking way to put a cap on our busy week, as they killed off several characters – including three of the popular ones – Enid, Tara and Henry…

Next up is our Waybac segment which continues to feature photo album #17 from our stash of 18 books. It is a dedicated album with all the pictures from our family vacation at Walt Disney World in June 2004. We lead off this week with us riding the monorail to the Contemporary and then checking out all the sights at the resort while we waited on our room; then more of the kids at our first character meal – Chip ‘n Dale’s Harvest Feast at the rotating Garden Grill Restaurant in Epcot; next we head to the Magic Kingdom at night for the Spectro Magic parade down Main St.; then riding rides at Animal Kingdom, including Primeval Whirl, on a very hot day; next we head back to Epcot for the amazing nighttime show called IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth; then back to Animal Kingdom for the Tarzan Rocks! Show; chilling at the Contemporary and then checking out the cool stuff in Legoland at Downtown Disney.

Waybac.2004.06.wdw322 Waybac.2004.06.wdw323 Waybac.2004.06.wdw324 Waybac.2004.06.wdw325 Waybac.2004.06.wdw326 Waybac.2004.06.wdw327 Waybac.2004.06.wdw328 Waybac.2004.06.wdw329 Waybac.2004.06.wdw330 Waybac.2004.06.wdw331 Waybac.2004.06.wdw332 Waybac.2004.06.wdw333 Waybac.2004.06.wdw334 Waybac.2004.06.wdw335 Waybac.2004.06.wdw336 Waybac.2004.06.wdw337 Waybac.2004.06.wdw338 Waybac.2004.06.wdw339 Waybac.2004.06.wdw340 Waybac.2004.06.wdw341 Waybac.2004.06.wdw342 Waybac.2004.06.wdw343 Waybac.2004.06.wdw344 Waybac.2004.06.wdw345

Finally, we end with our video segment which features one new family movie from this week as well as several from around the internet.

Well, that does it for another episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply