Get Back…Back to where You once Belonged

It was a week of returns – getting back to the way things should be. All the kids were back home this week – the family was whole and all was right in the world. Ann & I cherish these times and know the moments are limited and fleeting. Matt got his car back in safe condition and with it a peace of mind he hadn’t enjoyed in months. He had a full week of work before getting back to school with Taylor. Abby got her car back as well and should be good to go for years now, if she takes care of it. She got to see some old friends she hadn’t seen in a while and enjoyed having much-needed mother / daughter time – just like they used to enjoy… Luke got back to playing ball games – this time it was baseball as he played in his first JV baseball game of his career. Ann & I enjoyed getting back to watching the kids’ sporting events with our friends. Mom & Sandy got back from New York, after spending the week with Keith & Rosie. But the big news of the week was Ann’s return to work. Despite my requests, she returned to work and did great as usual. I met my weekly walking goal of fifteen miles though my diet was less than compliant. Still; I enjoyed the return of the Reds, who won their opening-day ball game and the Boilermakers returned to the Sweet Sixteen in the March Madness tourney. True to form, and just like Mom used to say, March – which came in like a lion – went out like a lamb for us with a gorgeous spring week since we last touched base. The buds are back on the trees, the grass is regaining its green color and the temps are returning to a comfort level that allows me to exercise outdoors again. Hello; and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

We had a rainy start to the week on Monday. Matt got up early and made his way into work in Betty White. It was a little chilly for him since the heater isn’t currently working, but he managed to survive the cold ride to work. I drove Black Betty into work so Abby could have Barney, since she was transporting Ann that day. Luke got up on time and rode to school with Blane – I wasn’t sure he was gonna get up. Abby drove Ann to her haircut in Columbus in the Barney-mobile. I joined them at Jami’s salon to get my hair cut as well. Megan met Bu there and they went to lunch. I walked a 5K at the mall on a cold afternoon. Matt worked-out at the Y after work, running four miles. Luke went to baseball practice after school then caught a ride home with Blane. We all met back at the house and piled into the minivan to go out for dinner at Wings & Rings as part of a fundraiser for After-Prom. We sat with Kristie and two of her girls and enjoyed a huge meal and a few cold beverages. It looked like they had a good turnout. Jerry stayed late and finished up all the work on Bebe for Matt that evening. I cannot repeat enough how happy we are that we switched mechanics. Jerry always goes above and beyond. After dinner, I ran Matt out to J & A Auto so he could have his car for work in the morning, since it was supposed to be a chilly morning again. Bu went out with Megan and Matt Face-timed Taylor before going to bed early. Luke played Fortnight for a couple hours before he went to bed. Meanwhile, Ann & I watched American Idol then also turned in early. The girls came back just before we went to bed and stayed up late doing arts & crafts in the kitchen… Here are pictures from Matt’s 23rd birthday party last weekend.

lp19.03.05 mbdp19.01 mbdp19.02 mbdp19.03 mbdp19.04 mbdp19.05 mbdp19.06 mbdp19.07 mbdp19.08 mbdp19.09 mbdp19.10 mbdp19.11 mbdp19.12 mbdp19.13 mbdp19.14 mbdp19.15 mbdp19.16 mbdp19.17 mbdp19.18 mbdp19.19 mbdp19.20 mbdp19.21 mbdp19.22 mbdp19.23 mbdp19.24 mbdp19.25 mbdp19.26 mbdp19.27 mbdp19.28 mbdp19.29 mbdp19.30 mbdp19.31 mbdp19.32 mbdp19.33 mbdp19.34 mbdp19.35 mbdp19.36 mbdp19.37 mbdp19.38 mbdp19.39 mbdp19.40 mbdp19.41 mbdp19.42 mbdp19.43 mbdp19.44 mbdp19.45 mbdp19.46 mbdp19.47 mbdp19.48 mbdp19.49 mbdp19.50 mbdp19.51 mbdp19.52 mbdp19.53 mbdp19.54 mbdp19.55 mbdp19.56

Matt was again the first one up and out the door for work at Aspen Place on Tuesday morning. As predicted, it was a cold morning, so he was much happier driving Bebe. The kitchen was quite a mess from the girls and it would stay that way all week as Abby continued to make works of art. I had a long day at work then walked a 5K outside on a pretty but cool day – shorts and sweatshirt weather…perfect! Abby drove Ann to physical therapy in Columbus, where she had another good session but was really sore that evening. She continued working her muscles as well as the knees – she even climbed a flight of stairs and came back down them. Unlike her previous experience; this time, she kicked the stairs’ ass! Luke had school and then went to baseball practice. Abby had Megan over that evening to do arts and crafts again in the kitchen. Matt & I both went to bed early so we could get up at the butt-crack of dawn for work in the morning.

Wednesday was Ann’s first day back to work! She was so excited to return…only to find that everyone there was sick with the flu! She worked a half day, which is all her doctor wants her doing at this point in her recovery. Abby drove her in and then went to Starbucks to study for a couple hours. She went to her hair appointment with Jami before swinging back over and picking Ann up and running her home. I was up early and drove to Justin’s house to carpool with him to Bloomington for a corporate training with senior management from our Indiana facilities. Matt worked at Aspen Place then worked-out at the Fieldhouse before cleaning-up and Face-Timing Taylor for hours. Luke had school then went to baseball practice before riding home with Blane and Drew. Justin & I went to Bub’s Burgers in downtown Bloomington for a late lunch after our training ended at Meadows. Bub’s is the home of the Big Ugly Burger. If you eat the whole 22-oz thing, you get your picture on the wall. …Well, needless to say, we couldn’t say no. And yes…we now have our pictures on the wall! 😊 When I got back home, I took Ann to the Fieldhouse for her After-Prom meeting. Unbeknownst to me, she promptly fell when Ms. Independent tried to put the bleachers down for her meeting. Thankfully there were two guys that helped her to her feet and the other only thing hurt was her pride…and maybe her hip later that evening. While she went inside for her meeting, I walked a 5K on the city track that runs right behind it and met her back at the car afterward. We stopped at the gas station on the way home and filled up Black Betty for the first time this year…and after saving up all our rewards, we paid less than a dollar a gallon for premium! Here are various pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.03.362 sis19.03.363 sis19.03.364 sis19.03.365 sis19.03.366 sis19.03.367 sis19.03.368 sis19.03.369 sis19.03.370 sis19.03.371 sis19.03.372 sis19.03.373 sis19.03.374 sis19.03.375 sis19.03.376 sis19.03.377 sis19.03.378 sis19.03.379 sis19.03.380 sis19.03.381 sis19.03.382 sis19.03.383 sis19.03.384 sis19.03.385 sis19.03.386 sis19.03.387 sis19.03.388 sis19.03.389 sis19.03.390 sis19.03.391 sis19.03.392 sis19.03.393 sis19.03.394 sis19.03.395 sis19.03.396 sis19.03.397 sis19.03.398 sis19.03.399 sis19.03.400 sis19.03.401 sis19.03.402 sis19.03.403 sis19.03.404 sis19.03.405 sis19.03.406 sis19.03.407 sis19.03.408 sis19.03.409 sis19.03.410 sis19.03.411 sis19.03.412 sis19.03.413 sis19.03.414 sis19.03.415 sis19.03.416 sis19.03.417 sis19.03.418 sis19.03.419 sis19.03.420 sis19.03.421 sis19.03.422 sis19.03.423 sis19.03.424 sis19.03.425

Matt had the day off on Thursday. He went to the eye doctor before he ages out of my insurance at the end of the month then worked-out at the Fieldhouse again. Ann rode with me to work for the first time since before her surgery in January. She worked a half day then went to her doctor appointment with Abby. Guse said she was doing great. I had a fast day then walked over three miles outdoors on a gorgeous afternoon. Luke had a good day at school then went to baseball practice. He stayed late to attend opening day at the varsity baseball game – which they won by one run. I picked up Abby and we got Tonya back from Jerry’s shop. Matt & I went to the tAAp, which is downtown on the square, and enjoyed some father / son bonding time over a few pitchers of beer. We ended up ordering a pizza from the new place on the square called Cecil’s Slice of Pie. They delivered it to the bar! It was enormous and delicious. We watched the Reds win their opening-day game vs the Pirates then stuck around to watch the Purdue Sweet Sixteen game. They faced a very good Tennessee team and the game was intense as hell. We drank a few more pitchers and had some pretzel bites while we enjoyed the exciting game with a Boiler-friendly crowd. In the end, Purdue moved on to the Elite Eight for the first time in 20 years as Edwards and Cline went off! We had so much fun and had a good talk as well. It was great spending time with just the two of us and definitely need to do this again very soon. We came back and watched a little of the late game – and just as we were getting ready to go to bed, Matt received a panicked call from Taylor. He learned that she had broken her leg in two places (both bones!) and dislocated her foot while simply walking across a street – what a mess! He drank lots of water and even walked a couple laps around the neighborhood. I ended up falling asleep on the couch and then went to bed. He was going to wait until morning but he ended up packing up all his stuff and took off at some point in the middle of the night to be with her in her hour of need. He picked her up from the hospital and took her back to the dorm at U Indy. The only bad thing was that we didn’t even get a chance to say good-bye to him….but life happens and we understand. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.03.190 smp19.03.191 smp19.03.192 smp19.03.193 smp19.03.194 smp19.03.195 smp19.03.196 smp19.03.197 smp19.03.198 smp19.03.199 smp19.03.200 smp19.03.201 smp19.03.202 smp19.03.203 smp19.03.204 smp19.03.205 smp19.03.206 smp19.03.184

Mom & Sandy got home safely from NY on Friday. They had a little drama with their car but got it all worked out and otherwise had a nice visit with Keith, Rosie and Megan. Matt stayed in Indy with Ms. Taylor and helped to make her as comfortable as possible. She was really sore that day, as you might expect. Ann & I drove into work together again – I didn’t realize how much I missed our time alone to chat about whatever is on our minds. Abby slept in a little then picked up Ann to run her to PT again. Ann had another busy day at work then worked her tail off at therapy. As you might imagine, she was sore that night. Luke went to school then had his first baseball game that night. I had a fast day of EOC rounds at work then went to lunch with Justin, Vic and Danny at China Buffet. I walked early and met my weekly exercise goal before heading home to pick up Ann & Abby. We drove across town to North Decatur to watch the Junior Varsity Pirates face the young Chargers in their season-opener. It was good to see all of our sports-parent friends again. The boys jumped out to an early lead and coasted to a 10-4 win that was cut short by two innings due to no lights on their varsity field. In fact, the facility was quite basic – there wasn’t much room for all of the Greensburg fans / parents. Bryan and several of us stood down the line, past the fence to have a clear view of the field. Luke did not start but was able to come in to play first base in the 5th inning. He made one play, catching the only ball that came his way. It was a pop-up with two outs that seemed to hang in the air forever. He was able to hold on to it and record the final out to secure the win. Unfortunately, they called the game and he didn’t have a chance to bat. Drew also saw some action – he played an inning in right field but did not get an at-bat either. The boys are now 1-0 on the season. Luke & Drew went out with their friends after the game while the girls and I tried to go to Chilis and BWR – but both had at least a 30-minute wait. So, we ended up at Pizza King for pizza and a pitcher of beer. …Low and behold, guess who showed up out there too? Luke and Drew came in with their buddies. Although Luke didn’t sit with us, he let us buy him dinner (I can’t blame him, I would’ve too!). We came home and watched a few shows afterward. Luke had Drew & Grayson over to spend the night (there were supposed to be two others, but they couldn’t stay). Ann & I both ended up falling asleep in the living room and turned-in early… Here are pictures of the latest additions to the Hot Wheels collection.

hw19.03.49 hw19.03.50 hw19.03.51 hw19.03.52 hw19.03.53 hw19.03.54 hw19.03.55 hw19.03.56 hw19.03.57 hw19.03.58 hw19.03.59 hw19.03.60 hw19.03.61 hw19.03.62 hw19.03.63 hw19.03.64

We finally had a chance to sleep-in on Saturday. The boys got up and went to a rainy baseball practice. I got up and edited blog pictures, enjoying the downtime. Ann & Bu enjoyed a girls’ day out, filled with lunch, nails and shopping. Luke & I went over to Mom & Sandy’s house and surprised Gma with a new copy of her high school yearbook that she lost many years ago. I think we really surprised her…and she’s hard to surprise!! Next, we made a run to the border for lunch then did some Hot Wheels hunting and ran to Walmart for groceries. We took it easy on a rainy, gloomy afternoon. Luke played PS4, napped an eventually fell asleep out in the family room and ended up sleeping out there overnight. Meanwhile I checked-in this week’s Hot Wheels finds and caught up on my DVR’ed shows. The girls came back and Ann assumed her position in the recliner. Abby cleaned her room, had Brittney over then they went out on the town and ended up out at Brittney’s boyfriend’s house. But the big news of the day was Purdue facing the #1-seeded UVA in a battle of conference champions – UVA from the ACC and PU, of course, from the Big 10. It was a neck-and-neck fight the whole way with Edwards going off for 42 points and setting records for most 3-pointers in a tourney and most points through four games. Unfortunately, he didn’t get much help from the other kids this night, which kept them from pulling away. The officiating was horrendous in the game and seemed to be biased towards the higher-seeded team on several occasions. At the end of regulation, Edwards hit a 3-pointer off the glass to put the Boilers up by 2. Eiffert pulled down a key rebound on the next play to put his team in a position to win, passing it out to Cline who was fouled with only seconds left. He hit the 1st one to go up by 3 but missed the 2nd one, which would’ve put them up by two scores and sealed the game. The Boilers intentionally fouled during the ensuing play and after hitting the first free throw, the UVA player purposely missed the 2nd one and Purdue couldn’t get the rebound (which was typical of the night). Instead, the ball was tipped back past half court, which seemed to clinch the game…but then they threw it the length of the floor and they somehow hit a floater as time expired and sent the game to OT for the second straight game. The Boilers didn’t play very well in the overtime period and didn’t get any calls to go their way…and the Boilers found themselves down three with seconds to play and one final gasp of life remaining. Edwards brought the ball up court and threw a tough pass to Cline on the sideline, which went flying past him. …And as the ball slipped through his fingers, so did Purdue’s chance to go to the Final Four for the first time since 1980. They ended up losing by five and breaking the hearts of all their fans. And suddenly, the unthinkable had happened; we blew another chance of capturing a championship. I sure hope Carson returns next year, but I’m not holding my breath.

Sunday was Dad B’s 71st birthday. Ann & I had talked early in the day that we need to get the kids together so that we can all sing to him on the phone and then pass him around and catch up…but the kids were in an out so much today that we forgot and by the time I remembered, it was late and the kids were all gone. We enjoyed sleeping in today before getting around to our weekly household chores. Abby got cleaned-up and went over to spend time with Grandma and Gigi before packing up and heading back to school. Luke cleaned-up around the house then went out to lift with Drew & Blane, but the Fieldhouse was closed. Instead, they went to Drew’s house and then called me to come get Drew’s motorcycle from Shack’s house and take it out to the Messer compound. He stayed out there with the boys until the early evening. Matt called and talked with Ann. Taylor is doing better and finally had a grip on her pain, thankfully. Mom & Pixie came over to visit for a little bit. She mended my favorite shorts and told us she was enjoying her new yearbook. Abby also got her yearbook from last year, finally. I should have some scans from it to share here next week. We took it easy and watched racing, basketball, classic sci-fi and got caught up on DVR’ed shows. We wrapped up the week by watching the season finale of The Walking Dead and Talking Dead. Although it flurried a couple times today, it was a pretty day. It was a relaxing way to wind down the week before we start over again tomorrow morning… Here are pictures of the 1956 Greensburg yearbook we gave Mom O this weekend.

gbyb01 gbyb02 gbyb03 gbyb04 gbyb05 gbyb06 gbyb07 gbyb08 gbyb09 gbyb10 gbyb11 gbyb12 gbyb13 gbyb14 gbyb15 gbyb16 gbyb17 gbyb18 gbyb19 gbyb20 gbyb21 gbyb22

Next up is our Waybac section, which continues to feature photo album #17 and has all our pictures from our vacation at Walt Disney World in June 2004. We lead off with various pictures of us on the monorail; our view outside our room at the Contemporary; the kids getting a special ride at the front of the monorail; next we head to Animal Kingdom to see Abby participating at the show called The Festival of the Lion King; then we see various scenes around the MGM Studios theme park; next we have more scenes from around the Contemporary, including Bu running with the Monorail (mimicking the real-life incident from the day before); then we head back to Magic Kingdom for pix outside Main Street, U.S.A. and finally we see more scenes of us watching fireworks from on top of the Contemporary – including another classic dance pose by Abs. 😊

Waybac.2004.06.wdw346 Waybac.2004.06.wdw347 Waybac.2004.06.wdw348 Waybac.2004.06.wdw349 Waybac.2004.06.wdw350 Waybac.2004.06.wdw351 Waybac.2004.06.wdw352 Waybac.2004.06.wdw353 Waybac.2004.06.wdw354 Waybac.2004.06.wdw355 Waybac.2004.06.wdw356 Waybac.2004.06.wdw357 Waybac.2004.06.wdw358 Waybac.2004.06.wdw359 Waybac.2004.06.wdw360 Waybac.2004.06.wdw361 Waybac.2004.06.wdw362 Waybac.2004.06.wdw363 Waybac.2004.06.wdw364 Waybac.2004.06.wdw365 Waybac.2004.06.wdw366 Waybac.2004.06.wdw367 Waybac.2004.06.wdw368 Waybac.2004.06.wdw369

We had a few submissions for the Shit the Luke Says, but as always, I didn’t write them down and forgot them… It just so happened that while I was writing the blog today, Luke was talking with Ann & I about how lucky he was to have such a fantastic relationship with his grandmother – as do all the kids. Many people don’t have that experience and that he should take advantage of every chance he gets to spend or talk with all his grandparents – that Ann & I haven’t had grandparents in many years – I lost my grandpa in 1991 and Ann lost her grandma in 1995. Luke then wanted to know about her biological family…only it didn’t quite come out that way. Instead, he innocently asked, “What about your binary family?” LOL 😊

Finally, we wrap up with our video section which features two new home movies from this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply