Riot on the Radio, Pictures on the TV…

It was another fast week, here at the Scheu abode. Matt worked as a teacher in Zionsville while taking his final U Indy class for graduation and helping Ms. Taylor when he could. We got to see him briefly this week, which was nice. Abby worked hard in her classes as her semester winds down at FC. She had a big formal dance this week and blessed us with her presence a couple times as well. Luke had three games scheduled for this week. He served his one-game suspension, one game was cancelled and he started in the other one. He enjoyed a short week due to the Easter holiday. Ann continued to make progress on rehabilitating her knees at physical therapy and did more cooking than she’s done since her surgery. I enjoyed going to the ball diamonds to watch the boys this week. I fell just short of my walking goal with about fourteen miles. We had a couple things break down and although we replaced one of them, we hope to repair the other. It was great getting our little family together for the Easter holiday this weekend, but it obviously also brought up the yearnings for those who weren’t with us as well. That’s what makes all the holidays so bittersweet for us. The weather was all over the place – from hot and sunny to cold and windy to rainy and even some snow! The spring continues to blossom around us as the landscapes change again. Although we got in the yard this week, it wasn’t enough; our lawn looks a little rowdy right now and needs some love. Hello again and welcome to the latest edition of the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work and school on Monday morning. It was a much cooler day. Black Betty struggled to and from work today so we called her friend Jerry to set up a date. Ann had a long day at work, dealing with some drama. My day went fast until about 2 / 230, then it drug the rest of the day until I got out and walked three miles around the airport property. I dropped Ann off at home and went to the JV baseball game at the high school. Luke was serving his one-game suspension for last week’s play at the plate. He was relegated to the dugout the entire time. It was a close game that went really fast. Drew had a good game and you could tell it was killing Luke to just sit and watch that night. The boys won the game for him, 8-5, to move their record to 5-3 on the year. He went out with his teammates to celebrate with dinner at ElRep. Ann called in an order to Chilis while I was at the game and I picked it up on my way home for our meal. We watched American Idol and had to turn the heat back on to keep Ann from freezing while she iced her knees. Here are pictures of Luke’s baseball game last week vs. Jennings County.

lp19.04.03 lbjc19.01 lbjc19.02a lbjc19.03a lbjc19.04a lbjc19.05a lbjc19.06a lbjc19.07a lbjc19.08a lbjc19.09a lbjc19.10a lbjc19.11a lbjc19.12a lbjc19.13a lbjc19.14a lbjc19.15a lbjc19.16a lbrl19.03 lbrl19.04 lbrl19.05 lbrl19.07

Tuesday was a nice day. It was also a fast one for Ann & I because we left a couple hours early so she could attend physical therapy on her knees. Abby & Garrett came down to visit Ann and pick up a dress for this weekend. I walked a 5K at the cemetery again while she was working in PT. Luke had a good day at school then was supposed to play in his first Freshman bball game vs. Batesville. Originally it was to be played at Batesville then it was changed to a home game before it was finally postponed last night. Instead of the game, he attended baseball practice. When he got home, Luke & I mowed the lawn then he drove Betty White to Walmart and later followed me in Barney as we took Black Betty to Jerry to be repaired. Luke did a good job of driving by himself – he’s ready to get that license. We took it easy that evening – Luke played Fortnight and Ann & I watched 9-1-1 and The Resident before putting on the American Idol results show. We were saddened to see some of our favorites voted off the show. Late that night, Luke got a notification that Thursday’s game had been pushed up a day due to the impending storm system moving through the area that day. …And this is why Bryan and I aren’t coaching a summer league team this year- we were warned that the baseball schedule gets crazy this time of year…and next week it’s supposed to rain everyday – so we’ll see how that turns out! Here are pictures of Luke’s game vs. Rushville last week.

lbrl19.08 lbrl19.09 lbrl19.10 lbrl19.11 lbrl19.12 lbrl19.13 lbrl19.14 lbrl19.15 lbrl19.16 lbrl19.17 lbrl19.18 lbrl19.19 lbr1l9.20 lbrl19.21 lbrl19.22 lbrl19.23 lbrl19.24 lbrl19.25 lbrl19.26 lbrl19.27 lbrl19.28 lbrl19.29 lbrl19.30 lbrl19.31 lbrl19.32 lbrl19.33 lbrl19.34

Wednesday was noticeably cooler as we headed off to work. Thankfully, I had a fast day at work…Ann on the other hand; no so much. At this rate, she may need another couple months off of work soon! I walked three miles on a warm afternoon then we left early to drive to Aurora, down in Dearborn county. Luke had a “good” day then traveled with the junior varsity Pirates to face South Dearborn, looking for the season sweep. I’m glad we went early because we had some trouble finding the field. We beat the team there for whatever reason. Coach Mac was in a good mood, teasing Ann & I that he was happy to have his, “Batboy back for the game,” referring to Luke being off suspension now and able to resume playing. 😊 Thankfully, Luke landed back in the staring lineup, playing in left and batting clean-up. We built an early lead, jumping out to a six-point advantage after three innings and had a comfortable lead at 7-2. But no lead is safe with the Cardiac Kids…and after the fourth, the boys clung to a mere 9-6 advantage. We came back strong again and were up 13-6 at the end of six and wound up winning 15-7. This victory raises their record to 6-3 on the year now. Luke had a good game. He had two balls hit his way and fielded them both. At the plate, he officially went 1-2 with a rocket single through the shortstop, getting an RBI in the process. He was also walked twice, stole a base and scored three times. Drew had a great game, going 2-2 with a double, 3 RBI, 3 walks and a pair of nice catches out in right. It was great to see the boys having success at this next level. I just wish Bryan and Angie didn’t have to miss it. They had a prior work engagement they couldn’t get out of on such short notice. Here are pictures of Luke’s baseball game at Rushville last week.

lbrv19.01 lbrv19.02 lbrv19.03 lbrv19.04 lbrv19.05 lbrv19.06 lbrv19.07 lbrv19.08 lbrv19.09 lbrv19.10 lbrv19.11 lbrv19.12 lbrv19.13 lbrv19.14 lbrv19.15 lbrv19.16 lbrv19.17 lbrv19.18 lbrv19.19 lbrv19.20 lbrv19.21 lbrv19.22 lbrv19.23 lbrv19.24 lbrv19.25 lbrv19.26 lbrv19.27 lbrv19.28 lbrv19.29 lbrv19.30 lbrv19.31 lbrv19.32 lbrv19.33 lbrv19.34 lbrv19.35 lbrv19.36 lbrv19.37 lbrv19.38 lbrv19.39 lbrv19.40 lbrv19.41 lbrv19.42 lbrv19.43 lbrv19.44 lbrv19.45

We had a rainy start to our Thursday. It looked like rain all day. Black Betty was in the shop, but we never heard from Jerry – so not sure what that means. Luke had school then went to baseball practice. He was supposed to play the Easter Bunny for Gigi and WTRE but practice ran late. Ann & I had long days at work (I’m not sure I like working full days anymore!). I walked a 5K under the threat of rain the whole time, but it never came until we headed for home. Ann ordered all her supplies for Easter lunch off the Kroger website a couple days ago and after work we picked it all up that evening before leaving town. It was quite a cool procedure and very easy for Ann, who obviously can’t get around well enough to go shopping for extended periods of time yet. When we got home, Luke had Corbin over to stay the night. They walked to Addison’s house to play basketball until it started to pour. Ann iced her knees and got in a quick nap before I ran her over to her After-Prom meeting at the McCloud mansion. The boys played video games in the Family Room, ordered a pizza then went out walking in the neighborhood in between rain storms until late. It was a sad night as our 2001 Mitsubishi big screen TV died. ☹ Ann and I got to talking and figured out that I’ve never bought a TV before – granted, she bought me that Sony Wega years ago, but I personally have never purchased one. All the ones I’ve ever owned have come as gifts…so this is both sucky and exciting all at the same time! Here are pictures of the latest additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hw19.04.26 hw19.04.27 hw19.04.28 hw19.04.29 hw19.04.30 hw19.04.31 hw19.04.32 hw19.04.33 hw19.04.34 hw19.04.35 hw19.04.36 hw19.04.37 hw19.04.38 hw19.04.39 hw19.04.40 hw19.04.41 hw19.04.42 hw19.04.43 hw19.04.44 hw19.04.45 hw19.04.46

It was a fast day at work for Ann & I on Good Friday. Luke had the day off and Corbin left when they went to baseball practice. We heard from Jerry, who said Black Betty was ready to be picked up. We left work after a half day, which his when Ann’s office closes on Fridays. We shopped at Best Buy for a new Samsung TV & soundbar. We had done some homework the night before, so we kind of knew what we were looking for. But we talked with one of the salesmen and ended up with an upgrade that we really liked and even more than that… We were especially thankful that it actually fit in the back of Barney…just barely! We came home and Luke helped me get the old Mitsubishi big screen moved out to the driveway until big trash day (can you say, White Trash?). We brought in the new TV and set it all up. He was a big help. As Luke & I set up the new TV, Ann iced her knees then made an amazing dinner of tuna steak and sides of cauliflower rice for me and potato wedges for them. We watched our first movie on the new big screen called Escape Room. It was just a cold, wet. miserable day so we were happy to just stay inside that afternoon and evening, keeping warm under the blankets, snuggled up with the dogs in the glow of our new boob tube. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.04.70 sis19.04.71 sis19.04.72 sis19.04.73 sis19.04.74 sis19.04.75 sis19.04.76 sis19.04.77 sis19.04.78 sis19.04.79 sis19.04.80 sis19.04.81 sis19.04.82 sis19.04.83 sis19.04.84 sis19.04.85 sis19.04.86 sis19.04.87 sis19.04.88 sis19.04.89 sis19.04.90 sis19.04.91 sis19.04.92 sis19.04.93 sis19.04.94 sis19.04.95 sis19.04.96 sis91.04.97 sis19.04.98 sis19.04.99 sis19.04.100 sis19.04.101 sis19.04.102 sis19.04.103 sis19.04.104 sis19.04.105 sis19.04.106 sis19.04.107 sis19.04.108 sis19.04.109 sis19.04.110 sis19.04.111 sis19.04.112 sis19.04.113 sis19.04.114 sis19.04.115 sis19.04.116 sis19.04.117 sis19.04.118

With both dogs in Luke’s room overnight, we all enjoyed sleeping in on Saturday. Unfortunately, it was a cold, wet, depressing morning. It had rained all night and was still raining when we got up that day. In fact, it would end up raining the entire day. While Annie iced her knees and took a nap that morning, I cleaned-up the house, loaded the dishwasher a couple times, did laundry and wrote-out bills. It was obviously too wet to mow, but we really need to do Mom & Sandy’s yard as well as our house again. Once Luke crawled out of bed, we all got cleaned-up and drove to Columbus to find a TV stand for our new bemouth. It was not an easy task, as we needed one large and strong enough to hold our new big screen. We tried three stores but struck-out in our quest. We kicked around ideas and decided to drive up to Greenwood to check a few stores up there. For whatever reason, we ended up taking 31 instead of 65 and drove past the place with that huge rocking chair outside of the shop, called Long’s Furniture World. In fact, we literally drove past it and only decided to turn around a half mile down the road, on a hunch. It turned out to be a good call as we found the perfect piece. It had only been there a few days. They were having a sale, but we still got them talked down a little more before we loaded it up in the back of Barney. Poor Luke didn’t have any room to sit because of how big it was, so he laid under it as we drove to lunch at Ruby Tuesday’s. They have the best salad bar…and their New Orleans Seafood is delicious. On our way home, Luke decided to ride in the very back, like how we used to ride in the old station wagons in the 70s and 80s! He and I were able to safely lug in the new stand and get it all set up…it looks so nice. It’s quite the upgrade from what we had just a few days ago, that’s for sure! Luke and I went to get the Pacifica from J & A Auto, but when I tried to drive it, it was still acting up. It was shaking violently and nearly stalled-out twice before I even got back to the square. So, I called Luke and had him turn Barney around and meet me back at the shop. The check engine light wouldn’t stop flashing and it felt just like it did when we dropped it off, so not sure what’s happened since he test drove it successfully… When we got home, we watched Aquaman on the big screen. …And man, I swear it was like a mini Imax! Luke ran around with his buddies and ended up fishing, out at Drew’s house. Abby got all dressed-up and went up to Indy with Garrett for his Lambda Chi formal. They ended up staying up there for the night and headed back to school the next morning. Later that evening, Ann started cooking for tomorrow’s meal and then turned-in early. Luke & I watched another movie (Mortal Engines) then called it a day ourselves. We have a few social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.04.67 smp19.04.68 smp19.04.69 smp19.04.70 smp19.04.71 smp19.04.72 smp19.04.73 smp19.04.74 smp19.04.75 smp19.04.76

Ann was up early to continue cooking as Luke & I slept in on a bright but cold Easter Sunday. As she baked her goods, we watched classic sci fi (Star Trek and Buck Rodgers) before we got cleaned-up and headed over to Gma & Gigi’s house for our annual big meal / family get-together. This year, we had Matt but not Taylor (had to work), Abby but no Garrett (he went home for his family – although she did bring her friend Toni), Luke, Ann & I as well as Dee & Jamie, but no Grace (she too had to work); Bu’s BFF Megan was supposed to come but she ended up cancelling as well. Keith, Rosie & Megan were not able to make it this year due to their cat being sick. Linda & Dave couldn’t make it either. “Grandpa” Joe made it, so did Ms. Amy…and of course Mom and Sandy. Ann, Dee and Sandy really helped out this year so Gma didn’t have to do as much. But if you know Maryann, you know that wouldn’t stop her from going all out and being a wonderful host as always. This meal was absolutely huge – there was so much food! We had a spiral ham, mashed potatoes and noodles, homemade mac & cheese, green bean casserole, artichoke casserole, cheesy potato casserole, baked beans, corn casserole, pasta salad, olive dip, rolls, orange fluff, brownies, chocolate chip cookies, frosted graham crackers, strawberry tarts as well as a ton of candy. We ate and ate and ate while watching the Pacers get swept out of the playoffs by the Celtics. The kids had a modified version of their annual egg hunt. This year, instead of hiding the eggs in the long, wet grass; Dee just dumped the lot of them on the floor and the kids rummaged through them to get their treasures and candies. Once the kids had their goodies, we all joined Gigi at the table for three games of BINGO. Toni won the first two games but I won the last one…but the kids took all my winnings! Dee was able to “Find the Pickle” in the following competition. We visited for a bit then said our good-byes. The kids came home and we talked and watched an episode of Scooby-Doo before Matt, Abby and Toni all had to head back to school. Luke played Fortnight and rearranged his room while Ann &Y I watched a movie and relaxed. We opened-up the house and enjoyed the gorgeous weather. It turned out to be a warm, sunny day. Later, Luke drove he and I back over to Mom & Sandy’s house to collect some leftovers for dinner. We visited for just a bit then brought back a ton of food and stuffed ourselves again. We watched American Idol, where it was Disney night. We thought America got the Top Eight correct and that the judges made the right call to not save the bottom two that were cut tonight. Afterwards, Ann went to bed and I watched Game of Thrones. It was the perfect way to wind down and wrap up another long, but exciting week before we turn around and start it all over again tomorrow.

Next up is our Waybac section which features a few pictures Ann gave me of Gigi with her sisters, circa 1960. The rest of this batch comes from our photo album # 17 of our young family on holiday at Walt Disney World in June 2004. That segment shows us watching a short show outside Cinderella’s castle; then walking around Tomorrowland; taking pix on Main Street U.S.A. with Keith & Rosie; then we head over to the Polynesian with Keith & Rosie for dinner and show called Spirit of Aloha, where Abby got to participate; the family posing for a photo with the Epcot icon Spaceship Earth in the background; Abby meeting her hero, Snow White, as well as Aurora from Sleeping Beauty; and finally we arrived safely back home in Barney, where Gma welcomed us home – note Bu still in her Snow White outfit that she wore all the way home and for the next several days. 😊

Waybac.1960.Gigi1 Waybac.1960.Gigi2 Waybac.1960.Gigi3 Waybac.1960.Gigi4 Waybac.2004.06.wdw411 Waybac.2004.06.wdw412 Waybac.2004.06.wdw413 Waybac.2004.06.wdw414 Waybac.2004.06.wdw415 Waybac.2004.06.wdw416 Waybac.2004.06.wdw417 Waybac.2004.06.wdw418 Waybac.2004.06.wdw419 Waybac.2004.06.wdw420 Waybac.2004.06.wdw421 Waybac.2004.06.wdw422 Waybac.2004.06.wdw423 Waybac.2004.06.wdw424 Waybac.2004.06.wdw425 Waybac.2004.06.wdw426 Waybac.2004.06.wdw427 Waybac.2004.06.wdw428 Waybac.2004.06.wdw429 Waybac.2004.06.wdw430 Waybac.2004.06.wdw431

And finally, we wrap up with our video section which features one new home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that puts the kibosh on this week’s entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply