Despite the Heat it’ll be Alright…

It was another fast week for the Scheu family. We enjoyed spending time with all the kids this week. Matt continued working at the elementary school in Zionsville, finished his last college class, got Taylor moved into her new place and finally got his apartment fully furnished. Abby finished her first year of college, got all her stuff moved home and got all her ducks in a row to start working again. Luke finished his last full week of school and played five baseball games. Ann continued with her physical therapy but her road to recovery is a long one and is beginning to wear on her. Still, she doesn’t let it slow her down. I again fell short of my exercise goal this week, logging only seven miles or so and my diet was nowhere near compliant, but it was a week of celebration so I’ll try harder next week. Even though the numbers weren’t there, I still kept plenty active, getting in over 8K steps each day. The weather went from cold (with the heat on in the house) at the start of the week to hot (with the air turned on in the house) by the weekend. We still had a ton of rain as spring is reluctantly giving way to summer. Another sure sign that summer is right around the corner was that many of shows concluded this week, including The Simpsons, Family Guy, Blue Bloods, Hawaii Five-O, SWAT, Blacklist, American Idol and, of course, the series finale of Game of Thrones. Here’s hoping that the hotter summer months will let us slow down a little… Hello again and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work and school on a cold, wet Monday morning. Black Betty ran well that day and in fact she did all week for us. Luke had a good day at school then went on to his next baseball game. It was the first of four games scheduled for the week – a flurry of activity to end a quick season. Ann & I also enjoyed fast days at work. I walked about three miles around the airport property before we left to watch Luke & the JV Pirates host Connersville on a bitterly cold evening. Luke & Drew did not start nor play again – a fact that frustrated Bryan & I so much that he didn’t even bother to show up and Ann & I left after the first inning. The frigid weather made our decision easier. Who wants to watch other people’s kids play and freeze their butts off at the same time? So, Ann & I ran to Walmart to get snacks for tomorrow night’s game then I came back out and picked up Luke after the game. He said they lost again, 4-8. We had leftovers from yesterday’s meal and watched American Idol. Alejandro (one of our faves) made the finals next week, as did Laine – so we were happy! We all went to bed early that evening so that we could be up early in the morning. Here are pictures of Luke’s baseball game vs. East Central last week.

lp19.05.03 lbjec19.01 lbjec19.02 lbjec19.03 lbjec19.04 lbjec19.05 lbjec19.06 lbjec19.07 lbjec19.08 lbjec19.09 lbjec19.10 lbjec19.11 lbjec19.12 lbjec19.13 lbjec19.14 lbjec19.15 lbjec19.16 lbjec19.17 lbjec19.18 lbjec19.19 lbjec19.20 lbjec19.21 lbjec19.22 lbjec19.23

Tuesday had a cool, foggy start but turned out to be gorgeous. Luke again had a good day at school, working hard to bring up his math grade, then went on to his next baseball game. Ann & I went in to work early that morning so I could facilitate our annual Omelet Day during Hospital Week. This year we made forty made-to-order works of art. A huge thanks goes to Victor and Justin for all their hard work! I only had enough time to walk a little over a mile around the college campus before we had to leave early to drive to Brookville. That’s where the Freshman Pirates faced Franklin County on the varsity field. It was only the second time we played on a school’s main field and it was very nice. We spoke to Coach Jackson before the game, who was there with the track team for the Sectional meet. He said he was proud of Luke for setting a new Personal Best for bench press that day in his class. Luke said that it was even better than that as he had officially joined the 700 club in lifting with that PB! As for the game, the boys jumped on the Wildcats early that evening and never looked back, winning 9-4. The Freshman record is now 2-0 and overall this squad is now 9-9 on the year. Luke started at first base and recorded 5 assisted putout and one unassisted putout. He had four plate appearances going 0-3 with a walk. But the big news of the evening was Drew’s hitting and the fact that Drew got the win with Luke recording the save! It was his first pitching appearance of the year. He pitched one inning, facing five batters. He gave up two hits, struck out one and earned the first save of his high school career. You’d have to go back several years to say, “Messer with the win and Scheu with the save!” Let’s hope it’s not the last… We met up with Bryan & Angie at Skyline for dinner then picked up Luke after he and the boys got done running laps around the football field in the dark when they got back to town. Apparently, a couple boys had missed signs that evening. Mr. Abrell reached out to me earlier that day and told me he had uploaded a ton of JV baseball pictures. We told the other parents and then I went out to look ourselves. We need to place an order, as there are several good ones of Lucas. Here are pictures of Luke’s baseball game vs. Milan last weekend.

lbjmi19.01 lbjmi19.02 lbjmi19.03 lbjmi19.04 lbjmi19.05 lbjmi19.06 lbjmi19.07 lbjmi19.08 lbjmi19.09 lbjmi19.10 lbjmi19.11 lbjmi19.12 lbjmi19.13

Luke & I were up early on Wednesday to run him into school for extra help studying with the teacher for his Algebra final. He had a long day of school then went on to baseball practice. Ann & I drove Barney into work then left early to travel to Franklin to move Abby out of Elsey Hall at FC. She had her last final that day and is excited to begin summer vacation! Matt called Ann that day as well…and he FINALLY learned the outcome of his Chemistry final…he passed!! YAY! 😊 He is now officially done with school!! Way to go, buddy!! Luke suddenly decided today that he wanted to play summer baseball again this year. Who can blame him; he had very few reps at first (maybe ten innings, total?) and unofficially had 32 at-bats in 18 games this spring. So, after a couple texts and a call, he was playing with his buddy and neighbor, Addison. Ann & Abby got all her stuff packed up and I loaded it in the van and headed back to town. It was packed pretty full, but Dad taught me well and we had plenty of room leftover. We stopped at BWR on the way home for dinner and cocktails. Luke ended up getting done early at practice and Abby ran over to pick him up from practice so he could join us as well. We had a good time and Abby had an interview with the new manager out there so she could get on the schedule to start working soon. We eventually came home and unpacked everything. Abs has her work cut out for her, as her room it cram-packed full of stuff now! Later, I dropped him off at the ball diamonds so he could watch his team play and Bu ran out and picked him up later. Abby and I got all her stuff packed into her room and then we brought the old big screen TV back from the curb (the city didn’t take it on Big Trash Day today and none of the “pickers” took it either). She and I got it loaded it into the pickup so I can take it to the fairgrounds this weekend to recycle. Later that evening, Abby helped me take Barney over to Jerry’s garage to see why it is pissing antifreeze every time I shut it off. We wound down the day by watching a couple shows and napping in the living room. Thanks to Julie for cutting the dogs’ hair today – unfortunately, they were too matted and grubby to be cut appropriately to their breed – so they got shaved instead…but at least now they’re ready for the warmer summer days! Here is a selection of Gracie’s lovely senior pictures from Dee-Dee. It’s hard to believe she is graduating this year!!

gbsp19.01 gbsp19.02 gbsp19.03 gbsp19.04 gbsp19.05 gbsp19.06 gbsp19.07 gbsp19.08 gbsp19.09 gbsp19.10 gbsp19.11 gbsp19.12 gbsp19.13 gbsp19.14 gbsp19.15 gbsp19.16 gbsp19.17 gbsp19.18 gbsp19.19 gbsp19.20 gbsp19.21 gbsp19.22 gbsp19.23 gbsp19.24

Thursday was a dark, gloom day. Luke went into school and Ann & I went back to work while Abby slept-in with the dogs. Molly doesn’t do well with changes. Each time the kids come and go, she ends up peeing in the house. Today was no different. With Abby back in the house, she had “accidents” in two spots. Not sure if there is a doggie Xanax?! 😊 Ann & I had busy days then I ran her to physical therapy. While she had fun swimming, I walked two and a half miles at the cemetery on a warm, muggy day near 80 that left me drenched in sweat. We left work early to come home and pack up Black Betty and pickup Abs as we headed on to Luke’s last JV game of the season in Connersville. The Spartans and Pirates were pretty evenly matched. Unfortunately, they called the game after just two innings when it began to pour with the score tied 2-2. Although it rained hard, it did eventually stop after like a half hour. But by then, they had sent everyone home. We aren’t sure if they’ll ever make that game up or just call it quits. With the varsity schedule concluded and Sectionals starting this week, it is very unlikely. Luke & Drew did not start nor play before the big storm blew in and sent everyone scattering. The girls and I were perfectly dry as we sat under a covered area in the park where they held the game. To our surprise it was not held at the high school as every other game had been this year. Instead it was at a random city park, nestled in the middle of town. Thankfully, Luke was able to send his location to Ann’s iPhone and we followed the signal – that’s pretty cool! We came back and found out we had forgot to close up the house! Thankfully, we only had a small mess in the kitchen, which we cleaned-up quickly. Luke came back shortly after we got home and we cleaned-out the fridge for dinner. I think those are some of my favorite nights when you get to have a smorgasbord of food! Here are the latest additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc19.05.12 hwc19.05.13 hwc19.05.14 hwc19.05.15 hwc19.05.16 hwc19.05.17 hwc19.05.18 hwc19.05.19 hwc19.05.20 hwc19.05.21 hwc19.05.22 hwc19.05.23 hwc19.05.24 hwc19.05.25 hwc19.05.26 hwc19.05.27 hwc19.05.28 hwc19.05.29 hwc19.05.30 hwc19.05.31 hwc19.05.32 hwc19.05.33 hwc19.05.34 hwc19.05.44

Friday was a fast day at work for Ann & I. After leaving around noon, we went to Lowes to find new cushions for our chairs on the back patio. While shopping in that area, we sat down in one of their little displays and after some conversation, we ended up with a new set of patio furniture! We got it all loaded into Black Betty and stopped at Wings & Rings again for a late lunch and a couple brews. Abs met up with us again…because college kids are always hungry! LOL! We came home and prepped for Luke’s final high school game of the year. It was his final Freshman game and they were facing East Central. Just as we were packing stuff into the car, a late storm blew through and caused the game to be cancelled. Much like last night, the rain only lasted a few minutes and passed on by. In fact, the sun came out before game time and stayed out the rest of the night. …Not really sure why they cancelled it so early – I guess so the Trojans didn’t have to travel? The sun only heated things up. It was not only hot but the humidity level was through the roof. With the game cancelled, we took the opportunity to put together the patio set, which took a couple hours. Matt & Taylor came down for the game but stayed to help with the furniture. They were a big help, actually. Just as we were finishing up, they went over to Gma & Gigi’s house to meet up with Susan & Casey. Susan took them out to the elementary school where she ended up giving Matt a TON of cool stuff for his classroom. He said it is currently pretty empty and he wants to change that for next year; so this was very cool on her part. He was thrilled! We finished outside and came in to get cleaned-up. And cooled down. We ended up closing the house back up and turning on the air because of the heat & humidity. Later, we met up Matt & Taylor at ElRep to celebrate him officially becoming an alumnus! I think the school will eventually send us his diploma in the mail. We had a big dinner and several margaritas! Abby & Taylor drove us home and we all enjoyed a little porch time on the new furniture. Matt & Taylor had to take off earlier than they wanted because they were moving her into her new house in the morning. They left just as Ms. Megan came over to spend the night with Abby. They ended up staying up much later than Ann & I, who fell asleep shortly after Matt left. Here are some random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.05.98 sis19.05.99 sis19.05.100 sis19.05.101 sis19.05.102 sis19.05.103 sis19.05.104 sis19.05.105 sis19.05.106 sis19.05.107 sis19.05.108 sis19.05.109 sis19.05.110 sis19.05.111 sis19.05.112 sis19.05.113 sis19.05.114 sis19.05.115 sis19.05.116 sis19.05.117 sis19.05.118 sis19.05.120 sis19.05.121 sis19.05.122 sis19.05.123 sis19.05.124 sis19.05.125 sis19.05.126 sis19.05.127 sis19.05.128 sis19.05.129 sis19.05.130 sis19.05.131

The damn dogs had me up before the dawn on Saturday morning. I couldn’t go back to sleep, so I just stayed up and wrote out bills. Next, I took Betty White out to the fairgrounds where we recycled the old big screen TV. It was a good set that lasted two decades. Afterward, Luke & I mowed at home then went over to do the same at Mom & Sandy’s house too. When we finished, I dropped Luke off at home and went over to Mesco where I borrowed Bryan’s cargo van and drove up to Greenwood. I met Matt & Taylor at Bob’s Furniture where we picked up his new bedroom furniture. He & I got it all moved up and into his new apartment, where we quickly assembled and installed it. Unfortunately, I couldn’t stick around long before I had to head on down the road. Matt ran Taylor to the local ER to have a lump looked at and thankfully, it was nothing. Meanwhile, I drove on to Brookville where I met up with Ann & Abby to watch a baseball game. The Cubs faced the FC Firestone team. The Laser went 1-2 with a walk and a mile-high fly ball that Abby said, “got lost in a cloud” and somehow found the ground. In his final at-bat, he hit a ball so hard down the left field line that was likely a homerun but instead went foul. On the very next pitch, the Mighty Casey struck-out and the Cubs lost 5-9. The girls left to go get cleaned-up for the annual Dixon Dance Revue. Luke & I stopped at Dairy Cottage but it was packed so we just went to McDonald’s and sat down for a burger. When we got back to town, we met the girls at the high school to give them the cameras then went and filled-up the van and returned it to Mesco. We came home and closed-up the house again as it was another hot, humid day. The van read 90 degrees on our way home. Luke wound up running around the neighborhood and woods until well after dark. Abby & Ann had a good time watching the girls, including her old team Bu was thrilled but a little sad when she crowned the new Ms. Personality at the end of the show. After pictures, the girls went for their traditional late dinner at Pizza King. Molie joined them this year then brought Luke & I most of their pizza. Luke played Fortnight that night after moving the A/C from his room to the family room and I watched a replay of the first round of Indy 500 qualifying and then the NASCAR all-star race at Charlotte. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.05.101 smp19.05.102 smp19.05.103 smp19.05.104 smp19.05.105 smp19.05.106 smp19.05.107 smp19.05.108 smp19.05.109 smp19.05.110 smp19.05.111 smp19.05.112 smp19.05.113 smp19.05.114 smp19.05.115 smp19.05.116 smp19.05.117 smp19.05.118 smp19.05.119 smp19.05.120 smp19.05.121 smp19.05.122 smp19.05.123 smp19.05.124 smp19.05.125 smp19.05.126 smp19.05.127 smp19.05.128 smp19.05.129 smp19.05.130 smp19.05.131 smp19.05.132 smp19.05.133 smp19.05.134 smp19.05.135 smp19.05.136 smp19.05.137 smp19.05.138 smp19.05.139 smp19.05.140 smp19.05.141 smp19.05.142 smp19.05.143 smp19.05.144 smp19.05.145 smp19.05.146 smp19.05.147 smp19.05.148 smp19.05.149 smp19.05.150

Sunday was our slow-down day, thankfully. Ann & I tried to sleep in but couldn’t; so, we got up and did our weekly household chores while the kids slept in till noon on a dreary, rainy, humid day. We took it easy the whole day. Everyone in the house took a nap, late in the afternoon. The 2nd day of Indy 500 qualifying was delayed, but they eventually got everything in after the first round of storms blew through. After we got up from our naps, the kids ran to the store to get food and Ann cooked burgers, diced potatoes, baked cheesy broccoli and corn on the cob because it is summertime again. By the time they got back, it was storming hard and they got drenched as they ran from the car into the house. We didn’t get done eating until late but stayed up to watch the finale of American Idol. Our two faves made it to the finals – Ann was all about Laine and I was on the Alejandro train. Both sounded great tonight but only one could win the competition. This year’s American Idol is Laine Hardy. Ann went to bed but I had to stay up and watch the series finale of GOT before finally calling it a week…

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature photos from our #17 album. It has all our memories from our family vacation to Walt Disney World in June 2004. We lead off this time with a princess/prince performance at Cinderella’s Castle in the Magic Kingdom called Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire; next we see the view of Cinderella’s castle from Main St. USA as we wait for the fireworks display that evening; then we head back to the Polynesian resort for the Spirit of Aloha luau dinner with Keith & Rosie; next we see Abby & I in Epcot World Showcase, at the Japan Pavilion – outside the cool pagoda; and finally we have various pictures of our trip home, including Matt’s apt t-shirt and Abby in that Snow White dress that she wore all the way home and that entire summer!

Waybac.2004.06.wdw480 Waybac.2004.06.wdw481 Waybac.2004.06.wdw482 Waybac.2004.06.wdw483 Waybac.2004.06.wdw484 Waybac.2004.06.wdw485 Waybac.2004.06.wdw486 Waybac.2004.06.wdw487 Waybac.2004.06.wdw488 Waybac.2004.06.wdw489 Waybac.2004.06.wdw490 Waybac.2004.06.wdw491 Waybac.2004.06.wdw492 Waybac.2004.06.wdw493 Waybac.2004.06.wdw494 Waybac.2004.06.wdw495 Waybac.2004.06.wdw496 Waybac.2004.06.wdw497 Waybac.2004.06.wdw498 Waybac.2004.06.wdw499

We end with our video section which features on new home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s entry into the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply