…Hit the Ball and Touch ’em All, A Moment in the Sun!

We’ve had a great week, here at the Scheu abode since we last touched base. Matt worked on getting ready to start his first year of teaching school by decorating his room and attending various trainings. He also enjoyed spending the week with Ms. Taylor before she heads back to U Indy for her senior year. Abby worked full time at Buffalo Wings & Rings and made a couple trips up to college to prepare for her sophomore year. She also got to spend time with Megan and Garrett. Luke returned to school for his sophomore year of high school this week. He was again a two-sport athlete, wrapping up baseball and continuing to prepare for the coming football season. He won another championship, out at the baseball complex and hit is first ever over-the-fence homerun (that wasn’t called foul)! Ann continued to rehab her knees and received some confirmation from her doctor this week. She enjoyed spending time with her friends. I lost another couple pounds through the week as I met my weekly walking goal of fifteen miles and was decently compliant with my keto diet. I, too, enjoyed spending time with our friends this weekend which is always good for the soul. The weather was weird – we got rain a few days but somehow managed to be in a drought. We are excited to start football season but are surprised how fast the summer went and can’t believe school is back in session already. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

We enjoyed a warm start to the week on Monday. The only downside was that our friend, Mr. Humidity, decided to return to the area. It was a long day for Ann & I. I did get a chance to speak with Dad Scheu. He said he and Barb are doing well and enjoying a few daytrips and weekend excursions. We can only hope that they make it down our way sometime soon! Abby worked a double shift at Wings & Rings. Luke got to sleep in, play some video games and then had football practice that evening. He ran around with Blane the rest of the evening. I walked a 5K just ahead of a rainstorm – I literally got to the car and it started raining. Ann & I drove home in the pouring rain. Abby called me earlier day and says, “Dad; something’s wrong with my car…” So, of course, my minds starts racing…I’m like; great, is it the transmission, the engine…flat tire…is she stuck somewhere? Imagine my relief when she says that her taillight was cracked. She said she didn’t hit anyone and that someone must’ve hit her. I told her to leave it for me to look at that evening, so she swapped cars during lunch and took the truck back to work for her evening shift. Luckily, I was able to push Tonya’s light back into place and seal it with some liquid nails glue to make it water tight. She should be good to go, but I still want to look at replacing it. We spent the evening watching Shark Week shows. Here are pictures of Luke’s first tourney game vs. the Red Sox last week.

lp19.08.01 lbrs19.01 lbrs19.02 lbrs19.03 lbrs19.04 lbrs19.05 lbrs19.06 lbrs19.07 lbrs19.08 lbrs19.09 lbrs19.10 lbrs19.11 lbrs19.12 lbrs19.13 lbrs19.14 lbrs19.15 lbrs19.16 lbrs19.17 lbrs19.18 lbrs19.19 lbrs19.20 lbrs19.21 lbrs19.22 lbrs19.23 lbrs19.24 lbrs19.25 lbrs19.26 lbrs19.27 lbrs19.28 lbrs19.29 lbrs19.30

Tuesday was a hot/humid start to the day. We experienced a weird phenomenon in the area, called cold air funnels. It was another long day for me, doing monthly rounds. Ann enjoyed a fast day. I ran her to an appointment with her orthopedic doctor, who said she is doing good with her recovery – she’s just taking a little longer to heal; nothing to worry about. I dropped her off at a meeting afterward and returned to work. It rained all day but stopped shortly before I got out and walked a 5K. As if the heat and humidity wasn’t bad enough, I also had to endure bug-pocalypse that night! I shit you not – there were hundreds of thousands of flying insects I walked through during my walk. There were all different types of them; they were flying in my mouth and nose, bouncing off my sunglasses and forehead, getting stuck in my hair and arm hair. I was picking them off the entire time I was walking and still kept finding the little suckers for an hour afterwards. Abby worked at BWR that evening. Luke had football practice then went out to dinner with Blane. The deafening sound of cicadas came through the closed windows as we watched Shark Week that night. Here are pictures of Luke’s varsity scrimmage vs. North Decatur last week.

lfsnd19.01 lfsnd19.02 lfsnd19.03 lfsnd19.04 lfsnd19.05 lfsnd19.06 lfsnd19.07 lfsnd19.08 lfsnd19.09 lfsnd19.10 lfsnd19.11 lfsnd19.12 lfsnd19.13 lfsnd19.14 lfsnd19.15 lfsnd19.16 lfsnd19.17 lfsnd19.18 lfsnd19.19 lfsnd19.20 lfsnd19.21 lfsnd19.22 lfsnd19.23 lfsnd19.24 lfsnd19.25 lfsnd19.26 lfsnd19.27 lfsnd19.28 lfsnd19.29 lfsnd19.30 lfsnd19.31 lfsnd19.32 lfsnd19.33 lfsnd19.34 lfsnd19.35 lfsnd19.36 lfsnd19.37 lfsnd19.38 lfsnd19.39 lfsnd19.40 lfsnd19.41 lfsnd19.42 lfsnd19.43 lfsnd19.44 lfsnd19.45

Wednesday was a lovely day in the 80s. We finally had no rain – just lots of sunshine. Justin & Vic helped me with a fire drill then we dropped off Justin’s truck and got lunch at China Buffet. I spent the afternoon finishing up my monthly rounds then sweated my butt off, walking a 5K. We left town a little early so we could pick-up a few school supplies for Luke…since he starts tomorrow! Luke and the Cubs played in their next baseball tourney game that evening. It was an elimination game – if they lose they are done but if they win, they move to the championship game. The boys came out and jumped on them 4-0 after one…thanks in part to Luke’s first-ever over-the-fence home run! He crushed the ball 400 feet into the street and all the way to the pond! Way to go, little buddy!! Ann & I were thrilled, screaming and hooping / hollering at the top of our lungs!! The boys built their lead to 9-4 after 4th inning and called in Luke to close the game. He faced 5 batters, recording 2 strikeouts and a pair of walks while holding the Red Sox scoreless to get the save! At the plate, he was 2-2 with that 2-run homer, he legged-out an infield single and also drew a walk. He had 3 more RBIs, stole 3 bases and scored a pair of runs. We ended up winning 12-4 to force a final game on Friday for all the marbles. We celebrated Luke’s big hit by going out to eat at BWR, where Abby was working. She did great as always as our server. We stayed and chatted with her for a while then came home and got cleaned-up. When Luke went to bed, we tried to watch Shark Week but we missed it due to getting back so late; so we watched some DVR’d shows until we fell asleep. Here are pictures of Sandy’s birthday party last weekend.

gbdp19.01 gbdp19.02 gbdp19.03 gbdp19.04 gbdp19.05 gbdp19.06 gbdp19.07 gbdp19.08 gbdp19.09 gbdp19.10 gbdp19.11 gbdp19.12 gbdp19.13 gbdp19.14 gbdp19.15

Luke was up early for the new Fortnight release on Thursday morning. He was wide awake by the time I got up to let the dogs out before showering that morning. It was his first day of school. Luke rode in with Blane for the first day of his sophomore year of high school. Abby slept in then worked at BWR again that night. Ann & I had fast days at work. I got out of work a little late, trying to finish everything up before Ieaving for my 3-day weekend. As such, I only got in 3 miles during my walk. I dropped Ann off at Wings & rings to have dinner with Amy. Luke came home and said he had a good day at school and football practice. Here are pictures of the latest additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc19.08.01 hwc19.08.02 hwc19.08.03 hwc19.08.04 hwc19.08.05 hwc19.08.06 hwc19.08.07 hwc19.08.08 hwc19.08.09 hwc19.08.10 hwc19.08.11 hwc19.08.12 hwc19.08.13 hwc19.08.14

Luke was up early for school on Friday. I had the day off but had to get up early for a dentist appointment. It went really well then I ran errands around town before coming home to mow/trim the lawn. Ann also took the day off and spent it out galivanting around with Shawna. They ended up in Brown County, shopping and eating at the little stores in Nashville. Abby had the day off as well. She met up with her roommate in Franklin to do some dorm shopping then spent the day on campus with her sorority sisters, doing recruitment stuff. Luke had a fast day at school. He napped when he got home before getting ready for his final rec league baseball game of his career. It was the final game of the season and the last time he will ever play out at complex. It was game 3 – the rubber match and championship game for the tourney vs. the Red Sox. Luke started at 1st base and played there for two innings, recording two assisted putouts. He was then brought in to pitch the 3rd inning. Although he faced 7 batters, he only made it through 1/3 of the inning, walking 5, hitting 1 while 2 reaching base via errors. The defense threw the ball around, making several errors – including one by him as well. The umpire was really tough on him, not giving him any corner calls whatsoever. …And it isn’t just me; I know I’m biased – but the crowd, the coaches – even the catcher all made comments. It visibly upset Luke as you could tell by his body language. He was mercifully pulled and moved to centerfield for the rest of the 3rd inning after allowing the game to be tied. He played catcher in the 4th and final frame, throwing out the only attempted base runner. As for the game itself, we gave up three in the first inning but came right back and made it 6-3 after 1. We held them in the 2nd inning and tacked on 2 more in the bottom to make it 8-3 after 2. Luke then allowed the game to be tied 8-8 by the time he was pulled off the mound…and by the time we got out of the inning, the boys were down 8-11. We exploded for 6 runs and were up 14-11 at the end of 3. After Luke threw out the runner trying to steal 2nd base, Ethan got the final batter to ground out and end the season with the dub and the crown! It was Luke’s 8th straight championship in the league and a great way to go out on top. His offensive stats: he batted 5th in the line-up, going 2-3 with a triple, single and pop-up to 1st. His final at-bat of his rec-league career was that pop-up, unfortunately – and the only out he made the entire tournament. He had 3 more RBIs, stole 2 more bases and scored another run. We dropped off Ann and went through Taco Bell drive through (his choice) for dinner. We didn’t get home until really late that evening. Poor old Barney really struggled…something in the transmission, I believe. I will have to call Jerry tomorrow and see when I can get it in to see him, unfortunately. Luke got cleaned-up and went out with Addison and their buddies to walk around the neighborhood and then ended up back at our house where they went out back and hung out on the porch until late. Abby made it home safely and went to bed early, wiped-out from her big day at FC. Ann & I wound down the day watching a few hours of Shark Week then wrapped up the day with some Ancient Aliens. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.08.01 sis19.08.02 sis19.08.03 sis19.08.04 sis19.08.05 sis19.08.06 sis19.08.07 sis19.08.08 sis19.08.09 sis19.08.10 sis19.08.11 sis19.08.12 sis19.08.13 sis19.08.14 sis19.08.15 sis19.08.16 sis19.08.17 sis19.08.18 sis19.08.19 sis19.08.20 sis19.08.21 sis19.08.22 sis19.08.23 sis19.08.24 sis19.08.25 sis19.08.26 sis19.08.27 sis19.08.28 sis19.08.29 sis19.08.30 sis19.08.31 sis19.08.32 sis19.08.33 sis19.08.34 sis19.08.35 sis19.08.36 sis19.08.37 sis19.08.38 sis19.08.39 sis19.08.40

Abby was up early and headed back to the FC campus on Saturday morning for more ΠΒΦ recruitment activities while the rest of us enjoyed sleeping in on a lovely day. I checked the fluids in the vehicles then Luke & I loaded up Betty White and he drove us over to Mom & Sandy’s house. We mowed & trimmed then visited with them for a bit before heading to Taco Bell for lunch. We stopped uptown to go junkin’ and found a couple Hot Wheels. Luke did a nice job of showing off his newly acquired parallel parking skills as we went in to check out what kind of deals we could find at Crafts & Occasions. They are going out of business after several decades. Although we didn’t find anything, we did run into Amy and her mom and spoke with them for a while. We came home and pressure washed the south side of the house. We took turns and while I was taking my turn, Luke started messing with the climbing tree out front. He was messing around and broke off the big branch that used to hold the kids’ horse swing. Thankfully he was able to get out of the way, but when it hit the ground it shattered into hundreds of pieces! He got it all cleaned up and we finished up the house before coming in and grabbing showers. Abby came home and took a long nap, waiting for Garrett to come over and stay the night. Later, Megan came over and then they all went to an under-21 club in Cincy called Energy until late. Oakley came over to stay the night and later, Ethan & Blane came over to hang out too. They wound up going out, wandering the neighborhood before ending up swimming over at Blane’s house. Ann made a big dinner of Papa John’s pizzas for us and all the kids. The boys went out and played basketball for about an hour then they all came back to the house and enjoyed some porch time. They had a few others join them later, but only Oak and Ethan stayed while the rest went home at some point after I went to bed. We watched the final few shows for Shark Week and called it a night. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.08.01 smp19.08.02 smp19.08.03 smp19.08.04 smp19.08.05 smp19.08.06 smp19.08.07 smp19.08.08 smp19.08.09 smp19.08.10 smp19.08.11 smp19.08.12 smp19.08.13 smp19.08.14 smp19.08.15 smp19.08.16 smp19.08.17 smp19.08.18 smp19.08.19 smp19.08.20 smp19.08.21 smp19.08.22 smp19.08.23 smp19.08.24 smp19.08.25 smp19.08.26 smp19.08.27

We all enjoyed sleeping in on another picture-perfect morning on Sunday. Oak & Ethan got picked-up and I ran Annie to the store. She came home and cooked a couple sides for us to take out to Bryan & Angie’s house for their big party. They are hosting a foreign exchange student from Italy. It was very nice to meet Irene; she is very cool and hung out with us the entire time. We swam in the pond and enjoyed some cold beverages with the Messers, the Bewleys, the Bainbridges, the Meyers, the Kennedys, the Nobbes and more. Bryan & Shawn grilled brats and burgers from Neal’s Chop Shop that were amazing. Between the meat and all the sides that everyone brought, we ate like kings! We sat out by the dock and talked and laughed until sunset, when we decided to call it a day. We said our goodbyes and came back home to relax and watched the NASCAR race from Watkins Glenn. It was a relaxing way to wind down the week…

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to include pictures from our final photo album – #18. We lead off with a picture of Abby’s soccer team at the YMCA in October 2003; then move on to pictures of Abby’s playdate with Grace at her house, out in rural Westport and then Bu with Luke & Alex at Christie’s house – all in April 2004; next we have several pictures of Bu at her first Dixon Dance Studio in May 2004; then we move on to our house in June 2004 for Luke’s first birthday party; next we have a few pictures from Grace’s birthday party at her house in July 2004 and we wrap up in October 2004 with a picture of Aunt Sharon with Jacie in Kokomo and Tammie with Austin & Leila in Rossville.

Waybac.2003.10.aysp01 Waybac.2003.10.aysp02 Waybac.2003.10.aysp03 Waybac.2003.10.aysp04 Waybac.2003.10.asyp05 Waybac.2004.04.agss01 Waybac.2004.04.agss02 Waybac.2004.04.agss03 Waybac.2004.04.agss04 Waybac.2004.05.addr105 Waybac.2004.05.addr106 Waybac.2004.05.addr107 Waybac.2004.05.addr108 Waybac.2004.05.addr109 Waybac.2004.05.addr110 Waybac.2004.05.addr111 Waybac.2004.05.addr112 Waybac.2004.05.addr113 Waybac.2004.05.addr114 Waybac.2004.05.addr115 Waybac.2004.06.lbdp02 Waybac.2004.06.lbdp103 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp14 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp15 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp16 Waybac.2004.10.aswj Waybac.2004.10.takp

Next up is our video section which includes one new family movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply