Friday Evening when The Lights come on…Everyone gets their Hopes up High

We’ve had a good week since we last touched base. The weather has been superb and football season is upon us! The kids all had full weeks. Matt had a very long week of teaching at the middle school in Zionsville. The behaviors in his special education classroom has been quite challenging for the young educator. Abby had a busy week as she finished working this summer, spent time with Megan out of town, had Garrett down for the weekend and went to a concert in Noblesville. Luke had a busy week of high school classes, practiced football all week, spent nights and the weekend with his good buddy Oakley and played some varsity football under the Friday night lights! Ann continued to make progress in her bilateral knee surgery rehabilitation. Her new compression tights seem to be helping with the swelling and I caught her several times moving around in the house without her cane, which is a great sign. I dropped another five pounds on my keto diet this week and met my weekly workout goal of walking fifteen miles. Everywhere you look, the grass is dead – both the lawns at work and here at the house are completely brown. Although we did get a little rain this week, it was not nearly enough. The only thing growing these days seems to be the weeds! We had a full house this weekend, which is always good because it means Ann cooks more! …Although I may have given back those lost pounds this weekend because of it… Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work and school on Monday morning. Ann & I enjoyed fast days in Columbus. Matt had a long day in Zionsville. Garrett went home New Castle later that morning and Abby worked at Wings & Rings in Greensburg. Luke had a good day at school then went on to football practice. I walked a 5K on a gorgeous afternoon. That evening, Luke got cleaned-up and ran around with Oakley & Hannah until after dark. Ann & I took it easy that night – she iced her knees and napped on the couch while I watched all our DVR’d shows and started a new series on Netflix – based on Matt, Taylor & Abby’s recommendations – called The Haunting of Hill House.

Tuesday was hotter and our old nemesis – humidity – returned to town. Ann & I had fast days at work again. I ran her to a meeting then walked a 5K at the mall, where it was considerably cooler with no humidity. We came home a little early and I ran errands while she cooked dinner. Matt had a 12-hr day, teaching at Z-West. Ann & I talked to him a little that evening. He still has a good attitude, but it’s tough sledding right now. Abby worked the evening shift at BWR that day. Luke had a long day of school and football practice. He was a sweaty mess when he returned home that evening. I watched the series finale of Legion as well as the season two premier of The Terror. And then when Abby came home, we watched a couple more episodes of Hill House. Here are pictures of Luke playing in the Blue & White game last week.

lp19.08.18 lfbw19.01 lfbw19.02 lfbw19.03 lfbw19.04 lfbw19.05 lfbw19.06 lfbw19.07 lfbw19.08 lfbw19.09 lfbw19.10 lfbw19.11 lfbw19.12 lfbw19.13 lfbw19.14 lfbw19.15 lfbw19.16 lfbw19.17 lfbw19.18 lfbw19.19 lfbw19.20 lfbw19.21 lfbw19.22 lfbw19.23 lfbw19.24 lfbw19.25 lfbw19.26 lfbw19.27 lfbw19.28 lfbw19.29 lfbw19.30 lfbw19.31 lfbw19.32 lfbw19.33 lfbw19.34 lfbw19.35 lfbw19.36

We endured another hot / humid day on Wednesday. It was a good day for both Ann & I. Justin, Vic & I went out to lunch at Culvers (we need to go there more often!) and then that afternoon I worked-out and set my PB for fastest pace, walking my 5K in about an hour! Matt survived his second full week of teaching. Abby worked at Buffalo Wings & Rings for the final time before she leaves for school – who knows, it may actually be her final shift ever. She then went up to stay with Megan in Trafalgar again that afternoon. Luke had school then football practice that evening. Our little Molly wasn’t feeling well again that evening. Not sure if its another ear infection or what; but she was walking around all glum and we took to calling her Eeyore – the poor, pitiful puppy. It was Taylor’s 21st birthday and so Matt took her out on the town that night to celebrate!

Thursday was a good day all around – to start, it was a cooler, more comfortable day. Ann & I enjoyed fast days then I walked a 5K on a noticeably less-humid afternoon. I spoke to J&A Auto that afternoon and Jerry pulled off his magic once again by getting Barney back up and working! It turned out to not be a transmission issue (thankfully), but rather some little varmint chewed through some wires, causing all sorts of havoc. Once he got those repaired and one part changed out ~ voila – it worked better than before! Good job, Jerry!! Molly was better that night after Ann treated her ears. She’s such a good mommy. Matt had another long day at school in Zionsville. Abby helped move Megan into her freshman dorm at USI in Evansville. She rode down with her and then Julie came later and drove Bu back up to Trafalgar late this afternoon and then she drove on home from there. She had Molie over to hang out in her room that evening. After school and football practice, Luke helped me get Barney home by driving me out in the truck and then driving old Betty White solo on the way home. It was his first time driving the truck with no supervision and he did great. He ended up going out with Oak & Hannah again that evening. Sandy surprised me by coming over to visit that evening and brought me a few Hot Wheels she picked up at the Power of the Past event – two of which filled holes in my collection – thx Gigi! It is the 50th anniversary of the Woodstock festival this weekend and I’ve enjoyed listening and watching several programs, celebrating that milestone. We did not get together over at the Sunken Boat Bar for a coaches meeting, so I enjoyed watching the NFL games on TV that evening for first time on the new big screen – and it was awesome! I went to bed at halftime before Bu made it home, exhausted from my long day. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.08.88 sis19.08.89 sis19.08.90 sis19.08.91 sis19.08.92 sis19.08.93 sis19.08.94 sis19.08.95 sis19.08.96 sis19.08.97 sis19.08.98 sis19.09.99 sis19.08.100 sis19.08.101 sis19.08.102 sis19.08.103 sis19.08.104 sis19.08.105 sis19.08.106 sis19.08.107 sis19.08.108 sis19.08.109 sis19.08.110 sis19.08.111 sis19.08.112 sis19.08.113 sis19.08.114 sis19.08.115 sis19.08.116 sis19.08.117 sis19.08.118 sis19.08.119 sis19.08.120 sis19.08.121 sis19.08.122 sis19.08.123 sis19.08.124 sis19.08.125 sis19.08.126 sis19.08.127 sis19.08.128 sis19.08.129

We had a perfect start to our Friday with temps in the 60s as we headed out to the driveway that morning to drive Black Betty into work. Luke grudgingly got up for school and then hung around afterward to go through his pregame rituals that evening, including meeting up with Gma to get a new mouthpiece and a sandwich from Jimmy John’s. Abby slept in and enjoyed the day off to begin sorting her clothing and start packing for school. Ann & I worked half days then came home when her office closed at noon. We picked up Bu at home and took her out for lunch at ElRep. We came home and Ann iced her knees & napped while I checked in my new Hot Wheels. We watched the series finale of Elementary – a series we really enjoyed. It was a big day – Megan’s 19th birthday & Garrett’s 20th birthday! Garrett drove down to spend the weekend with Abs. She & Ann made a lemon cake for him, which was really good. We didn’t sing to him, but he did make a wish & blow out some candles. Ann had a few minutes to ice her knees a little more while I watched last night’s truck race from Bristol before Ann & I got ready and headed over to Shriver Field for the final scrimmage of the year. The Pirates faced off with Indian Creek. Luke did not start on varsity defense but did rotate in regularly and played approximately half the plays on that side of the ball. He did not play at all on JV defense. He played weak side outside linebacker again (Will) the entire time and held his own, despite the fact that he is still learning that position. He seems to be making good progress as he was in on seven tackles – 3 solos and 4 assisted. He did not play much offense. He did get some reps of varsity sniffer-back and made some nice blocks. He also started with the JV offense but was quickly pulled-out after just three plays and played no more. He looked good blocking but nearly got into a fight with this one guy that he knocked on his ass! This is another new position for him, so he’s still got a lot to learn but has had a good pre-season. They did not run through any special teams that evening, but I would assume he may see some action on those teams as well in the coming weeks. The defense looked very good and the offense executed well. The Pirates scored four times and the defense very nearly pitched a shutout, only giving up a single score by the Braves on their very last varsity play. We had fun sitting with our usual group of parents – but obviously missed Bryan & Angie. It will be another long season without them, for sure…. After the successful scrimmage (no one was seriously hurt!), Luke went out with Oakley, Blane and friends while Ann & I went to BWR for a cold brew and some wings (and bleu cheese & celery, of course!). Meanwhile, Matt had another long, twelve-hour day of teaching at Z-West. He said it was a tough one for several reasons and that he just came home and went to bed. While Ann & I went to the game, Abby & Garrett drove up to Indy to see friends and didn’t get back until the wee hours of the morning. Luke had Oak & Blane over for a while that evening and Oakley ended up spending the night. Here are recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc19.08.26 hwc19.08.27 hwc19.08.28 hwc19.08.29 hwc19.08.30 hwc19.08.31 hwc19.08.32 hwc19.08.33 hwc19.08.34 hwc19.08.35

Ann & I were up fairly early on Saturday morning. I watched the Bristol Xfinity NASCAR race that we taped last night – what a great race! I would love to go see a Bristol night race some time… that is on my bucket list! I eventually got off the couch and checked the fluids in all the vehicles. Molly came out front with me to “help,” which drove Lola crazy. Abby & I took Tonya to get breakfast and then an oil change at Davis & Daughters. We came home and loaded up Betty White, picked-up Garrett and went to mow / trim at Mom & Sandy’s house. I tried to wake Luke, but he was out cold. Oakley was gone when we got home, so I just left him and went over to do our work by myself. Abby & Garrett went inside to visit with Gma while I knocked out the yardwork. We came home and checked our yard, but it didn’t need mowed this week – it’s very dead. I had planned to pressure-wash the north side of the house that afternoon, but it was raining by the time we got back to the house. Instead, we ran out to Walmart and bought some groceries while it stormed outside. We came back and decided to go out to the fairgrounds for the annual Power of the Past as the storm blew through the area. I took all the kids out there, where we met up with Oakley. We walked around and looked at all the cool tractors, trucks and old engines. We really liked the two-century-old, wood-burning steam engine and the old 1970s International pickup trucks. I did some Hot Wheels hunting before leaving as the kids were whining that it was too hot and they were hungry for Taco Bell. We got home and watched the Colts game until it was time to cook dinner. Ann made grilled salmon, cheesy cuscus, cheesy roasted broccoli and bacon-wrapped roasted carrots – yum! We grilled the salmon on cedar planks that made the whole neighborhood smell amazing. It was the first time for us cooking this way and I look forward to doing it again because it was so good. It was cool having such a big group around the table for dinner again as Garrett and Oak joined us that evening and both ended up staying the night as well. We got things cleaned-up and watched the rest of the Colts game vs. the Browns, who played their rookie QB out of Purdue in the 4th quarter – David Blough. It was good to see him out there at the next level. I hope he makes their team and we see him again soon. Abs and Garrett retreated to her room after dinner and ended up falling asleep early. Luke & Oak went out walking around the neighborhood and brought back Addison & Brayden. The boys hung out on the back porch for about an hour before heading over to Addison’s house and eventually wound up over at Christy and Jimmy’s house to see Ms. Jenna and their friends until about midnight. Matt & Taylor went out that night with her Mom & Dad to celebrate her big birthday in downtown Indy. Matt played the role of DD, which was a good thing since they got pulled over on the way home for driving with their brights on. He had no trouble passing the officer’s check and they were soon on their way. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.08.83 smp19.08.84 smp19.08.85 smp19.08.86 smp19.08.87 smp19.08.88 smp19.08.89 smp19.08.90 smp19.08.91 smp19.08.92 smp19.08.93 smp19.08.94 smp19.08.95 smp19.08.96 smp19.08.97 smp19.08.98 smp19.08.99 smp19.08.100 smp19.08.101 smp19.08.102 smp19.08.103 smp19.08.105 smp19.08.106 smp19.08.107 smp19.08.108 smp19.08.109 smp19.08.110 smp19.08.111 smp19.08.112 smp19.08.113 smp19.08.114 smp19.08.115 smp19.08.116 smp19.08.117 smp19.08.118 smp19.08.119 smp19.08.120 smp19.08.121 smp19.08.122 smp19.08.123 smp19.08.124 smp19.08.125 smp19.08.126 smp19.08.127 smp19.08.128 smp19.08.129 smp19.08.130 smp19.08.131 smp19.08.132 smp19.08.133

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. We slowly got up and did our weekly household chores. I enjoyed my usual morning of classic Star Trek followed by a day of recorded sports from last night: The Cowboys’ preseason game from Hawaii, the NASCAR race from Thunder Valley and UFC 241, which had a couple of great fights! Luke & Oakley walked down to Shack’s house to help move furniture and go to lunch. Bu & Garrett finally drug their asses out of bed and ran to the store for Ann so she could make lunch. She did us up again, making cheeseburgers, homemade pasta salad and her wonderful corn dip – yum! We napped as we watched football on the big screen. Luke woke us up when he returned without Oakley so that he could play Fortnight, watch some boob tube and study for his math test tomorrow. In the early evening hours, Abby & Garrett took Tonya up to Deer Creek for the Luke Bryan concert. Just before they got to the amphitheater, severe weather moved through the area and forced everyone to evacuate back out to their vehicles. I don’t think they even got to get out of the car before they were told the event was cancelled until October, unfortunately. As it poured up in Marion County, Matt helped Taylor move back into her campus dorm at U Indy. She will begin school next week. Abs and Garrett made it home safely, driving through the storm. We lost power, briefly, as some nasty stuff rolled through our neck of the woods. Thankfully it only lasted a couple seconds and we quickly recovered, re-setting the clocks, Wi-Fi and TVs. That evening, I watched the final couple episodes of Hill House while Ann read and then wound down the week watching Serengeti and Fear the Walking Dead before calling it a night. It was a relaxing way to wrap up the week before we start it all over again in the morning…

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature photo album #18 – our final set before we moved over to all digital medium – of our young family. We begin with an old photo of Dee & Chad in December 1998; then we see our young fam on the pirate ship sunset cruise out of John’s Pass, near Treasure Island in May 2002; then we fast-forward to 2004 where we find Abby & Grace at Dee & Chad’s house in Westport in April; Abs at the Dixon Dance Revue at GCHS in May; Matt on Family Fun Night at GES in May; Bu at Christi’s house in June; and finally Abby at Grace’s birthday party, out at her house again in July.

Waybac.1998.12.dcb Waybac.2002.05.spc01 Waybac.2002.05.spc02 Waybac.2004.04.agss05 Waybac.2004.04.agss06 Waybac.2004.05.addr116 Waybac.2004.05.addr117 Waybac.2004.05.addr118 Waybac.2004.05.addr119 Waybac.2004.05.addr120 Waybac.2004.05.addr121 Waybac.2004.05.addr122 Waybac.2004.05.addr123 Waybac.2004.05.mffn01 Waybac.2004.06.kach24 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp17 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp18 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp19 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp20

And we wrap up this week’s edition with our video section which includes one new home movie this week and several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then have a good one. We miss ya, Momma.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply