I want to Wake Up from this Concussion…

We enjoyed a gorgeous week since we last touched base. We had perfect temperatures, low humidity and loads of sunshine. Matt enjoyed the week off from teaching for their Fall Break. He spent it house- and dog-sitting for a friend up in Zionsville. We did get to see him briefly this week and spend a few hours with him. Abby was ill much of the week, fighting off some sort of infection. She came home and spent a long weekend with us for her Fall Break. It was great to spend time with her. The coaches shut Luke down for a few days to make sure he was OK after the big hit he suffered in last Friday’s game. He turned out to be just fine, but it was a learning experience for us all. He had his first full week of classes since being off for his Fall Break and played in one football game. He spent much of his free time out of the house this week, running around with his buddies whenever possible. Ann let her cane collect dust the entire week! Way to go, babe! She is getting around so much better this week I logged about seventeen miles of walking this week, meeting my exercise goal for the first time this month. I had a senior moment at the start of the week. My blood sugar numbers held steady all week but my diet, however, was still hit or miss and I didn’t lose any weight this week. I finally got back out in the yard this week and ended up doing some of the season-ending chores as well. Molly did better this week and both Abby & I enjoyed doing some special things with her while she is still able to… Overall, Ann & I enjoyed a good week. It’s always a good week when you get to see all your kids…and Mom & Gigi. Hello again and welcome to the latest entry of the Scheu Family Blog.

We had a cold start to the week on Monday. It was in the upper 30s or so. I hit a bumpy part of the road that we know well a little hard on the way in to work and Black Betty bottomed out pretty hard. Soon after, I noticed we started smoking and then eventually we started overheating. By the time we got to Columbus, the gauge was red and when I pulled it into work, the check engine light was flashing and dinging as I turned her off. I thought for sure I had knocked a hose loose or somehow cracked the new radiator we put in it last year…but when I popped the hood, I was embarrassed (and relieved) to find that I had simply forgotten to put the radiator cap back on the reservoir yesterday and it all spilled out on the way in! I felt so stupid, but Ann & I laughed it off and chocked it up to another senior moment! I ran Ann on to work with one of our vans and then ran to Walmart and got some antifreeze and filled it up. What a way to start the week! My day went by super-fast, as did Ann’s workday. She went all day without using her cane again today – way to go, babe! Turns out, we aced the EOC portion of our inspection (my part) and only had three minor findings – our best inspection to date! Afterward, I walked a 5K on a warm and sunny afternoon. Luke went back to school for the first time in a week. He was a little tough to get up, but he made it in time. During class, Coach Moore thought he was acting strange, so he had Luke report to the trainer after school for some sort of baseline test. Apparently, he had one section that was a little off and that was enough for the trainer to suspend him from playing until he can re-take the baseline test in a couple days. So, he is officially on concussion protocol. He was bummed when he called me, because his JV team played East Central that night, and he really wanted some revenge. Ann & I talked with the coaches to make sure we didn’t need to do anything else, but they asked that he just sit out tonight’s game and let the trainer re-evaluate him – so that’s what we did. After some debate, we ended going to the game anyhow to support the team and Luke – even though he wasn’t playing. The game was closer than the final score indicated; but in the end, the Trojans beat the Pirates 16-34. EC played dirty again that night and the officiating crew didn’t do much to discourage that behavior. No less than six targeting penalties were called but no ejections occurred. The Greensburg crowd was loud and boisterous, letting the referees know just how unhappy they were with the work of the officials. It got chilly after the sun went down and the fat, low, harvest moon appeared in the eastern sky. Coach Nobbe surprised us by coming to the game that evening and sat with us. After the game, we went down and waited for Luke to come off the field and as we had figured, he was chomping at the bit to get in the game. To help soften the blow of not playing, we decided to take him out for dinner at ElRep. He pretty much showered and went to bed when he got home. I fell asleep on the couch while Ann just went on to bed after we watched Magnum PI and then once Ann retired for the night, I watched the crazy Talladega NASCAR races. Here are pictures Luke’s junior varsity game at Batesville last week.

lp19.10.03 lfjvb19.01 lfjvb19.02 lfjvb19.03 lfjvb19.04 lfjvb19.05 lfjvb19.06 lfjvb19.07 lfjvb19.08 lfjvb19.09 lfjvb19.10 lfjvb19.11 lfjvb19.12 lfjvb19.13 lfjvb19.14 lfjvb19.15 lfjvb19.16 lfjvb19.17 lfjvb19.18 lfjvb19.19 lfjvb19.20 lfjvb19.21 lfjvb19.22 lfjvb19.23 lfjvb19.24 lfjvb19.25 lfjvb19.26 lfjvb19.27 lfjvb19.28 lfjvb19.29 lfjvb19.30 lfjvb19.31 lfjvb19.32 lfjvb19.33 lfjvb19.34 lfjvb19.35 lfjvb19.36 lfjvb19.37 lfjvb19.38 lfjvb19.39 lfjvb19.40 lfjvb19.41 lfjvb19.42 lfjvb19.43 lfjvb19.44 lfjvb19.45 lfjvb19.46 lfjvb19.47 lfjvb19.48 lfjvb19.49 lfjvb19.50 lfjvb19.51 lfjvb19.52 lfjvb19.53 lfjvb19.54 lfjvb19.55 lfjvb19.56 lfjvb19.57 lfjvb19.58 lfjvb19.59 lfjvb19.60 lfjvb19.61 lfjvb19.62 lfjvb19.63 lfjvb19.64 lfjvb19.65 lfjvb19.66 lfjvb19.67 lfjvb19.68 lfjvb19.69 lfjvb19.70 lfjvb19.71 lfjvb19.72 lfjvb19.73 lfjvb19.74 lfjvb19.75 lfjvb19.76 lfjvb19.77 lfjvb19.78 lfjvb19.79 lfjvb19.80 lfjvb19.81 lfjvb19.82 lfjvb19.83 lfjvb19.84 lfjvb19.85 lfjvb19.86 lfjvb19.87 lfjvb19.88 lfjvb19.89 lfjvb19.90 lfjvb19.91 lfjvb19.92 lfjvb19.93 lfjvb19.94 lfjvb19.95 lfjvb19.96 lfjvb19.97 lfjvb19.98 lfjvb19.99 lfjvb19.100 lfjvb19.101 lfjvb19.102 lfjvb19.103 lfjvb19.104 lfjvb19.105 lfjvb19.106 lfjvb19.107 lfjvb19.108 lfjvb19.109 lfjvb19.110 lfjvb19.111 lfjvb19.112

We had a cold, foggy start in the 30s on Tuesday morning. Ann & I had fast days at work. I took Justin & Vic out to lunch for helping with the EOC portion of our Joint Commission survey last week. They wanted Chicago’s pizza, so I was happy to oblige. 😊 I walked a 4K after work on a gorgeous afternoon. We did some shopping when we got back to town then cleaned up a pool of pee in the kitchen at home. By the time I finally sat down, I didn’t get back up for several hours. Ann went all day without using her cane again today. We watched some DVR’d shows on the big screen with the dogs and then later, Ann made Fireworks popcorn for dinner. Luke was held out of practice due to the concussion protocol. He wanted to go run around afterward, but we put the kibosh on that and had him come home to rest – per Kevin’s (the trainer) directive. He tried to wear us down by continuing to ask and ask, but it didn’t work so he ended up going to bed early. Ann woke me up to go to bed when she did; but instead of heading back, I stayed up and then I was wired and had to force myself to go to bed really late that night. Here are pictures from Luke’s varsity football game at East Central last week.

lfec19.01 lfec19.02 lfec19.03 lfec19.04 lfec19.05 lfec19.06 lfec19.07 lfec19.08 lfec19.09 lfec19.10 lfec19.11 lfec19.12 lfec19.13 lfec19.14 lfec19.15 lfec19.16 lfec19.17 lfec19.18 lfec19.19 lfec19.20 lfec19.21 lfec19.22 lfec19.23 lfec19.24 lfec19.25 lfec19.26 lfec19.27 lfec19.28 lfec19.29 lfec19.30 lfec19.31 lfec19.32 lfec19.33 lfec19.34 lfec19.35 lfec19.36 lfec19.37 lfec19.38 lfec19.39 lfec19.40 lfec19.41 lfec19.42 lfec19.43 lfec19.44 lfec19.45 lfec19.46 lfec19.47 lfec19.48 lfec19.49 lfec19.50 lfec19.51

Wednesday had another chilly start to the day in the 40s. I was up early to take Ann to a meeting at the hospital. She had meetings pretty much all day. I worked on reports all day and got much of my stuff caught up a little. I walked about three miles after work on a cool afternoon. Ann said it best – it looked like snow clouds in the sky that evening! We stopped by the grocery store so Ann could get stuff to make a big pot of chili that night that really hit the spot! Luke had a good day at school then took his baseline test again with Kevin. He passed with flying colors and was cleared to dress for practice that night! Per protocol though, he was not allowed full contact. He will be allowed to resume full contact at tomorrow’s practice. He went out to Cam’s house for the evening. Abby finished up classes and came home for Fall Break that evening and hung out with me until late. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.10.122 sis19.10.123 sis19.10.124 sis19.10.125 sis19.10.126 sis19.10.127 sis19.10.128 sis19.10.129 sis19.10.130 sis19.10.131 sis19.10.132 sis19.10.133 sis19.10.134 sis19.10.135 sis19.10.136 sis19.10.137 sis19.10.138 sis19.10.139 sis19.10.140 sis19.10.141 sis19.10.142 sis19.10.143 sis19.10.144 sis19.10.145 sis19.10.146

We enjoyed a warmer start to the day on Thursday. Ann got to sleep in while I got up to go to work. I got Luke up and he went on to school. Ann took the day off to be with Amy. They did some running around and came home with some new candles and stuff…I think she may have a problem… Abby got up a little early and went to have breakfast with Gma. She had planned to spend all day there, but she didn’t feel well and came home to sleep in her own bed for several hours. I got a lot done with Justin out of the office today, LOL. I walked three and a half miles after work on a lovely afternoon. I came home and finished editing pictures while catching up with Ann and eating leftover chili (and maybe a nibble of one of Gma’s sugar cookies she sent home with Bu). We watched SEAL Team and SWAT as well as the new Lion King live action movie on the big screen that evening. Speaking of SEAL Team, Ann spoke to Randall today and he told her that he had been re-accepted into the SEAL program. He has worked hard so hard for so long…good luck, young man! We had another frost warning overnight…brr… Here are some recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc19.10.13 hwc19.10.14 hwc19.10.15 hwc19.10.16 hwc19.10.17 hwc19.10.18 hwc19.10.19 hwc19.10.20 hwc19.10.21 hwc19.10.22 hwc19.10.23 hwc19.10.24 hwc19.10.25 hwc19.10.26 hwc19.10.27 hwc19.10.28 hwc19.10.29 hwc19.10.30 hwc19.10.31 hwc19.10.32

Friday was a lovely morning with a colorful sunrise. Ann & Abby slept in while I went in to work in Barney again. Luke got up early and went out to eat with teammates before school. After a good day at school, he ran by home to get cold gear and stopped by Gma’s house for a quick bite before heading on to Shriver Field for his final home game of the regular season. Abs and Ann went to Greenwood for the day to enjoy some girl time. They stopped at Cheesecake Factory and once they started eating, Abs began feeling bad again. By the time she got home, she was getting sick and ended up in bed for a couple hours. Meanwhile, I had a good day at work – finishing up my reports for the month and going out to lunch with Justin & Vic to Freddy’s Steakburgers. It was good…but I prefer steak n Shake. I walked a 5K after work, meeting my weekly exercise goal for the first time in a few weeks. By the time I got home, it was time to load up Black Betty and head over to the high school for Senior Night. As we were driving through Ryle, we ran into Matt & Taylor – who had come down for the game. They went home to see the dogs and pick-up a few of Matt’s items we had for him. Many of our friends have a senior this year, which made this game special for us all. Matt, Taylor & Abby joined Ann & I. We sat with the Messers, Bainbridges, Nobbes and Wests as the Pirates hosted Rushville. Last year, you may remember that we were slated to blow them out but ended up losing in the 4th quarter. It was an upset that set the table for us to lose in the opening round of Sectionals. This year had a similar set-up, with the Pirates under-achieving and the Lions in a rebuilding year. However, this year our boys took care of business, right off the bat. By the time the 4th quarter rolled around, we were up by 37 and had the running clock mercy rule activated. Luke started on special teams again – playing on the kickoff return team, punt return team, punt team and PAT team. He returned a kickoff for 20 yards – his first since he was creamed in the East Central game. Way to get back on that horse, young man! He also rotated-in on the offense side of the ball, getting a handful of snaps at sniffer back. He had a couple nice blocks – one of which led to a long quarterback run of nearly 40 yards. He also played middle linebacker, coming in for E-Lowe (the first senior to come out in the 4th quarter). He recorded one tackle. We ended up bringing in our JV defense and they finally scored on us. The JV offense went out afterwards and assumed the Victory Formation to end the game. The final score was 37-8. The Pirates enter Sectionals with a 5-4 record. We hung around to see Luke after the game and talk football for a bit before taking the kids out for dinner at BWR. We had a tube of Blue Moon, lots of wings and tons of celery & bleu cheese. We talked and laughed and nearly closed-down the place before saying our good-byes and heading home. Matt & Tay drove back to Greenwood because she had to work the next day. Luke went out to dinner with Blane and friends and ended up staying the night at Oakley’s house. We came home and did a couple things before all falling asleep on the couches.

Those darn dogs had Ann & I up early on a chilly morning. I wrote out my html code for this week’s blog while watching Ancient Aliens before starting my busy day. Ann went out with Amy to go “junking” around southern Indiana. They got lots of goodies, had a good lunch at The Reservation and enjoyed a lovely day. …And yes, she got a new candle – LOL! Ann went all day without her cane again! Way to go, babe!! She paid the price for shopping till she dropped, however. She came home and iced her knees in her recliner most of the evening. Meanwhile, I did lots of chores around the house and property. I paid bills while waiting for Luke to come home so he could help knock out my weekend honey-do list. He came home with Oakley, who’s in a walking boot and not able to play this week. He tried saying he was there to help but I put the kibosh on that idea real quick. Instead, Luke & I went out and mowed the lawn while Oak stayed inside and played the new Fortnight game. After we finished, I tried to start Betty White to haul our tools to Mom & Sandy’s house, but she was dead. So, I charged the battery and set about trimming the yard. I went ahead and sent Luke & Oakley out to do whatever they had planned so I wouldn’t have to deal with them pressuring me to hurry through my day. I got the truck started and let it run while I blew the leaves and grass off the patio and driveway. I went to the gas station to air up the truck’s tire and noticed gas prices were way down, so I threw some premium in the old girl and headed to Gma & Gigi’s place. Susan & Casey were there, visiting and showing them their new Honda minivan. After I finished in their yard, I tried to get Mom’s account reset on her online banking site, but customer service was gone for the weekend. I said my good-byes and went on my way…but not empty handed, as Gma sent home a dish of yummy sugar cookies for Abby – who was sick at home in bed again. I ran to CVS to get Abby’s meds and went out to Walmart to get some supplies for the house. I stopped at AutoZone on the way home to get Abby’s replacement headlight. When I got back to the house, I watched a quick YouTube video on how to install it. I also put a new plate and registration in Tonya. Next, I removed the air conditioners and winterized the crawl spaces. I loved having Molly out with me as a “helper.” She was so cute – running and prancing and acting like a puppy. She still feels good – you can tell; but we know what’s coming…which makes me so sad. Luke & Oak came by for a moment to drop off some duct tape that will allow me to seal up the A/C boxes to keep varmint out of there! The boys then headed out to Cam’s house to stay the night. I showered, took some ibuprofen and flopped on the couch with Molly and Lola. Abby eventually got up but was still ailing. Ann made her some noodle soup and Abs went back to sleep – dozing all evening on the couch. Luke was in the paper that night. There was a color photo of him and the varsity backs during action last night on the front of the Sports section. Ann also fell asleep watching TV while I wrote out this week’s entry…or most of it anyhow. We have lots of social media pictures to share.

smp19.10.88 smp19.10.89 smp19.10.90 smp19.10.91 smp19.10.92 smp19.10.93 smp19.10.94 smp19.10.95 smp19.10.96 smp19.10.97 smp19.10.98 smp19.10.99 smp19.10.100 smp19.10.101 smp19.10.102 smp19.10.103 smp19.10.104 smp19.10.105 smp19.10.106 smp19.10.107 smp19.10.108 smp19.10.109 smp19.10.111 smp19.10.112 smp19.10.113 smp19.10.114 smp19.10.115 smp19.10.116 smp19.10.117 smp19.10.118 smp19.10.119 smp19.10.120 smp19.10.121 smp19.10.122 smp19.10.123 smp19.10.124 smp19.10.125 smp19.10.126 smp19.10.127 smp19.10.128 smp19.10.129

We enjoyed sleeping in a little on Sunday morning….until Abby threw the dogs out of her room and opened our door. WTH, Bu? It was nice to be able to open up the house again that morning on another picture-perfect day. We slowly got around to our weekly household chores. I was glad I took some Advil last night, but I had to repeat the dose again that morning because I was super sore from yesterday’s activity. Mom & Sandy came over to visit for a bit with Pixie. After they left, Luke came home and then Megan picked up Abby and they went out for a drive. They came back and “helped” Ann make chicken corn chowder…at least that was their plan. As it turned out, Ann made the whole thing herself. It had been a while since she made that meal…maybe since Bu was in high school? Abby said she was still not feeling well, but once Megan came over, her whole outlook changed…plus she took a decongestant, which seemed to help as well. I was just glad to see her vertical again! We enjoyed watching football, switching between RedZone and the Colts game. We were thrilled to see the Colts playing well as they won another game. Megan stayed for lunch and we all sat down at the kitchen table for the first time this week, which was nice. Luke was chomping at the bit to get out of the house, so we tortured him for a bit then let him go running around, eventually going fishing with his buddies. Megan left after lunch and Abby took Molly out for a trip to Gma & Gigi’s house. Afterwards they went out to Rural King where Molls picked out a new bag of treats and a couple cans of dog food. They then went through the Wendy’s drive thru for some chicken nuggets. Molly loved them and I can’t wait to see the video of her noshing them down. 😊 Molly was so happy when she came home but was obviously wiped-out as she fell asleep with me on the couch and we both napped during the late football games. Abby packed up all her stuff and headed back to the FC campus. Matt & Taylor had a fun day. After losing a bet on a Cowboys / Packers game this year, Matt planned a date and took Tay to Beasley’s Orchard in Danville. They got pumpkins, went through a corn maze and even shot apples out of an apple cannon! Ann & I took it easy the rest of the evening, hanging out with the dogs and watching a few DVR’d shows as well as the Cowboys on SNF on the big screen. It was the perfect way to wind down the week and rest up before we start it all over again tomorrow.

Next up is our Waybac section. I think I’ll have enough for one more batch and then I’ll have to start looking for others again. We lead off this week in the backwoods of Westport at Dee & Chad’s house where Abby & Grace are playing on her new swing set in the backyard in April 2004; next we see Abby helping me fill our first pool on during the Memorial Day weekend in our backyard in May 2004; then we have a couple more pix of the kids at Christi’s house in June 2004; then we have Luke in his Johnny Jumper – what a picture – dead asleep with binky on the floor and in only one sock…just as I remember him in June 2004! Next, we see another picture of Luke’s first haircut at Joann’s in June 2004; then we head back to Dee’s Westport home in September 2004 for more pix of Grace’s birthday party; next we have Abby, Elaine & Grace trick-or-treating in Ryle in October 2004; then we have a couple from Mom & Sandy’s house in October 2004 and finally a couple more pix of Abby & Matt at the church Christmas presentation in December 2004.

Waybac.2004.04.agss07 Waybac.2004.04.agss08 Waybac.2004.05.mdw01 Waybac.2004.06.kach24 Waybac.2004.06.kach25 Waybac.2004.06.laijj01 Waybac.2004.06.lfhc06 Waybac.2004.09.gbdp41 Waybac.2004.09.gbdp42 Waybac.2004.09.gbdp43 Waybac.2004.09.gbdp44 Waybac.2004.10.totira03 Waybac.2004.10.totira04 Waybac.2004.10.totira05 Waybac.2004.12.macp03 Waybac.2004.12.macp04

And finally, we have our video segment which features two new home movies as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply