In a Wiped-Out Section(al) of your Sanity

We’ve had another exciting week since we last touched base. Despite being a two-sport athlete this week, Luke’s focus – and frankly the talk around the house – this week was all about the post-season wrestling state finals tournament. Luke participated in his first wrestling Sectional and he worked his butt off this week in preparation of this big moment. As things turned out, putting in the time and effort in practice this week – pushing himself harder than he ever has – paid off in spades! Abby spent her final week of Winter Term working at BWR, spending time with the family and running around with Megan and Garrett. Matt had a good week of teaching and coaching in Zionsville. We got to spend some time with him this weekend and he had a big impact on Luke this weekend as well. Ann began the long process of getting After-Prom going this week. I did better with my diet this week, dropping another two pounds. I fell short of my exercise goal but still got in a little over eleven miles of walking. However, I recorded over 57K steps – which helped keep the weight and blood sugar down. We were saddened to lose another celebrity and that the football season came to an end. It remained cold this week and we even had a little snow…but Punxsutawney Phil didn’t see his shadow again this year and has predicted an early Spring!

We were awakened early on Monday morning by the annual phone call from Mom O. She sang the Birthday Song to her to start her 50th birthday. We rolled over and went back to sleep for a couple hours before getting ready for work. Luke got up and was out the door to school as Ann & I were leaving for work. He had a short day then went to his dentist appointment where he had a good check-up. He went to wrestling practice afterward, where he said things went really well. Ann & I both had fast days. As I was leaving to go walk, we ended up having a couple issues that prevented me from exercising before it was time to pick up the birthday girl. We came home and played with the dogs for a bit before Luke picked us up in the Hot Rod Lincoln. We took Annie out for a comfort food dinner at ElRep. They brought her an ice cream sundae and sang Happy Birthday to her one more time. Luke dropped us off at J&A Auto to pickup Barney and bring her home since Jerry got her back together after replacing the tensioner we broke on Friday. Lukey went out to Kam’s house for a couple hours while Ann & I watched a couple DVR’d shows. Abby slept in a few hours then got up to play with the dogs before going to Grandma’s house for breakfast. They enjoyed chatting for a few hours before Abs came home to get cleaned up and go into work at Wings & Rings. Here are pictures from Luke’s wrestling tourney at South Dearborn a couple weekends ago.

lp20.01.05 lwct20.01 lwct20.02 lwct20.03 lwct20.04 lwct20.05 lwct20.06 lwct20.07 lwct20.08 lwct20.09 lwct20.10 lwct20.11 lwct20.12 lwct20.13 lwct20.14 lwct20.15 lwct20.16 lwct20.17 lwct20.18 lwct20.19 lwct20.20 lwct20.21 lwct20.22 lwct20.23 lwct20.24 lwct20.25 lwct20.26 lwct20.27 lwct20.28 lwct20.29 lwct20.30 lwct20.31 lwct20.32 lwct20.33 lwct20.34 lwct20.35 lwct20.36 lwct20.37 lwct20.38 lwct20.39 lwct20.40 lwct20.41 lwct20.42 lwct20.43 lwct20.44 lwct20.45 lwct20.46 lwct20.47 lwct20.48 lwct20.49 lwct20.50 lwct20.51 lwct20.52 lwct20.53 lwct20.54 lwct20.55 lwct20.56 lwct20.57 lwct20.58 lwct20.59 lwct20.60 lwct20.61 lwct20.62 lwct20.63 lwct20.64 lwct20.65 lwct20.66 lwct20.67 lwct20.68 lwct20.69 lwct20.70 lwct20.71 lwct20.72 lwct20.73 lwct20.74 lwct20.75 lwct20.76 lwct20.77 lwct20.78 lwct20.79 lwct20.80 lwct20.81 lwct20.82 lwct20.83 lwct20.84 lwct20.85 lwct20.86 lwct20.87 lwct20.88 lwct20.89 lwct20.90 lwct20.91 lwct20.92 lwct20.93 lwct20.94 lwct20.95 lwct20.96 lwct20.97 lwct20.98 lwct20.99 lwct20.100 lwct20.101 lwct20.102 lwct20.103 lwct20.104 lwct20.105 lwct20.106 lwct20.107 lwct20.108 lwct20.109 lwct20.110 lwct20.111 lwct20.112 lwct20.113 lwct20.114 lwct20.115 lwct20.116

Delilah was up early and barking to go outside. It was Ann’s turn to get up with the baby. Luke went into school early for football practice then stayed late afterward for wrestling practice. Coach Nieman said he received a #6 seed and will have a bye in the first round of Sectionals this weekend. Abby got to sleep in a little with Molly & Delilah while mean Lola was kept outside. She worked herself up and ended up puking a few times. She continued to be mean towards the baby and so we started isolating her and she seems to have settled down a bit. Abby worked a double shift at BWR. Meanwhile Ann & I had fast days, going to see Jami in the early afternoon for haircuts. I ran Ann back to work afterward while I walked a 6K in the mall. We ran a couple errands when we got back to town then took it easy that evening, chilling with the dogs.

Ann & I went into work on a cold Wednesday morning. We both enjoyed fast days. We had the State Health Dept walk-in to inspect our kitchen that morning. Historically, this has been an annual inspection but apparently, they are trying to come three times a year now – joy. We did just fine and weren’t even required to submit a plan of corrections. The inspector gave the dietary personal kudos for keeping their kitchen so nice. I began my weekly EOC rounds that day. That, coupled with walking three miles at the mall afterwards, allowed me to register 13K steps. Meanwhile, Abby worked first shift at BWR then had a 24-hour babysitting gig for some work friends. She would say later that she now realizes she doesn’t want kids for a long time! 😊 Luke had football practice again that morning before school. He said they had a good wrestling practice that afternoon. He stopped by the house briefly before running around with friends until late. Ann & I stopped by the store so she could do some cooking that night. She made a big batch of sloppy joes – some for dinner and the rest for a pitch-in at work tomorrow. Simultaneously, she made sausage dip for me to take with me to Poker Night that evening. I met up with the guys at the Sunken Boat Bar for an evening of food, fellowship and spirits. Bob finally made it back after a two-month hiatus due to his hectic schedule. Ann & I still remember how hard it was to run two or three kids to all their stuff. It was a good night again for me – despite only having Bryan, Bob, Shawn & I there that night – as I ended up being the big winner! That left Ann with a quiet night alone with the dogs…although with this Delilah puppy, there isn’t a lot of quiet… I will say, though, that she is beginning to settle down and the dogs are starting to accept that she’s gonna be around for a while. Here are pictures of Abby and her dogs.

awhd20.01 awhd20.02 awhd20.03 awhd20.04 awhd20.05 awhd20.06 awhd20.07 awhd20.08 awhd20.09 awhd20.10 awhd20.11 awhd20.12 awhd20.13 awhd20.14 awhd20.15 awhd20.16 awhd20.17 awhd20.18 awhd20.19 awhd20.20 awhd20.21 awhd20.22 awhd20.23 awhd20.24 awhd20.25 awhd20.26 awhd20.27 awhd20.28

Ann & I were up early on Thursday so she could be to work early. That was fine with me as it gave me a jump-start on day two of EOC rounds. Although I didn’t get 13K steps, I did get nearly 12K that day. Justin took Vic & I out to lunch at the China Buff then I walked a 4K at the mall. I was pretty tired by the time we got home after not sleeping much last night and being on my feet most of the day. Luke was rightly proud of doing good on his Chemistry test. He had a good workout at wrestling that afternoon then came home and played Fortnight most of the evening. Ann worked at the high school basketball game, fundraising for After-Prom. She did a 50/50 raffle and a new game called Chuck-A-Duck. It was a good start! Abby came home from her babysitting excursion and told me all about her adventures. She broke her new phone already but has a plan to get it fixed. It’s never good when your child approaches you and say, “Dad, I have something to tell you…but you can’t get mad – ok?” Although my mind raced, I did get it in three guesses – what did you do to your body…what did you do to your car…what did you do to your phone! I was so tired that night, I was falling asleep on the couch by 7. Although I rallied for an hour or so, I finally gave it up by 9 and turned in. Mom always said celebrities die in three’s and after the passing of Neil Peart and Kobe Bryant recently, I was saddened to hear that John Andretti has lost his battle with colon cancer earlier in the day. He was the first driver to pull off the Memorial Day Double Duty – racing at the Indy 500 in the morning and then hopping in a helicopter and flying to Charlotte to drive in the Coca-Cola 600. He won in Indy Car / CART, NASCAR and NHRA and is one of only a handful to compete in both the Indy 500 and the Brickyard 400. He was a Hoosier native and lived his whole life in the Indy area, so he was very popular around these parts. His smiling face and charity work for Riley Hospital will be his legacy. It’s a big loss for the racing community. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis20.01.47 sis20.01.48 sis20.01.49 sis20.01.50 sis20.01.51 sis20.01.52 sis20.01.53 sis20.01.54 sis20.01.55 sis20.01.56 sis20.01.57 sis20.01.58 sis20.01.59 sis20.01.60 sis20.01.61 sis20.01.62 sis20.01.63 sis20.01.64 sis20.01.65 sis20.01.66 sis20.01.67 sis20.01.68 sis20.01.69 sis20.01.70 sis20.01.71 sis20.01.72 sis20.01.73 sis20.01.74 sis20.01.75 sis20.01.76 sis20.01.77 sis20.01.78 sis20.01.79 sis20.01.80 sis20.01.81 sis20.01.82 sis20.01.83 sis20.01.84 sis20.01.85 sis20.01.86 sis20.01.87 sis20.01.88 sis20.01.89 sis20.01.90 sis20.01.91 sis20.01.92 sis20.01.93 sis20.01.94

I slept good overnight but by 4 am on Friday morning, I was ready to get up and get going…Gawd, I HAVE become my mother!! I went in to work on a cold, snowy morning. It snowed until about mid-morning then stopped. Unfortunately, there was no accumulation again today. I completed my EOC rounds and we even got back our old van from the shop. It hadn’t run in a couple years, so it was great to get it back. I have some history with that old van. It was the one that Ann & I drove to Lexington back when we were still dating in 1995. I had a week-long training and she went along to keep me company. If I remember, she had a nasty coughing fit that lasted like two hours! Then fast-forward to 1998/99 when I brough the van home when we were living on Main St. We loaded it up with all the Owens family – Ann, Matt & I, Mom & Sandy, Keith & Rosie and Deanna & Chad…along with Mom and Dad Bryan…and headed up to Indy to Beef & Boards for a buffet meal and an Off-Broadway musical of the Wizard of Oz. It was a great time…I think there’s a few pictures floating around this blog somewhere from that night… Abby had the morning off and ran around with Megan for a few hours then went in to work at BWR that evening. It was her last shift before she goes back to school this weekend. Luke had school and then went to his final practice before the post season tourney starts tomorrow. Ann stayed in town and worked at the Greensburg office uptown. Kristie took her out for birthday lunch afterward and then came home to nap. Unfortunately, it didn’t quite turn out that way. She ended up having to do some work from home on the computer then dealt with the girls and then dogs as well. So, no nap for Ms. Ann today. Later, Luke had Oakley & Jenna over for a while that evening while Ann & I got caught up on our DVR’d shows. Abby came home from work a little early and visited with us until Gary came down from New Castle to stay the night. We have a ton of social media pictures to share this week.

smp20.01.74 smp20.01.75 smp20.01.76 smp20.01.77 smp20.01.78 smp20.01.79 smp20.01.80 smp20.01.81 smp20.01.82 smp20.01.83 smp20.01.84 smp20.01.85 smp20.01.86 smp20.01.87 smp20.01.88 smp20.01.89 smp20.01.90 smp20.01.91 smp20.01.92 smp20.01.93 smp20.01.94 smp20.01.95 smp20.01.96 smp20.01.97 smp20.01.98 smp20.01.99 smp20.01.100 smp20.01.101 smp20.01.102 smp20.01.103 smp20.01.104 smp20.01.105 smp20.01.106 smp20.01.107 smp20.01.108 smp20.01.109 smp20.01.110 smp20.01.111 smp20.01.112 smp20.01.113 smp20.01.114 smp20.01.115 smp20.01.116 smp20.01.117 smp20.01.118 smp20.01.119 smp20.01.120 smp20.01.121 smp20.01.122 smp20.01.123 smp20.01.124 smp20.01.125 smp20.01.126 smp20.01.127 smp20.01.128 smp20.01.129 smp20.01.130 smp20.01.140 smp20.01.131 smp20.01.132 smp20.01.133 smp20.01.134 smp20.01.135 smp20.01.136 smp20.01.137 smp20.01.138 smp20.01.139 smp20.01.141 smp20.01.143 smp20.01.144 smp20.01.145

Luke & I were up super early for him to get to school and catch the bus to his first Sectional wrestling tournament. Once I got him up, Molly was ready to go out and as we went by her pin, Delilah was ready to get up as well. And as we know, once she gets up there was no going back to sleep. So, I stayed up and hopped in the shower while the girls were outside. The dogs and I enjoyed a quiet morning of watching Ancient Aliens and writing out html code for this blog entry. Once Ann got up and got ready, we loaded up Barney and headed down the road to Brookville. Abby & Gary got up a little later and followed suit, meeting us at Franklin County High School for Luke and the young Pirates’ big day. In the first round, Luke had a bye so he scooted right on through to the second round where he faced a senior from Rushville. It was a tightly contested match. At the end of the first period, it appeared that Luke had gotten a reversal just before the horn sounded. The ref did not give him the points and the contest went right down to the final seconds where he hit a takedown, let him up and then tried to hit a second to win but could not get it before time expired and he lost by two points, 8-6…but could’ve won by one. That sent him to the loser’s bracket for wrestle-back matches. In the third round he faced the boy from Batesville that he had already beaten twice this year. This match was no different as he won by pin in the 2nd period. In the fourth round, he faced a senior from Lawrenceburg. It was a tough match that he had to have…and he pulled out the victory in a grueling match, 6-3 to advance to Regionals next week in Richmond!! Way to go, Lukey!! 😊 But his work wasn’t done. He still had a match in the championship round – to see who gets 3rd place and who will face the #1 seed in the Regionals. He faced the same senior boy from Rushville that he should’ve beaten earlier in the day. This time, he was more aggressive but still made a few mistakes. He had to battle the entire match and he was obviously exhausted by this time in the day. He dug deep and rallied to force overtime, late in the 3rd period. It was sudden death where the first takedown wins the match. And our little Dukester did it!! We were so excited and he couldn’t contain his excitement either, jumping, fist-pumping and screaming! Matt & Taylor came to support him and Matt was in his corner for his ascent through the tourney today. It was so cool to see the two of them out there, united in one goal – advancing to the next round. Matt really helped keep him focused and worked well with the other coaches to guide him today. As parents, it was very satisfying for Ann & I to watch how the three siblings interacted today. Luke’s record now stands at 18-15 on the year. Abby & Gary joined us at the meet as well, coming later in the day but still making it on time to catch his first match…as they got started an hour later than scheduled. Abby did a great job of taking photos today. She was Luke’s biggest fan, cheering and willing him on to victory. I know Ann was sore from clinching and both Bu & I were hoarse by the end of the day. Although it was a long day, it flew by because winning is so much more fun than losing. We are so proud of our baby boy and how far he has come in his first year. Because he put in the time and worked his ass off in practice, he was able to dig deeper than he thought possible to pull out the grueling OT victory and take his place on the podium today. He really grew up today. He is no longer a rookie at this point in the season and we are excited to see what happens next week! We said our good-byes to Matt & Taylor and drove back home where we met up with Luke, who smelled much better after he showered at school. Annie and I took the kids out for dinner – to celebrate Luke’s big 3rd place finish at Sectionals as well as a good-bye dinner for Bu, who heads back to college tomorrow. Luke went out with his friends after dinner and then later he returned to get his TV & PS4 and headed out to stay the night at Oakley’s house. As Abby did laundry and packed up all her stuff, Ann & I settled in with the dogs and watched a few DVR’d shows for a few hours to wind-down after a long day… Here are pictures of the recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.01.35 hwc20.01.36 hwc20.01.37 hwc20.01.38 hwc20.01.39 hwc20.01.40 hwc20.01.41 hwc20.01.42 hwc20.01.43 hwc20.01.44 hwc20.01.45 hwc20.01.46 hwc20.01.47 hwc20.01.48 hwc20.01.49

We enjoyed sleeping in on Groundhog Day and slowly got around to our weekly household chores. It was Palindrome Day (02/02/2020) and was a bittersweet day as it was Super Bowl Sunday (biggest game of the year) but we also sent Abby back to school for her spring semester at Franklin College. She got cleaned-up and went to Grandma & Gigi’s house for breakfast. Luke grudgingly woke up late and drove into town to join them as well. Ann started cooking for Abby’s last meal and stuff to take with us to tonight’s Super Bowl party at the Sunken Boat Bar. The dogs had a better day together. I actually caught them rolling around out back in the grass together. Delilah even had old, grumpy Lola running and playing like she did when she was little. Delilah and Molly are starting to become besties, hanging out a lot outside. All three dogs are starting to settle down and accept their new situation and have found a way to get along. Abs ran to the store twice for Ms. Ann’s supplies. We are definitely going to miss that! 😊 Annie made chicken enchiladas for lunch and then after she got in a good nap, she made chorizo dip to take with us to the big game tonight. Unfortunately, she didn’t feel like going over, so I went stag. We had a great time, watching football and enjoying a ton of food. The halftime was very entertaining as well with both Shakira and J-Lo singing and dancing. Afterwards, we cleared the table and played some poker and enjoyed a close football game until the end of the 4th quarter when the Chiefs made some big plays and pulled away, eventually winning! It was a great game, especially with the cards and spirits. Bob & Pam left before the card game started, but we had Rick, Shawn, Ryan and a couple others that made it fun. Bryan was the big winner that night as it was my turn to donate to the cause. Bryan, Shawn & I stood out back after everyone left, admiring the amazing weather we had. We were all in shorts in the first week of February, amazed at how warm it was… Meanwhile, Luke had Drayden & his girlfriend over to watch the game while Ann tried to nap. I came home and finished up writing this blog entry before calling it a week, wishing we had Super Monday off…

Next up is our Waybac segment which features a few photo albums we had in our bedroom closet. We lead off today with more pictures from Ann’s photography class in college, circa 1990; then we skip to September 1995 for our wedding, reception and honeymoon!

Waybac.1990.apc15 Waybac.1990.apc16 Waybac.1995.09.taw63 Waybac.1995.09.taw64 Waybac.1995.09.taw65 Waybac.1996.09.taw66 Waybac.1996.09.taw67 Waybac.1995.09.tawr126 Waybac.1995.09.tawr127 Waybac.1995.09.tawr128 Waybac.1995.09.tawr129 Waybac.1995.09.tawr130 Waybac.1995.09.tawr131 Waybac.1995.09.tawr132 Waybac.1995.09.tawr133 Waybac1995.09.tah58 Waybac.1995.09.tah59 Waybac.1995.09.tah60 Waybac.1995.09.tah61

And finally, we have our video segment which features two new home movies this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss you, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply