I Want to Sit Around My House and Watch TV

Another fast week had come and gone as we continue to retain our social distancing in the face of the Coronavirus pandemic. Some models suggest that we may have seen the peak of the outbreak and as such, talk has begun to surface about when we might start to re-open the country again. This week was very similar to the last few. We limited our interactions with others, stayed home much of the time and watched a ton of television, missing our friends and family as well as sports, concerts and everything else we should be doing at this time of year… Matt stayed mostly at his apartment in Greenwood, teaching from home via e-learning and spending time with Taylor. Abby did her college courses from home via e-learning, played her new Nintendo Switch and set up a workstation in her bedroom. Luke did his high school classes via e-learning, played his PS4 and began working at Arby’s this week. Ann & I continued to work this week, despite the COVID-19 issues. And although I logged over thirteen miles of exercise this week, I was non-compliant with my diet – opting for more comfort food – and thus gained four pounds. The weather was much warmer this week. The trees, bushes and flowers were all starting to fill in, we saw more farmers on the roads and in their fields and we enjoyed having the house open and enjoying all the sunshine this week. We did have our share of April showers this week, but that’s the only way we get those May flowers so it’s all good… Hello again and welcome to the latest edition of the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work and school for everyone on Monday…just not how it usually occurs. Ann and I drove into work on a chilly, sunny morning in the upper 30s. We had fast days at worked, helped along by the boys and I getting comfort food for lunch at Mancino’s. I was still quite sore from the weekend and had trouble getting up and down the stairs to my office. During my walk that afternoon, my legs and back started screaming at me. I nearly stopped the workout because it sucked so bad. I had squatted on and off for about 45 minutes on Thursday afternoon while marking the units for social distancing. I was so sore on Friday and Saturday that I could barely walk or get on and off the couch. It was still hard to get out of bed on Sunday. Thankfully, it was better that morning – though my back was still sore from all the lifting we did on Saturday. Had it not been for the beautiful weather that afternoon, I would’ve probably quit. I was able to persevere and by the time I finished, I had logged three miles and felt much better. Abby did her college via e-learning that day and got all her work done by the time we arrived home. Meanwhile, Luke slept in till noon then got up to play some PS4 before heading in for his first day of work at Arby’s. He said it went fast. Abby and I had some refreshments on the patio while Ann made dinner. We came in and had a big salad with some chicken. Abby made Ann’s version of Shallo’s ranch dressing that turned out pretty good. Abby & Molly surprised Luke by coming through the drive thru for chocolate shakes (one for her and one for Luke) …until she called Ann in a panic. She had forgotten her debit card and had no way to pay for the order she just placed! Thankfully, she got through to Luke via text so he could pay for her. She was mortified so we razzed her pretty good that evening. We watched a couple shows that night…to which, I slept on and off. I stayed up until Luke got home to see him and then headed on to bed. Here are pictures from Jamie’s birthday parade last weekend.

lp20.04.04 jbddb20.01 jbddb20.02 jbddb20.03 jbddb20.04 jbddb20.05 jbddb20.06 jbddb20.07 jbddb20.08 jbddb20.09 jbddb20.10 jbddb20.11 jbddb20.12 jbddb20.13 jbddb20.14 jbddb20.15

We were up early and back into work on a lovely Tuesday morning. We both had long days, including submitting a request for a new server for our phone system. There is so much red tape involved in a capital purchase, as you might expect. It took me all afternoon – about three hours – to complete the online request. The boys and I went to Yee Kee for lunch, which helped break up the day nicely. Once I completed work, I walked a 5K on a gorgeous afternoon. The wind was a little chilly but there wasn’t a single cloud in the sky. Abby worked on her schoolwork via e-learning and had a pretty easy day. Luke slept in until noon again before getting up and going to work at Arby’s. We came home and Abs & I played Mario Kart on her new Switch against Matt online on the big screen. It was really neat but they kicked my butt pretty badly. It was Taco Tuesday, so we ordered El Reparo for dinner and mixed up a couple margaritas. Abby & Molly picked up our food in Tonya. We all ended up getting their authentic Mexican tacos, but they were all different ones – Ann got chicken, Abby got steak and chorizo while I got the carnitas. They were delicious! We took it easy that evening, watching some of our favorite DVR’d shows. Meanwhile, Luke came home after working for nearly ten hours. He was naturally tired from his long day, but happy to be making money. I can remember my first job at Bernacci’s farm market, back in LaPorte, and how excited I was to receive those paychecks… Here are miscellaneous pictures from our recent adventures.

sis20.04.220 sis20.04.221 sis20.04.222 sis20.04.223 sis20.04.224 sis20.04.225 sis20.04.226 sis20.04.227 sis20.04.228 sis20.04.229 sis20.04.230 sis20.04.231 sis20.04.232 sis20.04.233 sis20.04.234 sis20.04.235 sis20.04.236 sis20.04.237 sis20.04.238 sis20.04.239 sis20.04.240 sis20.04.241 sis20.04.242 sis20.04.243 sis20.04.244 sis20.04.245 sis20.04.246 sis20.04.247 sis20.04.248 sis20.04.249 sis20.04.250 sis20.04.251 sis20.04.252 sis20.04.253 sis20.04.254 sis20.04.255 sis20.04.256 sis20.04.257 sis20.04.258 sis20.04.259 sis20.04.260 sis20.04.261 sis20.04.262 sis20.04.263 sis20.04.264 sis20.04.265 sis20.04.266 sis20.04.267 sis20.04.268 sis20.04.269 sis20.04.270 sis20.04.271 sis20.04.272 sis20.04.273 sis20.04.274 sis20.04.275 sis20.04.276

We had a gorgeous Earth Day on Wednesday. Ann & I worked in Columbus again. I came over to Ann’s work around noon and took some pictures of her office staff with gifts for the birthing center. They raised money and bought them a new camera with all the accessories they’ll ever need. Afterwards, Justin & I went over to our work friend’s house for lunch. He cooked us bacon cheeseburgers on his Blackstone grill that were delicious. We ended up spending the afternoon over there, enjoying his backyard hangout. Afterward, I walked a 5K on a lovely afternoon in the 70s and I ended up leaving town early. Abby had a doctor appointment that afternoon in Columbus and she brought Ann home with her. We enjoyed the weather that evening with a little patio time, having a Moscow Mule to help wind down the day. Abs came home from the doctors and went to bed to lie down and ended up staying there all night. She said she had an easy day and pretty much took the day off from school. Luke slept till noon that day. He didn’t have classwork but did attend a football meeting before heading into work that evening for a few hours at Arby’s. Ann made cheesy Fireworks popcorn for dinner and we watched a couple more episodes of Bosch. I fell asleep on the couch with the dogs, which is pretty typical for me anymore these days…

We woke up to a wet and rainy Thursday. It was obviously cooler and would end up raining all day. I found a wet mess under the sink that morning. Thankfully, I found it early. A pipe had come loose under the sink, so I got it all cleaned-out and put a fan down there to run for the day. I pulled a senior moment when I was cleaning up. While pulling items out from under the sink, there was a small jar with some water in it. Like a dumbass, I poured it in the sink…and it went right into the cabinet since the pipe was still disconnected! We had a fast day at work and enjoyed a great lunch from ZwanzigZ. It was my first time and I really liked their Ultimate pizza. Justin & I bought growlers of their chocolate beer called The Ticket and hope to sample them this weekend. I tried to walk after work, but it was too rainy so I came back to the car and I did a little Hot Wheels hunting (came up empty) until Ann could leave. Luke had the day off from work and focused on schoolwork for once. Abby did her e-learning as well. She looked tired when we got home and she retreated to her room and stayed there pretty much the whole time again. We had a find-your-own dinner night and watched SEAL Team, SWAT and a few more episodes of Bosch season six that evening, as we tried to keep warm under blankets with the dogs. Here are pictures of recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.04.28 hwc20.04.29 hwc20.04.30 hwc20.04.31 hwc20.04.32 hwc20.04.33 hwc20.04.34 hwc20.04.35 hwc20.04.36 hwc20.04.37

I tried to sleep in on Friday morning, since it was my day off…but my body was wide-awake at the usual time. Why is it that the last four days, I could barely drag my butt out of the bed for work but today – when I don’t have to get up – I can’t wait to get out of the sack? I did a few chores around the house while Ann & Abby went to work at Ann’s downtown office and Luke slept in until late. I mowed and trimmed our yard then helped Abby wrangle Delilah while Ann sheered her with our clippers. She is so strong and wiry that she’s hard to hold onto. When we got done with her, Abs & I fired up old Betty White, loaded her up with yard tools and headed over to Mom & Sandy’s house to mow & trim. We spoke to Mom and Dee for a few minutes before heading out to run errands. We stopped at A&W for a quick bite to eat and a float before going to the drugstore and then out to Walmart to do weekly shopping for us and Mom & Sandy. On the way back, we stopped to share a cone at Super Twist. We got cleaned-up and relaxed for a few while Luke planted flowers around the light pole for Ms. Ann. In exchange, Ann ordered Wings & Rings for dinner. It was their first day of being open since the city had them close due to the COVID-19 pandemic. They only had a limited menu and we weren’t able to get exactly what we wanted but it was still good. Their bleu cheese was a little off but still edible. That evening, we enjoyed some patio time with a game of poker, some Jack Daniels Fire, a campfire and then capped the evening off with a couple rounds of s’mores. It was a relaxing end to a pretty day with lots of sun and temps in the 70s.

I was hoping to sleep in on Saturday morning but my body had other plans yet again. So, I got up and watched a couple episodes of West World and let Annie sleep in, since she was up so late last night binge-watching an NCIS LA marathon. When she and Abby got up, they ran to St. Paul to get more goodies from Wildflour Artisan Bakery. My two pastries were amazing. Afterward, Abby & I loaded up Molly & Delilah in the truck and headed to Rebeka Park to walk the trails by the creek. They loved it. DJ really wanted to jump in the creek, but Abby wouldn’t let her. We took the dogs to Rural King afterward to get them new treats. We came home and I checked fluids in the vehicles and then everyone took naps when it started raining. Later, Luke got up and went to work at Arby’s while Ann made dinner. She made these spicy, homemade meatballs that were amazing. Afterwards, we watched a few shows, including the (second) series finale of Will & Grace. We’re sure gonna miss that show (again). It was one of the few that continuously made us laugh. What a great cast and group of writers. Next, we surprised Luke by going through the Arby’s drive through for milkshakes. He was working the cash register and handing out food, so it was a total surprise when he turned around and realized it was us! When we got home, we watched the new SVU and then the series six finale of Bosch on Prime Video. Luke got home early since it was kind of slow, which he was fine with…it allowed him to come home and get on his PS4 until the wee hours of the night. I stayed up late as well, writing out html code and binge-watching a bunch the rest of the West World series two season and Saturday Night Live, which was wild because like they did a couple weeks ago, they sent in separate skits from home. It was quite interesting. There was some good stuff and of course a couple stinkers, but that’s to be expected with SNL… We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp20.04.165 smp20.04.166 smp20.04.167 smp20.04.168 smp20.04.169 smp20.04.170 smp20.40.171 smp20.04.172 smp20.04.173 smp20.04.174 smp20.04.175 smp20.04.176 smp20.04.177 smp20.04.178 smp20.04.179 smp20.04.180 smp20.04.181 smp20.04.182 smp20.04.183 smp20.04.184 smp20.04.185 smp20.04.186 smp20.04.187 smp20.04.188 smp20.04.189 smp20.04.190 smp20.04.191 smp20.04.192 smp20.04.193 smp20.04.194

Ann got up with the dogs while the rest of us slept in on a rainy Sunday morning. I’m pretty sure it rained all night. The dogs were soaked when they came back inside that morning. We slowly got up and did our weekly household chores – well, everyone but Luke. He again slept until the afternoon. I remember when Ann & I used to be able to sleep for double-digit hours but now we’re lucky to get six or seven. We enjoyed a lazy day. It eventually stopped raining at some point. We took naps and I began watching season three of West World. Later, Luke got cleaned-up and went in to work at Arby’s while Ann & Abby went to the store. One of the neat things that the girls found on Facebook was a page for Decatur County seniors. You can “adopt” a senior to do nice things for them since they’re missing out on so many things this spring. We adopted our two favorite seniors this year – Julia and Trenton. They got them a goody bag full of fun stuff for both of them as well as groceries for this week. Ann made us quiche for dinner with some of the bacon we bought at the Mariah butcher shop in Columbus. Add to that hash browns and mimosas and it was a nice little dinner. That evening, we watched American Idol. They took a page out of SNL’s book of staying socially distant and had the contestants perform from their homes. I thought they did a great job of pulling if off. It was the first time for America to vote for the top ten as they will cut half of the field for next week’s show. It was definitely unique and aptly named – The Show Must Go On. It was a relaxing way to wind down the weekend and wrap up another unusual week, here at the Scheu abode…

Next up is our Waybac section which features the penultimate batch of pix from the photo albums we found in our bedroom closet. We lead off with another photo from Ann’s photography class at Franklin College, circa 1990; then we have one more group of pix from our wedding reception and then our honeymoon in September 1995; and finally, we have a special item that I found in a box of papers I was throwing out that we found in the shed. It is my first Father’s Day card with an imprint of Matt’s foot. What a special find it was after all these years…

Waybac.1990.apc76 Waybac.1995.09.tawr114 Waybac.1995.09.tawr115 Waybac.1995.09.tawr116 Waybac.1995.09.tawr117 Waybac.1995.09.tawr118 Waybac.1995.09.tawr119 Waybac.1995.09.tawr120 Waybac.1995.09.tawr121 Waybac.1995.09.tawr122 Waybac.1995.09.tah82 Waybac.1995.09.tah83 Waybac.1995.09.tah84 Waybac.1995.09.tah85 Waybac.1996.06.tffdc1 Waybac.1996.06.tffdc2

We finish up with our video section which features one new family home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Stay safe out there. We miss ya Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply