But You can’t Know what it Means…Unless You’re Seventeen

We’ve had another fast week blur past us since we last touched base. The big news of the week was that Matt moved in with long-time girlfriend, Taylor. They found a nice apartment in Carmel. Ann & I helped them move and are thrilled for them. It brought back memories of when Annie & I moved into our townhouse together in Columbus. It’s a big step and a milestone for us as parents. Now I know how our parents felt – it’s both sad and exciting all at the same time. Matt applied for another job, which will make a total of four now – not that he will work all at the same time. Again, it reminds me of Ann & I when we both worked two jobs for a couple years. Hey; ya gotta do what ya gotta do… Abby was back and forth, splitting time between visiting Gary and having him stay with us and still finding time to work full time out at Wings. She & I were able to disc golf at the new course in the park every other day. Luke survived another trip around the sun, marking his seventeenth orbit with a pair of birthday parties, which he dug. He continued to split his time this week between work and friends again. It was a hot week with the return of storms and humidity to the area – which made moving Matt a bit more challenging. Ann & I decided we need to retire from our current jobs and become over-the-road semi drivers after this weekend’s experience. We had challenging weeks at work, which is making both of us question our futures. I lost another five pounds during the week…now we’ll just have to see if I kept it off over the weekend. I logged eleven miles of exercise this week, falling four miles short of my goal. It’s been a minute since I last met my goal. I was pleased to see the announcement that the MLB player’s union agreed to a deal that will bring baseball back at the end of July. I have to think that bodes well for the return of football… Hello again and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

It was the same old story on Monday – up early and back to work for everyone in the house. The dogs did not do well overnight – especially Lola. She got in trouble in Abby’s room and had to sleep in the living room. She did not like this and had a couple on-purpose accidents, as did Molly – of course. Ann had the short straw for clean-up duty that morning. The kids worked the early shifts at their respective restaurants. Ann & I had long days in Columbus, catching everything up from the long weekend away from the office. Thankfully, the day went fast for both of us. When we were talking about our days during our commute home, there were obvious overtones of COVID-19 and how it has continued to affect both businesses. We find both the businesses trying to find ways to make up for all the loss during the 2nd quarter of the fiscal year. Justin & I weighed-in for our weight-loss competition. We both had lost the same – 0.  So, we had to go to a tiebreaker and I won by ½ lb., meaning Justin bought lunch at China Buffet. It helped break-up the day nicely. As has become the norm, I got out late that afternoon and only got in a little over two miles of exercise in about a half hour on a hot / humid afternoon. I finally talked to Dad B, who is doing about as good as he can. He has to have surgery on his back and is having trouble getting around. He’s a tough old goat so that doesn’t have him down as much as the thought of having his & Lynn’s big cruse cancelled again due to Coronavirus. Since Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand are closed, it’s not looking good and he expects they’ll be notified of the cancellation soon. Because of his ailing body, he also doesn’t think they’ll make it up to see us in the late summer as they’d hoped… Meanwhile, Matt had a busy day. He & Taylor got the apartment, so they started the process of moving with all the notifications and planning. He spoke with Bob’s and they’ll be replacing his mattress and box springs, which have already worn out in just a year. He called several other places, doing some adulating. He decided he didn’t like it much! I brought home few boxes from work to get him started and hope to have some others for him this week when we get in our stock for the kitchen. After work, Ann & I attended a football parent’s meeting. Although it was encouraging that we are planning on a season, it was disappointing to see the poor turnout. We stopped by to see Mom O on our way home. She gave us some food and visited for a few minutes. When we got back to the house, Abs came out with our Frisbees and we went back out to the park to play another 9 holes of golf. I shot from the longer tees this time, which made the round more competitive. Abs shaved another couple points off her score with a 7-over par 31 while I was even par with a 24. We were encouraged to see others out playing the course that evening. We came home and had a clean-out-the-fridge night for dinner before we played Around the World in the liquor cabinet (and no; we still haven’t found a liquor cabinet yet!). That evening, we enjoyed a gin-based drink called a Blue Monday. It was quite tasty, though we did end up adding a little grenadine and making them Purple Mondays.  Luke ran around with Brayden for several hours, ending up out at the park to get boxes out of Black Betty and they ran them up to Greenwood for Matt. They made it safely home before it started storming, thankfully. Luke wasn’t home but a few minutes before going out to Oakley’s house to console him. He was grieving from the loss of his old dog. Lukey ended up staying the night out there, planning to get up early and get in workout with his fellow linebacker. Abs and I wound up the night watching a few episodes of Rick & Morty until late. Here are pictures from cliff jumping last weekend with Abby.

lp20.06.04 awrp20.01 awrp20.02 awrp20.03 awrp20.04 awrp20.05 awrp20.06 awrp20.07 awrp20.08 awrp20.09 awrp20.10 awrp20.11 awrp20.12 awrp20.13 awrp20.14 awrp20.15 awrp20.16 awrp20.17 awrp20.18 awrp20.20 awrp20.21 awrp20.22 awrp20.23 awrp20.24 awrp20.25 awrp20.26 awrp20.27 awrp20.28 awrc20.29 awrc20.30 awrc20.31 awrc20.32 awrc20.33 awrc20.34 awrc20.35 awrc20.36 awrc20.37 awrc20.38 awrc20.39 awrc20.40 awrc20.41 awrc20.43

Molly had another couple accidents waiting for me when I got up on Tuesday morning. Matt began packing up the apartment for a move sometime this weekend. He’s hoping to get the key early this week and begin making trips to the new place with a carload at a time so it’s a little easier this weekend. Luke came home from Oakley’s house and got cleaned up. Later, Abby & Luke both worked the second shift at their restaurants. Ann had folks out up front, so she was stuck filling in at the desk instead of doing her managerial role. I continued to move projects along and began prepping for my semi-annual Hazard Surveillance Rounds, which is my normal EOC rounds on steroids. Matt house-sat in Zionsville for one of his peers all day. Abby ran to the store for us before going into work at Wings all night. Luke also worked the evening shift and didn’t get home until late that night. Ann & I both had fairly calm yet fast days at work. I walked a 5K after work on a lovely afternoon. When we got home, we both took naps as we relaxed with the dogs in the A/C. Here are pictures of recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.06.36 hwc20.06.37 hwc20.06.38 hwc20.06.39 hwc20.06.40 hwc20.06.41 hwc20.06.42 hwc20.06.43 hwc20.06.44 hwc20.06.45 hwc20.06.46 hwc20.06.47

Wednesday was Luke’s seventeenth birthday. I can’t believe our baby is 17 – damn, we’re old! When we came outside to begin our commute to Columbus, we saw Luke had been window chalked! He enjoyed sleeping in and had the day off, as did Abby. They went shopping with Brayden in Columbus, ending up at the outlet mall. Ann & I had good days at work. I began my semi-annual rounds and got in about 5K steps before I even left work. I did not have a chance to exercise after work as I picked up Ann and ran to the store to get supplies for Luke’s birthday meal. She made a ton of food – he chose taquitos, chicken wings and pizza rolls (what was he thinking?!). She also made spaghetti & garlic bread as well and invited over Mom & Sandy to join us. Abs helped her make the ice cream cake then went to the park with me to play a round of frisbee golf. We added a hole this time to make it a complete 9. Abs shot a 6-over 33 while I had a 1-over par 28. After a big meal, we had homemade ice cream cake that she and Abs made that evening! It was delicious. Luke opened up his cards and presents afterwards and he spent the next hour setting up his new iPhone. Abby drove up to Newcastle to spend the night with Gary. Luke ran around with Brayden and Dakota that evening. They borrowed the truck and jack for Drew’s new tires & rims and then later went out to Oakley’s house. They got back late that evening. Meanwhile, I edited pix and vids as we both napped while watching another Law & Order marathon.

Thursday was a fast day for Ann & I. Day 2 of HSRs for me while Ann dealt with challenging people. I walked 4 miles on a toasty afternoon. Abby returned from Gary’s house and worked 2nd shift. Luke slept in then worked at Arby’s until late. Abby’s work friend had an issue with his scooter and so the kids borrowed the van and went to pick him up and run him home. I enjoyed an evening of cards with the boys at the Sunken Boat Bar. We had a great turnout with seven seats at the table. It was great to catch up with everybody. We laughed and laughed, enjoying some great food and even better spirits. I was pleased to break even after dealing a shoe of blackjack. Bob had a new game and I played my favorites during my turns, including: Nighttime Baseball; The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and Pregnant Threes. I’m hoping we can do it again next week… Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis20.06.206 sis20.06.207 sis20.06.208 sis20.06.209 sis20.06.210 sis20.06.211 sis20.06.212 sis20.06.213 sis20.06.214 sis20.06.215 sis20.06.216 sis20.06.217 sis20.06.218 sis20.06.219 sis20.06.220 sis20.06.221 sis20.06.222 sis20.06.223 sis20.06.224 sis20.06.225 sis20.06.226 sis20.06.227 sis20.06.228 sis20.06.229 sis20.06.230 sis20.06.231 sis20.06.232 sis20.06.233 sis20.06.234 sis20.06.235 sis20.06.236 sis20.06.237 sis20.06.238 sis20.06.239 sis20.06.240 sis20.06.241 sis20.06.242 sis20.06.243 sis20.06.244 sis20.06.245 sis20.06.246 sis20.06.247 sis20.06.248 sis20.06.249 sis20.06.250 sis20.06.251 sis20.06.252 sis20.06.253 sis20.06.254 sis20.06.255

I enjoyed sleeping in a couple hours on Friday. The girls got up and ran to Dunkin for coffee before Bu dropped Ann off uptown. Meanwhile, I slowly got out of bed and got around to paying the bills and doing Luke’s school registration, which was online for the first time this year. It is something we’ve been asking about for a few years now. By the time I got done, it was time to pickup Ann. We came home and loaded up her scrapbooking supplies and drove out to Burney for an all-day session with her friends. After I dropped her off, I called Bryan to check on the status of his delivery van that he was loaning Matt to move stuff this weekend. Unfortunately, it was still in South Bend and wouldn’t be back until after he needed it. But Bryan gave me the name of the guy who has a business next to his and he rents U-Hauls. Thankfully, they had one truck left. But it wasn’t the one we needed…it was a small semi – 26’! I hadn’t driven one of those in many years, but what choice did we have? So, I drove over and picked up the keys. I left their lot and drove Betty White over to Mom & Sandy’s house to mow and trim. They were just leaving to pick up Mom’s sewing machine from the repair shop in Columbus. I finished up there and came home to mow. The Craftsman mower crapped out on me again. This is the 3rd week in a row that it’s happened. It’ll work for one yard but then just stop right after starting the 2nd one. So, I eventually put it away and got out the Husqy to finish the job. Abby went to Gma’s house that morning for breakfast and then worked first shift and came home while I was finishing up the back yard. Luke had jumped out of bed earlier this morning and ran into work, having slept in too long and wound up late to Arby’s. When I finished in the yard, Abby & I ran out to Burney to deliver a bag of goodies for Ann, who had left it behind by accident. We stopped by BWR to see Mary briefly and then went to the park and played a round of frisbee golf. It was especially windy that evening. It had flirted with storms all day but we only had a few sprinkles, but the wind played havoc with our 200g discs. Abby shot an 8-over while I struggled to eke out a 4-over par score. We ran to Walmart to get supplies for the week and dinner for the night. On the way home, Abs dropped me off at Kevin’s Storage to drive the big-ass U-Haul home for the night. Gary came down to spend the weekend with us and he and Luke helped me load up the moving van. Afterward we cooked burgers on the grill. Ann called and said she was ready to be picked-up. I ran out to pick her up when I got a call from Abby saying Life 360 showed that had driven into a house and was stopped! Thankfully, I was actually safe but my phone does this kind of stuff more and more frequently – leading me to believe that I may need to start looking for a new phone. I may just do a factory reset and do a fresh install. That’s what we do at work and it does miracles for our computers. I finally hopped in the shower when I got home. Abs was just getting out herself. We had some brief patio time to wind down the evening with a round of Long Island Ice Teas before Ann & I called it a night. The kids stayed up late on the patio but I have no idea how long as I was out only moments after my head hit the pillow. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp20.06.146 smp20.06.147 smp20.06.148 smp20.06.149 smp20.06.150 smp20.06.151 smp20.06.152 smp20.06.153 smp20.06.154 smp20.06.155 smp20.06.156 smp20.06.157 smp20.06.158 smp20.06.159 smp20.06.160 smp20.06.161 smp20.06.162 smp20.06.163 smp20.06.164 smp20.06.165 smp20.06.166 smp20.06.167 smp20.06.168 smp20.06.169 smp20.06.170 smp20.06.171 smp20.06.172 smp20.06.173 smp20.06.174 smp20.06.175 smp20.06.176 smp20.06.177 smp20.06.178 smp20.06.179 smp20.06.180 smp20.06.181 smp20.06.182 smp20.06.183 smp20.06.184 smp20.06.185 smp20.06.186 smp20.06.187 smp20.06.188 smp20.06.189 smp20.06.190 smp20.06.191 smp20.06.192 smp20.06.193 smp20.06.194 smp20.06.195 smp20.06.196 smp20.06.197 smp20.06.198 smp20.06.199

After only a handful of hours of sleep, we were up before the dawn to get ready and drive the moving truck up to Greenwood. We dropped it off at Matt’s apartment and rode with Matt & Taylor to Joe’s Shelby St Diner, where we met up with Taylor’s parents Todd & Amy. They were very nice and we enjoyed chatting over a great breakfast. We love those little greasy spoons like that. I had an omelet and a half order of biscuits & gravy – yum! During breakfast it started raining and it didn’t stop until after we were done moving that day. We loaded up the truck with the rest of the stuff in his apartment then made the slow trek up to Carmel. The truck did a really good job of finding all the bumps in the road. It was so wide that I only had a few inches on either side of the lane, which made it challenging to keep it between the lines during the rain. We made it safely. Their apartment is in a very nice part of town – though I’m not sure there are too many rough areas. We moved the kids’ stuff into the new place in the rain. And, of course, both their places are on the 2nd floor. We had a little trouble with the one long section of the couch, but we eventually got it through the doorway. We spent several hours helping get things setup and put away. Ann vacuumed the sofa intensely for several hours while the rest of us moved in everything. They lost the hardware to reassemble the dining room table, so I ran Matt to the local hardware store for replacements and Todd & I put it together. Poor Taylor had to go into work, so she bowed-out and her folks were long after that. Ann continued putting things away and I helped Matt setup their cable and internet. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t go and so we had to have a service call by a technician. He eventually got the cable working but the internet was still down when we left. We took Matt out to dinner downtown. We were going to go to a pizza place but ended up at Burger Haus. It was very, very good. They had Strawberry Six-Foot Blondes on tap, so I had a couple of those with my meal. We had some spinach & artichoke dip for a starter then they had burgers while I had their fish tacos. Man, were they good! Matt applied for a job while there. They were advertising for a nighttime part-time cook, which is right up his alley! Eventually, we had to say our good-byes and head back home. The sun actually came out for a while, which really made things steamy. We dropped the van off at the U-Haul place and called Mom & Sandy to come pick us up. We were going to have Gary do it, but Abby ended up getting the night off from work, so they went to a party with a bunch of his Chi friends. Luke had a quiet day at home with this PS4 and then worked all night at Arby’s. Ann & I flopped in our chairs, cranked the A/C and watched the SVU marathon until we fell asleep. She was out early while I rallied and caught my second wind. It allowed me to get caught up with my pictures, videos and narrative for this week’s blog. I would up staying up till the wee hours of the morning, outlasting all the kids who zonked out before me. Advil was my friend that night and eventually my body started to dump the adrenaline and I finally turned-in for the night, after being up for nearly 24 hours…

As you might imagine, I slept in quite a while on Sunday morning. Ann got up and cleaned-up Molly’s accidents around the house. It’s uncanny – almost like she avoids the piddle pads. Abs got up and went into work a double shift at Wings. Ann & I ran to the store to get stuff for Luke’s birthday party. Afterward, we drove over to Hibbett’s for a last-minute gift. They weren’t quite open yet, so we popped into Bath & Body Works and walked out with a bunch of new candles. We recycled our current stock and gave a bunch to Matt and Mom. Luke eventually got up and played PS4 while Gary stayed in bed. Ann made hot ham, turkey & cheese sandwiches for lunch. Gary left after lunch and we took a quick nap while watching NASCAR. Delilah got out again when I didn’t put her on the leash. She ate another hole in the fence and ran around in the back neighborhood until I noticed. She came right back but spent the rest of the day chained-up instead of running free whenever the dogs went outside. Later, she actually broke her chain and I had to fix that as well – I’m about over this puppy! Our niece Megan graduated from high school today – congrats, Meg!! The rest of Ann’s family came over our house that afternoon to celebrate Luke’s 17th birthday. We sat and chatted for a while before singing a rousing death-march version of the Birthday Song and enjoyed another Mary Ewing cake and ice cream. He opened up his presents and then after everyone left, we sat and talked with Matt & Taylor before they, too, had to head back up to Carmel. They stopped by to get food from BWR and Ann & I took it easy that evening. I put on more NASCR while I worked on the blog and Ann read and played on her phone. Luke ran cake & ice cream to Phyllis & Dick’s house after cleaning up his room and his desk, which were really messy…then ran around with Dray afterward, ending up in Batesville. We found some leftovers for dinner and relaxed with eth dogs in the A/C, binge-watching more of The Ranch on Netflix. It was a nice way to wind down the week before we get up and do it all over again.

Next up is our Waybac section which features a few different sources: pictures from Uncle Chuck’s funeral video, pictures from Aunt Sally and then another batch from Dee & Chad. WE lead off with a half dozen pictures of Uncle Chuck – with Dad, Sally & Granny in 1950, with his freshman bball team in the late 50s, with his high school bball team in the early 60s and with Aunt Judy’s dad in the mid-sixties. Then we have Christmas at Dad’s cabin with John, June, Barney, Lindsey, Granny, & Cindy in ’89, Ann & I’s wedding – both in September ’95, Dad’s 50th bday at the Parkside in September ’98, a few Uncle Chuck pix in the 2000’s – with Sally & Sue, with John & Barn and with Sue, Sally & Kim; then on to 2003: the kids at Gma & Gigi’s and Luke’s birth in June; 4th of July and Gracey’s bday in July; Luke’s 3 month bday in September; Danny’s and Memaw’s bdays and Thanxmas all in November and Christmas Eve in December; as well as one last Uncle Goon pix form the 2010s with Cathy & Kimmy.

Waybac.1950.sctg Waybac.1950s.ucp07 Waybac.1960s.ucp05 Waybac.1960s.ucp06 Waybac.1960s.ucp10 Waybac.1980s.ucp08 Waybac.1995.09.tawpas01 Waybac.1995.09.tawpas02 Waybac.1998.09.dfbd01 Waybac.1998.09.dfbd02 Waybac.2000s.ucp01 Waybac.2000s.ucp02 Waybac.2000s.ucp04 Waybac.2003.06.ggh11 Waybac.2003.06.ggh12 Waybac.2003.06.lbd10 Waybac.2003.07.foj52 Waybac.2003.07.foj53 Waybac.2003.07.foj54 Waybac.2003.07.foj55 Waybac.2003.07.foj56 Waybac.2003.07.foj57 Waybac.2003.07.foj58 Waybac.2003.07.foj59 Waybac.2003.07.gbd12 Waybac.2003.07.gbd13 Waybac.2003.07.sic04 Waybac.2003.09.ltmo01 Waybac.2003.11.dbdp06 Waybac.2003.11.maobd04 Waybac.2003.11.txm27 Waybac.2003.11.txm28 Waybac.2003.11.txm29 Waybac.2003.11.txm30 Waybac.2003.11.txm31 Waybac.2003.12.oce14 Waybac.2003.12.oce15 Waybac.2003.12.oce16 Waybac.2010s.ucp03 lp20.06.04

We wrap up this week with our video segment which includes one new home movie as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply