He was Born on the Fourth Day of July…

Thinks slowed down a little this week for us. After averaging 13K steps per day last week, I was thankful to only log a little over 11K steps per day this week. I didn’t think it possible, but it was even hotter this week. The state was supposed to move to stage 5 this week, but due to increased concerns with the COVID-19 pandemic, we instead rolled back to 4.5 but there really isn’t any difference from what we’re already doing at level 4. Matt worked two jobs this week, spending his mornings at the Z-West summer camp and then drove down here to work 2nd shift at Aspen Place. He enjoyed working with Taylor on their new home in Carmel. We enjoyed seeing more of him this week. He also got news that his interview for a 3rd part-time job was successful as well. Abby worked fulltime at Wings and enjoyed spending time with Gary. She was so busy this week that we didn’t get to see much of her. Luke enjoyed his final week off from sports as football FINALLY begins this coming Monday. He worked part-time at Arby’s and enjoyed running around with his buddies. Ann & I had better weeks at work. They were still busy, but things calmed down a little, thankfully. I finally reached my exercise goal this week, logging right at fifteen miles of walking. I had lost six pounds coming into the long weekend…now if I could’ve just done better with my eating these last three days…… Hello again and welcome to the latest entry of the Scheu Family Blog.

We had a foggy start to the week on Monday morning as we drove into Columbus for work. It looked like it had rained overnight and the humidity was already kicking by the time Justin, Vic & I went to lunch at China Buff. I won the weight loss competition last week, so lunch was Justin! With the high humidity levels, it was not surprise that it ended up raining that afternoon. With the high heat levels, the index was above 100°. I finished up my semi-annual EOC rounds and by the time I took off my watch that night, I had logged 11K steps. I ran Annie over to a doctor appointment where she got a shot in her hand; I hope it gives her some relief. That afternoon, I got out of work a little late and didn’t quite get in three miles of walking in what felt like a steam bath. It looked like I had gotten out of the lake by the time I finished and I didn’t even go that hard. Abby worked the morning shift at BWR and was sound asleep when we got home. She eventually woke up but by that time, we were winding down. Luke had the day off and he spent it running around with friends all day. He wound up out at the Messers, working on his car. There were a few of the kids out there doing stuff to their cars and Luke ended up staying the night with Drew. Ann & I binge-watched more of The Ranch on Netflix and stayed cool in the A/C with the dogs. Here are pictures from Luke’s 17th birthday party last weekend.

lp20.07.01 lbdp20.00 lbdp20.01 lbdp20.02 lbdp20.03 lbdp20.04 lbdp20.05 lbdp20.06 lbdp20.07 lbdp20.08 lbdp20.09 lbdp20.10 lbdp20.11 lbdp20.12 lbdp20.13 lbdp20.14 lbdp20.15 lbdp20.16 lbdp20.17 lbdp20.18 lbdp20.19 lbdp20.20

It looked like it had rained again overnight when we headed back into work on Tuesday. I think that may be why I slept so well…or that it was two days removed from us moving Matt. I usually don’t feel it the next day but rather the day after that one. Luke stopped in at home briefly while we were getting ready that morning and said he had pulled an all-nighter with Drew and their buddies and that he had screwed up his window-tinting and was trying to get his money back…good luck, buddy. He had a doctor appointment that morning and by the time we got home, he was out cold. Ann & I had better days. I taught an orientation class and wrapped up all the paperwork associated with my EOC rounds. I only managed to get in about two miles of walking before we left work early. We stopped at Mom’s house and visited for a few before going to the funeral home for visitation for Dr. Harp. Abby worked the evening shift at Wings and got home late. Matt worked 2nd shift at the old folks’ home then came over to visit briefly before heading up to his new apartment in Carmel. We enjoyed another quiet night of watching some shows on the big screen and Ann made cheesy Fireworks popcorn for dinner – yum!

Wednesday was another hot one. Although it was only in the upper 80s, the humidity pushed the heat index up over the century mark. Matt got up early and went to training at Z-West for his new job of helping at their summer camp for the next several weeks. He finished up there and drove down to the ‘Burg to work at Aspen Place. He stopped in to see us for a bit and pickup a Rx we got for him after work that night. Abby had the day off. She & Luke drove over to Batesville to have her cell phone looked at and eat at the Sherman House. When they got back, she had Luke detail Tonya and it turned out really nice! That afternoon she drove to Newcastle to spend the night with Gary. Luke worked at Arby’s that evening, giving Ann & I another peaceful night. Ann & I had good days that went by quickly. I walked a little under four miles after work. It was just as hot as yesterday except there was no breeze like last night. For such a hot evening, we decided something cool sounded good for dinner. So, we stopped off at Needlers and picked up supplies for Ann to make tuna salad and pasta salad. It was just the thing to help us chill out and watch the Law & Order marathon on ION TV that night. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis20.07.01 sis20.07.02 sis20.07.03 sis20.07.04 sis20.07.05 sis20.07.06 sis20.07.07 sis20.07.08 sis20.07.09 sis20.07.10 sis20.07.11 sis20.07.12 sis20.07.13 sis20.07.14 sis20.07.15 sis20.07.16 sis20.07.17 sis20.07.18 sis20.07.19 sis20.07.20 sis20.07.21 sis20.07.22 sis20.07.23 sis20.07.24 sis20.07.25 sis20.07.26 sis20.07.27 sis20.07.28 sis20.07.29 sis20.07.30 sis20.07.31 sis20.07.32 sis20.07.33 sis20.07.34 sis20.07.35 sis20.07.36 sis20.07.37 sis20.07.38 sis20.07.39 sis20.07.40 sis20.07.41 sis20.07.42 sis20.07.43 sis20.07.44 sis20.07.45 sis20.07.46 sis20.07.47 sis20.07.48 sis20.07.49 sis20.07.50 sis20.07.51 sis20.07.52 sis20.07.53 sis20.07.54 sis20.07.55 sis20.07.56 sis20.07.57 sis20.07.58 sis20.07.59 sis20.07.60 sis20.07.61 sis20.07.62 sis20.07.63 sis20.07.64 sis20.07.65 sis20.07.66 sis20.07.67 sis20.07.68 sis20.07.69 sis20.07.70 sis20.07.71 sis20.07.72 sis20.07.73 sis20.07.74 sis20.07.75 sis20.07.76 sis20.07.77 sis20.07.78 sis20.07.79 sis20.07.80 sis20.07.81 sis20.07.82 sis20.07.83 sis20.07.84 sis20.07.85

Thursday was another scorcher. Although the humidity was lower, the temps soared into the 90s, pushing the heat index well above 100° again. Ann & I both had quick days at work as we wrapped up things before the long holiday weekend. During our weigh-ins, I was down six pounds on the week and Justin was down a couple as well. So, Justin, Vic & I celebrated by going to Culver’s for lunch! 😊 I was a little late getting out of work on a sweaty, sunny afternoon. I got in about three miles of walking and felt like I had gone wading in the White River. We ran a couple errands after work and Ann made fish tacos and Mexican street corn for dinner. Matt worked at Z-West camp then drove down to the ‘Burg to work at the old folks’ home before coming home. Abby had the day off. She and Luke hung out and ended up in Batesville again. She tried to get her phone fixed, but the part didn’t come in. She picked up Molly’s meds at the vet before coming home to nap. Luke hung out with Bu all day before going into work that evening at Arby’s. I woke up Bu when we got home and we went out to the park to play 9 holes of frisbee golf. We finally figured out the course and can’t wait to play it correctly the next time we go out. I beat her by six strokes with a three-over-par 30. After dinner, we played Around the World in the liquor cabinet. We started with a round of Caipirinhas (made with Cachaca). Next, I made Matt & I a round of Firecrackers. I put in a little too much cayenne pepper – yowzah! We finished with a Long Island before Matt rode with Abs to take the guy home that took her shift tonight so she could hang out with us. When the kids left, Ann & I came in and while she napped, I set up Matt’s bed, checked in my latest Hot Wheels and watched some Law & Order. When the kids got back, we turned on Rick & Morty and promptly fell asleep. We woke up at some point in the middle of the night and drug our weary butts off to bed. Here are pictures of the recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.07.01 hwc20.07.02 hwc20.07.03 hwc20.07.04 hwc20.07.05 hwc20.07.06 hwc20.07.07 hwc20.07.08 hwc20.07.09 hwc20.07.10

We enjoyed sleeping in a little on Friday morning. It was Independence Eve. The kids got up and went to breakfast with Gma and Gigi. I got up and tried to start the truck to join the kids and work on Mom & Sandy’s yard but it wouldn’t start. It wouldn’t even turn over. Who drove it last, Luke??? Anyhow, I charged the battery and just started mowing / trimming at our house. By the time I finished, Betty White was ready and I was on my way. I was already dripping with sweat by that point as temps again soared well into the 90s. The backup mower pooped out on me again. I’ll have to see if Vic can do something with that old thing. It wouldn’t even run for more than 90 seconds this time. I finished up with Gigi’s electric mower while Luke trimmed the yard after finishing his time with Memaw. Matt went to work at Aspen after leaving and Bu went on to BWR to work first shift. After we finished, Luke & I went to Tobin’s for this year’s fireworks. We went for quality over quantity and picked up only three items this year. We got the winner of this year’s loudest and biggest shell – a 5” reload called Death Shell. We also picked up a Screamin’ Skeeters (Saturn battery missile) that will annoy Ann to no end. And a few of our favorite crackers – Aliens, Rise in the East and Thunder Cracker (1/4 sticks). It should be fun! 😊 Luke & I grabbed lunch at Taco Bell then came home to clean up. Afterward, we drove the Hot Rod Lincoln to Batesville to get Abby’s camera fixed (finally). She cracked the camera lens only days after getting the phone. While waiting, we walked next door to the liquor store where I went in to browse and ended up picked up Frangelico, chocolate vodka and caramel vodka – the ingredients to make Ann’s favorite cocktail – the Snickers martini! We came back and chilled-out for a while. When Abby got off work, we went out and played a round of frisbee golf and took Luke with us. I shot a 2-over 29 while Bu threw a 35 and Duke a 38 – not too bad for his first round and using a disc that was 40g less than our 200 heavyweights. We came back to wait for Gary to get there then ran out to Walmart to get our weekly supplies. However, we waited for a while for Matt to get home after work so that we could talk with him before he headed back up to the apartment. Gary came over to stay the night with Gale and we went to Walmart after Matt left. But when we got there, it was closed. I had no idea they were closing so early. So, we stopped by Harvest to get food for dinner. I cooked brats, burger and smoked sausage on the grill while Ann made a bunch of sides. Luke came home afterward with Brayden & Cam so that we could shoot off our fireworks. We enjoyed all the loud fun but saved back about half our stock for tomorrow night… We have lots of social media pictures to share.

smp20.07.01 smp20.07.02 smp20.07.03 smp20.07.04 smp20.07.05 smp20.07.06 smp20.07.07 smp20.07.08 smp20.07.09 smp20.07.10 smp20.07.11 smp20.07.12 smp20.07.13 smp20.07.14 smp20.07.15 smp20.07.16 smp20.07.17 smp20.07.18 smp20.07.19 smp20.07.20 smp20.07.21 smp20.07.22 smp20.07.23 smp20.07.24 smp20.07.25 smp20.07.26 smp20.07.27 smp20.07.28 smp20.07.29 smp20.07.30 smp20.07.31 smp20.07.32 smp20.07.33 smp20.07.34 smp20.07.35 smp20.07.36

We enjoyed sleeping in on the 4th of July. It was weird not going uptown for the annual parade. It will be even weirder when there’s no fair parade. I think I might have to park Betty White in WTRE’s front yard just to keep the tradition alive – LOL! Gary got up early and left to go have fun on the water with a fraternity brother. Cam ended up spending the night with Luke and he left pretty early as well. Abs & I went to Walmart that morning to get our supplies and pickup prescriptions from CVS. It was another scorcher with temps in the mid-90s and the real feel at about 110°. After we got everything put away, I went out and checked fluids in the vehicles and then Luke & I trimmed the trees in our yard. We had planned to also trim the bushes, but it was so hot and we really exerted ourselves getting all those branches down and drug to the street. So, we decided to put it off until next weekend. Instead, we got cleaned-up, ate some lunch and chilled in the A/C. After a couple episodes of SVU, I started watching the historical racing at IMS this weekend. Up first was the IndyCar Grand Prix. I love the road course they made in the infield at the track and it was cool to see Scott Dixon bring home the win. We napped that afternoon before Abby got up and went to work 2nd shift at BWR. We watched the Xfinity road course race the Brickyard afterward while taking naps. What a finish! Wow!! It was great to see the kid from Mitchell, IN (Chase Briscoe) win the race…and it was so cool to see him and his crew climb the fence like Tony Stewart or Helio Castroneves. Ann made a yummy corn dip to take with us out to the Lowe’s for the evening. When we got there, Alan talked me into shooting his shotgun at the skeet course they’d set up. I hit my first shot and decided to leave well enough alone and retired. 😊 I helped Alan grill pork burgers, brats, dogs and chicken. There was a large spread of food that I completely over-indulged in. Many of friends were there, like Bryan & Angie, Rick & Lynn, Shawn as well as Alan & Kristy of course. Luke came out with Brayden and enjoyed shooting a box of clay pigeons, which they really enjoyed…and did very well, I might add. Bryan & Rob played a couple sets, which was cool. Boys from Kristy’s youth group came out and held their 4th annual fireworks display that actually rivaled (and maybe surpassed?) the city’s efforts in years past. Once Abby got off work, we left the Lowe’s to meet up with her at the house and finished up our own fireworks display. We enjoyed a little patio time with some Fired Dr. Daniels. It was the perfect way to cap-off a great Independence Day.

We enjoyed sleeping in again on Sunday morning. We slowly got around to doing weekly household chores. I enjoyed some eggs & bacon with my classic Star Trek. Abs got up and went into work for another double shift at Wings. Luke slept in later that all of us before working 2nd shift at Arby’s that evening. We took it easy that morning, watching some DVR’d shows and napping. That afternoon, Maryann picked up Ann and they went to a family birthday party. When she returned, Ann made a really good tortellini pasta salad and we packed our cooler and headed over to the Sunken Boat Bar to float in the pond. All our normal friends were there – Bryan & Angie, Alan & Kristy, Shawn & Ally, Rick & Lynn, Pat & Shawna, Bob & Pam and several other couples. I enjoyed the water and plenty of cocktails with the boys on a gorgeous afternoon. We had a big pitch-in dinner and visited for a while before packing up and heading back home. Abby got home just after we got in. We got everything put away and cooled down in the A/C. watching the Brickyard 400. It was weird to watch in July and even stranger to see the empty stands, but it was still good to see the cars on the track in Indy…finally. It was a relaxing way to wind down the weekend and wrap up another week before we ramp up and do it all over again tomorrow.

Next up we have our Waybac segment which features another selection of Uncle Goon pix, a few from Aunt Sally and bunch from Deana. We lead off with Grandpa Pug with half his kids in the 50s; then a bunch of Uncle Chuck sports pix in the early 60s; John & June’s wedding @ St. Mary’s and Chuck, Sally & Cathy at the Highland home in the 70s; Chuck & Cindy’s wedding in the 80s; Dad & Barb at Sally’s wedding, the Big Six with Granny at Sally’s house, Chuck & Barb @ John & June’s in the 90s; Ann & I’s wedding in September 95; Dad’s 50th birthday in September of 98; Uncle Chuck in Vegas & with Cindy in the 2000’s; then on to 2003: Luke’s birth and Grace at Gma & Gigi’s in June; lots of 4th of July pix and Gigi’s bday in July; trick-or-treating at Mom & Sandy’s house in October; Thanxmas in November and Christmas Eve in December.

Waybac.1950s.ucp19 Waybac.1960.ucp22 Waybac.1960s.ucp11 Waybac.1960s.ucp17 Waybac.1960s.ucp18 Waybac.1970s.ucp15 Waybac.1970s.ucp20 Waybac.1980s.ucp21 Waybac.1990s.sajw01 Waybac.1990s.ucp12 Waybac.1990s.ucp14 Waybac.1995.09.tawpas03 Waybac.1998.09.dfbd03 Waybac.1998.09.dfbd04 Waybac.2000s.ucp13 Waybac.2000s.ucp16 Waybac.2003.06.lbd11 Waybac.2003.06.lbd12 Waybac.2003.07.foj60 Waybac.2003.07.foj61 Waybac.2003.07.foj62 Waybac.2003.07.foj63 Waybac.2003.07.foj64 Waybac.2003.07.gbd14 Waybac.2003.07.sic08 Waybac.2003.10.tot07 Waybac.2003.11.txm32 Waybac.2003.11.txm33 Waybac.2003.11.txm34 Waybac.2003.12.oce17 Waybac.2003.12.oce18 lp20.07.01

And we wrap up with our video segment, which features one new home movie as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply