It’s Been so Long Since I’ve Seen You…I don’t Know what in The World I’m Gonna Do

What a week it’s been since we last touched base. We enjoyed the unofficial end of summer with a long Labor Day weekend – spent with family, the way it should be… Matt worked his two jobs but he and Taylor still managed to come home to watch some football and see his uncle and aunt. Abby had her first full week of school and extracurricular activities at Franklin. She and Gary were able to come home for the weekend, which was great. Luke had a full week of school and football, culminating with a big game on Friday night – where he played great! He was named the defensive player of the game by Max Preps – awesome! Ann enjoyed a getaway to the beach this week with her girls from work, as they do each year. I logged over 22 miles of exercise this week and although I had lost five pounds during the work week, the way we partook this weekend, I seriously doubt I lost any weight. Robby and Sharon came to stay with us this weekend, which was a thrill. We needed a good break from all the crap in the world and this week did it for us. We finally felt like things had some normalcy for once. It was also a week of remembrance and we had several toasts to the memory of Sandy Bryan this weekend. It was eight years ago this week that she passed away, God rest her soul. She sure would’ve loved seeing her grandchildren this week. We were sure proud of them…we know she would’ve too… Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

We began the week on a chilly note in the low 60s as we headed back to work and school on Monday morning. It was a busy one that flew past us. After work, I walked 3 miles around the airport property. The sun was out and it was hot – real feel in the 90s. After I dropped Ann off at home, I went down the street to the park and played 18 holes of frisbee golf. I shot a 26 and 27. I logged another couple miles to bring my total to 5 for the day. Meanwhile, it was the first day of school at Franklin College as Abby began her junior year. Luke had school and football practice. He doesn’t know yet if he will have a game on Friday, but they are prepping to host Connersville for now. Ann made buffalo chicken dip for dinner that night and we watched a few more episodes of Outlander. Here are pictures from Luke’s football game last week vs. Triton Central.

lp20.09.01 lftc20.01 lftc20.02 lftc20.03 lftc20.04 lftc20.05 lftc20.06 lftc20.07 lftc20.08 lftc20.09 lftc20.10 lftc20.11 lftc20.12 lftc20.13 lftc20.14 lftc20.15 lftc20.16 lftc20.17 lftc20.18 lftc20.19 lftc20.20 lftc20.21 lftc20.22 lftc20.23 lftc20.24 lftc20.25 lftc20.26 lftc20.27 lftc20.28 lftc20.29 lftc20.30 lftc20.31 lftc20.32 lftc20.33 lftc20.34 lftc20.35 lftc20.36 lftc20.37 lftc20.38 lftc20.39 lftc20.40 lftc20.41 lftc20.42 lftc20.43 lftc20.44 lftc20.45 lftc20.46 lftc20.47 lftc20.48 lftc20.49 lftc20.50 lftc20.51 lftc20.52 lftc20.53 lftc20.54 lftc20.55 lftc20.56 lftc20.57 lftc20.58 lftc20.59 lftc20.60 lftc20.61 lftc20.62 lftc20.63 lftc20.64 lftc20.65 lftc20.66 lftc20.67 lftc20.68 lftc20.69 lftc20.70 lftc20.71 lftc20.72 lftc20.73 lftc20.74 lftc20.75 lftc20.76 lftc20.77 lftc20.78 lftc20.79 lftc20.80 lftc20.81 lftc20.82 lftc20.83 lftc20.84 lftc20.85 lftc20.86 lftc20.87 lftc20.88 lftc20.89 lftc20.90 lftc20.91 lftc20.92 lftc20.93 lftc20.94

We had a foggy ride into work on Tuesday. After a quick morning, Abby drove down from school to pickup her yoga mat for class that he had left at home. The girls came by and picked me up and we went to lunch. We tried to go to the new pulled pork place but they were drive-through only. So, we went around the block and ate at Arni’s instead. After a fast afternoon, I got out of work a little late and only managed two miles of walking, but I was sweating like I’d gone double that distance. Despite it being overcast and a little breezy, the humidity saturated the air and it felt like I was walking under a wet blanket. When I dropped Ann off at home, I went back out to the park and walked another couple miles while playing frisbee. I was on a roll, early on. I threw a 25 on the first nine and my skills continued to shine through the first five holes, including a back-to-back par on the island hole (5). However, the back 4 that are on the other side of the pond, is where my game absolutely fell apart. I was on my way to a 24 but instead would up with a 27. Luke had a good day at school, taking a test and then went on to a sweaty afternoon of practice. We received a message that Connersville cancelled the JV football game for this Saturday, but no work on the varsity game as of yet…so we’re going with the old adage that no news is good news. Ann spent the evening packing to leave for the girls’ trip tomorrow. Luke went out running around with Brayden and Oakley that evening while Ann and I watched a few more episodes of Outlander before she leaves and I go through withdrawal from it! 😊

Wednesday was the 8th anniversary of Mom’s death. It honestly doesn’t feel like eight years…it feels much closer to forty-eight years – a lifetime ago – since I last spoke with her and saw her sweet smile. It had rained all night and the front was just moving out as we headed to Columbus. I dropped off Annie at work and said our goodbyes. She and her girls worked a half day then loaded up a rental van and headed on down to Florida. It was her annual “staff retreat” on the beach with adult beverages and lots of laughs. Meanwhile, Justin bought me a new “fancy” facemask that is very comfy. As a thank you, I took him out to lunch at the Sirloin Stockade buffet. It broke the day up nicely. After a fast afternoon, I walked about three miles outside. Although it was overcast all day and the temps were only in the upper 70s, it was still very humid. I drove home with the windows down and enjoyed the breeze (I can’t normally do that with Ms. Ann in the car!). I stopped at the park and got in another three miles of walking as I played three rounds of frisbee golf. My elbow felt much better and my scores reflected it. After throwing a pair of pars from the back tees, I threw a cool-down round from the front tees and surprised myself with a 21 – my personal best so far. By the time I came home, Luke was already home from school and football practice. He was nice enough to clean up the messes from the little dogs that day. He got cleaned up and went out to El Reparo for dinner with his football buddies. I sat out on the pack porch with the dogs and watched the sunset while working on my work laptop. The cicadas were deafening but it was nice out. We only came in when the mosquitos started biting. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis20.09.01 sis20.09.02 sis20.09.03 sis20.09.04 sis20.09.05 sis20.09.06 sis20.09.07 sis20.09.08 sis20.09.09 sis20.09.10 sis20.09.11 sis20.09.12 sis20.09.13 sis20.09.14 sis20.09.15 sis20.09.16 sis20.09.17 sis20.09.18 sis20.09.19 sis20.09.20 sis20.09.21 sis20.09.22 sis20.09.23 sis20.09.24 sis20.09.25 sis20.09.26 sis20.09.27 sis20.09.28 sis20.09.29 sis20.09.30 sis20.09.31 sis20.09.32 sis20.09.33 sis20.09.34 sis20.09.35 sis20.09.36 sis20.09.37 sis20.09.38 sis20.09.39 sis20.09.40 sis20.09.41 sis20.09.42 sis20.09.43 sis20.09.44 sis20.09.45 sis20.09.46 sis20.09.47 sis20.09.48 sis20.09.49 sis20.09.50 sis20.09.51 sis20.09.52 sis20.09.53 sis20.09.54 sis20.09.55 sis20.09.56 sis20.09.57 sis20.09.58 sis20.09.59 sis20.09.60 sis20.09.61 sis20.09.62 sis20.09.63 sis20.09.64 sis20.09.65 sis20.09.66 sis20.09.67 sis20.09.68 sis20.09.69 sis20.09.70 sis20.09.71 sis20.09.72 sis20.09.73 sis20.09.74 sis20.09.75 sis20.09.76 sis20.09.77 sis20.09.78 sis20.09.79 sis20.09.80 sis20.09.81 sis20.09.82 sis20.09.83 sis20.09.84 sis20.09.85 sis20.09.86 sis20.09.87 sis20.09.88 sis20.09.89 sis20.09.90 sis20.09.91 sis20.09.92 sis20.09.93 sis20.09.94 sis20.09.95 sis20.09.96 sis20.09.97 sis20.09.98 sis20.09.99 sis20.09.100 sis20.09.101 sis20.09.102 sis20.09.103 sis20.09.104 sis20.09.105

Luke and I got up and went to work & school on a cooler Thursday morning. I only got a block away from home when Black Betty started making a weird noise, so I parked her and took Barney to Columbus. I had a good day that went by quickly due to staying busy the entire day. It seemed like there was one thing after another and when I looked up, it was time to go. I walked about three miles around the airport property before heading back to the ‘Burg. I stopped at the park and played a couple rounds of frisbee golf. The same strong breeze that helped cool me during my earlier walk was also present while I was playing my first round. My score showed my struggles, as I only managed a 1-over, 28. However, I wasn’t far off and once I made the corrections, I was happy with my 25 on the 2nd nine. I came home and got cleaned-up, just as Luke got home from practice. He said he did good on a test, for which he had neglected to study last night. After five miles, I was pooped but we were both hungry. So, he went through drive-thru for us and we had a grand meal from Taco Bell. We watched the newest Jumanji movie on the big screen and called it an early night.

I’m glad I went to bed when I did because the dogs did not do well overnight. They had me up at 3:30 with their barking and clip-clopping on the hard floors. I was able to drown out their restless pacing by turning up the TV in the bedroom but that only made them louder. I finally got up with them at 5 and stayed up. By that time, they’d already made several messes in the hall, living room and kitchen. I sat outdoors with them, on the patio as we watched the sunrise. I paid bills and then once Luke went on to school, I loaded up Betty White and headed to Mom & Sandy’s house to mow & trim. I went in and shot the shit for a while before coming home to mow & trim as well. Just as I finished and showered, Rob & Sharon arrived from Michigan – where Rob is working at a nuclear facility. We had fun catching up for a few minutes then decided to take our discussion to ElRep for lunch. We had a couple pitchers of margaritas with our tacos before heading home. We continued pre-gaming / tailgating at home for a while. Gail & Gary joined us for the festivities and before we knew it, it was time to head to the high school to watch Luke’s next football game. We met with Matt & Taylor as well as Maryann, Sandy & Jamie. Luke started at middle linebacker but he also started at left guard on the O-line. As such, he had to change his number. We were thrilled when we saw that he had selected his old number (and his brother’s number before him), #63! He also played on the kickoff return, punt and punt return teams. He was pretty sore afterwards but did really well on both sides of the ball. According to Max Preps, he recorded 11.5 tackles – 6 solos, 2 tackles for loss, a sack… (plus an uncredited forced fumble). However, Luke & I haven’t watched game film yet, so those numbers are unofficial. I’ll have his real stats next week. Offensively, he really had some fun with his blocking and he was quite successful as they kept running to his side in the second half. The game was close the whole way. In fact, with only a little over a minute left, Connersville threw a pass that would’ve tied the game, but instead we intercepted it in the endzone and were able to run the clock out to win 28-21 in a real nail-biter that went back and forth. The Pirates are now 2-1 on the young year. We stuck around and talked to Lukey after the game. He was a bloody, sweaty, swollen mess. We came home and ordered pizzas from Pizza King and began celebrating. Matt called it, “getting into the liquor cabinet.” We talked to Ann a couple times that day, who had a gorgeous day at the pool in Florida with her girls. We played euchre all night. Rob & I won every game – like 5 in a row, I think. We finally forced ourselves to go to bed after 3:30, having been up 24 straight hours on a long Friday… We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp20.09.01 smp20.09.02 smp20.09.03 smp20.09.04 smp20.09.05 smp20.09.06 smp20.09.07 smp20.09.08 smp20.09.09 smp20.09.10 smp20.09.11 smp20.09.12 smp20.09.13 smp20.09.14 smp20.09.15 smp20.09.16 smp20.09.17 smp20.09.18 smp20.09.19 smp20.09.20 smp20.09.21 smp20.09.22 smp20.09.23 smp20.09.24 smp20.09.25 smp20.09.26 smp20.09.27 smp20.09.28 smp20.09.29 smp20.09.30 smp20.09.31 smp20.09.32 smp20.09.33 smp20.09.34 smp20.09.35 smp20.09.36 smp20.09.37 smp20.09.38 smp20.09.39 smp20.09.40 smp20.09.41 smp20.09.42 smp20.09.43 smp20.09.44 smp20.09.45 smp20.09.46 smp20.09.47 smp20.09.48 smp20.09.49 smp20.09.50 smp20.09.51 smp20.09.52

I got up early to see Luke off on Saturday morning. He borrowed several pieces of my yard equipment as well as the truck and went to go join a few of his teammates at an old guy’s home to do some volunteer work, which was pretty cool. He & Rob were out talking while hanging out at the truck bed, talking about life, which was cool to see. Afterwards, he was supposed to go to Gma’s house to do some yard work for her, but he was exhausted by the time they finished. Meanwhile, I got up and cleaned-up the house, which was a mess. It was fun to wake up with a houseful of family, though. The only thing missing? Ms. Ann. She was still down south, enjoying another day of sunshine on the Gulf of Mexico beach. We said our goodbyes to Matt & Taylor, who had to work that night. We slowly got around to working outside. Rob & I took down our old fence along the back edge of the yard. We had put that up as a temporary measure after the tornado took out the 8’ privacy fence. It was meant to hold the dogs in while we saved up to replace it. Through the years, though, something always came up that was more important. Then, when the neighborhood went up behind us and they built a house back there, we decided to just be as redneck and obnoxious as we could then maybe they would put one up…which they did! We had to pause when we ran out of battery power. But that just gave us an opportunity to go grab some lunch at BWR and then swing by Tops for a couple new saw blades for the Sawzall. We returned and easily took down the rest of the poles and stacked up all the materials behind the shed until we can figure out what to do with it all. Next, we drove to Batesville to play some frisbee golf, run past their liquor store and try to see the Drakes. We accomplished two out of thee, as they were busy and so we weren’t able to hook up. We were saddened to hear that their old dog, Sampson, had to be put down. He had been sick for a long time. We played cornhole for several hours and ordered Pizza King delivery for dinner. We had a great time playing outside and enjoyed several cocktails, including the Greensburg Sunset, which is a drink we made up with watermelon whiskey, simply syrup and a lemon – an obvious riff off a whiskey sour. We had picked up a bottle at the liquor store for Ann, who had enjoyed a bottle with the girls at the pool yesterday. Unfortunately, the bottle did not survive the night. We eventually came in and wound up playing a few games of euchre before finally calling it a night… Here are some pictures of recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.09.01 hwc20.09.02 hwc20.09.03 hwc20.09.04 hwc20.09.05 hwc20.09.06 hwc20.09.07 hwc20.09.08 hwc20.09.09

We enjoyed sleeping in a little on Sunday morning. We slowly got around to picking up the house before running to the store for supplies. We tried to buy a bottle of champagne for mimosas, but apparently you can’t buy alcohol before noon on Sunday. What, are they afraid that folks will skip church and go get drunk? We drank our breakfast, killing off most of the new handle of Tito’s we just bought and a couple bottles of mixer as we had several rounds of Bloody Marys. We enjoyed playing several games of euchre, which made Rob & I reminisce about the days when Grandmaw & Grandpaw Brown would come stay long weekends like this at Mom & Dad’s house. They would get up early and start drinking and playing euchre. They’d go all day, playing on all three tables throughout the day. The Bloodies were going down smooth. We wound up finding a bottle of champagne out in the beer fridge for mimosas, so we drank all of that next. We returned to the backyard that afternoon for several more hours of cornhole. We finished off the vodka with a couple rounds of Moscow Mules then moved on to some shots. We killed off a bottle of Crown and a then enjoyed a few Patron snakebites. We ordered Pizza King pizzas again for dinner and then came in to play some more euchre. Rob and Abby needed to rest for a bit. Both of them rallied but Abs would stay up the rest of the evening whereas Rob would be up for about an hour and then went back down. We made fun of how he snores like Dad used to, back in the day. We would have to turn the TV up, making Mom so mad… LOL! Megan came over and we played a best-of-three euchre series that Sharon & I won over Abs & Meg in three. And it came all the way down to a 9-9 hand that we won on the final trick. It was like a Hollywood ending – LOL. 😊 Ann came home during the 3rd game – thanks to Luke & Gary for going to get her from Columbus!! She had lots of stories and laughs to share. I ended up going to bed, leaving her, Sharon and Abby to stay up late, chatting… It was a relaxing way to wrap up another long day as we looked forward to a day off tomorrow to recover from an amazing Labor Day weekend…

Next, we have our Waybac segment which continues to feature two batches of pictures – one from Uncle Goon’s funeral and one from Dee’s camera in 2003. We lead off this week with Chuck: In the 40s – with Grann7 and fam on 9th St; then in the 50s with the clan on Highland, as well as a couple school pix; the 1960s at Jeff and in Mom & Dad’s wedding; 1980s – with Cindy; in the 90s- with Cindy as well as a good one with Granny; 2000s – on the golf course with Cindy; then on to 2003: In June we have the girls at Mom & Sandy’s house; In July we have 4th of July festivities and Gigi’s bday; November we have Thanxmas at our house as well as Christmas in December, of course; and three good ones from the 2010s with Sally, Kimmy and Cindy.

Waybac.1940s.ucp76 Waybac.1940s.ucp82 Waybac.1940s.ucp83 Waybac.1950s.ucp79a Waybac.1950s.ucp81 Waybac.1950s.ucp84 Waybac.1950s.ucp92 Waybac.1960s.ucp74 Waybac.1960s.ucp77a Waybac.1960s.ucp85 Waybac.1968.ucp78 Waybac.1980s.ucp90 Waybac.1990s.ucp87a Waybac.1990s.ucp88 Waybac.2000s.ucp89 Waybac.2000s.ucp91 Waybac.2003.06.lbd31 Waybac.2003.06.lbd32 Waybac.2003.07.foj126 Waybac.2003.07.foj127 Waybac.2003.07.foj128 Waybac.2003.07.foj129 Waybac.2003.07.foj130 Waybac.2003.07.foj131 Waybac.2003.07.gbd27 Waybac.2003.07.gbd28 Waybac.2003.07.sic21 Waybac.2003.07.sic22 Waybac.2003.11.dbdp14 Waybac.2003.11.dbdp15 Waybac.2003.11.txm60 Waybac.2003.11.txm61 Waybac.2003.11.txm62 Waybac.2003.12.oce40 Waybac.2003.12.oce41 Waybac.2003.12.oce42 Waybac.2010s.ucp75 Waybac.2010s.ucp80 Waybac.2010s.ucp86 lp20.09.01

Next up is our video section which features two new home movies this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that puts the kibosh on another episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply