Good Times, Bad Times – You know I’ve had My Share…

This has not been a very good week for the Scheu family. We were very sad to hear of the events of Aunt Dorothy’s failing health. She is the matriarch on the Brown-side of our family tree. Mom had been in touch with Debbie & Trudi and said she was not doing well at all with her Parkinson’s. Monday was the final day off for Ann & I and it was the start of Bowl Week in college football. The Cowboys lost last night and are out of the playoffs again. Matt had wrestling practice early on and Luke was also in attendance, to practice with his best friend Alex (his dad, Terry, is the assistant varsity coach). Luke had a ball until Alex complained that his tummy hurt, so Christy came and picked up the boys. On their way home, Alex puked all down the side of her car. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before Luke is also ill…but he had a great time! Terry would later tell Ann that he now feels bad for calling Alex a wussy. LOL! Matt came home, took a nap and then we watched bowl games all day. We saw a couple of great games that went in to OT! Abby had tap dance at Dixon Dance Studio. It snowed almost all day, but wasn’t quite enough for sledding. I’d say we ended up with about 2 inches and we had to shovel for the first time in 2012 already. The roads were pretty icy and we heard of several wrecks, including a nasty one on 65 that saw our good friend Amy and her family parked on the interstate for nearly two hours. Ann has still not gotten in to her Christmas presents of several bottles of alcohol! Ann & Abby worked on Bu’s Science Fair board and I thought it turned out amazing!! We also received an invite to my Cousin Barney’s daughter’s wedding (this is John & June’s granddaughter) in March.

fsoy12.0 aap11.1 asfp12.1 fsoy12.1 fsoy12.2 fsoy12.0 fsoy12.3 fsoy12.4 fsoy12.5 fsoy12.6 fsoy12.7 harwa12.1

Tuesday was our first day back to work, but the kids still had one more day off. Matt had wrestling and Abby had jazz. It was extremely cold that day, including a hard freeze in the single digits when we were heading in to work. It never got out of the 20’s and there was a wind advisory. We saw another great football game – the Sugar Bowl – that saw Michigan win in OT. Wednesday began a warming trend for us. This was the last day for snow on the ground. This was the 2nd long day for me – why is it that whenever you take off a Monday, the rest of the week is filled with Mondays? One cool thing though – Ann’s work friend got us tickets to the IU / Iowa wrestling meet. Thursday was the worst day of the week. It started off with report cards being issued. Abby missed straight A’s by 1/10th of a point! Great job, Bu!! Luke got all A’s except a C+ in reading. Matt however, got his first D. His lack of studying finally caught up with him. Not only did he lose his Honors Diploma, but now he’s not getting his driver’s permit either. In fact, Ann & I are still debating over fall sports participation. Late in the morning, Ann & I received phone calls from school stating that an “incident” happened with a student and a weapon. Come to find out, a student had come to school with a gun, intent on killing himself. He is a senior football player that is known as being quiet, smart and well-behaved. When he pulled a gun out in a class that the head football coach taught, a child ran out and got another coach who was able to talk him down. This was an obvious cry for help; a very dangerous cry – but a cry nonetheless. At no time did he threaten any of the staff or his peers. Let’s hope he gets the help he obviously needs. After school, Matt went to Grandma and Gigi’s house for a short time. After using the restroom, he accidentally dropped his Droid Incredible phone in the commode and of course it stopped working. We had just dropped his insurance a few months ago, of course. D’oh! Thankfully, Abby & Sandy were on it and got the battery out and put it in a bag of rice from Dee next door. We’ll leave it in the baggie through the weekend and see if we can save the phone. If it cannot, we will have to look at getting him a new one or possibly re-activating his old one. So, after his phone went swimming in the dirty water, he headed back to school and travelled an hour away to Brookville with his team to square off against Franklin County High School. Ann & I brought drinks to the meet for all the boys and got a chance to talk with the coaches after weigh-ins. We asked about the kids’ psyche and of course a few of them were pretty shook up. Matt had answered my text earlier in the day that he was OK but he later admitted that it was kind of scary. Ann & I can’t even imagine the terror those kids must’ve felt. The Brookville team was a little dirty and very aggressive and presented a good challenge for our young Greensburg team. Our boys fought hard, but we still came up short again, losing 45-30. Matt drew a very tough match against a behemoth that stood about 6’5” and was a hairy, experienced senior. Matt held his own but was simply out-classed. To his credit, he never gave up and worked hard, never giving up. Inevitably, he was defeated 9-2 but earned a ton of respect from his opponent, teammates, coaches and parents. A couple days later, there was a small write-up on the team, but we were disappointed in the paper that they still haven’t mentioned anything about last weekend’s tournament. Matt was sure sore by the time we finally got home that night. Before he headed to bed, we watched the Boilers get their asses handed to them by Penn State by 20 points. This was Purdue’s 1st Big Ten loss and the Nittany Lion’s first victory. It is always so hard to win on the road in the Big 10. It was a tough loss after wins at Iowa and then at Mackey over the Illini. But the day went from bad to worse as Ann received a phone call from Keith. We were very saddened to hear the news that Rosie’s dad, Vince Kanney, had passed away in LaPorte. Thankfully, she and Keith had made the long trip from East Aurora to LP only an hour or so before he passed. We’re thankful she made it back in time to be with him in his final moments and that he finally resting comfortably after battling his failing health for some time now. Our love, thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to Keith, Rosie & Megan and the Kanney family at large for their loss. There will be a visitation on Sunday night and a funeral on Monday morning.

mwfc12.1 mwfc12.2 mwfc12.3 mwfc12.4 mwfc12.5 mwfc12.6 mwfc12.7 mwfc12.8 mwfc12.9 mwfc12.10 mwfc12.11 mwfc12.12 mwfc12.13 mwfc12.14 mwfc12.15 mwfc12.16 mwfc12.17 mwfc12.18

This crazy weather…on Friday it felt like spring, topping out around 60 degrees. Ann & I took Matt to IU to watch the Hoosiers take on the Iowa Hawkeyes – the school with the dream program. Anyone who is/was a wrestler or follows wrestling knows that the Hawkeyes are one of the best programs out there. This was Ann & I’s first Big Ten dual meet (Matt’s 2nd). We walked in and got lots of funny looks – could’ve been my Purdue sweatshirt?! I actually got lots of comments from the staff about turning it inside out, etc. It was all in good humor, but Ann was thankful that no one saw which car we drove and where we parked! We were lucky to see eight of the top 10-ranked wrestlers in the nation. How cool is that!?! Included in the wrestlers was IU’s 197-pounder, Matt Prowless – ranked 4th in the nation. He won by major decision. Also wrestling that evening was the top-ranked 125 pounder, Iowa’s Matt McDonough. We are very thankful for Ann’s friend getting us tickets again. It was a very nice facility and a great environment. We were invited back down for when Purdue comes to town and Ann’s friend really wants Matt to come this summer to their wrestling camp. Thanks also to Mom & Sandy for watching the two little ones for us! Luke & I took the Pacifica to get the oil changed and ran it through the car wash. It was another gorgeous day. We took down the Christmas tree and decorations (what a pain in the ass that is!). I was pretty tired that afternoon and have actually considered not putting up all that stuff next year. I doubt Ann would let me get away with that however. Speaking of Ann, she somehow managed to miss this portion of the day, out shopping again! Granted, it was Wal-Mart, but it’s still shopping! Ha! Ha! Matt & I watched as the NFL playoffs began. We were thrilled to see our favorite Purdue alum, Drew Brees, moving on and still setting records! I joined an ESPN fantasy league with my fraternity brothers. I am terrible at it and will hopefully be employing the skills of Matthew for next week. The kids worked hard and wanted to get Little Caesars pizza for their participation. We witnessed a lunar halo that evening. It was one of the coolest things I’d ever seen before. Apparently low lying cirrus clouds refract the moonlight through ice crystals – very large and weird. Even Ann went out in the freezing weather that night to see it. Yes, after enjoying springtime-like weather, it suddenly turned cold again that night. Sunday morning, the windows were frozen solid again as it was down in the teens early on. Ann got ready and headed up to LaPorte with Maryann and Sandy for Vince’s funeral. We decided I should stay with the kids and run them back and forth to school and sports on Monday. It was just easier that way. While running early morning errands, I turned on Q95 to hear a very cool radio show called The Deep End with Nick Michaels. I was enthralled with the programming and had to look it up on the internet. I found hundreds of songs that I hadn’t heard in a very long time. It is marketed as “a trip to a time when music mattered.” I encourage anyone who has good taste in older music to check out their website at The kids and I did some basic household chores and treated the kids to Dairy Queen (except Lukey who had a Frosty). It actually warmed up nicely today and Luke & Bu played outside while Matthew did his homework. Matt and I watched a couple of good NFL playoff games again today, including the late game where the Tebow legend lived on! The Broncos somehow managed to win again with him. Crazy stuff and a crazy end to crazy week – and we’re glad it’s over. Let’s hope we have a better time of it this week…

vko12.0 vko12.1 vko12.2 vko12.3 iiwm12.1 iiwm12.2 iiwm12.3 iiwm12.4 iiwm12.5 iiwm12.6 iiwm12.7 iiwm12.8 iiwm12.9 iiwm12.10 iiwm12.11 lh12.1 lh12.2

Now on to this week’s videos… I have included one family video and several R&B videos for Mom and anyone else who enjoys and appreciates the roots of rock & roll. Enjoy…

Next up, we’ll check out some more of these wonderful Waybac photos from the latest batch of scans. We lead off with several crops of an old picture of the group working in the Racking Room at the Lafayette Brewery Inc in the 1935-36 era – including my great grandpa, Elmer Brown; also included is a scan of the back of the old photo, which lists the names of those pictured (very cool); and then finally we have three new photos of Mom & Dad Scheu’s wedding in early ’68, including several crops of a great group picture…included in the picture are Aunt Judy, Aunt Sally, Granny, Uncle Chuck, Dad, Mom, Aunt Sue, Grandpa Scheu, Uncle Hank, Uncle John, and my cousins David, Kathy, Vicky, (Aunt) Mary and Billy – what a classic photo!

Waybac.1936.lbi1 Waybac.1936.lbi2 Waybac.1936.lbi3 Waybac.1936.lbi4 Waybac.1936.lbi5 Waybac.1968.04.madsw37 Waybac.1968.04.madsw38 Waybac.1968.04.madsw39 Waybac.1968.04.madsw40 Waybac.1968.04.madsw41 Waybac.1968.04.madsw42 Waybac.1968.04.madsw43 Waybac.1968.04.madsw44 Waybac.1968.04.madsw45 Waybac.1968.04.madsw46 Waybac.1968.04.madsw47 Waybac.1968.04.madsw48

Next up we have an early photo of my cousin Tammy from about ‘69/’70 – making her about 2 or 3 years old; then a few crops of another classic – this time from Aunt Sharon / Uncle Dan’s wedding of the Bryan siblings in December of 1972 – Dad, Sharon & Vird; then Great Grandpa & Great Grandma Morgan in ’77 and Great Grandma & Mom in December of ’77; the blizzard of ’78 pictures – taken a week later, after some of it had finally melted and we could get in and out of our house in Lafayette – these were taken in February. Quotes on the back of the pictures say: “Front view of my house – note hill on right is down to grass because of kids sledding on it,” “My house & Mrs. Graves’ – notice the snow by the windows at side of my house,” “My driveway and alley,” “The drift between Bev & Doc’s and my house in backyard,” and “Looking down the alley in back.” I remember we were off school for quite a while. Doc was able to come shovel us out of the house and we walked down the alley to my best friend Mark (Vicki & Gary) Crum’s house. Although it would typically take you about a minute to walk; it took us the better part of a half hour to get down there. I remember everything was shut down. Snow was everywhere. We would end up staying with Vicki & Mark for a few days. Also included, we have several more pics from Mom & Dad B’s honeymoon cruise in ’78. You know it was a big party when you have pictures of your favorite bartenders!!

Waybac.1969.tyot Waybac.1972.12.02.sadw2 Waybac.1972.12.02.sadw3 Waybac.1972.12.02.sadw4 Waybac.1977.ggpagmm Waybac.1977.12.anurh7 Waybac.1978.02.bil1 Waybac.1978.02.bil2 Waybac.1978.02.bil3 Waybac.1978.02.bil4 Waybac.1978.02.bil5 Waybac.1978.madbh51a Waybac.1978.madbh52 Waybac.1978.madbh53 Waybac.1978.madbh54 Waybac.1978.madbh55 Waybac.1978.madbh56

We finish up with a couple snapshots of Rob at his baptism with his Godparents, Ed & Charlotte. I forget their girl’s name. I remember they had a cool house with a pool. She also had a cool older brother that turned me on to AC/DC for the first time. This picture was from December of 1979 at our church in Temple City, CA. Next we have a couple crops of a GREAT picture of Rob & I with Grandmaw & Grandpaw Brown in their living room in Lafayette in January of 1980. Then we have a cool picture of Mom & Rob (4 months old) sitting in our kitchen out on N. Soreno Dr. in California in February of 1980; Then we came back again to Lafayette a couple months later – in April 1980 for Rob sitting up on his own at Grandmaw & Grandpaw’s house on their davenport; another picture of Katie the ballerina in about ’86 or so; and finally Rob’s certificate for attending the LaPorte Slicer Football Camp w/ my old coach – Bob Strieter in what I would imagine is about ’86 or so as well.

Waybac.1979.12.rwgpeac1 Waybac.1979.12.rwgpeac2 Waybac.1980.01.rtgg.rmgfft1 Waybac.1980.01.rtgg.rmgfft2 Waybac.1980.02.mw4moric Waybac.1980.04.02.rebod1 Waybac.1980.04.02.rebod2 Waybac.1986.kb1 Waybac.1986.rblpsfc

Well that does it for this episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks as always for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one.
Later, Scheu

1 comment to Good Times, Bad Times – You know I’ve had My Share…

  • Mom

    Wow…don’t know where to start…the pics and video were great. Please give our sympathy to Rosie and Keith and the family regarding her dads passing. She was blessed to have him this length of time and so sorry she was able to get there to be with him and her mom at the end. Now, the Waybac pics…the one of your Great Grandpa Brown, if you look at the closeup of him and the man standing behind him in the dark sweater, well his brother is behind that guy in the sweather…Uncle Walt. He was really a very nice man I guess as everyone loved him and mom writes about him at Grandma Brown’s house off and on for dinner, etc. I sure hope your Aunt Judy sees these pics of my wedding as the last one is of the photographer’s (Aunt Judy’s uncle) wife (her aunt) holding a very young David!! I loved it!!! Oh we were so young then. The ones of Rob were adorable also. I loved that one with Grandpa, you Grandma, Rob and Schnapps!! The ones from Robs baptism are also priceless. Tell Matt I was biting my nails during his meet and I knew how it turned out!!!!!!! Love ya and thanks for the Smokie music~~~~~~

Leave a Reply